You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Has anyone downloaded my scenarios?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Has anyone downloaded my scenarios?
KingCobra1064
Squire
posted 04-04-03 04:48 PM CT (US)         
I am simply wondering what people thought of my campaigns/scenarios that I recently uploaded. I believe it is the one on top of the downloads page. Anyway, Should I make it easier or harder? Just right? I am wondering because I just got the game and am not very good yet at making triggers. I have also uploaded another campaign, and I think it is even harder because of my inability to increase the population limit.
I am simply asking for thought/comments on my work. Positive or negative, it is still a learning experiance.
Thank you.
AuthorReplies:
Clayperboy
Squire
posted 04-04-03 06:02 PM CT (US)     1 / 6       
I will download it and post a comment at the blacksmith

[This message has been edited by clayperboy (edited 04-04-2003 @ 06:09 PM).]

AnastasiaKafka
Squire
posted 04-04-03 06:28 PM CT (US)     2 / 6       
Hi KingCobra1064!

I have played your Great Wall of China scenario, and found it to be extremely underdeveloped design. Take courage though, you can begin to learn some basics of scenario design here in AOKH SD forum. I also suggest that you visit the Best of AoK section of the Blacksmith, and play some of those scenarios/campaigns to gain some inspiration for what your designs could be.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
KingCobra1064
Squire
posted 04-04-03 08:12 PM CT (US)     3 / 6       
I have realized that the village and the Chinese army attack eacth other...that's no good. I also found that it is too tedious to destroy all of the castles...I will change this and re-submit it. Thank you. You have my permission to change the triggers if you would like to, and I would appreciate it if you gave me a sample of what it could be, if you are interessted. Thank you
KingCobra
Clayperboy
Squire
posted 04-04-03 09:02 PM CT (US)     4 / 6       
Well maybe i won't comment at the blacksmith. The game was not that difficult. I used the trebuchets to take out the towers ,then the bombard cannons to take out the castles behind the wall. Then when the enemy trebs showed up i picked them off with ease ,along with anything else that got close to the wall.
When there was nobody left at the wall , i took down a section and went in and finished up. I still had most of my army where you positioned them.
This is a case where it looked hard , but was easy. Had there been a gate in the wall ,the fighting would have been ferocious, but still would have lacked a story line ,map design ,and instruction.
Hope this helps king cobra, looking forward to the revisal.
KingCobra1064
Squire
posted 04-04-03 09:08 PM CT (US)     5 / 6       
Ok. But you played the version 1.1 probably. The old one had you destroy all of the castles to win. I am currently making it much harder, trust me. :P
Thank you again.
KingCobra
AnastasiaKafka
Squire
posted 04-05-03 09:55 AM CT (US)     6 / 6       
KingCobra1064:

Instead of thinking in terms of 'Harder,' perhaps to think in terms of more interesting.

You have struck something valuable with your comment; "I also found that it is too tedious to destroy all of the castles."

By just making large fixed forces and positions is not making the game harder, it is making it more tedious.

Yes, there is a lot of fun to be had with a large fixed force battle, but I suggest you start to think up of interesting and balanced play on a smaller scale (much less units and buildings).

Use the units of your choice and create a microcosm of the larger battle in your prototype. In other words to find out the nature of the units, and buildings (their strengths and weaknesses).

Set the enemy position as the strongest (research, age, etc.), and find some creative ways to win against the stronger force if possible, or add creatively some strength to the Player One position until you can 'just' defeat the enemy position. Take note of how you achieve victory to instruct and hint at in your game. Once you have a challenging battle on a small scale, you can then create your large battle from it (by multiplying the aspects for each position).

There is much to know, and I am concerned that what I just outlined above will be useless to your level of orientation with the AoK editor. Therefore my best advice would be to play more custom scenarios/campaigns, and to find articles and utilities that teach general aspects of scenario design.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames