Posted on 09/29/01 @ 12:00 AM (updated 11/09/01
||The Conquerors 1.0c
||Build and Destroy
Scripted by MATEI and BALLARD
Bug Correction by GANDALF
Where a river deposits sediments more rapidly than the sea can remove them, a DELTA forms. So named after the triangular Greek letter "DELTA", due to the triangular shape a DELTA tends to form as many rivulets branch off from the river.
Matei and Ballard have recreated the effect of a DELTA in this RMS, "THE DELTA" - with the sea on one side, and sediment islands formed by the rivulets running off a great river on the other side. Small sandbars are dotted about the bay, and mineral-rich islands can be found nestled amongst the rivulets. The seas teem with fish due to the constant stirring of the seabed by the river, and aboundant minerals are swept from the distant mountains by the river and are deposited around the DELTA.
|Mekong Delta, Viet Nam:|
Click map to view full-sized screenshot.
- The map has the sea on one side; the other side has players separated by shallow rivers, as well as some sediment islands. A road connects you to your allies.
- Two small sediment islands rich in gold/stone; whoever can gain control of these will have a definite advantage, so there's always a heated conflict going on there.
- Seas teeming with fish - but it's pretty hard to defend.
- Tiny islands on the sea can be used to build docks on and allow your boats to get distant fish faster.
- Slight variations in amounts of resources each game.
- Five map locations: asian, tropical, desert, temperate or rainforest.
- Beautiful terrain and eye-candy for each map type.
- In Regicide, start with only a king and a keep extra (or two kings!); this makes Regicide games more intetresting and allows the possibility of an early victory.
- Sometimes you have extra random starting units for different strategies each game; these can include a barracks, a second TC, houses, double the normal villagers, different types of soldiers, and more.
Two typical Deltae mini-maps - one lush, one arid:
With an interesting mix of Coastal, Salt Marsh, Rivers, and Highland - The Delta provides the player with a large range of possible gameplay styles, all very fun due to the varied uniqueness of the map.
Dominate the rivulets and ocean with a naval-based strategy, or take-over the land islet by islet with a land-based strategy? Both? The different possibilities are vast!
Expect fierce battles on land and on sea for dominance of those mineral-rich sediment islands.
Can you control The Delta - or will you be swept away like a piece of flotsam by the rushing river?
Script Editing: Ballard
Original Concept: Ballard
Majority of Concept Expansion: Matei
Bug Correction: Gandalf
|Author||Comments & Reviews ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )|
cool...i was designing a delta map too...no ocean though
this was a fun map, good job