Age of Kings: The Conquerors
(Original CD Version)
with 1.0C Patch
FROM J. BURNELL's SUMMARY:
This is a short scenario which tells the tale of the true meaning of Christmas. It follows the story line, as it is in the Bible with a few changes, creating some "modern" aspects to the well known traditional story.
There is no fighting or death in this scenario (it's about Christmas), and the game is mostly in the form of cutscenes.
I appreciate that this has been done before on Age of Empires II, (by AnastasiaKafka, I believe) so I am not trying to be original or anything like that, but I made this for last Christmas for my friends, but have only just finished it now. I also wanted to make a game that depicted more of the actual story than just the birth of Christ itself.
Once again, thank you for downloading,
INSTALLATION ON WINDOWS:
1. Copy the .cpx file from the Zip file that you downloaded to your C Drive's main "Age of Empires II\Campaign" Folder. The mission comes in the form of a Campaign with only one scenario.
2. Move all the sound files in the Zip file's "Sound" Folder into your computer's main "Age of Empires II\Sound\scenario" Folder.
RAKOVSKY'S DESIGN NOTES:
In 2009, J. Burnell submitted his "A Christmas Story" scenario that he made on his Mac to the AOK Blacksmith, but it only worked on Macs. He asked in his comment section if anyone could give suggestions on making it work on Windows.
This week, MePy2 on the "Age of Empires II Gold Edition for Mac OS X" Discord Server fixed it to work on Windows. He suggested that I upload it to the BlackSmith.
I liked the Scenario a lot. It worked on my AOE2:TC 1.0C program. I have Windows 7, so to make my program work on Windows 7, I installed AOE2:TC using the original CDs, then installed the 1.0C patch, and then used the Userpatch 1.5 Mod to Create a separate "age2_x1.0c.exe" file to run the game.
When I tried to play the Campaign in the AOK(HD)(2013) Steam version, the Campaign did not show up in my list of Campaigns. So probably it only works in the original CD version. However, there may be a way to make it work in the AOK:HD Steam version as well.
RAKOVSKY'S GAMEPLAY NOTES:
- Set the Game Speed to Normal
- Turn your Game's Music level to 0 in your Options menu
- The Yellow Battering Ram between the magi and Bethlehem probably represents the star.
- On their way to Bethlehem, one of the magi probably asks another one (Balthasar) something along the lines of, "Should we tell Herod where the baby is?" But the triggers split this sentence into two different chat messages, so the Player may not realize that this is one sentence. According to MePy2, the original Mac version has the same issue. I did not notice any other flaws.
- In the final scene in the manger, music plays and the characters stand still. After a while, the game ends on its own, so you can wait instead of resigning if you want to get to the Victory screen.