You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.35 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Robin Hood scenario
Bottom
Topic Subject:Robin Hood scenario
hamillhair
Squire
posted 04-28-06 01:42 PM CT (US)         
I'm currently in the middle of creating the first scenario in a Robin Hood campaign. This is proving a challenge as I have never created a scenario before.

Having read the responses of various respondents I improved my map. I have added some more screenshots next to the original ones so the new map can be compared to the original one. Please comment, so I know whether they're ok or not. Here they are anyway:

Nottingham castle:
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=AOK002.jpg&h=xs300&d=06181

Robin Hood in Forest: Original:
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=AOK003.jpg&h=xs200&d=06181
Improved:
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=AOK007.jpg&h=xs100&d=06195

Lockesley manor: Original:
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=AOK004.jpg&h=xs200&d=06181
Improved:
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=AOK008.jpg&h=xs300&d=06195

Bandit camp: Original:
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=AOK006.jpg&h=xs200&d=06181
Improved:
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=AOK009.jpg&h=xs300&d=06195

There is also a new screenshot of Robin Hood meeting Little John:
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=AOK010.jpg&h=xs300&d=06195

The story of the campaign is based on the Robin Hood legend and also on the Errol Flynn and Kevin Costner movies.

This only the first scenario but I would like people to playtest this one so I know what I'm doing correctly and what I'm doing wrong so I can improve it and then make the rest of the scenarios.

The story behind this one is basically how Robin Hood becomes an outlaw in the first place. It may not be true to the legend because to my knowledge there is no definitive Robin Hood legend; there seem to be many legends which all share common features. For the story of this scenario, I've interpreted the events in the Errol Flynn film because I rather like that version.

Progress so far:

map: pretty much complete

triggers: 70% (some are being a bit temperamental)

Any volunteers?

Eating breakfast is a good thing to do.
Unless it's poisoned; in which case it isn't.

Money is the root of all evil. Therefore it is my solemn duty to protect mankind by accumulating as much of it as possible, regardless of my personal safety.

[This message has been edited by hamillhair (edited 05-12-2006 @ 04:22 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Cesar Bernardi
Squire
posted 04-28-06 01:57 PM CT (US)     1 / 35       
It would help if you added some description of the campaign, and perhaps some screenshots. People might get more interested.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 04-28-06 02:03 PM CT (US)     2 / 35       
What Cesar said. Also, you can ask for reviews in the Review Requests, about Reviewing and Tutorials II thread.

I'll playtest it for you. Mail it to me at: Hussarknight@hotmail.com.

Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Hussarknight (edited 04-28-2006 @ 02:05 PM).]

hamillhair
Squire
posted 04-28-06 02:10 PM CT (US)     3 / 35       
Ok.

Sorry, but I know very little about this whole designing and reviewing thing.

I'll set up another thread with screenshots and things when I've made more progress. So far, I've been setting up the cutscenes and introductions so the scenario is about 5 mins long and the map is pretty empty.

Cheers Hussarknight. I'll email it to you when I've finished.

Money is the root of all evil. Therefore it is my solemn duty to protect mankind by accumulating as much of it as possible, regardless of my personal safety.

Cesar Bernardi
Squire
posted 04-28-06 02:13 PM CT (US)     4 / 35       
No need to set a new thread... just edit this one using this button.
hamillhair
Squire
posted 04-28-06 02:26 PM CT (US)     5 / 35       
Oh yeah!

Cheers. I'll update it then.

Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 05-01-06 11:10 AM CT (US)     6 / 35       
Screenshot 1: Looks good. If I were you, I would use "display instructions" to send messages instead of the "send chat".
Screenshot 2: Try to make the edges of the forest less straight. Have the line of trees fall back and rise, add some forage bushes. Also, it might be a good thing to add dirt to the path.
Screenshot 3: Instead of jusr dirt 1, use different patches of dirt. Also adding road and grass 3 might be a god thing.
Screenshot 4: Use different yurts. Just one type lookes boring.

Hussarknight
Boosh
Squire
posted 05-01-06 11:32 AM CT (US)     7 / 35       
The idea looks good, but my big peeve is map design. The last shot is great, because it looks like nature. The way I like to put it is:

Nature doesn't happen on purpose. Nature happens by coincidence and circumstance, therefore you must make it look like coincidence and circumstance. This means a lot of elevation, a lot of terrain mixing, mixing of forest types, of land types, etc... It's tougher on non-winter maps because there really are only 6 basic terrains to use, the 3 dirts and the 3 grasses. Around forests try not to make leaves the only terrain. Sometimes dirts can make a very effective foresty look when in combination with grasses and leaves. Small patches of deserts at waterfronts can extend the beaches.

I wrote an article on map design and sent it in to the TSuniversity. It might help you. Other than that, I can't wait to see the finished product!

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
-Gandalf
The_Slayer90
Squire
posted 05-01-06 12:02 PM CT (US)     8 / 35       
I'll playtest. Send it to- Therunnerking90@yahoo.com
hamillhair
Squire
posted 05-01-06 02:07 PM CT (US)     9 / 35       
Thanks a lot for all the advice. I thought it looked a bit fake myself but didn't really know what to do.

You've all helped me out a lot. The finished product might be a little while because I'm also revising for exams at the moment but I'll get it done as soon as I can.

Also, can anybody help me with the 'healing like a hero' trigger? I tried to use what was in the FAQ but I found that I couldn't fit all the numbers in for the last two effects in the quantity box. Am I doing something wrong?

(@ Boosh: How exactly do you bump threads?)

[This message has been edited by hamillhair (edited 05-01-2006 @ 02:13 PM).]

Cesar Bernardi
Squire
posted 05-01-06 02:16 PM CT (US)     10 / 35       
Healing trigger:

Condition:
Timer (1~3)
Effect 1:
Damage object
- (16777217 - unit's HP)
Effect 2:
(16777216 - unit's HP)

Loop it.

General Azzlol
Squire
posted 05-01-06 02:18 PM CT (US)     11 / 35       
I have to say:nice screenshots and a robin hood campaign is a real challenge.Especially because most people know the story and your campaign has to fit in the story.

I want to see what you make of it,so i will playtest it,OK???
I wish you good luck.
E-mail(AOE_2_Testgamer@hotmail.com)

hamillhair
Squire
posted 05-01-06 02:24 PM CT (US)     12 / 35       
It's the "Damage object: -(16777217-HP)" that I have difficulty understanding. Do you literally put that? And then put " Damage object: (16777216-HP)" in the next effect? Does this include the brackets? You use cut and paste to put brackets and minus signs in do you?

@ General Azzlol: Thanks a lot.

[This message has been edited by hamillhair (edited 05-01-2006 @ 02:26 PM).]

Cesar Bernardi
Squire
posted 05-01-06 02:26 PM CT (US)     13 / 35       
For example:

If your unit's HP is 100.
Then your numbers will be (- 16777117) and 16777116.

To add a "-" sign, copy it and paste it into the box by right-clicking it and pressing "paste". CTRL + V doesn't work.

hamillhair
Squire
posted 05-01-06 02:28 PM CT (US)     14 / 35       
THATS what it means!!

OK! Everything's clear to me now. Thanks a lot. :-D

Neko Magi
Squire
posted 05-01-06 05:07 PM CT (US)     15 / 35       
I look forward to playing this. I'd love to play test it for you. muhsprodigy@yahoo.com if you want me too.
Map_maker_tester
Squire
posted 05-01-06 05:12 PM CT (US)     16 / 35       
Nice, I'll playtest! fredrik@hiaasen.no

Proud AOKH'er.

Creator of the PbP book. Check it out at www.serentine.blogspot.com
hun_hustler
Squire
posted 05-02-06 06:11 AM CT (US)     17 / 35       
Yes I will playtest too. Email is king_of_kong27@hotmail.com

----HUN
hu$tler
fuzzydude45
Squire
posted 05-02-06 08:52 AM CT (US)     18 / 35       
Sign me UP~~~~ Keyblade916@aol.com
hamillhair
Squire
posted 05-02-06 12:23 PM CT (US)     19 / 35       
Thanks a lot everyone! I'm making a note of all the e-mail addresses. I'll get it to you as soon as I've finished.

[This message has been edited by hamillhair (edited 05-02-2006 @ 12:24 PM).]

The_Slayer90
Squire
posted 05-02-06 02:02 PM CT (US)     20 / 35       
We'll be waiting. Would you like a confirmation email when we get your scen?
hamillhair
Squire
posted 05-03-06 07:28 AM CT (US)     21 / 35       
That would be great. Cheers.

hamillhair
Squire
posted 05-12-06 04:23 AM CT (US)     22 / 35       
Hi everyone. New screenies have been added to this thread now. I'd appreciate it if people would tell me what they think. Cheers!

Impeached
VIP (Reverie World Studios)
(id: MeGaIdIoT)
posted 05-12-06 10:01 AM CT (US)     23 / 35       
This looks a lot better than the old Robin Hood camaign, nice job .

me
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 05-12-06 10:07 AM CT (US)     24 / 35       
The new screenies are ar better then the old ones.

Bandit camp: There's one yurt that has its opening away from the camp. That looks a bit silly.

Robin in the forest: Don't use enter in text, because it makes silly sqaures apear at the end.

Locksley Manor: Don't change it. It's good.

Robin meeting Liitle John: Place the deer somewhere else. Deer not fleeing when someone comes to them just isn't natural.

Hussarknight
hamillhair
Squire
posted 05-12-06 12:30 PM CT (US)     25 / 35       

Quote:

Don't use enter in text, because it makes silly sqaures apear at the end.

Could you please clarify what you mean because I don't understand.
Thanks for the critique though.

[This message has been edited by hamillhair (edited 05-12-2006 @ 12:33 PM).]

Scud
Primus inter pares
posted 05-12-06 12:35 PM CT (US)     26 / 35       
Nice improvemnts, but you could still do some more terrain mixing and elavation mixing, but its looking good so far

Also...why are the pictures tiny?

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
hamillhair
Squire
posted 05-12-06 12:37 PM CT (US)     27 / 35       
I converted them to JPEG format before putting them on the website.

Scud
Primus inter pares
posted 05-12-06 12:38 PM CT (US)     28 / 35       
No idea why they shrunk @_@ then, well in future, just don't touch them then (only joking...but it is sure wierd)

"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
hamillhair
Squire
posted 05-12-06 12:40 PM CT (US)     29 / 35       
Should they have stayed the same size then?

Scud
Primus inter pares
posted 05-12-06 12:41 PM CT (US)     30 / 35       
.........yes, and i use XS to host my screenshots aswell.

hamillhair
Squire
posted 05-12-06 12:46 PM CT (US)     31 / 35       
Oh well. Never mind. It's still possible to see what is in the picture so it doesn't really matter that much.

Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 05-12-06 01:14 PM CT (US)     32 / 35       
I also use Xs, becasue imageshack and photobucket are blocked by my firewall.

@hamillhair: If you use [enter]in a "display instructions" effect, square's will apear behind your typed text. TO prevent this, you can do this: Don't use [enter]. Instead, use spaces for spacing.

I hope that was clear enough.

Hussarknight
Jeremiah
Squire
posted 05-13-06 05:49 AM CT (US)     33 / 35       
Ah, fun a new Robin Hood campaign!

I had some ideas for an adventure concerning this outlaw, but I never got around designing the whole plan... Ah, well.

Good luck with completing it. I'll check it out when it's availible in the Blacksmith.

"Luctor et emergo."

» Jeremiah
Staff Member of Dragon Gaming Design Network
Visit the TreeTop Productions Blog!
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 05-13-06 07:42 AM CT (US)     34 / 35       
I started a Robin Hood campaign once.. or twice... whatever.
But I only made the first scenario. Its pretty good, but not competable to this.

And just a comment: I thought it was Locksley Hall, not Manor! Bahm whatever!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
hamillhair
Squire
posted 05-13-06 07:43 AM CT (US)     35 / 35       
@ Jeremiah: Thanks for that.

@ Hussarknight: I'll go back and change it then. Cheers!

@ Lord Basse: They didn't have halls in that period of history. It was mainly manor houses and castles. Halls didn't come along until around the 1400s (or later).

[This message has been edited by hamillhair (edited 05-13-2006 @ 07:49 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames