You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18, Barbarossa89, John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » How's this game called?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How's this game called?
Eurotool
Hero
posted 02-13-19 11:47 PM CT (US)         
Age of Kings, Age of Empires 2, or Age of Empires?

I sometimes run into people IRL who play this game. So far, each and everyone of them has called it "Age of Empires". Yes, they are not referencing the original 1997 game, but this one.

When I reply back "Oh, so you play Age of Kings?", they look at me, befuddled, and say, "Age of Empires".

I'm not talking about the technical way of calling this game, but the colloquial one. From my experience, the "2" is always dropped from the title--no distinction is made from the original game. I'm left wondering why this forum is called Age of Kings Heaven.

AuthorReplies:
MawBTS
I ONCE PUT AN ENTIRE ORANGE INTO MY MOUTH
(id: Bart Pimpson)
posted 02-18-19 00:25 AM CT (US)     1 / 3       
The game, as a whole, is called Age of Empires II.

The Age of Kings part is used to distinguish the base game from the expansions. It's Age of Empires II: Age of Kings vs Age of Empires II: The Conquerors (or whatever).

Your IRL friends are calling it by the wrong name, as often happens. So long as everyone knows what game you're referring to, it's not a big deal.
I'm left wondering why this forum is called Age of Kings Heaven.
The site launched in 1998-1999, when there were no expansions. "Age of Kings Heaven" made sense from a branding perspective.

"Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings Heaven" is too long, and "Age of Empires II Heaven" shares four out of five words with "Age of Empires Heaven", potentially causing self-competition on search engine rankings (for anyone wondering what this means, HG didn't want Google to send AoE2 fans to AoEH, or AoE fans to AoKH. This seems like a silly thing to worry about now, but search engines sucked in 1998.)

[This message has been edited by MawBTS (edited 02-18-2019 @ 00:26 AM).]

Saegan
Squire
posted 02-18-19 05:17 PM CT (US)     2 / 3       
Most of the people in my LAN party groups over the years (And a lot of people I have interacted with online) have always referred to the game as AoC [mainly because we all only ever play Age of Empires II: The Conquerors]. I don't know if I actually ever played Age of Kings after the Conquerors expansion came out - considering how drastically different the base game [AoK] is versus [AoC] and the subsequent Steam HD expansions.

Recently with the publishing of The Forgotten [AoF or AoFe], The African Kingdoms [AoAK?], and Rise of the Raja [AoRR??] expansions, the naming scheme has gotten a little confusing with which acronym to use. Accordingly, I have resorted to just referring to the Voobly [AoE2 Voobly] version of the game versus the Steam [AoE2 HD] version of the game in communication with my friends of which version we are going to use that evening.

In introducing the good news of this game to those who have not played or haven't played in a while , I just always refer to the game as Age Of Empires II. Most people will respond with, "Oh I used to play that game!" Followed by, "I used to be pretty good!" (I haven't met a person who didn't claim to "be pretty good" lol). This clears up a lot of confusion early on because some people who say "Age of Empires," legitimately mean the original 1997 game
On August 21, 2017, Microsoft announced Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
I am thinking at some point in the future it will all be simplified with the upcoming definitive edition where we can just refer to it as AoD

“Strategy requires thought, tactics require observation”

[This message has been edited by Saegan (edited 03-11-2019 @ 09:59 AM).]

Amin
Squire
posted 02-26-19 10:10 PM CT (US)     3 / 3       
Whenever someone asks you that question, you should take a breath and say in a deep voice: Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames