PTC13 - Hermuda: The Vale of Heroes
My entry to the PTC13 competition, hosted by Tetsuo Shima.
||The Conquerors 1.0c
In this entry, you can either just watch and listen to the map itself, or, you could play the backstory. You play as Shogun Yakamura on the March 31st. An experienced cavalry archer who was sent into battle. After a blizzard, he went missing. He got an illness and he wrote notes in certain areas in the Hermuda region. He eventually passed out and woke up in an amnesia. Other people told him to retrieve the notes. While retrieving the notes, you read what has happened, what has been done whilst being written.
|Author||Comments & Reviews ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )|
Well, firstly I wished to give 4.3 to this, but there are some limitations in this review system :p. Hermunda: The Vale of Heroes is a well done scenario telling the story of a 'cavalry archer' who was fightning a war and by someway ended up in a town.
This is a common story, previously used in many films/games... Nothing special to say here.
However, the way you told it was a quite good, and the mistery atmosphere helps to keep the player playing it.
MAP DESIGN: 5
Great map design! Such beatiful forests, rivers and villages. However I saw some ugly areas of the map.
- All forests weren't spruced inside, only in the borders, and you could vary the types of trees a bit more.
- You've overused the terrain "grass 1", by laziness or oversight I guess... Some parts were left not-spruced (eg. the roads had grass above, which is a bit unrealistc). You could use a bit more dirt 1, dirt 3.
- You used elevations, but lopsidedly. There are some places you used them exaggeratedly, and some you didn't even used.
Otherwise what I saw was a pretty good map and pleasing to look for.
PS: How did you made those rivers with deep water + shoreless water?! They looks awesome :p
Like I said in the story section, there's nothing special here, so I'll not talk about the storyline, but about the design tricks:
- Great rivers, and very realistic ones (as I said before).
- Well done beaches, with uses of some objects I've never seen before.
- I liked the mixed use of bamboos plus palm trees and rocks, it looks very good (Y).
- Cool graveyard upon mountains!
- No-sense placed trebuchets.
- Elephants? Wtf? Why?
- Not very good use of flowers.
- Not much realistic town (the one from begging). Like - Why you put ruins near a Town center. And why those guys would make a dock in a flat river instead building it in the sea (not so far from the town).
- Overuse of "tree a" and ruins.
So, it's a more or less unique scenario, not one you would say "AWESOME!!" or something such, but it still deservers a "Well done!".
This is a very well designed scenario and recommended for download - So download it, and enjoy the beatiful map it have.