You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » AoKH Mini Game Competition 2008 Results
Bottom
Topic Subject:AoKH Mini Game Competition 2008 Results
viperiv
Squire
(id: EpIc CoMmandeR)
posted 07-19-08 08:34 AM CT (US)         

THE AOKH MINI GAME COMPETITION 2008 RESULTS!

Welcome!

Ok before we go on I just want to thank all the judges; Mashek, Julius999 and also JuBu Orangie, who although he didn't get the results in on time, he did try his best and to the other two judges for putting their time and effort into judging this comp, especially Mashek for filling in for me at short notice. Give it up for the judges!.

And I would also like to congratulate and thank all the participants who without you this comp wouldn't be going! And now onto the results

In last place with a total of 64 points it is Monk: A Sad Story by Hunnic Paladin

In fifth place with a total of 74 points it is Romeo & Juliet: On ice by Fattybryce

In fourth place with a total of 76 points it is A Path to Destruction by Warlord002

Now we are down to the final three contestants, you may think you know who will win after this short intermission...

Only Joking!

In third place with a total of 83 points it is The black gate of Mordor by Dantares IV congratulations Dantares!

Ok now down to the final two. [/typical TV contest delays]

In second place with a very high score of 90 points it is Battle of Thermopylae by sSc_Cobra007 Congratulations Cobra! Well deserved second.

And the winner is:

Lord Basse and his mini game Tower of the Moon with 102 points! Well done basse in winning the Age of Kings Heaven Mini Game Competition 2008

Total Scores:
(Julius - Mashek)
1st: Lord basse 50 - 52
2nd: sSc_Cobra007 41 - 49
3rd: Dantares IV 44 - 39
4th: Warlord002 42 - 34
5th: Fattybryce 34 - 40
6th: Hunnic Paladin 34 - 30

So thats the end of this years Mini Game Comp. Goodbye!
AuthorReplies:
Julius999
Imposter
posted 07-19-08 08:47 AM CT (US)     1 / 23       
Interesting to see how Mashek's scores and mine differ. Still, no major conflict.

Congratulations to the top three, and well done to everyone who met the deadline.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
morgoth bauglir
Squire
posted 07-19-08 09:09 AM CT (US)     2 / 23       
Basse won, eh? Gongrats to him.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
Mash
Huskarl
(id: Mashek)
posted 07-19-08 10:27 AM CT (US)     3 / 23       
JUDGING RESULTS BY MASHEK

WARNING: There may be spoilers within the review of contestants’ entries.

I’ve also added a little comment under each category for all entries. Be aware though, it is all so rushed and some comments a little to the point! But it should give each author an idea of where he’s at with his entry.

=+===================+=

~The Black Gate of Mordor~
by Dantares

=+===================+=

PLAYABILITY - 8/15

Quite good, fun, challenging - kept me working for the few minutes it ran for. However, too hard. Far too many enemies are spawning against me – units are surrounded with little or no say. It is sometimes hard to move around and save entrapped heroes who move without my consent (stand ground has no use here, I need my units to attack – I can’t control them all at once). My mind breaks down because there is simply too much to handle at any one time. Enemy waves would work well here.

MAP DESIGN - 8/10

The design is competent in that it portrays the Black Gate and surrounding area quite nicely. If anything, I felt the only problem was that Mordor itself suffered from a lack of realism and a little more around detail.

CREATIVITY - 11/15

Taking the judging guidelines into account, this is an original mini-game with a fair amount of creative devices used to enhance gameplay. Selecting signs to activate spells, changing one hero from an archer to a swordsman, defending from ruins against literally overwhelming hordes, and a tower collapsing after a time-based defence all builds into the overall rating.

BALANCE - 5/10

Too hard! Too overwhelming! Although I understand the author’s intent, an extra spell that destroys all or most units inside the ruins itself would have really benefited the player. I found myself dying too much around the 4:40s mark. I couldn't last any longer, even after several tries. Besides, I didn’t much like how the enemy attacked me all at once. Left a lot to be desired in terms of strategy. All I could do was try and hold my ground in the narrowest of margins, without actually being able to use the ruins to my advantage.

OVERALL RATING - 7/10

For what it is, a mini-game with reasonably good playability and replay value. However, I think the difficulty very much counts against the enjoyment side. Could have been just a tad more easy.

Total = 39/60

=+===================+=

Battle of Thermopylae
by sSc_Cobra007

=+===================+=

PLAYABILITY - 13/15

I had a lot of fun playing this adaptation from the film ‘300’. The sounds and music were great, the tricks quite impressive for a mini-game, but there were a few bugs that counted against this in some way or another. The balance was a little off-tone in areas, where units crossing the ocean could be easily bottlenecked from the shore and then killed. As well as this, the abomination never managed to hit me as I drew him around the map with Leonidas, taking shots at him every few intervals. There probably should have been some limitations here as to where I could go during the duel. Still, a good opening cut-scene which helped set the stage. We actually know what’s happening all-round, instead of being thrown straight into the action.

MAP DESIGN - 7/10

The map design was good, technically creative for a mini-game, however a little buggy with units able to cross the ocean, lots of ugly looking rocks and lacking in some parts with regards to terrain mixing and Gaia. Still, it looked the part of a dry narrow pass.

CREATIVITY - 14/15

Plenty of things happened, which allow for good playability and replay value. I particularly enjoyed the whole concept of the game, where the enemy attacks in a series of waves, each wave stronger and more versatile than the previous, rather than just attacking all at once. There is also a morale system of sorts, with units getting stronger with every few kills and a leader’s presence. In addition, the scoring system toward the end was excellent, scoring 33538 on my second reload, but seemed a little pointless in terms that I can’t really compare it with the author’s overall score (which he could have listed in the aftermath condition for interest) or any player’s. A benchmark would allow the player to opt for a better outcome each play.

BALANCE - 7/10

For the first half, this was nicely challenging. I had to keep my units together and keep pulling back so that men would not die. However, toward the end I could easily deal with the main hero units sent against me by surrounding them with my forces, drawing them away with hit and run tactics, or bottlenecking one in the ocean. This left the challenging aspect of the design a little to be desired for some part. Needed something to keep the player constantly on the edge and fighting for his life.

OVERALL RATING - 8/10

An excellent mini-game, with plenty of tricks, replay value and things to keep playability going. However it has its flaws and could certainly be further polished.

Total = 49/60

=+===================+=

The Tower of the Moon
by Lord Basse

=+===================+=

PLAYABILITY - 14/15

The story sets this little design up very well, with plenty of character description, in-game text shown through a few cut-scenes and a map depicting the lay of the countryside and battles fought. The stage was set so well that in fact I felt as though I was playing an epic of sorts, with this scenario a mere prelude to what was to come. The battle was fun and challenging to come, and the featured characters had some life to them, even though the ending was more or less a little strange! Still, fun, challenging and with a nicely set up story. In particular, I really enjoyed the sounds and music.

MAP DESIGN - 9/10

A very competent map design, and nicely technical for a mini-game. A fort, plenty of elevation and things to keep the attention, including an enemy camp.

CREATIVITY - 13/15

Music, sounds, a good story, plenty of hints, creative map design and creative naming – what more is to be said?

BALANCE - 8/10

This is adequately challenging, I lost all of my units bar my two heroes just before midnight! But I pulled through. In hindsight, there are many areas to defend from, and elevation offering opportunities to fall back to.

OVERALL RATING - 8/10

An entertaining mini-game with an epic storyline, although the ending was a little strange.

Total = 52/60

=+===================+=

The Path To Destruction
by Warlord002

=+===================+=

PLAYABILITY - 7/15

The mini-game overall was quite fun, but I felt that more could have happened. As it were, there seemed to be too little going on, with only the three simple waves which seemed to drive mindlessly toward your lines to keep you in check. Still, the introductory story was well appreciated and I liked the idea of receiving reinforcements. However, the music was really annoying! There was a bug at the end of the scenario after fighting off all three waves, where I received a defeated message instead of a victory message which was strange.

MAP DESIGN - 7/10

The map design was good, very nicely designed and laid out. The village was probably too big though, leaving the enemy assaults at the main gateway quite easy to face and organise my men under. The design was also quite plain in that it is not very technical in nature, which would have made the game a little more creative and challenging. Opt for more than one entrance next time, whether through multiple gates or a breach in a wall from behind – just to liven the game up a bit more.

CREATIVITY - 8/15

This had some interesting tricks and creative devices, in particular the story, battle based around three clear-cut waves, and reinforcements accumulated by leaving a huskarl on a flag by the barracks. The bitmap and hints adds to the overall rating as well.

BALANCE - 6/10

The first two waves really left a lot to be desired, and I swept them aside with little or no difficulty. However, the third wave decimated my forces and I was forced to pull back and rely on hit and run tactics, which was the challenge I was after. Good, but could be better with stronger preliminary waves and enemy assaults through more than one entrance.

OVERALL RATING - 6/10

Overall a promising mini-game, well made, but could offer much more with a major edit.

Total = 34/60

=+===================+=

Romeo & Juliet - On Ice
by Fattybryce

=+===================+=

PLAYABILITY - 10/15

I actually quite liked this; a nice change from all those hack and slash mini-games! This offers something new where Romeo must overcome some icy obstacles to bring Juliet her coat. However, this is too short, and once the player has mastered going around the sharp rocks and toward another direction to get to Juliet on his first try, the game quickly ends and loses replay value. I suppose this is a mini-game, and very original, but we need more!

MAP DESIGN - 8/10

The map design is very good, considering still that the map is only very, very small – smaller than all the others. But it all does what it’s supposed to.

CREATIVITY - 9/15

This is nicely creative, and very original too, with a rather humourous approach to what might happen on a couple’s picnic outside in the snow. I liked the slippery ice, crashing into rocks, and only gaining control from the main unit’s sliding when on snow - but that’s really all there is. As it’s such a small mini-game, can be done in about a dozen seconds, the gameplay and thus the creativity is very limited and I feel this limits the score a bit. Maybe a bitmap or some sounds would have made a little bit more of a difference?

BALANCE - 7/10

I suppose being what this is, the game is perfectly balanced in that there are equal opportunities to bring Juliet her coat and die in the freezing water. Still, after the first try it’s very easy to win without failing at all, which I feel warrants a minimal score in this category. Perhaps a random generator of sorts changing where the danger actually occurs would have helped here, but this may mean creating a whole new mini-game to include a slightly larger map.

OVERALL RATING - 6/10

This is an entertaining and very original mini-game, however only on your first try. It’s so small and you know what to do afterwards without a mistake.

Total = 40/60

=+===================+=

Monk -- A Sad Story
by Hunnic Paladin

=+===================+=

PLAYABILITY - 6/15

This was a good idea, and could have been really good had it not finished so soon. There should have been more strategy and difficulty involved, for I converted a monk who then converted an archer, while racing my main monk across the bridge and winning. Original, promising, but requiring more!

MAP DESIGN - 7/10

The map design was quite adequate and suited the purpose of a wasteland/desert well. However, just a little unrealistic with lots of unnecessary flowers and mud paths.

CREATIVITY - 6/15

Again, the idea is creative and original, but apart from starting off as a monk and converting whoever you want to join your cause, plus a rather interesting and unexpected ending, that’s really all there is.

BALANCE - 6/10

It was hard in regards that you, as a monk, are against a whole band of ferocious Mongol raiders, but after converting a unit or two (who died without point anyway) I quickly raced my monk across the bridge and to the other side of the river while under fire and won. Again, this had potential to be so much more challenging, requiring all sorts of strategy to win, but sadly didn’t.

OVERALL RATING - 5/10

I liked this, it’s original and creative, but perhaps would do better with more obstacles that actually force the player to use conversions to win. This would have done well as a puzzle-like game where it required the conversion of a unit to say, unlock a door on the other side of a wall which you need to get passed.

Total = 30/60

~

In Order of Highest Overall Score:

52/60 - The Tower of the Moon by Lord Basse
49/60 - Battle of Thermopylae by sSc_Cobra007
40/60 - Romeo & Juliet - On Ice by Fattybryce
39/60 - The Black Gate of Mordor by Dantares
34/60 - The Path To Destruction by Warlord002
30/60 - Monk -- A Sad Story by Hunnic Paladin
Warlord002
Squire
posted 07-19-08 11:38 AM CT (US)     4 / 23       
I was going to have a fourth wave that comes at you from all sides, but I got caught up trying to fix a bunch of bugs. And, yes I knew the music was not exactly appropriate, but I didn't have time to look for better music. All I can say is:

I didn't get last place!

_______
|Warlord|
Owner of post 12345 in the New Splash Splash
Member of Blackforest Studios
morgoth bauglir
Squire
posted 07-19-08 11:41 AM CT (US)     5 / 23       
We should call it 6th place...

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
Dantares IV
Squire
posted 07-19-08 12:35 PM CT (US)     6 / 23       
YAY!! I was in the top three!!

Thank's for the pointers Mash. They're quite usefull since no one gave me much advise on the blacksmith file itself.

Congrats Basse

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
hunnic paladin
Squire
posted 07-19-08 01:19 PM CT (US)     7 / 23       
We should call it 6th place...
You rock, Quaazi; you are a great person. Maybe I should put in my sig... "6th place in MGC08!" ROFL! Thats great.

O well, at least there werent any other entries forcing me into 10th place. :\ I didnt really expect to win anyways. I rushed myself through that scenario. O well. Better luck next time... *runs to room to cry all day* JK

H U N N I C ~ P A L A D I N
HP is a very nice guy who'd rather be polite and nod his head in agreement to other people's opinions, than act tough and bluntly. -Andanu Trisatya
On another note, I read that you are 13, I must say that I think that you are very knowledgeable for 13. -street (That was a long time ago...)
Mystery Maze III - Currently Stalled - 39.8% Complete

[This message has been edited by Hunnic Paladin (edited 07-19-2008 @ 04:22 PM).]

UnnamedPlayer
Squire
posted 07-19-08 02:08 PM CT (US)     8 / 23       
Congratulations.

Nice to see a competition go through completion.
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 07-19-08 03:17 PM CT (US)     9 / 23       
I'll make my victory speech short, *clears throat*.

Yay! Cake for everyone!

I haven't played all entries yet but what I've seen so far is good, good work everyone. Thank you judges, and Epic for hosting everything, it's been an enjoyble time during the competition, except the overly long wait at the end
although the ending was a little strange.
Strange in a bad way?

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 07-19-2008 @ 03:18 PM).]

Fattybryce
Squire
posted 07-19-08 03:57 PM CT (US)     10 / 23       
Congrats Base. I knew you'd be up their when I played your scenario a little while back.

Thanks for the comments WH, glad you liked it.
I know it was a little small, maybe one day when I have some spare time I can make a slightly bigger version for the blacksmith. And that random generator sounds like a good idea, I may just use that.

The Wall

coming soon
Impeached
VIP (Reverie World Studios)
(id: MeGaIdIoT)
posted 07-19-08 05:52 PM CT (US)     11 / 23       
Could you put links in the topic post?

me
Mash
Huskarl
posted 07-19-08 09:52 PM CT (US)     12 / 23       
Strange in a bad way?
In a... funny way.

Congratulations to everyone for their good entries, by the way. I hope my comments helped in some small way.
Warlord002
Squire
posted 07-19-08 10:32 PM CT (US)     13 / 23       
I had a bit of difficulty with wave two, but I'm not a very good player. As crasher put it:
Typical SD-er who plays terribly

_______
|Warlord|
Owner of post 12345 in the New Splash Splash
Member of Blackforest Studios
JuBuOrangie
Squire
posted 07-19-08 10:50 PM CT (US)     14 / 23       
Hmmm I cant judge anymore?

Well Ill still give a short personal opinion on some.

Monk a sad story had a good story but not that good gameplay. Even though it had good balance it was fairly tedious.

Romeo and juliet on ice I just dont understand at all someone tries to make a maze on a tiny map? Pretty easy and short but it wasnt horrible either.

Path to destruction was fun to play but it was too short.

Battle of Thermopylae seemed to have bugs in it and since Im not used to mods looked very different indeed. The dissapearing soldiers was really annoying however.
Mash
Huskarl
posted 07-19-08 10:58 PM CT (US)     15 / 23       
Battle of Thermopylae seemed to have bugs in it and since Im not used to mods looked very different indeed. The dissapearing soldiers was really annoying however.
I don't suppose we as judges can penalise for the disappearing soldiers though, because the author did mention that we needed a mod to prevent it from happening.

EDIT: Okay, so we're in the news.

Fattybryce, could you please submit your entry to the Blacksmith sometime soon under the guise of "MGC08"? Just so people can download it. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by White Dragon (edited 07-20-2008 @ 01:33 AM).]

viperiv
Squire
(id: EpIc CoMmandeR)
posted 07-20-08 01:49 AM CT (US)     16 / 23       
Thanks, Mashek.
Andanu Trisatya
Squire
posted 07-21-08 08:11 AM CT (US)     17 / 23       
Congratulations, fellows.

████████
████████
/\NDANU TRISATY/\
The Least Skilled Member of StormWind Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
Julius999
Imposter
posted 07-21-08 08:17 AM CT (US)     18 / 23       
I don't suppose we as judges can penalise for the disappearing soldiers though, because the author did mention that we needed a mod to prevent it from happening.
I penalised for it. Modpacks were against the rules.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
Mash
Huskarl
posted 07-21-08 08:37 AM CT (US)     19 / 23       
Jatayu
Squire
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
posted 07-21-08 12:30 PM CT (US)     20 / 23       
The mod he needed was the heavy swordsman fix. This can be done with data editing. Eg. see my New units and ideas showcase.

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
Dantares IV
Squire
posted 07-21-08 11:14 PM CT (US)     21 / 23       
Ya, I had been wondering why that file hadn't been disqualified becasue of the mod.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
RON PAUL 2016
Squire
(id: Turty)
posted 07-22-08 09:35 PM CT (US)     22 / 23       
Congratulations to everyone who entered and placed! And congrats to Basse (though I bet that he would win, yet I lose to Dantares on the idea that I would have had something finished for this, but was working on something more important ).

Unfortunately, I'm not able to play any of these games at the moment (my MP3 player/Flash drive stopped working and I can only write files to CDs on my other computer), so I guess all of them are worth giving a go?
Stephen Richards
Squire
posted 07-23-08 05:25 PM CT (US)     23 / 23       
Congrats to Basse for winning, and to the others for getting something in. Haven't played any yet but will get to it at some point.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames