You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

News Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.59 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » News Discussion » Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms and Patch 4.4 - Available Now!!!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms and Patch 4.4 - Available Now!!!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 11-05-15 01:50 PM CT (US)         

Welcome to Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms; the second new official expansion for the Age of Empires II universe in over 16 years. Challenge friends with four additional civilizations, new units, ships and technologies. Fight your way through the African continent with four campaigns and obliterate your opponents with a fresh batch of units under your command!

4 New Civilizations

- Berbers - Unite the tribes of Northern Africa and set sail for Europe. Can you hold your ground against the scrambled kingdoms of Iberia?

- Malians - Follow in the footsteps of the great Mansa Musa and become the greatest king of Western Africa.

- Ethiopians - Relive the glory of the once mighty Aksumite empire and rule over the Red Sea.

- Portuguese - Set sail for the new world, discover new routes to unknown lands and expand your trade routes to the mighty African empires.

4 New Campaigns

- Tariq ibn Ziyad: In the early 8th century, Tariq ibn Ziyad prepares to lead an army of Berbers and Arabs across the sea to Iberia, enthralling his troops with promises of wealth and glory. Will their might be enough to defeat the fearsome infantry of the Visigoths and bring the banners of war to the powerful Merovingian kingdom lying beyond the Pyrenees? Their success-or failure-lies in your hands.

- Sundjata: The once great Ghana empire has fallen and West Africa is in turmoil. Sumanguru, King of the Sosso, is poised to forge a new empire. Said to possess a magical instrument that guarantees victory, he has led his Sosso warriors to conquer old Ghana and a small Mandinkan kingdom called Mali. Can Sundjata, the crippled prince of Mali, defy the odds, defeat Sumanguru, and become the most powerful ruler of West Africa?

- Francisco de Almeida: On the fringes of Europe, the Portuguese manage a meager and unsure existence, hardened by centuries of war against the Moors and rival Christian kingdoms. Now, daring explorers have returned from India and given Portugal hope of glories and wealth unachievable in the Old World. Can you lead a Portuguese armada to the East and forge an empire that spans three continents and two oceans? A new world awaits!

- Yodit: The beautiful princess Yodit has a promising future at the Aksumite court. But when her jealous nephew accuses her of theft, Yodit is forced to flee her home country. Witness how exile shaped this fallen princess into a mighty queen. For centuries the story of Yodit's vengeance would invoke fear in the hearts of all Ethiopians.

Features

- 4 new civilizations
- 4 new campaigns
- Improved AI
- 10 new Special Maps
- 8 new Real World Maps
- 5 new Random Maps
- 10 new terrains
- Sudden Death mode
- New generic units & technologies
- Countless balance adjustments
- Many new scenario editor objects

Additionally, AoE2HD Patch 4.4 has been released today. View the patchnotes here.

As a limited time offer (ending November 9), AoE2HD and The Forgotten are on sale at an 80% discount, while The African Kingdoms is on sale at a 20% discount, so if you like sales, make haste!

As always, feel free to share your thoughts and discuss below. On a side note, now that the game has been released, I can be a lot more forthcoming with answers to your questions. Feel free to fire away with your questions (I reserve the right to use discretion with which questions I can answer ) and I'll be glad to answer as best I can! I'm sure other folks on the team will be watching and answering as well

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 11-07-2015 @ 09:47 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 11-05-15 02:21 PM CT (US)     1 / 59       
Additionally, here's a balance changelog for those who are interested. Keep in mind that this may be subject to changes/additions going forward!

Hades85
Squire
posted 11-05-15 04:39 PM CT (US)     2 / 59       
The indian-set(mod) isnt working with the newest version. All civs from near-east become to indians except indians themselves.

And weired errors comes with basic+africa edition without forgotten.
Game pause doesnt worked in single player. Multiple clicks on a unit generate an error.
Cysion
VIP Forgotten Empires
posted 11-05-15 04:45 PM CT (US)     3 / 59       
You probably are using the Indian mod that changes all ME buildings, the official mod can be found here, it will only change the Indian set

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=522335915&searchtext=
scripter64
Wolved
posted 11-05-15 05:50 PM CT (US)     4 / 59       
Congratulations on the release!
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 11-05-15 07:29 PM CT (US)     5 / 59       
Thanks Scripter! Means a lot

El Daddy
Squire
posted 11-05-15 08:03 PM CT (US)     6 / 59       
Love the new King models, wasn't expecting them at all.

I also see that the sails for the Mediterranean and Eastern European civs have also been updated, nice touch.

The African buildset is just simply outstanding.
GuardianReborn
Squire
posted 11-06-15 01:11 AM CT (US)     7 / 59       
The new units and civs stack up wonderfully. I'm curious, in regards to no longer being able to scroll while the game is paused, is this an intended feature change?
Knaber
Squire
posted 11-06-15 11:15 AM CT (US)     8 / 59       
Some features that should probably be fixed:

• You cant use pause (F3) for microing(in singleplayer) (no interaction when paused) FIXED

• Going into scenario editor requires a while of loading

• Going into Loading/Saving screen requires LOADING...

• Multiplayer games now take longer to start/load, often a player drops

• Sounds are messed up somehow, delay between two sounds of the same typ

To be continued...

[This message has been edited by Knaber (edited 11-07-2015 @ 01:52 AM).]

• gag2000
    Squire
    posted 11-06-15 12:24 PM CT (US)     9 / 59       
    "Validating Subscriptions" message also dont close automatically anymore, i always have to do a "click" with the mouse, but the timer on the top right side stops, before the newest patch the windows was closed immediately.
    Knaber
    Squire
    posted 11-06-15 12:31 PM CT (US)     10 / 59       
    Also the new symbols in the lobby browser (1/3 stars) make it alot harder to see what lobby is what!
    gag2000
    Squire
    posted 11-06-15 12:58 PM CT (US)     11 / 59       
    correct, the helmet option before was fitting better, but im sure you can manually change the icons here:
    Age2HD\resources\_common\textures\ui

you can do it even looks better, the image dont need to be 16x16 i did it 16x32 look yourself: https://i.imgur.com/w8iKZEi.jpg

and heres a better one: https://i.imgur.com/JfTzFx6.jpg

[This message has been edited by gag2000 (edited 11-06-2015 @ 01:09 PM).]

Gap_V
    Squire
    posted 11-06-15 01:38 PM CT (US)     12 / 59       
    I welcome new expansion. Can you add the possibility to convert scenarios into upper version. I understand that "downgrade" can cause problem, but upgrade (from forgotten to africa)? It would very useful, thanks.
    Hunyadi
    Squire
    posted 11-06-15 02:22 PM CT (US)     13 / 59       
    Got the expansion last night. Played with the Portuguese for a bit and noticed right away that the villager vocalizations (especially the females) need to be corrected. Certain phrases are way too quiet. Also they don't always vocalize when clicked on .
    gag2000
    Squire
    posted 11-06-15 02:38 PM CT (US)     14 / 59       
    they don't always vocalize when clicked on

thats since patch 4.3 iirc, same happends with buildings and other units.
    Knaber
    Squire
    posted 11-06-15 03:05 PM CT (US)     15 / 59       
    Thats exactly what i meant with the last dot on my post ^
    If a sound has been played it wont be played again ultil like 2-3 seconds later.

Also, thanks alot for the tip (Icons), will defenently do that

[This message has been edited by Knaber (edited 11-06-2015 @ 03:06 PM).]

ChaosLynx
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 04:38 AM CT (US)     16 / 59       
    The expansion looks great, a lot of improvements since The Forgotten.

-The Campaigns look more AoC styled. I like that.

-The New Voice Acting is great, I was impressed by the quality.

-Vast improvements on the AK and TF Unit Graphics to make them blend more with the ES units.

-The New Cliffs look amazing!

-Lots and lots of good-looking new eye-candy and other stuff to the scenario editor.

-Nice job with the new civs. I liked all of them.

-------

-I don't like the new graphics for the Condottiero, i think the older ones were better.

-Loading Screens take a rather long amount of time to load (compared to the other expansions)

-the new waterfalls look kinda weird, and that pixelated and repetitive graphic hurts my eyes.

-You didn't fix the Boyar's idle animation

-------

Overall, the African Kingdoms expansion is great. After all the hype, It stood up to my expectations, and they weren't low! I haven't played all the campaigns yet but I'm enjoying it so far
    Now, just do some polishing here and there and you can make this expansion really complete!

- Aʀᴛ ѳғ Wᴀʀ -
    todler
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 06:10 AM CT (US)     17 / 59       
    Boyar will be re-rendered for a later patch.
    aoe_scout
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 07:18 AM CT (US)     18 / 59       
    Talking about units that need to be fixed - please fix the Gaia Elaphants, they are too small (more like newborn baby elephants) and have poor animations. The Lion and Crocodile also need some improvements (size, posture, animation). Also - Magyar Huszar... These units stand out when compared to the wonderful work done on the rest of the new units. And the new buildings, which are masterpiece!

UPatch HD - the unofficial (HD) patch for Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome - HD resolution, HD quality interface graphics, hundreds of bug fixes, new gameplay options and many other enhancements.
    --- Download here (version 1.1 Release 3).
    --- For more information visit the site.
    Knaber
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 07:36 AM CT (US)     19 / 59       
    The new Condottiero is better Graphics wise but alot worse animation wise
    todler
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 07:37 AM CT (US)     20 / 59       
    Wild Elephant is a Boar replacement, so the size is intended, the animations are the same as the Elephant Archer, except for the running.

What's the issue with Magyar Huszar?
    Gap_V
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 07:43 AM CT (US)     21 / 59       
    I have more bugs for refix:

-Portuguese campaign - 2 crashes. First after I entered the grey city and demolished few buildings there, Second when building farms in second try.

-When I open old scenario (scx2) and save it, it gets ".aoe2scenario" and no more I can open it in trigger studio.

-As someone has already mentioned idle villager buttom doesn't work

-In scenario in dialogues during the game there is strange mix of fonts. It starts as usual, then switched into something like "Franklin Gothic Medium" font in Word
    John the Late
    Knight
    posted 11-07-15 09:41 AM CT (US)     22 / 59       
    Is it just me or do some of the new animals move a little wierd? Like the zebra, it's animations aren't smooth, it looks like there are missing frames.
    Kallehagen
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 10:37 AM CT (US)     23 / 59       
    even the aoe 1 animals would fit more better... most of the new units look to much detailed for age of empires 2
    the buildings are the best, they fit good. with most of the units / animals i dont agree, also not with the older unit replacement like kamayuk, slinger, before they dont look so much detailed they fit better :/
    good that most of the frames match with the old ones, its a bit sad.

[This message has been edited by Kallehagen (edited 11-07-2015 @ 10:39 AM).]

Bala Arizalu
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 12:05 PM CT (US)     24 / 59       
    May I ask, how can I contact the FE Team via email. There are important things that I want to.

Kallehagen
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 12:10 PM CT (US)     25 / 59       
    let me guess you want rip off stuff and include it into your mod :P

here you go: http://www.forgottenempires.net/contact
    Bala Arizalu
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 12:29 PM CT (US)     26 / 59       
    No
    I'm stoped for Moding .

[This message has been edited by Bala Arizalu (edited 11-07-2015 @ 12:31 PM).]

aoe_scout
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 12:50 PM CT (US)     27 / 59       
    Is it just me or do some of the new animals move a little wierd? Like the zebra, it's animations aren't smooth, it looks like there are missing frames.
    Indeed, also the Lion has very short legs and it looks like he is running in mud (the rest of his legs are below the ground).
    Wild Elephant is a Boar replacement, so the size is intended, the animations are the same as the Elephant Archer, except for the running.
    No, they are not, the EA animations are also not perfect but much better (its body is properly affected by each step, while the Gaia Elephant is "sliding"). Compare it to the original War Elephant, it looks completely out of place. You shouldn't ignore the size of the animal, when it's already included in the game as other units (even AOE1 got this right, despite being much less proportional). As for food amount, IMHO Gaia Elephants could be less on the map with more food, instead of replicating the old system again and again. AOM is a very good example of animal "abundance", different animals with different food amount.
    What's the issue with Magyar Huszar?
    It's a different unit that doesn't fit. Looks like a Civ3 unit (I'm not even sure if it isn't, it's from the old FE mod).

Another disappointment was the lack of proper testing, the patch broke too many things again, this doesn't look very professional, more like a pre-release. Fortunately, the hot fix solved some problems, but others still remain. I know it's probably because you had to do a lot of things in a short time (so it's MS's fault for pressing you or not hiring more people), but still.

All this would have been OK if it was a free mod, but it's normal for users to expect more from an official expansion. Especially when it delivered so much good content in other aspects (civilizations, buildings, campaigns, etc).

[This message has been edited by aoe_scout (edited 11-07-2015 @ 02:16 PM).]

Kallehagen
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 12:55 PM CT (US)     28 / 59       
    Fortunately the hot fix solved some problems, but others still remain.

before the hotfix the idle villager hotkey / button worked fine i cant imagine how someone can broken that feature with an hotfix.
    Bala Arizalu
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 01:53 PM CT (US)     29 / 59       
    FE team. Please check your email.

GuardianReborn
    Squire
    posted 11-07-15 05:00 PM CT (US)     30 / 59       
    For some reason instruction/hints/scout reports text now deletes itself upon testing a custom scenario as well, that didn't occur before the hotfix.
    Pitt_Man
    Squire
    (id: Dark_Reign)
    posted 11-07-15 09:08 PM CT (US)     31 / 59       
    No custom sounds are playing at all for me (with Play Sound, Display Instructions or Send Chat effects.) All files are in their correct locations but they don't work whenever I create/play a custom scenario.

EDIT: On a bright note the buildings and terrain look absolutely brilliant! Still waiting on those "wooden floor" and "building wall" terrains though

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                       _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         

[This message has been edited by Dark_Reign (edited 11-07-2015 @ 09:09 PM).]

Zetnus
    Squire
    posted 11-08-15 05:27 AM CT (US)     32 / 59       
    Do any of the terrains other than cracked dirt affect gameplay?
    I think I heard something about quicksand during the launch stream, but I don't remember what was said...

......../\
    ......./ / / \ Check out my Blacksmith submissions as well as my stuff in the Steam Workshop.
    ....../ / /\\ \
    ...../ /_/_\\ \ Proud guardian of the Updated New RMS Guide <<<version 3 is out<<<
    ..../_____\\\ \
    ....\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ and the Random Map Scripting Links and FAQ thread.
    ChaosLynx
    Squire
    posted 11-08-15 05:06 PM CT (US)     33 / 59       
    Probably ought to slow movement speed, although i tested it and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Also, Galleons don't make any sound when firing but War Galleons do, It occurred to me before in The Conquerors. Does anyone else have this problem?

- Aʀᴛ ѳғ Wᴀʀ -
    Pitt_Man
    Squire
    (id: Dark_Reign)
    posted 11-08-15 09:46 PM CT (US)     34 / 59       
    Quicksand is just a reskin of the ice terrain. Doesn't do anything except prevent building.

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                       _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
    John the Late
    Knight
    posted 11-08-15 10:02 PM CT (US)     35 / 59       
    Also, Galleons don't make any sound when firing but War Galleons do, It occurred to me before in The Conquerors. Does anyone else have this problem?
    This was always the case in The Conquerors and wasn't changed in FE either. There's simply no sound set for attacking galleons in the data.
    Childe
    Squire
    posted 11-09-15 05:43 AM CT (US)     36 / 59       
    I like this game a lot and even tho they don't have their archers my fav are the Malians- there's just something about their feel that is kin to me

Maybe it's their guarded town centers that save you a lot of idle time and scare away weak raiding units- I just love defensive civs more and I'm glad they kinda fill that role with a more open approach- cause defensive power houses are rare in aoc

still I think it would be cooler if they had their special spearmen on top of that to build moving walls with them

[This message has been edited by Childe (edited 11-09-2015 @ 05:47 AM).]

Hunyadi
    Squire
    posted 11-09-15 07:17 AM CT (US)     37 / 59       
    When are they going to fix the idle villie button? It's very hard to play without it.

From the ashes the Phoenix has arisen
    ChaosLynx
    Squire
    posted 11-09-15 11:26 AM CT (US)     38 / 59       
    This was always the case in The Conquerors and wasn't changed in FE either. There's simply no sound set for attacking galleons in the data.
    Huh. That sounds like something the AK devs should have probably thought of fixing, with all the hotfixes and patches. It's not a very urgent problem, it's just weird and bothering. Still, if this one could be included in a recent fix it would be neat.

- Aʀᴛ ѳғ Wᴀʀ -
    Childe
    Squire
    posted 11-10-15 00:04 AM CT (US)     39 / 59       
    The idle villager hotkey works fine for me

Only thing that's slightly bothering is some path finding issues- and villagers in between the gorgeous looking new African trees that take a break from chopping for no reason

But I'm sure this will be fixed soon- anyway, it's a great experience compared to the sometimes frustrating bugs I had to witness before- and it will only get better with time

[This message has been edited by Childe (edited 11-10-2015 @ 00:05 AM).]

Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    (id: matty12345)
    posted 11-10-15 01:19 PM CT (US)     40 / 59       
    Only thing that's slightly bothering is some path finding issues
    Yeah, that's really not an expansion problem I'd imagine. AoKHD has horrendous pathfinding when compared to the original game, and it's not something that can really be patched. The original code was just deleted for some unfathomable reason.

Compare my PTC entry to CarolKarine's. I used the CD, he used HD. My off grid placement of thousands of objects causes zero pathfinding issues. He did the same thing, and the result is pretty crippling.
    It's crazy how many weird little issues we just got used to over 15 years.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    John the Late
    Knight
    posted 11-11-15 02:21 AM CT (US)     41 / 59       
    I've been observing the same about HD pathfinding, and especially in MP it can lead to very frustrating situations.

Galleons usually manage to still create a lot of noise due to their projectiles having a "hitting/dying" animation with sound, so it can easily go unnoticed that the galleons themselves don't make any sound.
    Childe
    Squire
    posted 11-11-15 02:26 PM CT (US)     42 / 59       
    Yeah, that's really not an expansion problem I'd imagine. AoKHD has horrendous pathfinding when compared to the original game, and it's not something that can really be patched. The original code was just deleted for some unfathomable reason.

Compare my PTC entry to CarolKarine's. I used the CD, he used HD. My off grid placement of thousands of objects causes zero pathfinding issues. He did the same thing, and the result is pretty crippling.
    I'm sure somebody still has the original code but I guess it's quite hard to find and reach this guy now- I'd still try cause it would be so worth it

and even though you say pathfinding can't be patched I feel like it isn't as crazy and stupid as it used to be before aoak- especially petards and rams were super gnarly, now they're fine
    of course, it's still a slight nuisance

but either way the game is still very enjoyable if your cash or career don't depend on it lol

by the way, you seem to really know this stuff so I wanted to ask- is the same problem that causes pathfinding to be crippled the reason why we can't place units as freely in the editor anymore?

[This message has been edited by Childe (edited 11-11-2015 @ 02:27 PM).]

Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    (id: matty12345)
    posted 11-13-15 10:09 AM CT (US)     43 / 59       
    The pathfinding code is still there. Microsoft owns the CD version as well, and the code is in that version, so it isn't lost. But skybox made the choice to delete that code from the game and replace it with a clearly inferior version. I hope I am wrong, but I sincerely doubt that microsoft or the guys working for them are going to make that a high enough priority to change. It's not as simple as a bug patch I guess I am saying.

I don't own AK yet, mostly because everyone who buys it reports some bug so I'll wait a few months and let them do the usual microsoft model where your testers are your first wave of customers.

What's the problem you've been having in the editor with unit placement?

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    Jan dc
    Squire
    (id: Den cekke)
    posted 11-13-15 11:14 AM CT (US)     44 / 59       
    But skybox made the choice to delete that code from the game and replace it with a clearly inferior version.
    Obviously that's not how coding works and there's much more going on with path finding than just a few lines of an algorithm.

[This message has been edited by Jan dc (edited 11-13-2015 @ 11:14 AM).]

Childe
    Squire
    posted 11-13-15 11:30 AM CT (US)     45 / 59       
    wow okay, didn't know that- maybe the new code has more future possibilities though? cause I'm sure they have guys who know code and why would they just replace it with an inferior code for no reason :P

anyway that means they can make it better right? so that's great news!

sad to hear you didn't give aoak a try yet! you're missing out on some great fun man!
    the new civs, terrains, units and campaigns (I don't know the portuguese one yet but I'm sure it's similarly challenging as the others) are so gorgeous and especially malians and ethiopians are insanely fun to play with right now (maybe this will change with re balancing but I doubt it)
    It's just their weird versatility and almost contradictory contrasts (ethiopians being an archer civ with an infantry uu eg) that make them so much more surprising and fun than, dare I say, any civ ensemble studios established- there I said it! and I say it wholeheartedly! cause that's what really blew me away! puts a smile on my face just thinking about it :P

apart from that, on the performance side, I can only say I didn't witness any major like fun spoiling bugs with aoak yet and I've been playing it every day now since it released- mostly online even!
    It's a great expansion and it almost even met my insane expectations, in some areas it's even better than the conquerors and I loved that one! :P

of course, as with any game, some stuff is still improvable on both the performance as well as the content side of things
    but it's already so much fun as is, so I can just sit back, play another match and happily wait for it!
    thinking about making a thread with my collected ideas for a deluxe version on reddit or something
    really wanna hear other fan's opinions! maybe enough people like it that they actually implement some of the stuff! I'd be so happy

anyway, this has now turned into a little review almost :P

EDIT
    that editor "bug" isn't really a bug- it's just different than in conquerors
    back then you could swiftly place units anywhere you liked and now you can just place one per tile :P it's not a problem since they can move anywhere they want once you start the game- it just feels weird while placing them

just though it might be connected with the change of code?

[This message has been edited by Childe (edited 11-13-2015 @ 11:34 AM).]

TriRem
    Huskarl
    posted 11-13-15 01:43 PM CT (US)     46 / 59       
    Even in AoC you could only place one unit per tile, it's always been the case. But press ctrl+s and you'll be able to place units off-grid, and press it a second time and you'll place units totally freely no matter the terrain restrictions.

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
    Mahazona
    Squire
    posted 11-13-15 09:56 PM CT (US)     47 / 59       
    Is there are pic somewhere where we can see all the new unit skins?
    El Daddy
    Squire
    posted 11-14-15 08:25 AM CT (US)     48 / 59       
    @Mahazona -

Most/all of them are here
    Mahazona
    Squire
    posted 11-15-15 01:27 AM CT (US)     49 / 59       
    Thanks the units look nice and much better than the earlier versions.

Are there more than whats covered here?

[This message has been edited by Mahazona (edited 11-22-2015 @ 00:01 AM).]

Gap_V
    Squire
    posted 11-21-15 03:31 AM CT (US)     50 / 59       
    Many thanks for scenario conversions
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames