You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.25 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Help!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Help!
Mike the Great
Squire
posted 11-06-02 08:02 AM CT (US)         
I posted a message called HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on the general discussion forum, and they told me to come here. Please check out my message.
AuthorReplies:
Tanneur99
HG Alumnus
posted 11-06-02 09:27 AM CT (US)     1 / 25       
Could you repeat your message here?

Just copy from the other forum and edit this topic.

HG Luke
Squire
(id: Cherub Luke)
posted 11-06-02 10:55 AM CT (US)     2 / 25       
Yep - most of us are not interested to go look for a specific topic in another forum if we don't even know what it's about. You could at least provide a link, or do what Tanneur said.
Dark_Aro
Squire
posted 11-06-02 12:20 PM CT (US)     3 / 25       
I went into the GDS forum and got his message.

Quote:

posted 10-27-02 10:26 AM EST (US)
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
whenever i play the third genghis khan campaign scenario, i get to killing the engineers, then the game goes VERY slow. Every 1/2 second it pauses for a really short period of time, then goes again. I am playing with TC.

It sounds like your game might be scratched, other programs are open while TC is, or you could have waaay to much used space on your computer. I got a 40 GB hardrive, so I do not have to worry about that problem . Anyone else have a solution?

DARK_ARO ¤¤¤¤¤ Dragon Gaming Design Network | Age of Kings Heaven Forums ¤¤¤¤¤
Dragon Gaming Design Network Administrator | Multiplayer Custom Scenario Night Member
dark_aro@dgdn.net | "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."
My Projects: AoK-- When Darkness Stands Still ~40% Robin Hood Legends ~17%
My Recommendations
Achaean Lionness
Squire
posted 11-06-02 12:34 PM CT (US)     4 / 25       

That was sweet of you to go find his message Dark Aro

Good thinking on possible causes too.
I have to agree – it sure sounds like a memory problem.
Could be low amount of RAM, too… 32MB, etc?

I’ve seen the same thing here on this PC – an AMD 1600+ clocked at 1.5Ghz – with 512MB DDRAM, dual 100GB 7200rpm HD’s in a RAID II config., when I’ve just had too much stuff in one location on an MP Map (I mean, units engaging, with total number exceeding 600 combat units in dense terrain).

That ‘stuttering’, is, I believe, simply more than the RAM can accommodate.

Not sure, but a scratched CD might not work at all – or would probably induce a crash, wouldn’t it?
If it’s low Disk Space – could always check the size of your Swap file.

If it is an “insufficient RAM” (amount) problem – he could edit that campaign to lower the number of active units, couldn’t he?
Might be interesting to see if hat would ‘cure’ the stuttering, as it has with a few of my MP maps . . .

Best wishes there, Mike -

- Lioness

Proud Julianite * Last pagan of the Empire...

Roi ne suis,
Ne prince ne duc ne compte aussi;
Je suis la belle de Coucy...

HG Luke
Squire
(id: Cherub Luke)
posted 11-06-02 01:11 PM CT (US)     5 / 25       
I second Lionness. I had the same problem - too much action, which caused the game to lag, eventually beyond repair.
Mike the Great
Squire
posted 11-06-02 01:50 PM CT (US)     6 / 25       
I have a 4GB hard drive(I know it's pretty old), a 188MB ram and 620 mb free on my disk. All the other campaigns work, and there isn't that much battling. Plus, you can't edit the ES campaigns.

PS. I don't know how to include links.

[This message has been edited by Mike the Great (edited 11-06-2002 @ 01:51 PM).]

Tom Edwards
Squire
posted 11-06-02 03:45 PM CT (US)     7 / 25       
Processor speed and RAM can all have a massive effect on framerate, RAM slightly less than the processor.

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."
- Tom Clancy
Staff Member, Dragon Gaming Design Network
Ingo van Thiel
Squire
posted 11-06-02 03:49 PM CT (US)     8 / 25       
Many people had problems with that scenario. I remember it was blamed on the many pieces of the Great Wall.
Jawn Henry
Squire
posted 11-06-02 03:56 PM CT (US)     9 / 25       

Quote:

I had the same problem - too much action, which caused the game to lag, eventually beyond repair.

Too much action, or not enough computer?

JH

CV12 Hornet's plan-of-the-day for 26 October 1944:

"Today will be a field day! Air department dust off all overheads, removing any snoopers which may be adrift and sweep out all corners of the Philippines, sending to incinerator or throwing over the side (first punching hole in bottom) any Nip cans, APs or AKs still on topside. Gunnery department assist as necessary. Engineering, continue to pour on the coal. Medicos, stand by with heat-rash lotion. Damage Control, observe holiday routine.
Deathmatch
Squire
(id: Darkmaster)
posted 11-06-02 03:56 PM CT (US)     10 / 25       
The CD doesn't affect the game at all (unless you have the music turned on). The CD is only required to start the game and, if you do listen to its music, the music.
Deathmatch
Squire
posted 11-06-02 03:59 PM CT (US)     11 / 25       
Mike the Great:

You CAN edit the ES campaigns by extracting the scenarios using the Campaign to Scenario utility found in the market.

[This message has been edited by Darkmaster (edited 11-06-2002 @ 03:59 PM).]

Tanneur99
HG Alumnus
posted 11-06-02 05:02 PM CT (US)     12 / 25       
@ Dark_Aro

Thank you for posting the question.

@ Mike the Great

There two strange things in your demand. First you play the Genghis Khan campaign with TC instead of original AoK and second you kill the engineers, they are supposed to join you.

There are two places with engineers as I recall. The first is in the beginning where you kill some guys and you get villagers and siege weapons, the second is after you get around the Great Wall by transport ships, there you get canons. But you do not kill engineers only some units which guard them right after the start.

@ Ingo

I never touched a piece of the Great Wall to win.

Josh Williams
Squire
posted 11-06-02 11:29 PM CT (US)     13 / 25       
Ummm....188MB ram, whaaat, you must have some wierd configs going on if you cant run lil' ol' AOK with 188MB ram.

The hard drive doesn't matter to much in direct run ops, because quite frankly, it only saves stuff (though it does have an effect on game load time, (so nobody jumps all over me))

It could also be a graphics card problem, if your graphics card cannot draw the pixels fast enough, then you could experience lag (though once again, AOK doesn't require to much from a system).

- Josh

INDEPENDENT DESIGNER2 ------------>
VISIONS OF THE PAST : CHAPTER 1 l __________________________
Visions of the Past is the story of a land in turmoil. Its gameplay focuses around many different characters
who all play parts in a larger tale. It took me about ten months to complete, with a 1 month break in which I
was rather burnt out, and I think it will fit almost anyone's style of play. Download it now!
ShadowDragon
Squire
posted 11-07-02 02:51 AM CT (US)     14 / 25       
Darkmaster:

How do you get the Campaign to Scenario utility found in what market?

~ShadowDragon~

Scenario and Campaign Creator

Dark_Aro
Squire
posted 11-07-02 11:29 AM CT (US)     15 / 25       
@ ShadowDragon

Click here to download it . It is called the Age of Empires & Age of Kings Campaign Manager by Lloyd Kinsella.

Just open the campaign you want with the campaign manager and click on a scenario inside of the campaign. Save it into your scenario folder and you can edit it. But just to warn you: DO NOT try to submit a already-made campaign as your own... that would be bad, bad, and bad. But of course, nobody will and has (at least I do not think). Tell me if this is not the one you are looking for-- I will search again and find the right one if this is not it. Test it out first though... you can open campaigns and edit their scenarios with the editor.

@ Josh Williams

I am almost done testing your scenario. I will send you an e-mail sometime around tomorrow .

DARK_ARO ¤¤¤¤¤ Dragon Gaming Design Network | Age of Kings Heaven Forums ¤¤¤¤¤
Dragon Gaming Design Network Administrator | Multiplayer Custom Scenario Night Member
dark_aro@dgdn.net | "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."
My Projects: AoK-- When Darkness Stands Still ~40% Robin Hood Legends ~17%
My Recommendations
Mickey Sommers
Banned
posted 11-07-02 08:11 PM CT (US)     16 / 25       
DarkAro you are a great server to the community. You have a link for everything and it helps out alot. Therfore you get the:

Helpful to the Community Award

Achaean Lionness
Squire
posted 11-07-02 09:56 PM CT (US)     17 / 25       

Hear-hear, Mickey…

I second that…
Dark Aro has proven (to my view) a most admirable contributor to the betterment of designers with questions wishing to learn more and advance further.

Just goes to show, I suppose – the wings of every cherub may not be visible…

Kudos to you, Dark Aro!
Most commendable in Spirit…

- Best

- Lioness

Roi ne suis,

Josh Williams
Squire
posted 11-07-02 11:12 PM CT (US)     18 / 25       
I third that, Cherubize Dark Aro!

Visions of the Past is the story of a land in turmoil. Its gameplay focuses around many different characters
who all play parts in a larger tale. It took me about ten months to complete, with a 1 month break in which I
was rather burnt out, and I think it will fit almost anyone's style of play. Download it now!
Deathmatch
Squire
posted 11-07-02 11:29 PM CT (US)     19 / 25       
Yes, finally a good-hearted Cherub! No offence to the other HG Cherubs out there.
Achaean Lionness
Squire
posted 11-08-02 00:03 AM CT (US)     20 / 25       

I’ll second that, too, Dark

And just so there be no confusion, if you’ll allow me to add to your statement there…

I don’t know (of) any other ‘Cherub’s’ than Luke, since this is the only AOK/TC Forum I ever visit – and Luke has shown he has plenty of good heart.
I’ve been around Forums a Long, long time – have run Forums myself as Admin, as Moderator, as owner – on our own servers and others – and have dealt with a Lot of ‘Mods’ in my time. Luke strikes me as exemplary of just what a truly great Mod. Should be and why he has “Cherub” by his name is anything but a mystery.

And neither to detract from all you others who have and do give so much and many helps to others… Darkmaster, CC, TormakSaber, Josh and the ever-insightful AnastasiaKafka, ShadowDragon, Renegade Warrior, Jawn Henry, and others I can’t think of off the top of my head just now …
In my eyes, you’re all ‘little cherubs’ and a gift to the community.

I know you all have my gratitude, anyway… I've learned a lot from all of you - and know there's a Lot more yet to learn. Your help is invaluable. And not-least appreciable - you all make the community Fun!

- Lioness

Roi ne suis,

ShadowDragon
Squire
posted 11-08-02 02:46 AM CT (US)     21 / 25       
Thanks for the link Dark Aro. Yes it is the one I was looking for.

~ShadowDragon~

Scenario and Campaign Creator

Renegade Warrior
Squire
posted 11-08-02 08:32 AM CT (US)     22 / 25       
A vote to have Dark_Aro made a cherub! I thought they are only selected by the Angels.

@ Lionness:

Thanks for the compliment.....I guess there are plenty of them out there.

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis sed domini tuo da gloriam!
"Not to us, Lord, not to us but to Thy name give the glory!"

Motto and battle cry of the Knights Templar

Garuda
Squire
posted 11-08-02 08:45 AM CT (US)     23 / 25       
I'm sure Dark_Aro would be a good cherub, if only he'll get selected as one. A good-hearted cherub that likes to help people who're in trouble is what the community needs!

Eh.... by the way Mike, sorry for posting an off-topic reply.

-Andan

ANDANU "GARUDA" TRISATYA
S I N C E T H E 8 T H D A Y O F T H E 8 T H M O N T H , T H E 1 9 8 8 T H Y E A R
Josh Williams
Squire
posted 11-08-02 05:08 PM CT (US)     24 / 25       
Im gonna start a new post all about cherubizing Dark, hope thats not against the rules

@ Archean Lioness

Thanx, youre quiet the great forumer yourself.

PS: I only been a heavy poster on these forums for about 1 1/2 weeks now.

Mike the Great
Squire
posted 12-09-02 07:46 AM CT (US)     25 / 25       
I tried it on my old 95 (now a 98)and it is still SLOW!
I tried the Camp. Manager, doesn't work as a scn. either.

I think signatures are a waste of bandwith, space, time. They are useless, unimportant, stupid, created for no purpose, and anyone who has one is stupid.

You have wasted approximately 7.2343 seconds of your life by reading this.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames