You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.28 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Farm-Mod...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Farm-Mod...
Agamemmnon
Squire
posted 04-15-00 02:54 PM CT (US)         
Yet here's a change that I made to another feature of AoK that looks pretty dull. Farms. Frame by frame, I repainted each of the terrain tiles of the farm terrain SLP using Painter 5.0. When I installed the finished SLP into the game, voila! Now the farms look more realistic than before; soil looks more like rich, fertile soil rather than worthless sand and farm plants look more like full-grown productive plants rather than seedlings or bamboo shoots.

The farm-mod looks good on any terrain, except desert. Here's a pic of my mod in effect:

BTW, I do have a problem with my mod here. Notice that you see a whitish border around the farms. Who knows how to eliminate this problem? Same thing with elevations. When you place a modified farm onto an elevation, all you will see is a whitish color on the slope! Please can someone help me?

------------------

I misspelled my username. It is supposed to be Agamemnon not Agamemmnon

My ICQ is 59573911

[This message has been edited by Agamemmnon (edited 04-15-2000).]

AuthorReplies:
HannibalVIII
Squire
posted 04-15-00 03:05 PM CT (US)     1 / 28       
Fine piece of work! Although you could improve it by trying to make a more definite shape for the plants (my opinion, others may disagree). And a bit less muddy. Nonetheless, it is very good.
Im_an_AoK_fanatic
Squire
posted 04-15-00 03:07 PM CT (US)     2 / 28       
The graphic looks great Agamemmnon, but am I to assume that it is unfinished, by the white around the edges? Anyways it looks awesome.
Im_an_AoK_fanatic
Squire
posted 04-15-00 03:28 PM CT (US)     3 / 28       
Sorry, I only looked at the picture, I didn't read the rest of your post which explained the white before I posted a reply. Again, good job.
Darklighter54
Squire
posted 04-15-00 04:24 PM CT (US)     4 / 28       
Looks pretty good and like said before, they look a bit muddy

other than that, pretty good

------------------
-Stone Please

Commander
Squire
posted 04-15-00 04:36 PM CT (US)     5 / 28       
I don't know how to fix that whitish border. I had the same problem with my first failed lava mod.

P.S.(Besides the whitish border, then new farms look great but there is a slight blending problem with the plants. They don't quite fit togeter)

Celtic Salamander
Squire
posted 04-15-00 04:39 PM CT (US)     6 / 28       
If any of you havent checked out the snow mod at the site i gave it also comes with a modified farm and the road two is changed to black cobble stones you should check it out i really like the new road two!!
ond i'm not really shure but i think the white fuzz is where the blending graphic would go, so it would be kind of rounded not a square, just an educated guess!! Good luck (though that has nothing to do with it) on the rest of your mods.

------------------
All newts are salamanders, but not all salamanders are newts.

[This message has been edited by Celtic Salamander (edited 04-15-2000).]

GenghisKhan
Squire
posted 04-15-00 04:57 PM CT (US)     7 / 28       
Where do you get this mod?
king of persia
Squire
posted 04-15-00 06:56 PM CT (US)     8 / 28       
looks great. but there is a distink line that is visible around the farm squares, know what i mean? anyway it looks good.
Celtic Salamander
Squire
posted 04-15-00 07:22 PM CT (US)     9 / 28       
The snow mod is available at: http://members.spree.com/SIP/truamico/aoe.htm

------------------
All newts are salamanders, but not all salamanders are newts.

Waterstone
Squire
posted 04-15-00 09:36 PM CT (US)     10 / 28       
Great job on the farm-mod.

But lousy job on the file size - a whopping 1MB.
I've mentioned this before in regards to Ronin's posts where his average are 400 KBs. Yours are in that range as well. Please keep your file size small. Play with it before you post to get the optimal size/quality ratio.

I have cable and it still take a while. I can just imagine those with slower modem.

I've taken the liberty of adjusting the above picture by reducing it to a tenth the original size (from 1000KB to 99KB)and IMHO, the quality is not unduly diminished.
What do you think, people?

I apologize for the complain but I just hate waiting for the downloading process to finish to admire your great handiwork.

P.S. I know by posting this, it will just add to the file size to download but it is just to make a point. And also to voice a minor annoyance.

[This message has been edited by Waterstone (edited 04-15-2000).]

Park305
Squire
posted 04-15-00 10:40 PM CT (US)     11 / 28       
I have to say its different but i the truth is it looks lots like grass even though i cannot even do that
Arizona
Squire
posted 04-15-00 10:47 PM CT (US)     12 / 28       
I would have to agree the crops could look better

------------------
"I am the King!" -Adam: Second King of Hammerfall.
qinshui@hotmail.com
knightsofhammerfall.homstead.com/index.html

Agamemmnon
Squire
posted 04-15-00 11:55 PM CT (US)     13 / 28       
King of Persia, I may not care mush about what you said, but I may change that.

Now Waterstone, thanks for reducing the size of my pic. I didn't know but I thought resizing pics of a cool mod that I made may make the mod pic look inexact to how the mod looks in the game.

Park305 and Arizona, thanks for the comments, but I think that having each plant look different adds more variety to my farm terrain.

Anyway, I'd pretty much appreciate it if someone comes by and posts here about how to remove that white border around the farms.

Waterstone
Squire
posted 04-16-00 00:39 AM CT (US)     14 / 28       
Agamemmnon,
If you are afraid of the pics not doing justice to what it will look like, just put a reduced picture here and have a link to the regular size pic like this...http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/Agamemnon84/farmmod.jpg

(Of course, you'd need to upload 2 different pics to your website)

I'm sure lots of people will appreciate the reduced d/l time. Also, you'd get more exposure. If it takes too long to get to view the pictures, lots of people will just skip it and move to the next topic.

[This message has been edited by Waterstone (edited 04-16-2000).]

Jeru
Squire
(id: Jerusalem)
posted 04-16-00 06:41 AM CT (US)     15 / 28       
As a matter of fact, I thought at first that the white stuff was a fence!

I know that doesn't help you much, Ag, but at least to comfort you that every cloud has a silver lining...

------------------
Formerly known as: bananaman
A Quote: "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana
My Site: when.you.are.bored.org
A Proud Member of: Lighthouse Design Team

BINGFA
Squire
posted 04-16-00 06:53 AM CT (US)     16 / 28       
Waterstone: Yes I have tried to educate those in the forums who post mamoth and sized files. Some persist or don't understand how to make a image web ready. A thumbnail and then a link is much better than having a dead slow thread.

Come on you guys lift your game and make your pics and links Web friendly. I hardly think that Heaven sites really like having all this unneccessary bandwidth wasted.

Aga... you are one of the worst and you do it over and over again.

Agamemmnon
Squire
posted 04-16-00 08:35 AM CT (US)     17 / 28       
BINGFA, the reason I posted this graphic-heavy pic here is that I thought if I did any sort optimization to it, it won't do total justice to what my mod exactly looks like in the game.

Jerusalem, what I believe that white stuff around the farms is that it is a sign that replacing the current frames in the terrain .SLP does not give you the exact results in elevation and border. In other words, your results when doing this won't be exact like ES' results.

If that one snow mod that also gives you a modified farm terrain and road, than that was really ES' handiwork! Some guy actually warez'd terrain SLPs from an AoK Alpha version and put them on the Net for download! That AoK snow mod on Bill O' Mara's site is really part warez!

Park305
Squire
posted 04-16-00 09:51 AM CT (US)     18 / 28       
I believe it may be the shadow bitmap that is making those white lines and many people cannot read this because of the pic
Agamemmnon
Squire
posted 04-16-00 10:28 AM CT (US)     19 / 28       
Good point, Park.

I may try looking into that.

MeatGhost
Squire
posted 04-16-00 11:10 AM CT (US)     20 / 28       

Awesome,Agamemnon! And just like Jerusalem, I thought the white lines were fences...

P.S. Waterstone, how did you do that turning smiley? It kicks ass!

------------------
It's better to burn out than to fade away... - Kurt D. Cobain

GenghisKhan
Squire
posted 04-16-00 05:10 PM CT (US)     21 / 28       
Where do you get this farm?

Oh yeah, those boarders, don't worry, they look like chicken wire! Leave them there!

------------------

HannibalVIII
Squire
posted 04-16-00 05:24 PM CT (US)     22 / 28       
Or, you could add more white and make them look like a convincing fence!!!

------------------
"A mind is a terrible thing to waste.............which is why I sold mine.

Waterstone
Squire
posted 04-16-00 09:01 PM CT (US)     23 / 28       
MeatGhost,
The smiley is just from a collections that I have. You are more than welcome to copy and use it.

[This message has been edited by Waterstone (edited 04-16-2000).]

BINGFA
Squire
posted 04-17-00 05:25 AM CT (US)     24 / 28       
Aga.. 40 percent of your graphic is not farm it is grass and flowers forest and building. You can post a thumbnail or a reduced pic that has a link to the full pic... You can crop you can optimise you can thumbnail you can hyper link.

Why is it always your pics need to be bloated because you are worried about not doing full credit to them? I know I can reduce the file size of your pics and others have done it without impacting on the effect.

When I post any of my graphics do they ever hit such huge sizes no . Because I make mine Web ready. I also don't post every single thing I make in AOK. Why don't you get a website and put all these bloated images on there. It may make things a lot faster around here.

[This message has been edited by BINGFA (edited 04-17-2000).]

Comay
Squire
posted 04-17-00 06:00 AM CT (US)     25 / 28       
Acttully I first thought it's a fence too... Leave it, they do'nt look bad at all.
17/4/2000

------------------

quote:
You now, sometime one of you will REALLY get mad on me for posting the date although it's allready in
Ronin
Squire
posted 04-17-00 06:51 AM CT (US)     26 / 28       
The white line is in fact the result of the alpha blending feature of AoK. This affects all terrain tiles, making them merge into each other smoothly, while at the same time rendering all tamperings meaningless. This feature of AoK is simply sensational.

There are not much things which need modification in this game and the terrain is definitely not one of them. Even if it were, the blending feature must be mastered first. Until then, it will only screw up all attempts.

Two things looked simply ugly and both of them belong among map objects (in other words, the graphics.drs): the cliffs and the bridge. All artwork is welcome on them, I think, but I would not touch anything else in this game - and I also will not do so. Save for these two items, everything else is a great job done by ES. These two items just cried for a change. In addition, there is a third one which was included originally in the game but ES later decided to deprive us its use: the ice/snow terrain. I also do not quite understand why there should be four "Flowers" of the same pattern, when it is obvious that they should either represent a different pattern for each of the four seasons, or a different pattern for different geographical regions. I hope ES will fix these issues in the X-pack.

If anything else needs to be changed, there should be at least a playable scenario which provides a sound reason for it. For example, if someone wants to use goats from AoE in his scenario and replaces the sheep with them, then it is OK I think. I do not subscribe to l'art pour l'art tamperings however.

If anything needs to be changed about the farms, let it be done by ES. My suggestions are: 1) more blending, turning the sharp corners into smooth curves where the farms join the surrounding area. 2) Civ-specific farm patterns, giving the Asian set the rice paddy. The poblem here would be fitting horizontal water surfaces with the elevation shifts. This could be done by overlaying the farm pattern with the ground pattern in a feathered way where the elevation changes, which would instantly give a terraced impression.

[This message has been edited by Ronin (edited 04-17-2000).]

Agamemmnon
Squire
posted 04-17-00 04:48 PM CT (US)     27 / 28       
Thanks Ronin, for your hints. Well it looks like terrains can't be mod'ed in AoK.

Unlike you, I believe that there are 3 things that cried out for a change in the game.

Besides the cliffs and bridges, I also believed that the mountains looked pretty unrealistic; kind of like anthills or termite mounds. And so that's why I made a Mountain mod.

Pax_Catorsa
Squire
posted 05-29-00 02:05 PM CT (US)     28 / 28       
Where is the file

------------------
PAX Vobiscum
Ivanhoe comeing soon.....
MEMBER OF THE PAX TEAM!

Mail the team at pax_team@hotmail.com

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to: