You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Help! Problem occurring when testing a secnario!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Help! Problem occurring when testing a secnario!
Jous
Squire
posted 10-09-02 05:59 PM CT (US)         
Ok, for the last part in my campaign, I made a trigger with 50 effects so I can get 50 units to go someplace at once. I hit test, the game crashed and I had to restart the game. Then I remembered that if you put too many effects, it'll do that. so I moved some effects onto a different trigger....still happened...reduced, reduced, and reduced. IT STILL CRASHES!!! I have it so each trigger of the tasking objects only has 11 effects at the most, and the game still crashes whenever I test, or play it as a campaign. There has to be some other reason...please help me.
AuthorReplies:
TormakSaber
Squire
posted 10-09-02 06:05 PM CT (US)     1 / 10       
Hmm... Do you have any triggers involving Gaia? Some Gaia objects don't work with Trigs. Maybe try spacing the Triggers out with a timer, so they don't all happen at once. Did you make a Forest and delete trees to make a path? That can do it too. Did you accidentally make an effect and not change it? Once, I accidentaly made a Freeze Object trig, and didn't change it. Because no target was selected, everytime I started it up, it crashed. Umm.. what else.... Too big of a view change? That's another prob.. just divide the move up. Maybe too many sounds played at once?? Too many ownership changes?
Many things can go wrong with the editor. I know this one is gonna sound wierd but.. try restarting your computer. It did the trick for me more than once. Try diffferent things until it works.

P.S. You can use "Set Area" In the task trigger to move 'em all at once. Just set the player, set to Units, and make the box around the units you want to move.

Scenario Designer

[This message has been edited by TormakSaber (edited 10-09-2002 @ 06:07 PM).]

AnastasiaKafka
Squire
posted 10-09-02 06:40 PM CT (US)     2 / 10       
Ouch Jous!

OK...adding to the very good advice below:

1 delete the trigger and save as new.

2 remove 1 or 2 of the fifty units (see notes).

3 create at least 2 (more recommended) new triggers to move units.

4 instead of making individual triggers for each unit; drag the white square around a fraction of the units and set trigger with all the information fields possible filled in.

5 create another or other triggers associated with the desired units movement (see notes).

Notes:
You are just trying to move too many units at the same time, and then it seems to have bugged even after you reduced the numbers.

A good rule is to keep effects around 12 in number, and only going higher if needed. However with the new triggers you will only need the one task effect of multiple units.

Create at least two triggers with some game time between them (timer) to move such a large amount of units. I would use 3 or 4 if possible.

Also make sure the AI is not attempting to move the units at the same time, a good idle AI will do wonders.

One must remove at least one unit of a 'saved' group and replace it from the editor list to be able to set group associated triggers with the drag white square option. (dragging white square around desired units until they highlight green).

If there were any other triggers associated with the 'removed units' they will highlight as red in the editor. Go back ad reset them to the newly placed units.

I hope this helps.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk

[This message has been edited by AnastasiaKafka (edited 10-09-2002 @ 06:43 PM).]

Jous
Squire
posted 10-09-02 07:08 PM CT (US)     3 / 10       
Thanks for your help, I'm going to test all this out right now. Though I must know...how do you create a custom AI? I'm gonna make one completely idle, as the default "none" ai still seems to do stuff.
Cobra the Mediocre
Squire
(id: The_Cobra_81)
posted 10-09-02 07:48 PM CT (US)     4 / 10       
I regret to inform you you can't have a completely still AI, the villagers and kings can still move no matter what. If you want the closest thing, check the AI section here for "Advanced Immobile Units AI."

Cobra the Mediocre
SteadilY working up to Average
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
(Age of Kings Heaven) (The Renegades)
Jous
Squire
posted 10-09-02 08:44 PM CT (US)     5 / 10       
Argh! I've been testing since I last replied, and no luck! I do all that, and it still crashes. Not long ago, I just got sick of it and decided to screw the tasking objects at the beginning of the scenario, and just stuck em' where they should have gone, and later planned to make a short prologue about what what should've happened. So I deleted the whole thing about moving units, and tested it and guess what??? IT STILL CRASHES!! >_< I even restarted my computer like a suggestion said above, but to no avail. There has to be something wrong...or is my game broken or something?
CrystalCrown
HG Alumnus
posted 10-09-02 09:17 PM CT (US)     6 / 10       
Worst case scenario, your file is corrupted. Test your scenario with everything deleted. If it still crashes, the only thng you can do is to file a previously saved version b4 the corruption.

CRYSTALCROWN

Play Online Because you really can't gloat about beating the computer.
Learn the Flush So you don't lose every game in under 20 minutes.

It's not a post count; it's making your posts count.
AnastasiaKafka
Squire
posted 10-10-02 04:51 AM CT (US)     7 / 10       
The_Cobra_81
With Advanced Immobile Units, one must place three or more Villager units to have the villagers stand still.

You are correct about the Kings though, and the other units that defy rules to make them idle are Trade Carts and Trade Cogs.

Jous:
Do you have any Gaia objects close to the edges or hanging off the map?

Especially mountains or flowers.

The last test before you scrap is to go through your triggers by turning them all to off (keep notes of how they were set), and turn them back on one by one in a process of elimination.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
Jous
Squire
posted 10-10-02 03:50 PM CT (US)     8 / 10       
Thanks.. I haven't tried the deleting trigger things yet, so to save some time in case this is the problem, I've got a question. I just realized it might be the sh*ttiness of my computer...... it's Windows 95, Pentium II processor, and has much of the hard drive filled up >_< Please don't say that's it...or else I'll have to start the whole thing over once I get my new computer
TormakSaber
Squire
posted 10-10-02 03:59 PM CT (US)     9 / 10       
Whoa....95? Seriously, you're gonna wanna upgrade to at least 98. Sorry, but you might have.. .OH wait! Save the scn. to a disk. Then you don't have to start over! That way, you can get a new comp, and still have your progress.

Scenario Designer
Josh Williams
Squire
posted 10-10-02 05:53 PM CT (US)     10 / 10       
Your processor speed is fine, pentium 2 is good for AOK. Your RAM could matter though, how much ram do you have, 64MB isn't so great 96MB would be fine, I run 128 and my scenarios normally work.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames