You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Dialogue conundrum
Bottom
Topic Subject:Dialogue conundrum
Zanzard Lothar
Squire
posted 06-17-00 04:55 PM CT (US)         
How many seconds should a display inrunctions trigger show a line of a dialogue? I'm using for now 30 seconds. What do you think?
AuthorReplies:
Rodrigo
Squire
posted 06-17-00 05:42 PM CT (US)     1 / 6       
You should check one of the articles by TDS at
scnpunk.com go to scenario design, and you'll find the article.

------------------
Rodrigo, Head of the AoK Dragon Team.
scnpunk.com/aokdragon

Filthydelphia
Squire
(id: Al_Kharn the Great)
posted 06-17-00 07:31 PM CT (US)     2 / 6       
You shouldn't make them too long, especially if there's a conversation between two characters... The typical line that can fit in the dialogue box is about three sentences. Reading that is done in 10 seconds... That leaves 20 seconds for the player to just sit around (bear in the mind, the player probably doesn't realize that a conversation is going on and is probably moving units only to find, twenty seconds later, that he is being talked to by a distant comp unit ).... Not too good... I usually have messages last up for 7-10 secs, but Talon thinks i should increase that to like 15-20... which i probably will...
Talon Karrde
Squire
posted 06-17-00 09:13 PM CT (US)     3 / 6       
Yeah, I just can't seem to read all of the text. (Somehow)
Filthydelphia
Squire
(id: Al_Kharn the Great)
posted 06-17-00 09:55 PM CT (US)     4 / 6       
Talon:

Well i guess i dont have any problem because i know what the characters say anyway so i can zip right through it... but ok... i'll probably add 4-6 more secs to each message... heh... that's over a hundred messages just about, eh?

Zanzard Lothar
Squire
posted 06-17-00 10:35 PM CT (US)     5 / 6       
Thanks for the insight guys! I'll make it 15 secs then.

As a reward i shall grant thee my own knowledge about dialogues. I always put in the timer field above the text of the intrunctions im making the number 0. This allows for the message to always appear. This way, the player can pause the game and read the message all the time he wants. To remove the message, just use a clear intrunctions effect (one of the simplest effects ever) or make another messsage appear.

The Khan
Squire
posted 06-18-00 08:50 AM CT (US)     6 / 6       
Wait till Moses - From Prince to Renegade comes out. Then check out it's dialog system. It's cool. I bet it will become a new standard.

------------------
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" (I came, I saw, I conquered.) -Julius Caeser
E-mail: majm101@yahoo.com
Proud member of the AOK>>>1 team

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames