You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18, Barbarossa89, John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1201 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Are many people aware of the original Age of Empires 2 graphics?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Are many people aware of the original Age of Empires 2 graphics?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 41 42 43 44 ··· 48  Next Page »
ELiTE TEUTONiC
Squire
posted 01-15-11 08:55 AM CT (US)         
I'm not sure if there are many long termers here (by long termers I mean original Age of Empires 2 fans who were around with its inception) but the game actually had different graphics to what you see in the final game. This version was scrapped, and to be honest with you I find the original graphics quite appealing. I will try and find the original magazine pictures and scan if for you.

Firm believer in micro-management.
Introducing one of the greatest 2D RTS Medieval mods, Sword & Arrow: European Wars

[This message has been edited by ELiTE TEUTONiC (edited 09-12-2011 @ 09:14 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Taichi San
Squire
posted 10-07-12 05:22 AM CT (US)     1026 / 1201       
Oh very interesting to hear that those big map experiments were from post release, I thought it was possibly one of the cut out test features during beta testing

and yeah I can see that aoe2 started from the ror engine because the oldest beta I own still works like aoe1

and good to hear about the beta materials, if you ever decide to upload please try to leave all file creation times in tact as thats the most important detail of all

some years back I got some very bizarre copy of aoe2, it seemed to be more futuristically with a better cd protection etc, was very wierd, now I wished I still had it, could it have been an leaked out copy post release of C patch of the conquerors?
dnwq
Squire
posted 10-07-12 07:07 PM CT (US)     1027 / 1201       
Hmm... an announcement planned for the Christmas season? A new product?
Jetkill Fastmurder
Squire
(id: Mayank Sharma)
posted 10-08-12 04:32 AM CT (US)     1028 / 1201       
Jetkill> Uhm, People show up and work, and get paid a couple times a month?
I read in the leaked employee manual that you were paid according to how much you worked and that there were evaluations every month. How does that work?

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor" - Alexis Carrel
Dawn of Fantasy Heaven Census II
Taichi San
Squire
posted 10-08-12 04:55 AM CT (US)     1029 / 1201       
I guess he just means that he will have time again to reply to this topic at post xmas, I don't think its the announcement of a new product, and I would especially doubt it since aoe2 took almost 2 years to go from drawing table to store
ES_MattP
VIP
posted 10-08-12 04:00 PM CT (US)     1030 / 1201       
Jetkill> No, most people are on salary, which is adjusted once a year along with employee reviews. Hours worked are not as strongly correlated compared to some other companies. The important thing is the value you add to the company.

Taichi San > I meant that to dig up those materials would require some amount of free personal time, of which I don't expect to have enough until the Christmas Holiday.

dnwq > don't we all wish. *sigh*
Taichi San
Squire
posted 10-09-12 03:49 AM CT (US)     1031 / 1201       
@MattP:

Anyways, size of any materials you will upload in the future, perhaps are an true honor and a unique addition to my collection of the game's artdesk til store museum.
It's my own private collection of materials, pictures, reviews, previews, interviews, screenshots, drawings, renders, actual beta's and much more all ordered in the timeline of when aoe2 was made.
There are still many things that only have an estimated creation date but I can believe that when you ever gathered enough personal time to upload/send everything, that alot of gabs will be filled and lots of the puzzle will be solved.

Im also sure you have most things in their original highest resolution and best quality

I really can't wait til christmas because I know now that theres a present waiting that noone else but you can improve, im looking forward to it

some sidenotes:
You can just zip whole folders with files you even think are irrelevant if you think it takes lots of time to sort as long you're sure you've filtered out the things you don't want to share.

I got like terabytes of free diskspace and a omg big download speed, so I doubt if even the entire thing would be even a match for my connection, so do whatever you want

Can't wait

thanks matt!!
after all those brave years of searching and waiting
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 10-09-12 07:55 AM CT (US)     1032 / 1201       
Lol alexandra. You should be happy and grateful if he has the time and manages to dig up something, just don't expect an entire archive of hidden gems.

We should defenitely try and keep this thread going, I'm curious about anything people might post. I've been browsing through the earlier posts again lately, so much interesting things that I almost forgot about.
Taichi San
Squire
posted 10-10-12 03:08 PM CT (US)     1033 / 1201       
well great news peoples, I finally did it, I obtained an old computer magazine with an full screenshot and preview of aoe2 in 1998!!

The screenshot itself is known but its never been shown fully, with interface of the game!
You can see actually 6 kinds of resources called goods and iron ore, and you also see aoe1 command buttons and a minimap of the scenario the pic was taken from

I also obtained a copy of the game developer magazine with an complete story written by you, matt
Really well done

So, here after years of searching, finally something new

I also got an very old rare soundtrack cd of aoe1 with never herd before soundtracks, some normal ones and alternative versions of normal ones
Lurkur
Squire
(id: OtmShankIiI)
posted 10-10-12 03:28 PM CT (US)     1034 / 1201       
Iron ore. Well there's our mystery

"Seriously, if human stupidity could be used as a source of power wed already be a class-III civilization and our rockets wouldve reached Andromeda by now."
« Cliffs! (4.5) »

["I am the True God, Lua-kuh. Hhsssss. Start the Church of the Talking Lizard. Hssssssss. Build the Neo Temple. Spread the Word. Hssssssssssss. Follow meeeeeeeee... to... the otha... siiiiiiiide..."

And then he started belting out vague poetry about wanting to have sex with his mom." -From the great old Aro, about a dream I had.]
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 10-10-12 03:44 PM CT (US)     1035 / 1201       
Litude digged that one up actually
Neochud
Squire
(id: Taichud)
posted 10-10-12 03:48 PM CT (US)     1036 / 1201       
Notice the reflection of the units in the water? Quite advanced for such an old game. Shame they didn't keep that. In this, the dirt actually looks like dirt!

Lurkur
Squire
(id: OtmShankIiI)
posted 10-10-12 03:54 PM CT (US)     1037 / 1201       
I guess the reflection didn't make it because it was actually part of the ship's sprite... Think of it, it would look awkward if the ship was placed just north of a shore, right next to it.

I guess it was just a proof of concept, like many other beta features

"Seriously, if human stupidity could be used as a source of power wed already be a class-III civilization and our rockets wouldve reached Andromeda by now."
« Cliffs! (4.5) »

["I am the True God, Lua-kuh. Hhsssss. Start the Church of the Talking Lizard. Hssssssss. Build the Neo Temple. Spread the Word. Hssssssssssss. Follow meeeeeeeee... to... the otha... siiiiiiiide..."

And then he started belting out vague poetry about wanting to have sex with his mom." -From the great old Aro, about a dream I had.]

[This message has been edited by Lurkur (edited 10-10-2012 @ 03:55 PM).]

MartiNZ
Squire
posted 10-10-12 09:03 PM CT (US)     1038 / 1201       
Cool find. Every time I see one of those old shots I feel I can really see why they changed up the terrain art - it looks so dreary! The water too. Quite a surprise to see reflections, wouldn't even have noticed it had it not been pointed out!
Taichi San
Squire
posted 10-11-12 04:03 AM CT (US)     1039 / 1201       
The main cause is that the old game palette is almost the same as the aoe1 palette, I dug up one of the screenshots from miscrosoft that was still on its original bitmap form taken directly from the game with the pre alpha's palette, I dont kno if anyone extracted that palette already and I saw yesterday it was discovered before too well seems ive found it again, but I have the entire game magazine now including with the preview
dnwq
Squire
posted 10-11-12 07:35 AM CT (US)     1040 / 1201       
Wonder when British became Britons and Middle Age presumably became Castle...
Alexastor
AoEO Seraph
(id: Kastor)
posted 10-11-12 08:37 AM CT (US)     1041 / 1201       
HW didn't start as Halo game
We know Ensemble started working on it as an AoM port, but what brand had this console RTS really before it was made Halo Wars.

Was it AoE related or a completely new brand?
Alexastor
AoEO Seraph
posted 10-15-12 08:40 AM CT (US)     1042 / 1201       
Mithril Knight
Squire
posted 10-15-12 09:39 AM CT (US)     1043 / 1201       
But apparently, it's going to be for the Xbox360.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
Alexastor
AoEO Seraph
posted 10-15-12 10:02 AM CT (US)     1044 / 1201       
No. There's are "Xbox for Windows" games now. A bit weird, but yeah. I don't see any needed console specifications either. It definitely says Windows gaming in the job description.
Dead_End
Cavalier
posted 10-15-12 11:10 AM CT (US)     1045 / 1201       
Quoted from link
• Experience with Havok and/or Vision engine.
Havoc was used in AoEO and Vision is being used in Robot Entertainment's Orcs Must Die. My money's on it being some kind of AoEO-related game.
local boi
Squire
(id: dragon14)
posted 10-15-12 11:32 AM CT (US)     1046 / 1201       
is it just me or are games everywere taking a turn for the toonish? I really dislike that kind of artwork unless it's supposed to be some sort of singular main character (like adventure games..it fits Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, sly cooper) and see no reason for it to make it's way into a strategy game.

USA
katsup or mustard

[This message has been edited by local boi (edited 10-15-2012 @ 11:32 AM).]

Alexastor
AoEO Seraph
posted 10-15-12 11:41 AM CT (US)     1047 / 1201       
It was used in The Settlers 7 as well. It seems to be working fine for RTS games. And given that it's possibly worked on inhouse, a licenced engine is more likely than working with the AoE3/AoEO engine. I doubt anyone will want to work with it. Only Robot sort of knows it, and GPG doesn't like the engine for it's highly outdated.
ES_MattP
VIP
posted 10-15-12 11:50 AM CT (US)     1048 / 1201       
I know nothing about that job posting. If I had to speculate, I would guess they are continuing with AoEO.

local boi> I think what you are noticing is the "iOS effect" - where all the games in the mobile/iOS space and facebook games have adopted a very smooth colorful cartoon style in part for reasons of cost and efficency.
Alexastor
AoEO Seraph
posted 10-15-12 01:27 PM CT (US)     1049 / 1201       
Well, it says "This full time position is dedicated to creating a new game to expand the Age of Empires portfolio, targeting modern highly accessible platforms with broad appeal, rich social connectivity and intuitive controls."

New game, probably Xbox for Windows 8 and tablets. Unless they just copy/pasted an AoEO description.

Anything about the AoM question I asked earlier?

[This message has been edited by Alexastor (edited 10-15-2012 @ 03:58 PM).]

PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 10-15-12 01:48 PM CT (US)     1050 / 1201       
I would guess they are continuing with AoEO
AoKO? It better be drastically different from AoEO, I hope MS learned from the mistakes made.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 41 42 43 44 ··· 48  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames