You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » How to keep map revealing cheaters from winning a scenario.
Bottom
Topic Subject:How to keep map revealing cheaters from winning a scenario.
ROR_Sir_William
Squire
posted 06-17-00 11:40 AM CT (US)         
It's in the title. Anyway, have a house in some area of the map where no unit will ever see it. Have the "winning" trigger change the view to the house and activate these 2 triggers. If the house is not visible declare victory for the player, if it is, declare victory for a computer player.

Trigger 1: Loop off
C: Destroy object: King
E: Activate Trigger: Trigger 2
E: Activate Trigger: Trigger 3
E: Change View: To the house

Trigger 2: Loop off: SS off
C: Object Visible: House
E: Declare Victory: Player 2

Trigger 3: Loop off: SS off
C: Object Not Visible: House
E: Declare Victory: Player 1

This will irritate many players, and you may possibly get a nasty email typed in bold red font. Then again, you could always rply asking them why they were cheating at your scenario.

AuthorReplies:
JG
Squire
posted 06-17-00 11:47 AM CT (US)     1 / 11       
nice idea. I'd like to be able to prevent all cheats ; instant build, food, gold, sports cars, etc.

There should be a way to detect what is typed in the chat box, Oh well.. yet another for my "wish list"

------------------
Life's a *****, then you die !
e-mail: aok@jgraham.co.uk

[This message has been edited by JG (edited 06-17-2000).]

gh5j456j4
Squire
posted 06-17-00 11:49 AM CT (US)     2 / 11       
It's not full proof(I konw you didn't say it was, but...)

Players can play a scenario through the editor by testing it. They can see the whole map and even add more units and buildings to their advantage.

JG
Squire
posted 06-17-00 11:56 AM CT (US)     3 / 11       
it's not even "fool" proof

------------------
Life's a bitch, then you die !
e-mail: aok@jgraham.co.uk

ROR_Sir_William
Squire
posted 06-17-00 11:58 AM CT (US)     4 / 11       
Then put it into a campaign like Ingo van Thiel does. That way they cant edit it, and besides that, the title to this thread is, "How to keep map revealing cheaters from winning a scenario," not "How to keep all cheaters from winning." So my idea is fool proof.
gh5j456j4
Squire
posted 06-17-00 12:25 PM CT (US)     5 / 11       
AAAHHHH, there's something in my eye, but...

There's this program, you might of heard of, called "Cpnbuild". It was originally created for AoE but it also works with AoK. It lets you create your own campaigns from any scenarios and extract scenarios from campaigns.

DOH!(Homer Says), There goes the 'full' and 'fool' proofs.

ROR_Sir_William
Squire
posted 06-17-00 12:33 PM CT (US)     6 / 11       
never heard of it. sounds cool though
the great Alexander
Squire
posted 06-17-00 12:52 PM CT (US)     7 / 11       
I think it was originally written for dos, but already during the time of AoE a windows version was programed.It is in the blacksmith, quite easy to find with the search feature.
Ok, to your fool proving: what hinders the player saving before he fullifies the last victory condition, going back and then using the "i r winner" cheat ? If the use the marco and polo cheat the will probably also not hesitate to use this one, especially after they played the scenario to end.
Even if they didn't save it doesn't really make any difference as they still know that they played the scenario to end (although not the way it was supposed to be played).

However Es decides, there will always be someone who complains.If they make cheats mightier than triggers some designers will complain as they are not able to prevent cheating in their scenarios.If they make triggers mightier it will be only a question of time until almost all better scenario designers include a full-functional cheat protection in their scenarios, and then some players will complain as the scenarios are to difficult for them and they want to make it easier.
I think you should just accept cheaters with the knowing that they are just spoiling their fun with it.

I'm sorry about my bad English.

Hibibiskaba
Squire
posted 06-17-00 01:07 PM CT (US)     8 / 11       
What I did a couple minutes ago in the third Joan of Arc scenerio was I saved my game the did the marco polo cheat. Then I looked around abit to see what a good place to build my town was. Then after a while I loaded my saved game that didn't have the marco polo cheat. So the guy could still win with the map revealing cheat.
Lord_Robster
Squire
posted 06-17-00 02:16 PM CT (US)     9 / 11       
I don't really mind if people use marco/polo on my scenarios. You still have to go through all the steps/buildups/follow directions to win the game. What does bother me is I sometimes use "Object visible" conditions in my triggers and if they use the "polo" cheat and look around, it can screw up the trigger sequence. I suppose I should put a disclaimer in the instructions that tells them that if they use the 'polo' cheat, they could possibly mess up their game. If you want to look at the map then go into the scenario editor and look all you like. I'm not trying to hide anything! And my scenarios aren't designed to be THAT hard! Just fun.
Queen Honeymuffin II
Squire
(id: Kman)
posted 06-17-00 02:59 PM CT (US)     10 / 11       
I usually write swear words in dirt in areas the player would not be able to get to normaly, so when the map is revealed it says something like "F*** you cheater!!!"
ROR_Sir_William
Squire
posted 06-18-00 02:28 AM CT (US)     11 / 11       
Kman, that is a very interesting approach.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames