This map is based on the original cersion of Deep Forest. It is basically a Black Forest type map with some twists. There are no sheep (because I don\'t believe you\'d find sheep in a wild forest). There are more deer and boar than on the ES classic. Stone and Gold are slightly increased. Small lakes are abundant. All players are connected to each other, and to the center of the map. But the BEST twist is the variations. There are ten variations to this map, and each time you play the game will select one. They are:
1. The map has a great deal more food than normal. Extra deer, boar, and forage in the player areas, and extra fish in the lakes.
2. The map has extra stone. Each player starts with a slightly larger starting pile, and there are 3 extra small piles in each starting area.
3. Each player starts with a barracks and a blacksmith.
4. Each player starts with a second TC.
5. Each player starts with a market and two trade carts.
6. Each player starts with a monastery and two monks. In this version, there are 5 times as many relics as normal (40 instead of 8). Fill your monastery early to get a boost to get to imp earlier to upgrade those monks\' speed to get MORE money. Relic victory not likely ; )
7. Each player starts with two extra villagers, and 2 houses. Get off to a quick start. Chinese still get their bonus.
8. Each player starts with two hunting wolves. They make great spies, and are great for killing off unguarded vils. If the vils gang up on you, go hide amongst gaia wolves!
9. Each player starts with a tiny army - four men at arms and two crossbowmen. Quick harassment or defense against same.
10. Each player starts with a siege onager. A powerful piece of equipment, to be sure, but not much of a threat on its own. Anything it doesn\'t kill will surely kill it. Use it to tunnel through the forest to other clearings.
That\'s it. I hope you enjoy it. Feedback is welcome, encouraged, appreciated. Post here or send it to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
OK, it's updated. You may download away. I hope you enjoy it. Although it's not saying much, it's my best map yet.
Doskei File Author
Posted on 04/03/02 @ 12:00 AM
Don't download this map yet. I've had an update ready to post for it since yesterday, but the update form is not working at the moment. AS SOON AS IT IS WORKING I WILL UPDATE THIS MAP. Please wait until then to d/l it, as the new version is much better. Thanks,
Posted on 04/10/02 @ 12:00 AM
GOOD: This is a good map to play a defensive game. You can easily defend your town because it's nearly totally surrounded by the woods. Great game play. There are more than enough resources. Sometimes you have to chop tree to find a relic, stone or gold. So better play it with a explored terrain.
BAD: There is no eye candy at all. Not even elevations.
Posted on 05/08/02 @ 12:00 AM
I really enjoy the whole varying setup, one time more settlers, one time more units, more resources, they way the woods are setup with pathways, and lots of clearing, lakes with pathways that the i can come through!
I am thoroughly satisfied and am playing my 10th game in 4 days with this map. I coupled with several ai files and am now enjoying the challenges that the awesome AoE:The Conquerors was meant to do!