You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.69 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project: The Saga of a Viking Warrior
Bottom
Topic Subject:Project: The Saga of a Viking Warrior
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Cesar Bernardi
Squire
posted 03-07-06 05:01 PM CT (US)         
This is a fictional Campaign. No historical events were included, only mentioned. Any similarity to real people or facts is merely concidental.

Having said that, here's the story.

THE STORY:

(Norway, in the late 11th century...)

Verl Hagarthson, an old viking warrior, was extremely disappointed. He had lived his entire live ashamed... when he was young, he had seen the downfall of Viking civilization. He was in the battle of Stamford, when Harald Hardraade lost his life, and Baduwulf Haraldson (this name will change... I "borrowed" it from Byzan's campaign until I get more info on that) was forced to become a Christian in order to ally to William (also known as Wilhelm), Duke of Normandy.
He was ashamed for being a Viking, for his people had done much in the past (such as the discoveries of Greenland and Vinland, or the Danelaw, a great Danish kingdom stablished in the Isle of Britain), and there was nothing left. Viking culture had mixed with the culture of others... The Danes were christianized, and so were the Normans.
And Norwegians too.

There was not much Verl could do to restore old Viking power, to restore the fear that others had when they saw Drakkars and longships coming from the northern seas...
Because he was old.
And because he had a new life. He was no longer a warrior. He was father of two young men, Jarl and Wulfgar, and protector of a small farming village.

One day, this village was invaded by a large group of tax collectors. They wanted the locals to pay tributes for using King Edmund's (a local feudal lord) lands. When Verl tried to stop them, he was killed and his house burned down while his sons were sleeping...
But Jarl Verlson got out.

After killing the assassins, Jarl heard his father's last wishes... Verl wanted his son to do what he could not, and make the Vikings powerful once again.

But he could not do this all by himself...

And here is where your adventure begins.

Together with his childhood friends Skallagrim and Yatlan, Jarl decided to offer his sword and services to a small militia to the south... to take over it later.

Yes, I am restarting an old project. I have started the original "Saga of a Viking Warrior" somewhere around 2003, and recently (after a looong designing break), I've decided to start it over.

• Features for the Full Version:
    - Sea monster, capable of destroying ships (working on it...). Yes, just like in Vinland Saga, only this time it'll be an Octopus;
    - Volatile gameplay: different events lead into different results (i.e.: the death of an important character will not end the map, but change it considerably);
    - An Interactive Readme file, in Flash. Walkthroughs and hints can only be opened by passwords (prevents the player from reading spoilers);

• Features regarding Data Editing:
    - Ally players will be able to create Mangonels using villagers (you don't train a single siege unit in the game...);
    - A new healing system for the main character. After fighting, the character will regain his health if he rests for a while. But if the player does not rest, the healing does not happen (I got inspired by Battlefield 2, in which you don't have hitpoints, and when you get hit you must rest);

• Progress:

CAMPAIGN PROGRESS:
    0%|IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII|100%
    About 20%.

Cutscene: "Prologue: A Dying Old Man"
    0%|IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII|100%
    Almost completed. Although I'd rather finish Map 1 before finishing this one.

Map 1: "Part I - The Militia"
    - Map design and landscaping:
    Completed. Might change a bit if requested by playtesters.
    - AI programming:
    Finished.
    - Trigger work:
    Working... new version will include extra dialogues and a better gameplay.
    - Overall progress:
    New version will be released soon!
    - Data and Hex-Editing:
    0%|IIIIIIIIIIII|100%
    Eternally changing.
    - Screenshots:
    |Mountain Trail|Enemy Base|Militia Fortress|Fishing Village|Feud|Keep out!|

• Playtesting schedule:
    - BrandNewCar - Version 1.1 sent 04/06/2006. Deadline: 04/13/2006.
    - Byzan - Version 1.1 sent 04/06/2006. Deadline: 04/13/2006.
    - cat - Version 1.1 sent 04/10/2006. Deadline: 04/17/2006.
    - D421K_S4U120N - Version 1.1 sent 04/10/2006. Deadline: 04/17/2006
    - i like cheese - Review received.
    - Map_maker_tester Removed due to request
    - Mashek331 - Review received.
    - MeGaIdIoT - Removed due to request
    - PaulC2001 - Version 1.1 sent 04/06/2006. Deadline: 04/13/2006.
    - Snaily - Version 1.1 sent 04/06/2006. Deadline: 04/18/2006. (changed due to request)
    - You! Sign up now!

• Playtesting Rules and Notes:
    - Reviews must be sent to the email adress caesarsalad@uol.com.br within 1 week after the map is sent, unless provided with a good reason. The deadlines will be listed here.
    DO NOT post your reviews. I shall disregard any reviews posted here;
    - Reviews must be as detailed as possible, regarding playability, difficulty and terrain design. Play in all difficulty levels;
    - If you get stuck at some point, there's a walkthrough file included, therefore do not stop playtesting. The game ends when you get a message saying "Well, the game is over". If you do not get that message, e-mail me and I shall help you;
    - Take notes of whatever bugs you may find, any bugs (i.e.: a unit that gets stuck and prevents the game from moving on). This way I can improve the game;
    - Every map will have at least 3 playtestable versions;

• NEWS:
    - 03/22/2006: Healing system fixed, working and 100% effective;
    - 03/24/2006: Main post updated. New versions yet to be sent;
    - 03/27/2006: Main post updated. New section: Playtesting Rules and Notes;
    - 05/04/2006: Version 1.1 sent to all playtesters;
    - 06/04/2006: CPX file sent once again. Added 1 extra day to the deadline;

• Estimated release date:
    - Unknown. I had 2 maps almost completed, and all of a sudden I decided to restart the campaign from scratch.

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 04-10-2006 @ 03:27 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    newIdea
    Illuminator
    posted 03-21-06 12:09 PM CT (US)     36 / 69       
    Arf, those status bars are hard to read when you fade them. Nice job with the TP though.

dannyking.me

PaulC2001
    Squire
    posted 03-21-06 12:23 PM CT (US)     37 / 69       
    Cat didn't feedback on my scenario eaither, Cesar, I think she (I think) got a bit overwhelmed.
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 03-21-06 01:09 PM CT (US)     38 / 69       
    Yes, I thought about that.

I have stablished a deadline for new playtesters. As soon as I have the updated version ready, everyone'll have 1 week to review it.

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 03-21-2006 @ 01:23 PM).]

Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 03-21-06 02:38 PM CT (US)     39 / 69       
    Topic post edited (again).

Sorry for the double post.

Impeached
    VIP (Reverie World Studios)
    (id: MeGaIdIoT)
    posted 03-24-06 01:36 PM CT (US)     40 / 69       
    I'll playtest...E-mail in profile.

me
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 03-24-06 01:46 PM CT (US)     41 / 69       
    Alright! Just give me a few days and I'll be sending the updated versions to everyone.
    D412k_S4U120N
    Banned
    posted 03-24-06 02:11 PM CT (US)     42 / 69       
    Cesar i recently reinstalled aoktc so can you send it again?
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 03-24-06 03:54 PM CT (US)     43 / 69       
    In aproximately (sp?) a week I'll be sending an updated version to everyone (now that I got the healing system working).
    Impeached
    posted 03-30-06 09:40 PM CT (US)     44 / 69       

Quoted from Cesar Benardi 3-24-06:

In aproximately (sp?) a week I'll be sending an updated version to everyone (now that I got the healing system working).

Its been more than a week since then. When will the playesting version come out?

me
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 03-30-06 09:43 PM CT (US)     45 / 69       
    Real life got me into some problems. I'll get everything done tonight and send the new versions within the weekend.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

And BTW, it's been 6 days since I said that.

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 03-30-2006 @ 09:45 PM).]

Impeached
    posted 03-30-06 11:30 PM CT (US)     46 / 69       
    Ok, good .

me

[This message has been edited by MeGaIdIoT (edited 03-30-2006 @ 11:31 PM).]

Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 04-05-06 02:43 PM CT (US)     47 / 69       
    Just sent the new version to everyone. Please, read the rules in this thread before reporting, and the Readme file before playing.
    Snaily
    Squire
    posted 04-05-06 02:55 PM CT (US)     48 / 69       
    I wont be able to make that deadline. Going away at saturday and stay away for one week (until 16)... I hope that a vaild reason

...Snail...
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 04-05-06 04:11 PM CT (US)     49 / 69       
    Yes it is. Is 04/18/2006 good for you?

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 04-05-2006 @ 04:13 PM).]

Snaily
    Squire
    posted 04-06-06 07:48 AM CT (US)     50 / 69       
    I'll try

...Snail...
    Impeached
    posted 04-06-06 11:38 AM CT (US)     51 / 69       
    Check your e-mail more often Cesar... I e-mailed you yesterday about it.

me
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 04-06-06 02:22 PM CT (US)     52 / 69       
    Just saw it...

How many times have you tested it? I mean, the healing worked, not only for me, but for other people... even though on recent tests, all fights I put the character into were detected, EXCEPT for the one against the Woad Raider... just my luck...

Impeached
    posted 04-06-06 02:52 PM CT (US)     53 / 69       
    I tried several times, and it doesn't do anything. All you do is see the campfire with Skallagrim, Jarl Verlson, and Yatlan sitting there. I waited 2 minutes game time. =/

me
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 04-06-06 02:55 PM CT (US)     54 / 69       
    Edited acronym curse. - Anastasia

Skallagrim is supposed to talk after 5 seconds of game time.

EDIT: Forgot to reactivate the trigger (my bad...). Anyway, I shall send the cpx file to everyone and add a day to the deadline.

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-08-2006 @ 09:51 AM).]

Mashek331
    Squire
    posted 04-06-06 04:44 PM CT (US)     55 / 69       
    What was the deadline again, sorry? Ill do it tomorrow on saturday anyway.
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 04-06-06 04:47 PM CT (US)     56 / 69       
    Deadline is April 13. Can be changed if requested, provided with a good justification.
    Mashek331
    Squire
    posted 04-07-06 07:13 AM CT (US)     57 / 69       
    Cesar me man, I sent you my playtest review via email.
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 04-07-06 10:53 AM CT (US)     58 / 69       
    Boyee, I'm gonna have a lot of things to fix...

Anyway, I have sent you an email regarding your (great) report.

D412k_S4U120N
    Banned
    posted 04-09-06 05:09 PM CT (US)     59 / 69       
    I've only just got the E-mails, on part I "the militia." How do you get past the thugs attack I've tried many a time bit no dice. I've tried killing the leader, nothing happens after I kill him...
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 04-09-06 07:00 PM CT (US)     60 / 69       
    If you get stuck read the walkthrough in the Readme file.
    D412k_S4U120N
    Banned
    posted 04-10-06 06:57 AM CT (US)     61 / 69       
    I've sent the report cesar, check your E-Mail when you can.

P.S. When are the next files going to be sent, because if I don't get them I'll be sick.

Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 04-10-06 12:55 PM CT (US)     62 / 69       
    I have sent them back in 5 of April.

Anyway, I shall send you a fresh instalation feature (THANK YOU OLLIE!!!) so you can check it out, OK?

Impeached
    posted 04-10-06 01:05 PM CT (US)     63 / 69       
    Sorry, I won't have time to playtest this for awhile, so take me off the list =/. Sorry.

me
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 04-10-06 01:22 PM CT (US)     64 / 69       
    Very well. I shall remove you from the list, but if you got some spare time just post here.
    D412k_S4U120N
    Banned
    posted 04-29-06 01:51 PM CT (US)     65 / 69       
    you seriously need to give us your progress we don't even know if you've stopped completely or if you're doing it in private.
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 04-29-06 02:10 PM CT (US)     66 / 69       
    Oh, sorry. It's temporarily on hold, due to creativity block and lack of time.
    Neko Magi
    Squire
    posted 04-30-06 07:39 PM CT (US)     67 / 69       
    Awesome! I can't wait till it becomes avalibale.
    Cesar Bernardi
    Squire
    posted 04-30-06 07:43 PM CT (US)     68 / 69       
    Hopefully by the end of the year... but I've put it temporarily on hold (as mentioned before)... I don't have much time to work on it nowadays...
    Neko Magi
    Squire
    posted 04-30-06 07:52 PM CT (US)     69 / 69       
    Yeah... I can understand that... I have like three projects due next week, so I know the feeling...
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames