You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18, Barbarossa89, John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1201 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Are many people aware of the original Age of Empires 2 graphics?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Are many people aware of the original Age of Empires 2 graphics?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 41 42 43 44 45 ··· 48  Next Page »
ELiTE TEUTONiC
Squire
posted 01-15-11 08:55 AM CT (US)         
I'm not sure if there are many long termers here (by long termers I mean original Age of Empires 2 fans who were around with its inception) but the game actually had different graphics to what you see in the final game. This version was scrapped, and to be honest with you I find the original graphics quite appealing. I will try and find the original magazine pictures and scan if for you.

Firm believer in micro-management.
Introducing one of the greatest 2D RTS Medieval mods, Sword & Arrow: European Wars

[This message has been edited by ELiTE TEUTONiC (edited 09-12-2011 @ 09:14 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
MartiNZ
Squire
posted 10-15-12 07:52 PM CT (US)     1051 / 1201       
The main mistake was with the "O" - maybe they can just redo AoK ... man this seems somehow circular lol .
Thompsoncs
Squire
posted 10-16-12 04:56 AM CT (US)     1052 / 1201       
In a modern time, more focus on online play makes sense. But completely removing one of the major items of the series, being the scenario editor, was wrong. And though some might like them, I know many dislike the graphics of aoeo. Not because they aren't of a quality like skyrim, battlefield and such, but because of the chosen style. It looks a bit childish to be honest.

[This message has been edited by Thompsoncs (edited 10-18-2012 @ 07:14 PM).]

Lurkur
Squire
(id: OtmShankIiI)
posted 10-16-12 10:09 AM CT (US)     1053 / 1201       
Well, if I had to choose between iOS childish and AoK-style childish, I'd still get the latter anytime.

"Seriously, if human stupidity could be used as a source of power wed already be a class-III civilization and our rockets wouldve reached Andromeda by now."
Cliffs! (4.5)

["I am the True God, Lua-kuh. Hhsssss. Start the Church of the Talking Lizard. Hssssssss. Build the Neo Temple. Spread the Word. Hssssssssssss. Follow meeeeeeeee... to... the otha... siiiiiiiide..."

And then he started belting out vague poetry about wanting to have sex with his mom." -From the great old Aro, about a dream I had.]
local boi
Squire
(id: dragon14)
posted 10-16-12 12:02 PM CT (US)     1054 / 1201       
I don't see any childishness in the AOk graphics models made to represent your pieces - like chess pieces such as the knight, king or rook for example. just gritty old graphics.
For real cartoonish graphics, you want to go to AOEO and check out screenies. Or look at the ads for AOEO. Or WOW (maybe? never played it besides that one time, so I'm basing this one off of what I remember seeing). or something.
Nevertheless interested in what Matt has to say about that.

example of AoeO graphics http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/05/wonder2.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/05/empirebazaarui.jpg

Honestly I have a tough time looking at that without thinking "Clown". First descriptive word that popped into my head.

The second screenie made me think immediately of disney. (as in the channel). That's a bad thing.
Edit: Nickolodeon also conmes to mind.

USA
katsup or mustard

[This message has been edited by local boi (edited 10-16-2012 @ 12:13 PM).]

PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 10-16-12 12:46 PM CT (US)     1055 / 1201       
I'm pretty sure Thompy meant AoEO, not AoK. If not... blasphemy!

I also don't like how a lot of modern games get the "cartoony" style graphics nowadays. Seems like a trend that will continue for a few years.

Sebastien
Dark Samurai
posted 10-16-12 01:33 PM CT (US)     1056 / 1201       
AOK is kind of cartoony. The textures aren't too detailed and the colours are over saturated. The palette has a lot of bright or dark colours in and don't accommodate for the mid tones as much.

Personally I actually prefer, to the nearest point, SWGB's graphics. The cliffs, trees, buildings, terrains and units etc seemed to fit in a lot more detail and had a more realistic feel to them.

I'd much rather an AOK reboot of some kind would go an even more realistic and 3d approach than anywhere near the cartoony, unrealistic feel.

The medieval times were dark, bloody and violent. I know it's a family game and all, but bringing in some of that grittiness with a palette to accommodate it, would be much more fun and realistic.
Alexastor
AoEO Seraph
(id: Kastor)
posted 10-16-12 04:00 PM CT (US)     1057 / 1201       
The medieval era wasn't really darker than any other eras. Only the lack of sources is "dark".

A lot you might assign with the "dark" middle eras are actually (early) modern phenomenons.

[This message has been edited by Alexastor (edited 10-16-2012 @ 04:01 PM).]

Sebastien
Dark Samurai
posted 10-16-12 04:39 PM CT (US)     1058 / 1201       
I didn't mean dark in the literal sense. I meant it in the fact the period was renowned with disease, war and poverty etc. Just a general term; an overview.

You know, like, picture a formation of troops, truddling through the mud in armour, hacking off arms and shit...that's dark!
Alexastor
AoEO Seraph
posted 10-16-12 05:00 PM CT (US)     1059 / 1201       
That's the image you have, but it's not true.
MartiNZ
Squire
posted 10-16-12 08:21 PM CT (US)     1060 / 1201       
Re focus on online play - tbh I don't know that it actually does make sense. I think it did make sense say 2004-2008. Since then even WoW has been more so massively single player than MMO. Even playing with IRL friends tends to dissolve into everyone doing their own thing.

The online community thing had its time but I think many people would now prefer more like what we had with AoK; it is just that the market seems to expect all the extras to keep people p(l)aying these days. And personally, I found the online community we had in AoK days to be far more convincing than what we see in AoEO. Perhaps it really is just that I was far more prepared to do the same thing over and over again back then, but I don't think that is the case.

Then of course there is the SC2 approach, whereby you completely remove any sense of community at all ... but I'm pretty sure that's not the answer either. The gaming zone as it was, is still the best multiplayer experience I've seen, and it did that with AoK as it was then.
anterior2
Scenario Design Expert
posted 10-17-12 00:31 AM CT (US)     1061 / 1201       
Personally, I prefer the AoE1 graphics. I remember when I first played AoE2 (after having spent many years on AoE1 and some on AoE3), and I went into a game. My reaction: "WTF I thought I had graphics on high!?!". After checking, yes I did have graphics on high, but it still looked just plain messy. (And no, I did not have the windows 7 colour bug). I was used to the simplicity of the AoE1 graphics, and the realism of the AoE3 graphics; the AoK graphics just seemed strange and gross- somewhere in between, but with the worst of both worlds and not the best. The water was disgusting, I could probably recreate the AoK water in paint. Furthermore, the buildings were HUGE!

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
Alexastor
AoEO Seraph
posted 10-17-12 06:13 AM CT (US)     1062 / 1201       
I prefer AoE1's graphics as well.

A new Age game (if there ever is to come one) has to focus on Online play. But it doesn't necessarily have to be MMO-like as seen in AoEO. In fact, many MMO aspects like quest rewards break the game: Those things make you play certain quests because they yield the best rewards, not because you like them. The game forces you to play something you don't like to play, making the overall game un-fun.

But always-online, co-op missions, PvP? Don't have a problem with that.
Grubnessul
Squire
posted 10-17-12 11:38 AM CT (US)     1063 / 1201       
Being always online is fine, the silly quests of AoEO are not. I never got to the point of multiplayer, but the quest rewards I got in the mean time were quite horrible. Giving all my axemen a +5% upgrade which cannot be seen by the opponent, nor used except by doing some quest seems horrible game design to me. We need a new RTS of the scale of AoE2, don't think any RTS at all was released since StarCraft2.
Thompsoncs
Squire
posted 10-18-12 07:21 PM CT (US)     1064 / 1201       
Obviously I meant the aoeo graphics look childish, not those of aok, fixed that error in my post.

The graphics of aok look good, especially for its time, but a new game could do at least 10x better in details, colors and such. Look for example at 0 AD, though the units and building might need a bit more work, the terrain and water is great.

But please, if they are working on aoko, bring back the editor. Because that's what made me stick to the age of series.

The graphics seem a bit paradoxal. Computers can deal with a lot better than before, and game companies can make much better, but it appears that certain game-genres have been infiltrated by app-games and facebook-games. First person shooters graphics are usually very realistic. Just look at battlefield 3 and call of duty. Skyrim has great graphics too. I guess its a matter if price and fitting of graphics. Hardly anybody would buy a cartoonish call of duty. It just wouldnt work.

[This message has been edited by Thompsoncs (edited 10-18-2012 @ 07:24 PM).]

MartiNZ
Squire
posted 10-18-12 08:22 PM CT (US)     1065 / 1201       
Gotta say I never really felt there was much wrong with AoK's graphics. I do think that at least unit graphics in AoE1 were better, the detail on the legion and centurion especially, compared to the fuzziness of the champion, for example. But I certainly never minded the textures.

I never really liked the graphics of AoE3, I found that the 3d made it really hard to tell units apart, and I thought they could have done better textures and such while requiring much less CPU power, which was one thing that I think really disadvantaged AoE3 in its ability to grow a community. By comparison, I always really liked WarCraft 3's graphics and textures - the units were all very easy to tell apart, and the style meant that it still looks really good now .. as well as having pretty good gameplay.
Litude
Squire
posted 10-19-12 12:22 PM CT (US)     1066 / 1201       
@Taichi San: Could you tell us more about this soundtrack with some never before heard aoe1 songs?
Taichi San
Squire
posted 10-19-12 05:02 PM CT (US)     1067 / 1201       
you might find it under the title
David Rippy & Stephen Rippy Age Of Empires Soundtrack

Its some old soundtrack CD from aoe1, no its not the sountrack compilation provided on the aoe 1&2 collectors edition

Litude, how many beta versions you have total?
can you list all game names and version numbers?
you can find them if you open the file properties on the game's main exe
Litude
Squire
posted 10-20-12 02:58 AM CT (US)     1068 / 1201       
I guess you're talking about the regular Red Book audio tracks that are present on the original Age of Empires CD then?

As for betas, these are the ones I have:
Age of Empires  00.04.03.0113
Age of Empires 00.04.04.0125
Age of Empires 00.04.05.0130
Age of Empires 00.04.05.0202
Age of Empires 00.05.01.0203
Age of Empires 00.05.01.0204
Age of Empires 00.08.09.0716
Rise of Rome 00.02.02.0703
Age of Kings 00.09.07.0222
Age of Kings 00.11.26.0701
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 10-20-12 04:38 PM CT (US)     1069 / 1201       
I guess you're talking about the regular Red Book audio tracks that are present on the original Age of Empires CD then?
I can confirm that, I talked with Alexandra about them.

Taichi San
Squire
posted 10-21-12 03:33 PM CT (US)     1070 / 1201       
Yes, sorry peoples and sorry, none of the versions on the list were new to me, now we know we only got 2 betas and mattP got some more, but all respect that he will never share them.
(not even if hes sitting at the same table as you are and secretly hands you some clone copied disks in an classified info envelope :P

edit: I wuld even put 1000 euros/dollars in an envelope I would give back in exchange, yes so high is the need :P, especially if the beta is before the 09.07.0222 version
(which strangely also pops up alot of dates of old football matches around the same date online lol)

[This message has been edited by Taichi San (edited 10-21-2012 @ 03:35 PM).]

Taichi San
Squire
posted 10-23-12 06:14 PM CT (US)     1071 / 1201       
@MattP

Earlier, you posted an CGW AoE1 Demo on age of kings heaven
Currently im doing a huge magazine research at the web and wonder if you can confirm if there are any other magazines that has special demos from aoe1 or 2 that are different from the regular demo release, like the cgw demo is different, the aoe2 cgw demo was very slightly different but not a different build

Can you also provide info if there have ever been Non-final releases been published of aoe1 or 2?

thanks alot
ES_MattP
VIP
posted 10-24-12 10:31 AM CT (US)     1072 / 1201       
@Taichi San: I don't think any of the Beta CDs I have are unknown.

To my knowledge, the CGW AoE1 Demo is the only time a demo build was officially released that differed from the game demo(s) that Microsoft had up for download.

You see, at the time, ES and Age of Empires was pretty much a complete unknown, and to get the prominent/first billing on the CD and the magazine we had to come up with "something exclusive" for the magazine. It also needed 8 weeks or so of lead time for printing the CDs, so the version we put together had a unique 5 scenario campaign, and the code was not final.

By the time Age of Kings was ready, the situation has changed. ES and the Age of Empires 'brand' had gone from unknown to very well known and sought after, so it was the magazines coming to us and taking whatever demo we had instead of us chasing them.
Taichi San
Squire
posted 10-25-12 03:42 PM CT (US)     1073 / 1201       
aha interesting to know matt!
So, aoe1 wasn't announced alot before it was released?
Or at the time, the media werent wide enough to reach enough peoples who would read it.

Can you please once again check it what version numbers the game's exe's have at empires2.exe?

Do you also have game beta's/alphas that are without cd, I mean, not all betas were released on cds I guess, so I really wonder if you have also game betas that just exist as a bunch of files, doesnt even matter if the game's data is complete or not.
Also as you (hopefully) would make some time free at christmas to see if you had any more beta things as Im sure you have because youve shown some really nice artwork and 2 never seen before screenshots.

PS: doesn't even matter if the files are just a total bunch of chaos, even if you zipped or rared the whole file directories with all files and info you want filtered out or may not be released, this makes it only more fun to spend days searching thru the chaos and sort out everything

Really happy your here with us matt as your the only hope on this world atm of all es people who could provide more insider knowledge of the games pre release times.

I feel when the day comes you share the thing, the search will finally for the biggest part and I can update my collection with the real things and with the files with their original contents and perhaps also creation dates which will finally allow us to index all screenshots and other game materials on production date so I can complete my museum about age of empires 2 from drawing table to store, forever and then ill make some safe backups and will keep it with me for the rest of my life to have the most awesome collection ever made in dedication to one of the most amazing game production times in the computer history.

The creation of Age of Empires 1 & 2 must be a story that should never be forgotten and Ive spent over 5 years of my entire life to collect and gather all historical things.

Bummer I wasn't older or I would have probably had most things picked from sites at that time and would have done everything to be in the beta testing team

Your my Only Hope Matt Pritchard

Edit: can you atleast check out this cd's empires2.exe version number?

as the chance is very large, this beta isnt a found one

[This message has been edited by Taichi San (edited 10-25-2012 @ 04:02 PM).]

Litude
Squire
posted 10-28-12 06:20 PM CT (US)     1074 / 1201       
@Taichi San: That Beta CD is most definitely a version we do not have. From what I've been able to find out it is a version that is very slightly earlier than the beta 00.11.26.0701 we already have.

Do you think you could post your collection of the game assets? I'm curious to see what you've been able to gather during the past few years. Below are links to my collections:

Age of Empires
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

The Rise of Rome
Part 1, Part 2

Age of Kings
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5
Taichi San
Squire
posted 10-29-12 05:16 AM CT (US)     1075 / 1201       
Litude, that the main problem currently, its spread out over 6 harddiscs in different lcoations im trying to gather it to 1 place

edit:
url removed, sorry mods, wow, sorry, btw wasnt worth visiting anyways after some thorough research

Just found some foreign site with alot of copys of aoe1 and 2 uploaded there mixed thru the list! its quite alot and if you download choose the free option ofc.

Maybe for the most determined fans like me im going to download everything related to aoe there, especially since its foreign, I guess there might be a tiny chance, one of the users (unknowingly) uploaded a pre release, if you dont shoot, you never win, even if theyre all retails, ill atleast know I searched thru there

[This message has been edited by Taichi San (edited 10-29-2012 @ 04:49 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 41 42 43 44 45 ··· 48  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames