You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.845 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Playthrough Thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Playthrough Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 25  Next Page »
Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-10-17 01:07 PM CT (US)         
I've been getting back into playing through scenarios, and I thought it'd be a cool idea to have a place where we share the scenarios that we play in our spare time. It should be a good way to show different designers some hidden gems out there that could inspire some new ideas. Feel free to just mention which games your playing, give a summary or recommendation, crosspost your reviews from the Blacksmith, or even any scenarios you want people to playtest for you. It should be fun.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
AuthorReplies:
Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-10-17 01:12 PM CT (US)     1 / 845       
I've been playing through Halfdan and the inheritance of the Ynglings recently based on the recent discussions of scenarios from other communities. It's been pretty good so far. It has some role-playing elements and also some pretty good B&D elements. I'll likely write some more once I've finished.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 03-10-17 06:12 PM CT (US)     2 / 845       
Good idea for a topic (eric? leif?) ive often found myself wanting to discuss a scenario but not having to formulate my thoughts into a review format

I just revisited Shaytana's Fall of Constantinople to refresh my memory of it, and measure it against the many low-rated similar games covering the topic ive reviewed in the last month. Its still reasonably playable, on the userpatch the AI seems to be fiercer than before, thanks to shaytana providing the AI with the ability to make its own men rather than being stuck with preplaced units only. Its a pretty dated and simplistic game, but i found myself having a good time until the AIs resources gave out.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-10-17 10:33 PM CT (US)     3 / 845       
Haha, you can call me Leif, although Eric is my real name. And wow, that scenario predates The Quest.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-11-17 02:25 PM CT (US)     4 / 845       
I've been looking through some reviews, and I found this one for laughs: link

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
Bassi
Squire
posted 03-11-17 03:43 PM CT (US)     5 / 845       
Still more than 670 Downloads! Quite impressive!
Mash
Huskarl
(id: Mashek)
posted 03-11-17 04:48 PM CT (US)     6 / 845       
Or this one. Read the comments. I guess we know why they implemented the 13 minimum age rule.
Bassi
Squire
posted 03-11-17 05:11 PM CT (US)     7 / 845       
Please more of those!!
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 03-11-17 06:55 PM CT (US)     8 / 845       
Here is one that might make any designer Weep with Despair just look at that number of downloads. You probably wont beat that on AoKH atleast

I remember being 12 when i first went on to use the MSN Zone during the summer of 99. Man i should have made a user account here at that time so i was a legit oldie with a maximum aged account

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-11-17 08:11 PM CT (US)     9 / 845       
I just finished Halfdan. It ends on a cliffhanger. I went back and forth to the campaign menu before I realized there was only one playable scenario. The campaign does a good job of making you feel like you're on a chase.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
(id: Great_Artiste)
posted 03-12-17 06:02 AM CT (US)     10 / 845       
I personally really enjoyed that campaign, where you defend Vienna vs Turks ugh what is it called again?
Bassi
Squire
posted 03-12-17 06:11 AM CT (US)     11 / 845       
Could be Emperor's "Die letzte Bastion". I think Hockeysam translated it ... Maybe "The last Bation" in English?
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 03-12-17 09:48 AM CT (US)     12 / 845       
You may be thinking of Last Bastion or Siege of Vienna 1683 which is a popular steam campaign. Mark Stokers Siege of Belgrade features similar gameplay and is also worth playing still, though older.
Bassi
Squire
posted 03-12-17 09:51 AM CT (US)     13 / 845       
"Siege of Vienna 1683" is the most popular campaign on steam, and I can't figure out why. It's just running around with some Units, nearly no challenge and only average map design. Not bad though, but really nothing outstanding.

[This message has been edited by Bassi (edited 03-12-2017 @ 09:51 AM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 03-12-17 10:05 AM CT (US)     14 / 845       
I gave it a 3.6 in my review. Its a good game with a lack of creativity and not much in the story. It needs more gameplay elements to make it more fun, and more difficult challenges to raise the balance. Its just a normal scenario that shouldnt be number 1 on steam. The game relies on you attacking across a bridge to lose all your men at one point, well i didnt do that and had 116 men available to kill the "boss" a single elephant archer hero...sigh.
@Cataphract887:
Thank you for your kind words. If you enjoyed "Ordensbrüder", I'm sure you will also like "Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesada Part II". While the first part of this series is quite a Standard B&D Scenario (2007), the second part (2011) is a mix of FF and B&D with a lot of cut Scenes and Story input. All textlines voiced as well, more than 800 triggers.

http://agearena.de/e2/e2_spiel/inhalt/gonzalo.htm#,,

Like in "Ordensbrüder" a lot of other famous german Designers do the voice Overs, so you have aMa, Andi Wagner, Jernside and a lot of others in it was well, so it's a real AgeArea "product".
You can cross quote post in multiple threads and ill notice, thanks for the suggestion, ill definitely be playing through some more of your agearena works and probably from others as well at some point.

[This message has been edited by Kataphraktoi (edited 03-12-2017 @ 11:50 AM).]

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 03-12-17 11:02 AM CT (US)     15 / 845       
Imho also all of MCrnigoj creations are amazing especially 100 years war
I was thinking about the Last Bastion

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 03-12-2017 @ 11:04 AM).]

Al_Kharn the Great
Squire
posted 03-12-17 11:24 AM CT (US)     16 / 845       
"Siege of Vienna 1683" is the most popular campaign on steam, and I can't figure out why. It's just running around with some Units, nearly no challenge and only average map design. Not bad though, but really nothing outstanding.
Actually Ottoman Empire and Modern Turkey is the most subscribed and Siege of Vienna is second. Siege of Vienna has had the most unique visitors to its page, however. Maybe there's something to that period in history (ironically outside of the AoK timeframe).

Steam popularity really has to do with how to draw someone in to your item (see Rise of the Khmer cover). Ragnar's Raids has only been up for 5 days and it's already the Most Popular campaign of the past year! I am certain that has something to do with the bad-ass picture of the main character of a popular television show on the cover.
In short, its a scenario that appeals to people who havnt played AoE2 in 15+ years (majority of steam casuals) who just dont have the refined taste and gameplay ability to handle more complex food. Thats my main objection to content designed toward these people...its like a 5-star chef making baby food....
I will have to disagree with your assessment. I designed #3 - #5 of the most subscribed campaigns on Steam and they are a Neanderthal simulator, the Tristan and Iseult love story, and a sprawling DTS/FF with some RPG mechanics, hardly a sign of players who want simple scenarios. Then #6 - #9 are Lord Basse's scenarios. The Steam player base appreciates 'complex' scenarios.

Filthydelphia Creations
Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
Complete Campaign Collection

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 03-12-2017 @ 11:29 AM).]

Cataphract887
Squire
posted 03-12-17 11:48 AM CT (US)     17 / 845       
Seems i cant resist going on tangents and dragging threads off topic I deleted mine, if you wish to retract yours and will stay on topic after.

I started playing The latean Project on a recommendation from Possidon in a modding thread. Its a pretty interesting puzzle game with great map design. The only flaw with this savegame+mod configuration is that the userpatch cannot load the game

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 03-12-2017 @ 11:51 AM).]

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 03-12-17 12:23 PM CT (US)     18 / 845       
Al_Kharn the Great
You mentioned Tristan and Iseult and reminded me of something. I really want to play this campaign of yours but there is a bug or something and when it starts nothing happens
I mean I haven't waited for more than 2 min? Is it timed to start late? :/
Bassi
Squire
posted 03-12-17 12:38 PM CT (US)     19 / 845       
@Al_Kharn:
This steam rankings don't really make sense to me, a month ago my "Hulagu Khan" was ranked most popular campaign of the last year, followed by 2 other Scenarios of mine. Those Rankings change weakly (although some scenarios are always on page one, a lot of yours for example, since they're subscribed consistently). But in the end the "year statistic" isn't that convincing.

But I agree on what you said about using the popularity of TV characters etc. I'm sure there are quite a lot "Viking" fans ...

It's quite easy to substantiate that: Just put "Lord of the Rings" or "Game of Thrones" in your title and you get a lot of Downloads/subscribers, no matter how shitty the scenario is.

But there are some more factors. It's always a good decision to upload a campaign right before the Weekend, since a lot of People visit the Workshop on friday til sunday. That means a lot more subscribers in the first days which really helps the upload's popularity. In your case there is of course another factor: Since you jumped on the HD wagon quite early and since you have released a lot of Quality stuff on steam, you have a good standing, which of course helps a lot, too. There are definitly a lot of Filthydelphia fans on steam.
Al_Kharn the Great
Squire
posted 03-12-17 09:56 PM CT (US)     20 / 845       
Great Atiste:
You mentioned Tristan and Iseult and reminded me of something. I really want to play this campaign of yours but there is a bug or something and when it starts nothing happens
I mean I haven't waited for more than 2 min? Is it timed to start late? :/
Which version are you using? The one on AoK Heaven or Steam? The beginning of the scenario is a voice-over narration which does last about a minute and a half so my guess is the sound files are not firing (maybe they wound up in the wrong folder or the file structure of the HD version changed and I didn't notice). See if anything happens after 3 minutes although I would expect that the scenario wouldn't be working as intended even if you got past that portion.

I have watched some playthroughs of Tristan and The Last Neanderthal on youtube and been chagrined to see triggers and sounds not working anymore.

I need to revisit all my scenarios released in 2014 and 2015 to fix the bugs brought about by HD changes but I just don't have the time to do it right now.

Bassi:
This steam rankings don't really make sense to me, a month ago my "Hulagu Khan" was ranked most popular campaign of the last year, followed by 2 other Scenarios of mine. Those Rankings change weakly (although some scenarios are always on page one, a lot of yours for example, since they're subscribed consistently). But in the end the "year statistic" isn't that convincing.
Most Popular is purely off of unique visitor count. In the past year would be the most visitors in the past 365 days. I have no doubt that Hulagu Khan was the most popular of the past year because it has 3,847 Unique visitors and 994 current subscribers. The thing is, Ragnar's Raids is up to 6,772 unique visitors and 1,073 current subscribers

So it is working as intended. I just passed you, is all

Filthydelphia Creations
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 03-13-17 00:07 AM CT (US)     21 / 845       
I cant help but notice your single scenario ragnar raids is listed as a campaign instead of competing in the scenarios category , where both of you are losing to gems such as "Game of Thrones - New map 2017" and "Lord of the Rings - War of the Ring Tolkien Edition" and "Game Of Thrones ~ Winds Of Winter" and "Lord of the Rings 2.0 War of the Ring!" and "Lord of the Rings! Ludakris" none of which look particularly impressive to my eye.

I only played partly the first two missions of Khans of Destruction and i am pretty confident it would whomp any of those named files in quality, plus Ragnars Raids does look pretty interesting.

Al_Kharn the Great
Squire
posted 03-13-17 00:43 AM CT (US)     22 / 845       
On Steam, if you pack the scenario into a campaign file, it gets listed as a campaign so pretty much all single-player scenarios are called campaigns, while 'scenarios' implies multiplayer levels. I'm pretty sure almost all of the Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones scenarios are multiplayer.

Filthydelphia Creations
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 03-13-17 00:47 AM CT (US)     23 / 845       
My bad , i would have thought you could just select the tags yourself.

Bassi
Squire
posted 03-13-17 04:39 AM CT (US)     24 / 845       
@Al_Kharn: Thanks for explaining. I did not know it was only about the visitors. I thought it was about the subscribers and ratings and therefore those states did not make much sense to me. (Although I still think unique visitors don't say much about the popularity; the subscribers should be counted, but well).

@Cataphract: In general, Graphic (mostly stolen) mods and MP scenarios get much more attention than single Player Scenarios on steam.
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 03-13-17 09:12 PM CT (US)     25 / 845       
I can wholeheartedly recommend all of Al_Kharn and Bassi's Steam uploads (including their two contest entries that I am currently in the process of judging)! I only caution players to save often, particularly when playing some of the longer scenarios, as the HD Edition has a nasty tendency towards random crashes. Losing sizeable chunks of progress to crashes that have nothing whatsoever to do with the stability of the scenario files themselves is a frustrating feeling but by no means should it be held against the works of the designers.

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 03-13-17 09:43 PM CT (US)     26 / 845       
John Mendle's The Siege of Medieburg - 1297 was a blast to play today, its rather weak in technical aspects like triggers and map design, but its an interesting and tough challenge.

Zetnus
Squire
posted 03-14-17 05:52 AM CT (US)     27 / 845       
Views/ downloads /popularity are a lot more uneven on the Steam Workshop than on the Blacksmith.

Popularity is a measure of how many comments an item gets as well as how many likes and how many subscribers; and there is a decay over time. It's sort of like Facebook ... eww. Great items can easily go under the radar if they come from a previously unknown designer, while questionable items can do well because bugs or anything controversial encourages people to post comments, which increases the apparent popularity :/

If you want to do well on the Steam Workshop, a good cover image makes a huge difference. The main reason why many of my maps initially did well is because I use full map screenshots when most people use screenshots of the minimap.
Other than that, choosing a good release date can also make a difference. I usually just release things when they are ready, but if you release shortly before a weekend, holiday or Steam Sale, you are more likely to get more views.
Once you have built yourself a reputation and have followers, then everything you release will get more views because it gets featured to followers.

By comparison, the main factor that influences downloads in the Blacksmith is the presence of a review on your item and any places your item has been featured (ie. Blacksmith Feature) or is linked (ex. a contest thread).

Unrelated edit: Here is a map that has been downloaded far too many times for something that is basically unplayable.

......../\
......./ / / \ Check out my Blacksmith submissions as well as my stuff in the Steam Workshop.
....../ / /\\ \
...../ /_/_\\ \ Proud guardian of the Updated New RMS Guide <<<version 3 is out<<<
..../_____\\\ \
....\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ and the Random Map Scripting Links and FAQ thread.

[This message has been edited by Zetnus (edited 03-14-2017 @ 06:01 AM).]

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 03-14-17 12:12 PM CT (US)     28 / 845       
I started playing Tristan and Iseult today and I must say it's beautiful. Imho the map design is amazing, you can see every tiny part of the map was designed in details, while the storyline, especially if you already know a bit about Tristan and Iseult's story, is just enjoyable to play. I loved the joust part and the one with deer hunt and I can already say it's one of the best things I played (I played most of top ranked in the blacksmith). I can't wait to finish it
Al_Kharn the Great
Squire
posted 03-14-17 01:25 PM CT (US)     29 / 845       
Thanks, Great_Artiste! I appreciate all the positive words. Did you get the opening narration working or did you just continue through? Out of curiosity, did King Domnall tell the story of an old Irish hero prior to the joust for you? That sequence does not seem to trigger for some people since African Kingdoms came out and I am not sure why.

If you like that style of scenario, I would also check out Haiku of the Ronin Redux. There's two versions on the Blacksmith, but the Redux version is improved with an overhauled map and bugfixes. I'd love to hear what you think of that one, as well, since it's a similar style of scenario. Those two are from my AoK as a medium for poetry phase

Filthydelphia Creations
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 03-14-17 01:53 PM CT (US)     30 / 845       
@Al_Kharn the Great
Yeah the opening worked this time, while the part about Irish champion wasn't typed out. Only the tudum sound of a instruction/chat pop-up was heard.
About The Haiku of the Ronin: Already played Enjoyed it a lot. I have a thing for Japanese samurai culture and stuff It was on my bucket list ever since I found out about it (I bought FF and AK in January). I had some campaigns "marked" even before I bought expansions, including Tristan and Iseult.
Just a quick question: Who narrated it? Was it you?

Also: How to quote things here, you know the previous replies and then answering them and having them in "a square" in your reply?

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 03-14-2017 @ 01:56 PM).]

Bassi
Squire
posted 03-14-17 02:08 PM CT (US)     31 / 845       
I get blank messages, too, not only in Filthydelphia's creations, but also in a lot of other maps, that were originally released before African Kingdoms. No problems with maps that were created under the use of AK. I'm not sure, but could the blank messages appear, because there are special characters in it, which the game do not display correctly anymore?
Al_Kharn the Great
Squire
posted 03-14-17 02:15 PM CT (US)     32 / 845       
Great_Artiste:
As far as I can tell, you have to manually do it, as per the below, without the spaces:

[ quote=Great_Artiste]Copy and paste message here[/ quote]

Yes, I did narrate Tristan and Iseult and with a terrible fake accent

Bassi:
Yes, special characters broke a lot of scenarios post-African Kingdoms because there was a font change with the patch. I thought I corrected all of them. What sucks is that the text is permanently gone so I cannot simply replace the unique characters. I will have to go in and re-write the text. In the case of Tristan and Iseult, it must have been because of the name Cú Chulainn.

Filthydelphia Creations
Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-14-17 02:21 PM CT (US)     33 / 845       
Also: How to quote things here, you know the previous replies and then answering them and having them in "a square" in your reply?
There's a row of formatting buttons above the message box, and one of them (the second from the right) gives you the required quote tags. Also, look here and go down to the Quote section. It gives you more thorough instructions on how to use BB code.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 03-14-17 02:56 PM CT (US)     34 / 845       
There's a row of formatting buttons above the message box, and one of them (the second from the right) gives you the required quote tags.
I think I managed it :P thank you all
Yes, I did narrate Tristan and Iseult and with a terrible fake accent
I have to agree it sounded a bit odd, but it was nice to have voiced story

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 03-14-2017 @ 02:58 PM).]

Bassi
Squire
posted 03-14-17 02:56 PM CT (US)     35 / 845       
Yes, special characters broke a lot of scenarios post-African Kingdoms because there was a font change with the patch.
Was the classical "AoK-font" Lucida Blackletter ever used in HD? I bought HD in early 2016 an have no idea about anyhting that happened before '16 ...
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 25  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames