You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Town's Crier
Moderated by Popeychops, Major Helper, Lord Sipia

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.32 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 12-16-17 05:20 PM CT (US)         
Spoiler-free discussion can go in the SS. Keep all spoilers here.

I hope I'm not just going to be talking to myself.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
AuthorReplies:
ax_man1
Squire
posted 12-16-17 06:47 PM CT (US)     1 / 32       
Don't worry Moff, I'll be here to keep you company...when I remember that threads outside of SS and the politics one exist

B-wings really put on some weight, didn't they. There wasn't a really good shot of any A-wings, but from what I could tell, they looked sleeker, if more angular.

ax_man1

Owner of a post 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500
Not all are in the same thread, but 4 of them are
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-16-17 06:49 PM CT (US)     2 / 32       
SF-17 Star Fortresses, according to Wookiee. They uh... they didn't even try there, did they?

And yeah, those are Mark II A-Wings. The bombers, though... on the one hand, I like the idea of a heavy bomber (I have none in my long-suffering RPG, though Skipray Blastboats come close). I appreciate that not every combat craft is either a one- or two-man vehicle or a fully-crewed capital ship with nothing in between. But shit, they just seemed utterly useless. And a single one is capable of nuking that dreadnought?

So why did you commit so many bombers and so few fighters? Why were there no bombers at Starkiller? Wasn't the problem you couldn't punch your weapons through the armored structure covering the weak point, until Chewie and Han blew it open from the inside? Gee. Maybe if you brought your bombers...

That hyperspeed kamikaze, though... daaaaaaaaamn. There's a lot of Japanese influence in the film, and that was one of the times it really worked and will hold up well. The Iron of Doom is probably going to get old after a couple viewings.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology

[This message has been edited by Moff von Degurechaff (edited 12-16-2017 @ 06:53 PM).]

Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 12-17-17 09:58 AM CT (US)     3 / 32       
It's three great one-hour films trapped inside one merely good one.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
ax_man1
Squire
posted 12-17-17 11:59 AM CT (US)     4 / 32       
Yeah, they tried to do a lot for the time they had.

And yeah, that hyperspace kamikaze...not only heroic but visually awesome watching Snoke's ship get sliced in two and the debris obliterating several other ships.

ax_man1

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-17-17 01:10 PM CT (US)     5 / 32       
I do find the film growing on me the more I think about it.

...It's like KanColle in that way. One step closer to my dream crossover...

[This message has been edited by Moff von Degurechaff (edited 12-17-2017 @ 01:14 PM).]

ax_man1
Squire
posted 12-17-17 04:01 PM CT (US)     6 / 32       
SF-17 Star Fortresses, according to Wookiee. They uh... they didn't even try there, did they?
Eh, not really, lol. Still looks like a fat B-wing.

And they used gravity mechanics for the space bombs. I could see them moving like that if they were propelled, but given how the ship is built, it doesn't make sense unless it turns 90 degrees up to aim, which is impractical. Then again, they didn't seem all that fast or maneuverable to begin with. Should've stuck with the way bombs were done in X-wing vs TIE, where they're more like an unpropelled torpedo.

ax_man1

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-18-17 08:14 AM CT (US)     7 / 32       
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Parallela_Grammus
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rhomby_Grammus

It's not quite to "Elan Sleazebaggano" or "Whorm Loathsom" levels, but it's getting there.

Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 12-19-17 06:20 AM CT (US)     8 / 32       
Ultimately, in space, if you let something go and give it a shove, it will keep going in that direction. So don't bother with explosives, and waste ~half of the explosion going outwards away from your target! Just get something big, stick a rocket on the end, and shove it into your opponent. Rather like... ...oh.

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-20-17 09:39 AM CT (US)     9 / 32       
Look, the bombers were just there because WW2 in Space. You wanna argue the rails were maglevs, fine. It's also worth noting that the bomb-bay catwalk was right over the opening. But, you know, forcefields and stuff.

Look, when I gotta tell you not to sweat the science...

Great_Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 12-22-17 06:20 AM CT (US)     10 / 32       
Could resistance's crusier be Home One by any chance?

Nevermind just found out it's not :/

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 12-22-2017 @ 06:22 AM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-22-17 10:07 AM CT (US)     11 / 32       

I need to see if this is still canon.

Aww, it's not.

MawBTS
I ONCE PUT AN ENTIRE ORANGE INTO MY MOUTH
(id: Bart Pimpson)
posted 12-24-17 04:41 AM CT (US)     12 / 32       
Ultimately, in space, if you let something go and give it a shove, it will keep going in that direction.
Does it bother anyone that when Alderaan explodes, it discharges planar rings that visibly slow as they move through space? How? There's no possible breaking mechanism! Literally unplayable!

Thankfully this is the only scientifically implausible part of the Star Wars movies.
ax_man1
Squire
posted 12-25-17 04:34 PM CT (US)     13 / 32       
Well there's also starcraft engine sounds in space (most notably TIE fighters).

ax_man1

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-25-17 05:00 PM CT (US)     14 / 32       
Audio emulators, so you can hear the engine from the direction of the contact. Because, you know, a WW2 Spitfire pilot could've totally heard the drone from the Messerschmitt.

MawBTS
posted 12-26-17 04:09 AM CT (US)     15 / 32       
Audio emulators, so you can hear the engine from the direction of the contact. Because, you know, a WW2 Spitfire pilot could've totally heard the drone from the Messerschmitt.
Would that be useful? If a ship is moving at an appreciable portion of c, then any contact I get will be well out of date.

Although you could say the same about a visual positioning system, too. Lucas's idea of spaceships conducting WWII-style dogfights is dramatic but pretty unreal.

I think realistic space combat would involve spreading billions of tons of dust across contested space lanes, to limit the enemy's movements. SW ships in hyperspace can reach speeds of 1E8 times C. At those velocities, a single speck of dust would have enough kinetic energy to destroy an ISD. And it would be drone vs drone warfare: no error-prone human pilots involved.
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-26-17 10:14 AM CT (US)     16 / 32       
Well, even using Curtis Saxton's extreme acceleration figures of 4200G for a TIE Fighter, it would still take about 12 minutes of hard, constant burning to reach 0.1c. At that acceleration, it'd be very rare for a TIE Fighter to burn in a straight line for that long; you'll be from the hyper limit to the planet long before then. And in deep-space engagements, you'll have spanned most engagement distances and begun maneuvering (you'll have actually had to kill your acceleration so you can build a meaningful vector on the desired heading).
I think realistic space combat would involve spreading billions of tons of dust across contested space lanes, to limit the enemy's movements. SW ships in hyperspace can reach speeds of 1E8 times C. At those velocities, a single speck of dust would have enough kinetic energy to destroy an ISD. And it would be drone vs drone warfare: no error-prone human pilots involved.
Careful when discussing FTL kinetic energy. Really, any faster-than-light collision would have an imaginary energy, because the Lorentz factor becomes the reciprocal of the square root of a negative number. Also, ships in Star Wars do have non-combat particle shields to push dust and small rocks away.

[This message has been edited by Moff von Degurechaff (edited 12-26-2017 @ 10:18 AM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-26-17 12:44 PM CT (US)     17 / 32       
Also, obligatory react video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VyZ6XWwY8

This one has nice sound editing.

Great_Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 12-26-17 01:20 PM CT (US)     18 / 32       
I do feel JonSolo's YouTube Channel has nice, mainly SW content.

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-26-17 01:23 PM CT (US)     19 / 32       
There is also this.
https://www.facebook.com/isangkahigisangtokhang/videos/1049614005180873/?hc_ref=ARS3qZbAT3DIl3EQNYE4G8WojGTbTRkUss0Zxbdlskxy9o1b6gPnmZjTPhLtMXoYVBM

MawBTS
posted 12-27-17 04:12 AM CT (US)     20 / 32       
Well, even using Curtis Saxton's extreme acceleration figures of 4200G for a TIE Fighter, it would still take about 12 minutes of hard, constant burning to reach 0.1c. At that acceleration, it'd be very rare for a TIE Fighter to burn in a straight line for that long; you'll be from the hyper limit to the planet long before then. And in deep-space engagements, you'll have spanned most engagement distances and begun maneuvering (you'll have actually had to kill your acceleration so you can build a meaningful vector on the desired heading).
Thanks, that makes a bit more sense.

Maybe we're too hard on Curtis Saxton. Most of the truly wanktastic things in Star Wars (the destruction of Alderaan, same-day travel across a galactic arm) are canon and come straight out of the movies. All Saxton did was try to apply numbers to the insanity.
Careful when discussing FTL kinetic energy. Really, any faster-than-light collision would have an imaginary energy, because the Lorentz factor becomes the reciprocal of the square root of a negative number. Also, ships in Star Wars do have non-combat particle shields to push dust and small rocks away.
I'm not a physicist, but my understanding is that Einstein's equations shit the bed when v = c, and Star Wars' FTL travel would require some exotic new branch of physics. You have to ignore Lorentz invariance to even get to c, otherwise you have infinite mass, right? Why even calculate further?

Nobody knows exactly how Star Wars's FTL works (including the writers), but apparently physical objects leave a "mass shadow" in hyperspace, so crashing into stuff seems like a distinct possibility in hyperdrive. Although that may be one of those EU things people hate.
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 12-29-17 06:02 PM CT (US)     21 / 32       
Saw it yesterday.

It is better than TFA or any of the prequel films, and is in the discussion with rotj, in that it is emotionally successful while having a lot of nonsense in it.

The Luke stuff is all very good, and Po who was a wasted character in TFA is actually good here. They also fixed a lot of Rey's Mary sue issues and made her likeable again. Adam Driver is again very good. Yoda's scene was perfect.

Finn and Rose and that entire plotline are filler and dumb. Phasma continues to be a worse and more pointless character than Jar Jar. Honestly the movie would be better if Finn had been in a coma through the whole thing. Leia is fun to watch but ultimately also pointless.

I'd say its a really good movie, because ultimately it tells an interesting amd different story and makes me feel things. Its not exactly the star wars story I would have wanted them to tell, but its a good story so I'm happy. The prequels told interesting stories but were emotionally lacking, and The Force Awakens nailed it emotionally but told a boring, tired, clichéd story. Rogue one was emotionless and had no story.

So good job star wars. 8/10

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-02-18 08:56 AM CT (US)     22 / 32       

Even in Star Wars, the ponies reign supreme.

[This message has been edited by Moff von Degurechaff (edited 01-02-2018 @ 08:56 AM).]

Draco_Wolfgand
Squire
posted 05-07-18 09:02 PM CT (US)     23 / 32       
To be honest, I dont pay enough attention to ship-design related details to be able to enter with any confidence a discussion about the ship designs

I liked the movie, and how it really fleshed out Kylo Ren, making him into more of his own character rather then just a Darth Vader wanna-be, but there were some things I recall disliking. Like: I am probably not alone on this opinion when I say, Luke just felt... Out of character, on it. Like, if it had been a brand new character, I may have not minded his behavior, but it just hit mas weird that the guy who refused to kill Darth Vader would seriously consider killing his own nephew because "Well, I-Think-He may fall to the Dark Side one day."
Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 05-16-18 06:40 AM CT (US)     24 / 32       
I might rewatch it soon, in the style of my acclaimed anime reviews. Who wants to get the popcorn?

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 05-16-18 07:52 AM CT (US)     25 / 32       
Just remember you have to pick a Best Girl, Best Porglette, and Best Shipfu. And you will be judged on all of them. <_<

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames