Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » 2019 Contests
Bottom
Topic Subject:2019 Contests
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 01-30-19 10:17 AM CT (US)         
Hey all,

2019 is upon us, and with it presumably some contests. I am thinking of doing things a bit differently this year, to try to get as many designers involved.

We used to aim for 3 contests a year, but only ran PTC in 2017, and DTS in 2018. This year I'd like to see two contests. PTC has been an odd years staple (hard to believe it's been two years since PTC2017), and it is by far our most entered and popular contest. It also has a habit of drawing some semi-retired designers back out of hibernation. In short, it's one of the two contests.

Based on popular suggestions last time I asked, the other options would be classic scenario contest, minigame, historical, or fantasy. I think a lot of players like playable, full scenarios (shock, horror), so if PTC is taking up one slot I'm inclined to Historical or Fantasy scenario contest as the other. I'd make the criteria as broad as possible (ie, historical means anything with a historical setting, including fiction, and fantasy means anything with a mythological aspect, including historical figures like Arthur, Robin Hood, etc), so there is a fair bit of overlap. Historical might appeal to slightly more people, while fantasy contests are often brought up but never run.

My idea for a different approach is to run both contests simultaneously for most of the year, allowing long design times. Designers could enter both or one, depending how fast they work.

The prize for PTC has always been supreme bragging rights, but I'd like to put together a real prize for the other contest.

Now's the chance for providing imput. As usual, your opinion means more if you plan to enter the contest you ask for.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
AuthorReplies:
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
(id: Great_Artiste)
posted 01-30-19 10:26 AM CT (US)     1 / 38       
If historical allows for alternate history within our relity then I am all for it.

Glad to see contests organized so early in the year and long design phase would allow for some very good entries

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 01-30-19 10:27 AM CT (US)     2 / 38       
My vote, by the way, would be for a fantasy scenario contest. It's new and fresh and I'd maybe sorta try to enter.

PTC I have probably a 30% chance of entering. I'd probably be interested in judging it though if I don't enter.

Fantasy contest maybe about the same. Anything else would be an extreme longshot.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
Possidon
Slayer
posted 01-30-19 10:51 AM CT (US)     3 / 38       
I"m well up for a PTC, still got an entry from 2013 that I'd like to use.

I've always been a strong supporter of the fantasy contest. So I'm up for that, but doubt I'd actually have time to submit an entry.

Minigame Contests are always good as they don't take so long to make, which means there are always a few more entries for that as well. We've also not had one since 2014.
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 01-31-19 07:33 AM CT (US)     4 / 38       
The idea of simultaneously running the two contests sounds awesome. I would judge a PTC and seriously contemplate entering any of fantasy, historical, or classic design contest. Reading heaps of Old English and Old Norse literature has a peculiar way of stoking one's appetite for fantasy material

I'd cast a ballot for fantasy as the second contest to run alongside PTC, for the reasons that it's a) simply different than what has been done in the recent past and b) that it's overall the least restrictive of the options, which makes it an excellent complement to the inherently restrictive PTC in terms of drawing interest from a wide array of designers to enter at least one of the contests.

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1
Julius999
Imposter
posted 02-01-19 04:33 PM CT (US)     5 / 38       
PTC has been an odd years staple
Bah, some of us entered PTC08.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 02-02-19 08:08 AM CT (US)     6 / 38       
I'd vote for Fantasy and PTC, as those are the ones I'd most likely enter. Might even salvage some parts from the entry I started on for the '06 Fantasy Competition that never got anywhere.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 02-02-2019 @ 08:09 AM).]

devagrawal09
Squire
posted 02-21-19 08:53 AM CT (US)     7 / 38       
I'd vote for Historical design contest. I'd be very likely participating in it too. I'd participate in PTC but I think PTC attracts the veterans the most and I'd just go unnoticed. But I am definitely participating in atleast one of the contests this year. I have been working on a fictional story that I might be able to use for the historical design.

|E)\/
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 02-21-19 09:11 AM CT (US)     8 / 38       
I have a very strange idea. My suggestion is "same scenario contest". This means judges will choose a new fictional topic or they will choose a new historical topic. Everybody will try to make the best version this new fictional or historical topic.

SO: Everybody will try to make the best version of judge's chosen scenario / topic.

Example: Judges will write a new story about Christopher Columbus. Everybody will try to implement this new story into their scenarios with best way.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 02-21-2019 @ 09:12 AM).]

rewaider
Squire
posted 02-21-19 09:42 AM CT (US)     9 / 38       
That's a pretty interesting idea actually

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 02-21-19 11:53 AM CT (US)     10 / 38       
That works well for a screenshot of the week type contest, but I can't imagine many people putting months into a scenario about a topic they were given.

Julius999
Imposter
posted 02-21-19 06:53 PM CT (US)     11 / 38       
Might even salvage some parts from the entry I started on for the '06 Fantasy Competition that never got anywhere.
Maybe we could have a Revive A Decade-Old Project Contest? No redoing any map design.

Mashek would obviously win, but only if allowed a further decade to complete his entry.
Example: Judges will write a new story about Christopher Columbus. Everybody will try to implement this new story into their scenarios with best way.
It would be remiss of me not to draw attention to an actual Christopher Columbus scenario, by crasher: http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=872.

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 02-21-2019 @ 06:54 PM).]

Mash
Huskarl
(id: Mashek)
posted 03-03-19 01:01 AM CT (US)     12 / 38       
Maybe we could have a Revive A Decade-Old Project Contest? No redoing any map design.

Mashek would obviously win, but only if allowed a further decade to complete his entry.
Well, can't say I would never have tried.

The fantasy contest has been floating around for a number of years now but we've never gone forward with it. Perhaps this would be a good time to do so? My instinct however is that a historical scenario or classic design contest is easier in terms of coming up with an idea, while the latter allows for the contestant to choose between either.
Possidon
Slayer
posted 03-09-19 04:35 AM CT (US)     13 / 38       
Pitt_Man
Squire
(id: Dark_Reign)
posted 03-09-19 06:02 PM CT (US)     14 / 38       
Nothing stopping you from just making one!

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
Possidon
Slayer
posted 03-10-19 11:47 AM CT (US)     15 / 38       
Andanu Trisatya
Squire
posted 03-11-19 07:27 PM CT (US)     16 / 38       
Brilliant idea.

████████
████████
/\NDANU TRISATY/\
The Least Skilled Member of StormWind Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
MrMew
Huskarl
posted 03-12-19 00:39 AM CT (US)     17 / 38       
Do you automatically win if you don't have a decade old project to revive?

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
Pitt_Man
Squire
(id: Dark_Reign)
posted 03-13-19 03:08 AM CT (US)     18 / 38       
I've got one ready, just want to submit it as a contest entry
I meant making a contest.

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 05-30-19 10:52 AM CT (US)     19 / 38       
Brought up in another thread, can we try and see how many people are willing to participate in a contest?

I'd like to see a Pretty Map Contest to be honest, I think it would be fun not to limit it to PTC if we go this route again.

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 05-30-19 12:51 PM CT (US)     20 / 38       
I am going to put some contests up soon, then it will be up to you guys to enter.

Julius999
Imposter
posted 05-30-19 05:06 PM CT (US)     21 / 38       
I'd like to see a Pretty Map Contest to be honest, I think it would be fun not to limit it to PTC if we go this route again.
We had a one-off contest called the Totally Terrain Contest, years ago, that was basically this. I don't recall who won...

However, unless you actually ban or limit buildings, anyone who voluntarily doesn't include a settlement in their entry is giving themselves a huge handicap. Wilderness scenery in AoK tends to become samey when it's on a large scale.

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 05-30-19 05:52 PM CT (US)     22 / 38       
I don't recall who won...

HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-31-19 01:48 AM CT (US)     23 / 38       
I don't like or prefer PTCs personally. But except PTCs I can prefer or like most of other contest types like: Fantasy, Historical, Mini game, Classic, DtS, Fictional, Telling a story, Comedy, Drama, AoK Vanilla Contest ( 20th anniversary ) etc...
I don't prefer PTCs because it only occurs from map design. Only map design... I want to use my other elements in the contests.

If PTC contest will be announced I think that I will make the Hell City of Doom Universe.
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 05-31-19 10:41 AM CT (US)     24 / 38       
However, unless you actually ban or limit buildings, anyone who voluntarily doesn't include a settlement in their entry is giving themselves a huge handicap. Wilderness scenery in AoK tends to become samey when it's on a large scale.
I just wanted to have an option one can make the city a lesser part of the map.

Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 05-31-19 03:13 PM CT (US)     25 / 38       
To be honest, the rules of PTC are pretty often followed in the loosest of terms. There have been plenty of entries which barely qualified as a town. I'm pretty sure you can get away with like a third of the map being 'town', maybe less.

panel
Squire
posted 06-01-19 00:50 AM CT (US)     26 / 38       
I'm thinking about coming out of retirement for a PTC this year.

Also, I'd go for a fantasy contest as the second one. There's an interesting element to HELLKNIGHT's proposal, sometimes placing restrictions boosts creativity and helps people come up with interesting ideas (like the halloweeen contest which was also obviously a fantasy contest but of a very specific variety). Maybe having a theme, even if it's a broad one, would be a good thing.
MrMew
Huskarl
posted 06-01-19 09:27 PM CT (US)     27 / 38       
Are you ever truly "retired"?

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 06-02-19 07:58 AM CT (US)     28 / 38       
Welcome to the Hotel California

Gastropod
Squire
(id: Tyretian)
posted 06-04-19 06:15 PM CT (US)     29 / 38       
I guess I could have a go entering a contest... I haven't entered one before and haven't really done any proper scenario design. But it sounds like a bit of fun!
rewaider
Squire
posted 06-04-19 07:13 PM CT (US)     30 / 38       
Perhaps we could do a "minimalism" contest... To create a map with a max amount of like 100 triggers or so (or something even more extreme, like 50 triggers only).
I think that it'd draw in a lot more contestants given it's accessibility (including much likely me ).

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 06-04-2019 @ 07:14 PM).]

HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 06-05-19 02:09 AM CT (US)     31 / 38       
I want to make a scenario that is about Doom universe. So trigger number limit will prevent my purposes. I have a new contest idea. We can make the "best Doom universe topic scenario" contest by using Vampire Revenge mod's resources?..

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 06-05-2019 @ 02:10 AM).]

Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 06-05-19 01:24 PM CT (US)     32 / 38       
Perhaps we could do a "minimalism" contest... To create a map with a max amount of like 100 triggers or so (or something even more extreme, like 50 triggers only).
I think that it'd draw in a lot more contestants given it's accessibility (including much likely me ).
Lol, search Classic Scenario Contest, it was basically what you describe.

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 07-03-19 08:24 AM CT (US)     33 / 38       
I'd like to see a multiplayer, user-patch oriented competition to really push people to creative trigger work over the age old "make something look nice" contest.

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 07-03-19 09:34 PM CT (US)     34 / 38       
We really haven't had a multiplayer scenario contest. Maybe to celebrate DE release we should do something on those lines.

The problem is judging an 8 player map

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 07-03-19 10:02 PM CT (US)     35 / 38       
8 player maps are overrated anyway :P

But I agree with you, Judging would be difficult for those high player number maps. You'd need to all play together and organise the timing, or something like that.

Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 07-04-19 06:24 AM CT (US)     36 / 38       
A DE contest would be a good idea regardless of theme, to coincide with the release of the game.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 07-04-19 08:58 AM CT (US)     37 / 38       
Tanks, the difficulty with multiplayer maps is getting sufficient numbers of players to judge appropriately. If you have three judges, you've got to limit it at 3 players. And each has to play 3 times to experience the whole map.

It's just like reviewing multiplayer scenarios. People don't do it because the barrier to entry is much higher than with single player.

And believe me, judging this fantasy contest is going to take enough time as it is even if we only get one entry

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 07-04-2019 @ 08:59 AM).]

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 07-04-19 10:32 AM CT (US)     38 / 38       
Yeah, I see your point. Especially if the players are all unique and not just doing the same as everyone else

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames