A Roman Crisis "Before" - Version 1
SP & MP Custom Scenario
Greetings fellow Age player!
I present to you a classic-style build-and-destroy scenario enhanced with a variety of features and designed to replicate that old-school RTS feeling of playing for hours on end, slaying thousands of enemies, and placing yourself in the history books as a great conqueror.
When the Definitive Edition was released, that spark of nostalgia took me over and led me to forge this map for all of our enjoyment, beyond the competitive meta, quick RM games, and the like. In this scenario, you take control of a "barbarian" tribe that is pushing into Roman territory near the fall of the Western Empire. Chart your course through the foreign terrain and discover all the hidden secrets and strategic positions along the way!
This release is Part 1 of 2 — both maps offer a different experience upon multiple playthroughs, depending on civ selection, play style, and AI scripting. If you and your allies succeed, then I encourage you to check out the other map ("After") that should offer an even longer and more challenging experience!
- ONLY play on Hardest or Extreme AI difficulties
(You'll see what happens if you try an easier setting hehe)
- Team and visibility options along with enemy civs have been preset
- Recommended civs for Players 1 and 2 have also been preset but can be changed
(I challenge you to only select from the more accurate options for that region and era)
- Experiences are best when shared! As such, multiplayer is the most fun but singleplayer also works
(Depending on variables like player skill and AI difficulty, the map tends to last longer in SP but results may vary)
- 3 vs 4 (2 allies, 3 enemies, and 1 neutral player)
- Over 100 triggers (probably nothing too crazy)
- Scripted events (both mandatory and optional)
- Access to special units and structures
- Gameplay choice rewards and punishments
- Playtime typically ranges between 3 and 5 hours
Both variants of this map took me some 350+ combined hours to create since the release of the game. Dozens of full and partial playtesting sessions were spent smoothing out the kinks, but if you happen to find any 'major' bugs, please let me know!
Also available on the official ageofempires.com
Special thanks go to Mark M. (aka Primarch Mark aka Brother Mark) for helping me on multiple intensive playtest sessions!