You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The 'black square of doom'... Anyone noticed this with AoKTS?
Bottom
Topic Subject:The 'black square of doom'... Anyone noticed this with AoKTS?
Daftpanzer
Squire
posted 05-08-06 09:12 PM CT (US)         
So, using the new TS option to edit elevation on a certain square, i noticed you can raise a square more than 1 level above its neighbours...

When i had a look in-game, i saw the square appears like it is floating, IE there are no 'slopes' up to it at all. Also, there is a straight-edged black square underneath it, a 'hole' in the map

I thought that either of these things would be kinda cool for certain graphic/gameplay effects...

However, i noticed that AoK freezes up about 1 second after the square comes on screen (but i could alt-tab out of there easy enough)

Just wondering if i've missed a discussion on this already... any uses for this? any way to make it *not* freeze up?

Since it doesnt seem to freeze up while its not visible, I guess this might also be useful as a rather cruel punishment for marco/polo cheaters

Ive not tried lowering a square by 2 steps either, i also wonder what that does... too lazy to try right now

Thanks for any help or replies

AuthorReplies:
Cesar Bernardi
Squire
posted 05-08-06 11:04 PM CT (US)     1 / 20       
I didn't understood very well how you achieved this black square...
newIdea
Illuminator
posted 05-09-06 00:13 AM CT (US)     2 / 20       
Si. Good job finding it.

It's actually been known by few people, for a while, it turns out.

I too thought I found something new, but was quickly shot down by some "high-end trickers". I was actually going to use this for my "Funniest Screenshot" for zyx's contest, but it was DQ'd. Yes, this is the Infamous DQ'd screenshot:
[GIF, (130.89 KB)]

Although, I've never had it crash, just by simply looking at it. I have had it crash by doing more "complicated" things to it. It's quite fun to play around with.

And again, good job finding it.

EDIT: Extra Screenie>[GIF, (150.55 KB)]

dannyking.me

[This message has been edited by newIdea (edited 05-09-2006 @ 11:36 AM).]

PaulC2001
Squire
posted 05-09-06 02:05 AM CT (US)     3 / 20       
What happens when units try to walk up it? Does it act like impassable terrain or do they jump up to the raised square?
newIdea
Illuminator
posted 05-09-06 02:15 AM CT (US)     4 / 20       
They just jump to it.
My 2nd screenie kind of shows that is just leaps to it. That white line is the "selection circle" that appears around a unit when you select it.

dannyking.me

militia mouse
Squire
posted 05-09-06 03:01 AM CT (US)     5 / 20       
Hmm looks interesting, I'll see what I came come up with..

:::::M:I:L:I:T:I:A:M:O:U:S:E::::

drop in to eleven:11 - my gallery
:::::::::Tsunami::Studios:::::::::
TheTrebuchet
Squire
posted 05-09-06 08:22 AM CT (US)     6 / 20       
If the floating tile was hidden correctly, the could be used as a cave/pit in the ground.

. : T h e  T r e b u c h e t : .
    Member since 10/10/04
    Creator of the best Splash Splash ever
    SS XXIV - The Takeover
    --=---~--=-=---~-=--
"The turtles can only do so much dancing before they get tired. Then they go back in the box." -Luke M
jackdeathwish
Squire
posted 05-09-06 08:50 AM CT (US)     7 / 20       
might be nice to put a building on the sqare that is raised (on its "special" spot"), that way the building would apeear to be floating.
TheTrebuchet
Squire
posted 05-09-06 09:08 AM CT (US)     8 / 20       
That gives me an idea.....

It could be possible to make it look like a unit is walking in/under said building.....

EDIT: The problem is that it only works with elevation 8 (If im correct)

. : T h e  T r e b u c h e t : .
    Member since 10/10/04
    Creator of the best Splash Splash ever
    SS XXIV - The Takeover
    --=---~--=-=---~-=--
"The turtles can only do so much dancing before they get tired. Then they go back in the box." -Luke M

[This message has been edited by Trebuchet (edited 05-09-2006 @ 09:25 AM).]

oliver
Squire
posted 05-09-06 09:47 AM CT (US)     9 / 20       

Quote:

I too thought I found something new, but was quickly shot down by some "high trickers".

Haha pwnt.

The FT, or Flying Tile as I call it, is unfortunately very buggy. It seldom causes a crash in the editor, but when you are testing your scenario the game will crash when you move your cursor over the black spot. However, a crash does not occur if the FT is placed together with the edge of the map. Therefore, if you place your FT as in nI's pictures, the game will not crash. Placing a FT not in conjunction with an edge is risky - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Several FT's in a row will always crash, AFAIK.

http://xs300.xs.to/xs300/06192/ex1.jpg

I discovered the FT's on my own long time ago when I made L&T part 1. I'm not sure if I was the first though, I recall a screenie posted by Ruler of Hell in the AoKH Designer's Tavern some 8-10 months ago. He wasn't aware of what he had done, but I am now certain that he had accidentally made a FT.

Furthermore, you can create some interesting effects if you put down regular elevation near the the lower or upper-right edge of the map and then expand the map with AoKTS. It might look like this. Sadly this will obviously cause the game to crash as soon as you move the cursor over the black area.

http://xs300.xs.to/xs300/06192/ex2.jpg

PaulC2001
Squire
posted 05-09-06 12:14 PM CT (US)     10 / 20       

Quote:

My 2nd screenie kind of shows that is just leaps to it. That white line is the "selection circle" that appears around a unit when you select it.

Haha I thought you'd drawn that in.

Ollie, your 1st screenie is awesome...

newIdea
Illuminator
posted 05-09-06 12:29 PM CT (US)     11 / 20       
Argh. Yeah, it's more impressive than mine. =/

dannyking.me

Daftpanzer
Squire
posted 05-09-06 06:23 PM CT (US)     12 / 20       
Those are some cool pics! I loved the 'so long, suckers' lol!!

I didnt know you could get cool effects like that... Ill definately have to play around with this Thanks very much...

BTW, what if the black area was hidden by normal slopes on the sides facing the screen, with a sheer drop only on the opposite sides? If you get what i mean....

militia mouse
Squire
posted 05-09-06 07:20 PM CT (US)     13 / 20       
Could this be used to put an archer on the castle tower?.

:::::M:I:L:I:T:I:A:M:O:U:S:E::::

drop in to eleven:11 - my gallery
:::::::::Tsunami::Studios:::::::::
newIdea
Illuminator
posted 05-09-06 08:47 PM CT (US)     14 / 20       
Well, it's very hard to use this effect for anything. As Ollie said, the more advanced techniques(ollie's) are very impractical. When used away from the edge of the map, the game will freeze/crash when you bring your cursor to the black area.

dannyking.me

Mr Unknown
Squire
posted 05-10-06 05:32 PM CT (US)     15 / 20       
how do u make the elevation? i dont get it

i made a black square in da ground but each time i move my screen, the game freezes

Hey, cant u make an um.. waterfall with this trick?

[This message has been edited by Mr Unknown (edited 05-10-2006 @ 05:40 PM).]

azure skies
Squire
(id: ThUnDeR77)
posted 05-11-06 03:24 AM CT (US)     16 / 20       
K, so here's the story:
I was playing with this, and I started to make a cartoon. Since I am really lazy, I map copied a villager to make it go in formation (to look at the villie on the FT), and it did this:

Might be an effect of lag, I dunno. So I decided to test to see what it would look like in-game. I got this weird message that said "At least one or more player must have the 'Either' Player Type." So I was like "WTF?" and opened up the player tab. I saw that there was only 1 player, and gaia.

So what caused this? I already noticed previously that William Wallace campaign, scenario 2 ("Feeding the Army") has only 1 player. How exactly they achieved this is beyond me.

Anyways, I'll bet anyone a dollar that Ollie will make this into a very interesting little utility by using my trick (same as the negative population thing)

Also:
[JPEG, (77.97 KB)]
[JPEG, (73.61 KB)]

[This message has been edited by Thunder77 (edited 05-11-2006 @ 03:35 AM).]

newIdea
Illuminator
posted 05-11-06 03:41 AM CT (US)     17 / 20       

Quote:

I already noticed previously that William Wallace campaign, scenario 2 ("Feeding the Army") has only 1 player. How exactly they achieved this is beyond me.

Um, change the "Number of Players" to one. I usually do my tests with only one player.

That "At least one or more player must have the 'Either' Player Type." message appears when you start a map from scratch with AoKTS. If you started a scenario from scratch with AoKTS, then that's why you got that message.

That screenie you posted is a glitch that happens when you change elevation near the edge of the map. It shows the terrain that was previously there, when you change the elevation. It goes away immediatley after you change your view away from it.

dannyking.me

zyxomma100
Squire
posted 05-11-06 05:45 PM CT (US)     18 / 20       
I think a lot of people discovered this trick at about the same time.

The day a working AoKTS version came out (or something like that, I remember playing with it as soon as I d/led it), I started playing with all the controls, and got this effect, too. I think most of the implications are obvious, however, and I never went into the extensive studies that nI and Olly did.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
DiGiT
Squire
posted 05-12-06 07:05 PM CT (US)     19 / 20       
Hehe I discovered it when I first tried expanding a map with AOKTS. It turned out that I hadn't initialized the extra array-space yet, so random data got put into the map. It was pretty cool until it crashed.

Oh and btw, I've filed a bug report about that players error, it'll be fixed in the next version.

Creator of the AOK Trigger Studio, a work not in progress.
Wise men still seek Him.
PaulC2001
Squire
posted 05-13-06 05:22 PM CT (US)     20 / 20       
I did do something like this ages ago, when I enlarged a small map. Because the edges of the map where higher than elevation 2, the original section of map floated above the new bits. Didn't think it worth mentioning tbh.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames