You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » A Short Study into Favorite Things People Download
Bottom
Topic Subject:A Short Study into Favorite Things People Download
Tonto_johnlee
Squire
posted 01-12-01 09:34 PM CT (US)         
No matter how bad they were rated, all Robin Hood Campaigns/Scenarios were downloaded by at least 2000 people. Gregory Koteles' 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' rated 5.0 on the blacksmith got 9000 downloads as you can see. Most other 5.0 scenarios obtained 5000-6000 downloads. The rest of the scenarios in the Best of AoK got anything between a few hundred downloads to 2000 downloads.

I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!

-- General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord
AuthorReplies:
Guderian
Squire
posted 01-12-01 10:48 PM CT (US)     1 / 24       
So in other words - If we want as many downloads as possible from our work, we better include robin hood in the title.

gotta remember that one

I'm Danish - so sue me!

My bloody signature

Tonto_johnlee
Squire
posted 01-13-01 02:01 AM CT (US)     2 / 24       
Bingo.

I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!

Cerwin_Vega
Squire
posted 01-13-01 07:45 AM CT (US)     3 / 24       
How about if we include The Sheriff of Nottingham??

•€•—•€•—•€•———Ηιrwρ Vιgε———•€•—•€•—•€•
•€•—•€•—•€•————Nψdεmρ §tudψ————•€•—•€•—•€•
•€•—•€•—•€•——Εrηhκrs Θl‘tκ €FINAL€ (4.6 - Best of)——•€•—•€•—•€•
•€•—•€•—•€•——RON: Level Designer——•€•—•€•—•€•
•€•—•€•—•€•—MyUnreal Forum - Moderator—•€•—•€•—•€•
Cheesius Maximus
Squire
posted 01-13-01 07:53 AM CT (US)     4 / 24       
my map, in its two days or so of blacksmith life...let me see...80 downloads.
So is that good progress?
Talon Karrde
Squire
posted 01-13-01 08:05 AM CT (US)     5 / 24       
mines been in for a week or so...maybe 2
400-500 dowloads when I checked yesterday
Is that good?

Bah.
martinhus
Squire
posted 01-13-01 09:34 AM CT (US)     6 / 24       
yeah, both are good numbers....but if you'd really like to see something weird, check out my "ferryboat 1.0" in the market...8k of an example on how to create a working ferry, almost 300 downloads...strange, isn't it?
WoodChuck
Squire
posted 01-13-01 09:54 AM CT (US)     7 / 24       
Wrath of Rob got 1000+ downloads in the first 1 1/2 weeks. Ho hum.
Tonto_johnlee
Squire
posted 01-13-01 08:18 PM CT (US)     8 / 24       
People musta' thought Rob referred to Robin Hood. Either that or the name Rob - Robin can hypnotise people.

Enrique Orduno
Banned
posted 01-13-01 08:30 PM CT (US)     9 / 24       
Rob, I never knew Wrath of Rob got so much dl.

Btw, johnlee Woodchuck is Robthebrave.

millen
Squire
posted 01-13-01 11:52 PM CT (US)     10 / 24       
The very first thing I uploaded to the Blacksmith was a little waterfall, it was only 2k and has had 1415 d/l since I put it up. strange considering how bad it was, but I thought it was cool at the time, he he!

"The best armor is to stay out of range"
Current project: Star Wars: Episode Woad
Third-In-Command and Graphic designer forWoad Creations
Cherub Loco
Squire
posted 01-14-01 08:50 AM CT (US)     11 / 24       
Many of those downloads come from people who are extreme newbies- people who never even normally come to AoKH. They probably play AoK once every two weeks, so they only usually download campaigns that are about something they know, like Robin Hood.

Just my thoughts.

---Insert Loco's new sig here---

WoodChuck
Squire
posted 01-14-01 09:50 AM CT (US)     12 / 24       
EO: How did you know?
*kills EO*
*kills Johnlee*
No-one else had better know.
*Brandishes a knife at millen and loco*

WoR had gotten something like 2000-3000 downloads more since. It was rated at 4.8 soon after. Man was I proud .

We interupt this sig to apoligise for this interuption.
Designer of Commisar.com.
Proud Member of SCNPUNK.
Drop me a line @ woodchuck@commisar.com.
How much wood could a WoodChuck Chuck if a WoodChuck Could Chuck wood?
Byz
Squire
(id: Byzantine_Warrior)
posted 01-14-01 12:59 PM CT (US)     13 / 24       
*Takes out sword*
*Points it WoodChuck*
*Elite Cataphacts surround him*
Drop it!

Byz
Tsunami Studios
"People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
Cherub Loco
Squire
posted 01-14-01 02:20 PM CT (US)     14 / 24       
*Loco sends in his famous Elite Eagle Warriors and destroys Byz's worthless Cats and then destroys his even more worthless Byzantine town*

Muhahaha!!

---Insert Loco's new sig here---

Park
Squire
(id: Angel Park)
posted 01-14-01 09:53 PM CT (US)     15 / 24       
Not sure what it was called but the author was Vertigo.
It is at least top 5 most downloaded scenarios, and it isn't a 5.0
Vladimir Putkin
Squire
posted 01-14-01 09:59 PM CT (US)     16 / 24       
y r u orange?

o o o][OsakaCastle.20m.com][My Nihongo Haven for AOC][
o o o o
o o oo

|||_..._._..
Enrique Orduno
Banned
posted 01-14-01 10:00 PM CT (US)     17 / 24       
He is the seraph(webmaster) of EEH. Seraphs are orange.
The Conquistador
Squire
posted 01-15-01 00:35 AM CT (US)     18 / 24       
I think you are talking about his "King Arthur vs. William Wallace" campaign, Park. It is the fourth campaign to ever get submitted to AOKH, which makes this guy one of the oldest AOK designers around. It only got a 3.0 (by Jerusalem) but it was rated almost ten months it was submitted, which should add an extra mark or two since ten months is a lot of time for discovery of new tricks and learn more skills. It got almost 7000 d/l, which is more than TKBM, Tamerlane:POD, Robin Hood, or any other 5.0 scenario that you can name.

http://www.scnnetwork.com/corners/stan

Nobody forced you to read that site, remember

Ingo van Thiel
Squire
posted 01-15-01 02:18 AM CT (US)     19 / 24       
Hmmmm... would you like to check the Best of the Blacksmith to verify that, Stan? Robin Hood just overstepped the 10,000 mark.

But you made a good point: A scenario should be rated according to the time it was posted, and how creative and good it was back then. Just imagine what might happen to classics such as Magnus' "Emissary" scenario. Back then, it was one of the most influental scenarios and brought us several sensational novelties: The click-talk-trick, and villagers who don't move... The inventions of the "Emissary" were so good that they were copied in other scenarios, up and down the blacksmith, and became a standard for virtually all RPGs.

Now, with the present re-reviewing mania, I see the risk that someone will go and give this one a low re-review, saying "4.8 is too high... there is no creativity in this scenario. Idle villagers and the click-talk-trick are nothing special, I've seen 'em in a thousand other RPGs..."

Ingo

Angel SpineMan
HG Halo Alumnus
posted 01-15-01 02:27 AM CT (US)     20 / 24       
Btw... if you guys are curious as to which files have the most downloads, you can click on the #Dn column heading and it will sort the files by # of downloads...

Campaigns are the most popular, followed by single player scens, followed by multiplayer scens...

Of course, there are 4 utlities that top the 10,000 mark while only 1 campaign has received that honor.

The official AI patch from ES clocks in at over 23,500 downloads.

Talon Karrde
Squire
posted 01-15-01 07:05 AM CT (US)     21 / 24       
lol
The Quest has over 9000 downloads

Bah.
The Downward Spiral
Squire
posted 01-15-01 09:11 AM CT (US)     22 / 24       
Ingo, I agree. I replayed the Emissary (which was initially the first AOK scenario I've ever played) and it kinda... well... wasn't as good as it was the first time I played it. The first time I played it I went into shock 'cause it was so awesome. So yeah, scenarios should be rated as to how good they were when they were released. Sorry if it seems like I'm contradicting myself, because I'm not sure if I went against this statement earlier in the thread.

Talon, I happened to notice this. Campaigns that have a large amount of scenarios usually score a huge amount of downloads. You don't really notice this in the Best of AOK, but I find it a lot when browsing through the Campaign section of the Blacksmith. But maybe thats just me.

Talon Karrde
Squire
posted 01-15-01 09:38 AM CT (US)     23 / 24       
Then that 76 scn campaign your 1-time smurf will make will be popular hmmm?

Bah.
The Downward Spiral
Squire
posted 01-15-01 12:18 PM CT (US)     24 / 24       
LOL. Well didn't that CPN get a lot of downloads, though? And good comments?!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames