You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » How many of you uses sound and music in your scenarion or campaigns?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How many of you uses sound and music in your scenarion or campaigns?
Guderian
Squire
posted 10-18-00 04:52 PM CT (US)         
I have personally always thought that music was one of the key elements to creating a certain mood in a scenario, but I wonder about how many actually incorporates real music pieces and bits into their work for a specific effect fx. during "Display instructions" or otherwise during a game?

I found that it raises the gameplay several levels if good music is employed during several stages of a game.

So why does so few scenarios and campaigns have these features? is it because of people not having the tools to implement this or is it because people simply does'nt find it important enough? or is it because of a lack of suitable sound?

I do not mean to mock anyone by this but simply find out why sound is used so seldom.

AuthorReplies:
Guderian
Squire
posted 10-18-00 11:10 PM CT (US)     1 / 7       
thurdl01
Squire
posted 10-18-00 11:28 PM CT (US)     2 / 7       
I find that specific sounds can be tough, as they either have to be found or recorded, and from my own experience I find recording my sounds that I always get a hiss in the back of the dialogue that isn't quite drowned out by the standard background music.

Also, unlss you're using pre-exisiting sounds, like the wolf howl, you have to request the user to download them, which is usually a much larger file. For this reason alot of sound packs are optional downloads, but it does still add that bit of an extra server cost to the user.

Just my two cents on the topic, though.

- .... ..- .-. -.. .-.. ----- .----
.... --. / -.-. .... . .-. ..- -...
.. ..-. / - .... . / --. . .-. -... .. .-.. / . ... -.-. .- .--. . ... --..-- / .-- . / .- .-. . / .- .-.. .-.. / -.. --- --- -- . -..
Guderian
Squire
posted 10-19-00 05:21 AM CT (US)     3 / 7       
thurdl01

You make a valid point, what you say makes sence, but I have to say that in my oppinion the extra downloadtime is usually worth the effort, because a well planned scenario or campaign with custom music gives you the power to control the players emotions during the game, and in most cases the player will start download larger files in the hope of having a similar experience in another game.

Jeru
Squire
(id: Jerusalem)
posted 10-19-00 07:09 AM CT (US)     4 / 7       
quote:
How many of you uses sound and music in your scenarion or campaigns? -- Guderian

I haven't yet, but my team's upcoming campaign will feature some music scores.

Raq miláh be'ivrít ħodéret el orqái, el nišmatí - Only a word in Hebrew penetrates into my veins, into my soul
I swear, Hebrew is one of the coolest and funniest languages I've ever heard. It's great, and some of the swears are fun. - Talon Karrde
Cam51
Squire
posted 10-20-00 10:51 PM CT (US)     5 / 7       
<I have personally always thought that music was one of the key elements to creating a certain mood in a scenario>

Please, download my campaign in the blacksmith.

titled: "With Avengence"

About 5 scenarios in, you will have a major example of music setting the tone of the scenario. I guarantee it!

ps: email me if you would like me to send it to you.

ps2: also, tell me what you think about the cmpgn.

peace

#51 Racing Team
< http://www.i80speedway.com >
then: Pro-Am standings
then: look for #51
*reminder: only 18 y.old

[This message has been edited by Cam51 (edited 10-20-2000).]

Filthydelphia
Squire
(id: Al_Kharn the Great)
posted 10-20-00 11:18 PM CT (US)     6 / 7       
See I'm not like the punks or other designers... i want my campaigns to be easily accesible to anyone, so i tend to not want sounds.

However, I believe the main issue is that 1) good sounds are difficult to come by... and custom sounds usually dont record too well and 2) it's difficult to have the proper sound for the proper mood... with music, in fact, it's even worse, for fast-paced music might be playing while the player is just strolling about, while slow and tranquil music is playing in the heat of battle

But, Guderian, if i might say... excellent job with those compilations of sound files Except, the first sound collection can't be downloaded... the file isnt found for some reason.

thanks

Guderian
Squire
posted 10-21-00 11:58 AM CT (US)     7 / 7       
Al_Kharn the Great

Thanks for telling me about this, I'll upload it again when I'll have time , and I'll post it here when I have done it.
But you know - it migth take a few days for the new upload to be active

Cam51

I have downloaded your campaign now, and I look forward to playing it, and I,ll write you and tell you what I thaught of it.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames