You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18, Barbarossa89, John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Help with launching game
Bottom
Topic Subject:Help with launching game
MatthewW
Squire
posted 09-21-18 02:52 PM CT (US)         
So i have been attempting to use my original discs that I used to play on my Windows 98 to work on my Windows 10. I do not understand why I am having so many problems but I am. I enabled Direct Play through the control panel and painstakingly found a patch to get Age of Kings working. I have spent 6 months off and on working on getting the expansion pack running and I do not know what I am doing wrong. I have searched for every update and patch and none that I have found work. Does anyone know where to find help?

I downloaded the Expansion pack and when I try to launch it I accept the "Do you want to" prompt then nothing happens. If I try launching from the disc directly I can get it to the first menu that has "Play;" however, once I push "Play" nothing happens as well. I changed all of my compatibility to "Windows 98" and set "run as administer".

I have two copies of the disk and both downloads act the same.

I am using Windows 10 home 64 bit operating system, version 1803, OS build 17134.137
AuthorReplies:
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 09-21-18 03:59 PM CT (US)     1 / 2       
Try installing the userpatch its much more updated and better than what comes with the CD.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Zetnus
Squire
posted 09-24-18 06:43 PM CT (US)     2 / 2       
Windows 10 doesn't support the copy protection on the original discs. This might be the issue in your case, if you are able to install but not launch the game.

If so there are various solutions such as obtaining a no-cd patch, signing the necessary driver yourself, buying the collectors edition cd (which will run without cd checks), installing Voobly (which will patch your exe to work without a CD), etc.
The userpatch as such will NOT make your game no-cd, as far as I know.

........//\
......./ / / \ Check out my Blacksmith submissions as well as my stuff in the Steam Workshop.
....../ / /\\ \
...../ /_/_\\ \ Proud guardian of the Updated New RMS Guide <<<version 2.0 is out<<< and the Random Map Scripting Links and FAQ thread.
..../_____\\\ \
....\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ (unknowingly) the submitter of the 12000th item to the Blacksmith.

[This message has been edited by Zetnus (edited 09-24-2018 @ 06:50 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames