Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Change a unit's
Bottom
Topic Subject:Change a unit's
Wyo_Daniel
Squire
posted 07-28-08 10:59 AM CT (US)         
I was just wondering... is there any way to instantly change a unit's type with triggers? I was wondering how to do a 2 player Capture The Flag game, using actual flags instead of just relics. I was thinking that once you have one of your units (Let's say a crossbowman) directly on top of the opponent's flag, you have a trigger remove the flag, and then somehow mark that one unit that "picked up" the flag. The only way I could think of to do this would be to somehow change the object type of that one unit, so you could tell if he had died (Own fewer objects / 1 / that unit type), and you could tell if that one unit brought the enemy's flag back to your base (Objects in area / 1 / your base area).

This is much beyond the realm of anything I've ever learned. Any ideas?

EDIT :: What the hell did I do to mess up the name of the topic? It's supposed to be "Change a unit's object type?"

"I mean, imagine someone screaming 'MAH PANTS' with no pants. Wouldn't that be a truly comical sight?" ---Quaazi
"HOLY CRAP WYO YOU'RE FAT!!!" ---Quaazi

[This message has been edited by Wyo_Daniel (edited 07-28-2008 @ 03:30 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
morgoth bauglir
Squire
posted 07-28-08 11:03 AM CT (US)     1 / 7       
Well, you could remove the previous unit and place a new, unique unit, which is the flag-carrier.

Or you could automate the flag's return, by giving it ownership of a different player.

There are many ways, but none are very aesthetic.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
Wyo_Daniel
Squire
posted 07-28-08 04:05 PM CT (US)     2 / 7       
I considered that first option, but then it would be a dinky game cause whichever unit grabs the flag gets instantly healed from all the damage he took working his way to the flag.

I guess instead of your entire team of units being made of one unit type (E.G. 5 crossbowmen), you could have one of each type of unit at any given time (E.G. One crossbowman, one arbalest, one man-at-arms, one elite skirmisher, and one champion). That way you could kind of tell which unit picked up the flag, and tell when that particular unit died / got back to your own base. Wouldn't be anywhere near as cool as having the triggers single out which of several of the same unit was "carrying" your flag.

Perhaps instead of using "create object / crossbowman" to replenish your supply of units, I could have a kind of reservoir of units already created, belonging to gaia, and transfer the ownership of one unit at a time to the player. That way I could use simple "Object In Area" and "Destroy Object" conditions...

*Brainstorms*

"I mean, imagine someone screaming 'MAH PANTS' with no pants. Wouldn't that be a truly comical sight?" ---Quaazi
Wyo_Daniel
Squire
posted 07-30-08 11:15 AM CT (US)     3 / 7       
Ok, I have an idea, but I'm not sure how well it would work, because I'm not familiar with AOKTS. What I'd do is place about 500 crossbowmen on the map for each player (belonging to Gaia), using the map editor, and then go ahead and do a couple thousand triggers for each and every one of them, doing object-specific conditions like bring object to area, destroy object, etc.

Then, and this is what I don't know about, I'd use AOKTS to put all the crossbowmen that will go to P1 one a single tile, and all the crossbowmen that will go to P@ on another tile, and perhaps even make them invisible until they "spawn" (switch to P1 or P2's ownership). D_R said that would make the map lag like crazy.

Any suggestions on dealing with that? :S

aoe_eddy
Squire
posted 07-30-08 06:54 PM CT (US)     4 / 7       
I suck with triggers and too impatient with them, but i have an idea. How about making the trigger that always puts the flag right underneath the unit? Like- bring object to area- move object. Make a couple million of those triggers to every square of the map and the flag will follow the unit around =)
Impeached
VIP (Reverie World Studios)
(id: MeGaIdIoT)
posted 07-31-08 11:50 AM CT (US)     5 / 7       
You could use advanced genie editor to give the crossbowman the ability to pick up flags and similar properties to a monk.

me
Crazedmaniac
Squire
posted 07-31-08 11:59 AM CT (US)     6 / 7       
yay for AGE

CRAZEDMANIAC
The Ever Changing Maze Progress: 73%
Download the new beta here!

Proud member of DGDN
Leonardo985
Squire
posted 07-31-08 12:18 PM CT (US)     7 / 7       
Why don't you just do a "capture the relic game" using a monk? I don't really see the difference.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames