Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » Sipia visits an amusement park
Bottom
Topic Subject:Sipia visits an amusement park
Lord Sipia
Knight
posted 09-29-18 11:40 AM CT (US)         
Now I know what you're thinking. "Ohh, good for you! And how was it?!" Well, my family and I visit this park every year, we're definitely fans. It's called De Efteling. Extremely well-known among Dutch speakers, but I rarely hear it discussed internationally, even though it's quite popular. I thought It'd be fun to make an Imgur album and show you around, so here it is. Maybe some of you have visited this place as well. Either way, let me know what your opinions/impressions are. I think theme parks and people's opinions of them are an interesting way to study cultures and their differences.

I am not the type to faint
When things are odd or things are quaint
But seeing things you know that ain't
Can certainly give you an awful fright!

--Pink Elephants on Parade
AuthorReplies:
Sinochud
Squire
(id: Taichud)
posted 09-29-18 12:18 PM CT (US)     1 / 15       
Looks pretty much exactly how I imagined it would look like.

Major Helper
AoKH Survivor, Mr. White Teeth
posted 09-29-18 01:25 PM CT (US)     2 / 15       
"Ahem! Attention. Would the young man with the slightly receded hairline please clean the smudge off his right eyeglass? For in article 485, addendum 7b, it plainly states that all spectacles must be spotless when in audience with His Majesty."
[I grumble and clean my glasses]
Haha My glasses are only clean on Mondays, then they get progressively grimier until I clean them again on
Sunday evening.

Was it really foggy or is it just the camera?

Looks like a pretty nifty place, I don't think we really have theme parks like that here in Finland except maybe Muumimaailma (Moomin world). We just have a few amusement parks (Linnanmäki, Tykkimäki, Power Park etc.) and smaller establishments.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
Lord Sipia
Knight
posted 09-29-18 02:15 PM CT (US)     3 / 15       
Looks pretty much exactly how I imagined it would look like.
And what did you imagine it to look like?
Was it really foggy or is it just the camera?
The camera. It needs to stay still for a while to focus, and I tend to not account for that. And at times standing still was just not an option, so then you get this. A skilled photographer, I am not.

Major Helper
AoKH Survivor, Mr. White Teeth
posted 09-29-18 02:25 PM CT (US)     4 / 15       
Oh, so the haziness wasn't from all the weed everybody was smoking ?

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
Lord Sipia
Knight
posted 09-29-18 02:38 PM CT (US)     5 / 15       
Nah son, we invented weedhaze-adjusted camera lenses a long time ago

Devious Dev
Official Professional Qualified Noob
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
posted 09-29-18 05:02 PM CT (US)     6 / 15       
Never been there myself, but the name definitely rings a bell from back in my dutch days.
Sinochud
Squire
(id: Taichud)
posted 09-29-18 05:56 PM CT (US)     7 / 15       
And what did you imagine it to look like?
Ummm... Dutch?

Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 09-29-18 06:48 PM CT (US)     8 / 15       
Wow, fantastic effort post!

How many theme parks are there in the Netherlands?

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
Lord Sipia
Knight
posted 09-30-18 05:42 AM CT (US)     9 / 15       
Never been there myself, but the name definitely rings a bell from back in my dutch days.
Yeah, there's basically no way to live in this country and not know about the place.
How many theme parks are there in the Netherlands?
Wikipedia says over 40, but I haven't heard of most of the names listed. There's like, half a dozen well-known ones, and of those, Efteling is by far the biggest (and best, IMO ).

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 09-30-18 10:19 AM CT (US)     10 / 15       
Huh. "Okay, let's look at Sipikaze-chan's pictures." *clicks album*

First pic - ENTER THE REALM OF THE DARK WIZARD EFTELING

See that there, in the middle of the picture? That's a sheer, vertical drop into a dark hole. Definitely the highlight of the ride.
Sweeeeeeeeeet
Next up, de Vliegende Hollander, or the Flying Dutchman. (God dammit, the one time you *should've* used "Holland"...)
At first, I thought the shadow on the VOC building was his foot as he dangled from a lamppost.
I love the aesthetic design for this ride, though. Note how the facades are actually upturned ship prows.
E-ecchi!
And then there's the boarding platform. Lovely atmosphere in here, truly magical. The story as it's told here is that a greedy VOC captain by the name of Johan van der Dekken, having lost all sense of moral restraint, turns to raiding. Once he returns to Holland, however, he is never punished for his actions. When he intends to set sail again as soon as possible, hungry for more loot, he is warned that setting sail on Easter will be frowned upon, and that it's also unwise due to the brewing storm and the lack of moonlight. You know what happens next. "I shall sail! Easter or no Easter, storm or no storm, I shall sail, even if it will be till the end of time!"
Mate, that is so many flags. Wait till Monday for your loot.
Believe it or not, that cannon's a trash can
As in built from one or used as one?
It's a bit hard to see in this picture, but the ride consists of two racing wooden coasters. Whichever one makes it to the end first wins, and their return is heralded by cheers and the banners on the ceiling proudly rolling down. Of course, the thing's rigged; pretty sure the winner just alternates, so after a while you already know in advance who it's going to be. But a fun mechanic nonetheless.
Aww... I was hoping it had some kind of mechanism by which you could add speed. Everyone cranks on some level or something that adds a bit more... but then you'd just get a bunch of Dutch bros jumping on one and curbstomping the kids trying to have fun.
This is the Python. If you're looking for loop-dee-loop coasters, then you've come to the right place. Wonder what programming language they use here.
GW-Basic.

FOR... NEXT
Pretty self-explanatory what happens in this ride. Splash splash.
*noms sig post*
In case you forgot what country we're in; there's your scenic windmill
Yay! It's like when they say the title of the movie in the movie!
This is the Little Match Girl, AKA "Watch a poor girl cheer herself up with hallucinations as she dies of hypothermia". I forgot how much of a tearjerker this story is. So bittersweet.
Holy crap. O_O
The Little Mermaid... Yeah, I can see why Disney went with a redesign for this one.
Nine day ban.

And maybe Red was nibbling some of that Bach-shroom before going to Granny's house.
It's a bit blurry, but here's Snow White and the Seven Clever Boys
Genuine question: Is it the "clever boys" in Dutch, or is that your addition?
Also notable is that the curse is said to be lifted when "a person with a noble heart and clean conscience" sets foot in this house, which is the in-story reason why Hugo invites all these random park guests into his abode. He pointedly notes how, to date, the curse yet remains...
"YER ALL FILTHY SINNERS!"
Believe it or not, but that's a trash can... AND it's pretty famous. This fatass is so gluttonous that he asks passers-by to feed him paper. At least he's polite enough to thank you for doing so.
Creative and terrifying. You fellows like some horror in your whimsy, dontcha?
Saved the best for last: Carnaval Festival. This is the It's a Small World of this park. Kinda. It's a tour of various global cultures, but it presents them in the same style as Punch Out! on the NES. Which is to say, nothing but (borderline) offensive stereotypes. So brace yourself for that.
This is the waiting line. On the wall to the left is us, the Dutch. In the middle we have Italy (or more specifically, Venice), and of course there's Hawaii on the right.
Of course. Eh, it's muppet art... what could possibly go wrong?

No sin there.
Guess.
The most sterilized parody Germany ever.
Japan leads us into the Asian leg of the tour... Oh boy.
Sumo, because what else do we know the Japanese for?
Fair.
Welcome to China I guess. You know how much I hate the word "Cringy". But this? Yeah. This is a little hard to look at.
Took a minute... but yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
Hmm, "Giant Chicago burger"... Is Chicago known for its burgers?
No. It's known for making a tomato pie with cheese on it and calling it pizza.

Fascinating place. Definitely not the soft, glitzy, squishy amusement parks I'm used to. Some real nightmare fuel in there.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Lord Sipia
Knight
posted 09-30-18 11:03 AM CT (US)     11 / 15       
First pic - ENTER THE REALM OF THE DARK WIZARD EFTELING
Yeah, it definitely looks a bit weird.
Mate, that is so many flags. Wait till Monday for your loot.
Captain van der Dekken setting off all the death flags. Playing an RPG with him would suck.
As in built from one or used as one?
It's a trash can shaped like a cannon.
Aww... I was hoping it had some kind of mechanism by which you could add speed. Everyone cranks on some level or something that adds a bit more... but then you'd just get a bunch of Dutch bros jumping on one and curbstomping the kids trying to have fun.
Mate, the thing's already hellishly fast. Allowing random guests to determine the speed would go wrong before you can say "Look out, dragon!"
Yay! It's like when they say the title of the movie in the movie!
Title drop, roll credits!
Holy crap. O_O
Oh yeah. These are fairy tales before Disney monopolized public perception of them. Hans Christian Andersen doesn't f*ck around. >_>

(Nor do the Brothers Grimm, for that matter.)
Genuine question: Is it the "clever boys" in Dutch, or is that your addition?
No, they're dwergen (dwarfs) in Dutch too. I was making reference to a notoriously horrible bootleggy game by that name.
Creative and terrifying. You fellows like some horror in your whimsy, dontcha?
Hey, this is what fairy tales in their heyday were all about. You might get your "happily ever after" if you make it through all the macabre shit.
The most sterilized parody Germany ever.
It's certainly more tasteful than what they could've gone for.
Fascinating place. Definitely not the soft, glitzy, squishy amusement parks I'm used to. Some real nightmare fuel in there.
And I didn't even show you the one that's meant to be spooky. The first thing you see when the show starts is a body hanging from a church bell, going up and down the whole twelve times as midnight strikes. Yeah. My mom thinks that ride's boring.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 10-03-18 02:03 PM CT (US)     12 / 15       
So how is the Chicago burger?

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Lord Sipia
Knight
posted 10-03-18 02:26 PM CT (US)     13 / 15       
Don't know, didn't have it. Just saw the picture as I was eating and thought it was interesting.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 10-03-18 02:42 PM CT (US)     14 / 15       
So what did you have?

Lord Sipia
Knight
posted 10-03-18 02:48 PM CT (US)     15 / 15       
Two #9s, a #9 large, a #6 with extra dip...

I had two frikandellen and a large fries, as I usually do because I have such vanilla tastes. Good stuff.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames