Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.186 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » AoK HD
Bottom
Topic Subject:AoK HD
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 6  Next Page »
CarolKarine
Squire
posted 03-07-13 09:45 PM CT (US)         
SO I know there's a thread over in the TC discussing this. and in the news forum. but I want to talk here specifically about editor changes, modding changes, compatibility with old work, and distribution changes.

I'm expecting this to be the same engine and so data modding might be the same as it was, but I'm fairly sure the userpatch won't apply, and likely graphical mods won't either. I expect scenarios will be transferable.

I also want to talk about this in terms of what it means for HG and the blacksmith. I expect we'll see more traffic, depending on the compatibility of old files, but ultimately I think we'll need to copy the best bits of the blacksmith to steam's workshop. maybe on each file's thumbnail, we have HG's logo or something. I don't know.

Also, are we going to move contests and stuff over? cause I don't want to start on a PTC on the non-HD version and then find I can't switch it over later. will we even accept entries from the HD version? so on so forth.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
AuthorReplies:
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 03-12-13 10:04 AM CT (US)     71 / 186       
At least "game data" mods doesn't mean campaigns, scenarios, random maps, AIs or replays.

Advanced Genie Editor
Follow coding here and here.
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 03-12-13 10:09 AM CT (US)     72 / 186       
Hmm, Game Data could really be anything drs or dat file related. Probably not exe though.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
CarolKarine
Squire
posted 03-12-13 10:48 AM CT (US)     73 / 186       
still, for everyone designing with edited .dat files, it means we're not hopeless.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
danielpereira
Squire
posted 03-12-13 11:30 AM CT (US)     74 / 186       
Anyway,give a look what it says in the Steam Workshop "warning" and how it is worded:

See how it says that it can include malicious generated code... Look how they worded it! I think that there's something behind that....
Dead_End
Cavalier
posted 03-12-13 11:35 AM CT (US)     75 / 186       
As in: don't blame us if the mod screws up your game or system.
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 03-12-13 11:38 AM CT (US)     76 / 186       
It is highly likely that this is some general Steam Workshop warning that was not written specifically for this game.

...But this is a lot of fun speculating.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
danielpereira
Squire
posted 03-12-13 11:41 AM CT (US)     77 / 186       
Hm, yeah, but, the words that they use are still suspicious...
I still think that it means something...
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 03-12-13 11:42 AM CT (US)     78 / 186       
On second thought, it mentions Microsoft studios, plus AoE2HD in the same sentence, so yeah, you might be correct.

[This message has been edited by Matt LiVecchi (edited 03-12-2013 @ 11:43 AM).]

Pulkit
Squire
posted 03-12-13 07:55 PM CT (US)     79 / 186       
^ Or, like any good programmer, they could have variables as placeholders.

"These mods may alter $gameName functions ... risk and release $companyName ..."

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
Alexastor
AoEO Seraph
(id: Kastor)
posted 03-13-13 06:08 AM CT (US)     80 / 186       
Well, let's hope game data lets us include both .drs and .dat files.
CarolKarine
Squire
posted 03-13-13 07:19 AM CT (US)     81 / 186       
I'd be okay with modding that only allows graphical and data edits. the userpatch is great, but not necessary. the only bit of it I use on a regular basis is the shortcut to let me place stuff off-grid.

Basse
Squire
posted 03-13-13 07:37 AM CT (US)     82 / 186       
the only bit of it I use on a regular basis is the shortcut to let me place stuff off-grid.
What about FE and ToME? I really hope they allow any files to be modded.
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 03-13-13 08:05 AM CT (US)     83 / 186       
Tome can get by without exe editing. AoFE will be screwed though, because they have extra civs.

Pulkit
Squire
posted 03-13-13 08:35 AM CT (US)     84 / 186       
They uploaded this FAQ a couple days ago: http://www.ageofempires.com/age2.html

Key Highlights:
  • Up to 8 Players only
  • No changes to gameplay. "Merely updated the game to run on current operating systems, with HD graphics."
  • Mechanics and balance from 1.0c
  • A special blog dedicated to what "user-created content" means in Steam Workshop coming up soon
  • Developers are still working on more improvements

Modding info
    Apart from the upcoming blog, here's a forum with lots of info (Alexastor and a few AoKHers are there already!): http://forums.ageofempiresonline.com/forums/91/ShowForum.aspx
    Key finds:
  • Campaign, Scenario, Random Map Script, AI, Game Data, and Replay seem to be supported
  • Official announements will only happen via the blog, so no point posting on the forum yet

New screenies! Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2

They also list all the graphic changes:

Enhanced Graphics with Classic Feel:
  • 1080p+ high resolution support
  • Updated lighting effects and improved fire & water effects
  • 32bit terrain
  • Multi-monitor support
  • Windowed mode

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it

[This message has been edited by Pulkit (edited 03-13-2013 @ 08:46 AM).]

• Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 03-13-13 09:39 AM CT (US)     85 / 186       
    A special blog dedicated to what "user-created content" means in Steam Workshop coming up soon
    Speculating on what a blog is going to be about is probably loon territory, but it seems like they wouldn't go out of their way to talk up user created content if they were actually cutting down on it.

Keisari Tapsa
    Smith
    posted 03-13-13 09:51 AM CT (US)     86 / 186       
    Imagine if they release a tool that totally replaces Turtle Pack and Advanced Genie Editor.

Advanced Genie Editor
    DJeronimo
    Banned
    posted 03-13-13 03:21 PM CT (US)     87 / 186       
    yes, a tool with new mapsize and some new additions from swgb, it will blow the minds of the gamers and the whole community will explode....more civilisations and bigger maps...and some game features, like the animal nursery, the walking shield generator (flag units that give a high morale to nearby friendly units - i am drawing the flags these days..); i would turn back from swgb if they provide some features...
    Rambit
    Squire
    posted 03-13-13 03:39 PM CT (US)     88 / 186       
    Ah the speculation, it is almost as fun as the game itself. Would be interesting to look back at these topics once it is released.
    John the Late
    Knight
    posted 03-13-13 03:58 PM CT (US)     89 / 186       
    this
    BF_Tanks
    Squire
    posted 03-14-13 06:00 AM CT (US)     90 / 186       
    Ohh hhhh my god only a month ish to wait

OOOOOH
    MMYYYY
    GOOOOOD

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
    Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
    and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
    Keisari Tapsa
    Smith
    posted 03-14-13 12:48 PM CT (US)     91 / 186       
    I mined some comments of MS Ryz0n in Steam forums:
    The sound files are actually all .mp3 now for ease of access and..uh... sneaky little mods
    Break out ablleton or FL studio or whatever your favorite audio creation program may be, the workshop isn't just for scenarios and replays
    So after doing some digging, it looks like audio for specific units are buried a bit deeper within the game data files. Most of the audio (background music, ambient noises, taunts, etc) are all MP3 - but for the units you'll have to dig a bit deeper.

Advanced Genie Editor

[This message has been edited by Keisari Tapsa (edited 03-14-2013 @ 12:51 PM).]

Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 03-14-13 01:18 PM CT (US)     92 / 186       
    Hmm, those are really interesting. basically confirming that at least they think there is mod support. Whether their definition of mod support is as inclusive as our hopes is still up in the air.

Mike Oxhard
    Squire
    (id: Arnas)
    posted 03-14-13 02:00 PM CT (US)     93 / 186       
    HD version is so awesome. Is it free though? I probably would get steam all because of this.

=D
    Basse
    Squire
    posted 03-14-13 02:04 PM CT (US)     94 / 186       
    It costs £17 to pre-purchase or £20 when it is released.
    Lord Basse
    MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
    posted 03-14-13 02:34 PM CT (US)     95 / 186       
    From the same thread:
    We did convert a bunch of stuff to .mp3s, but for units you'll have to dig into the .dat files in some cases. There's a few areas we actually made it easier to mod (which will make those of you who prefer the old fire happy), but that's something we'll talk about a bit more down the road here in our dev diaries.
    Sound pretty promising to me.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
    OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 90,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    Keisari Tapsa
    Smith
    posted 03-14-13 02:38 PM CT (US)     96 / 186       
    Maybe they'll release full information of dat and drs files

Advanced Genie Editor
    John the Late
    Knight
    posted 03-14-13 02:59 PM CT (US)     97 / 186       
    So they already expect people not to like the new fire? Fine. I hate it
    Keisari Tapsa
    Smith
    posted 03-14-13 03:01 PM CT (US)     98 / 186       
    I never liked the unrealistic colors of the old fire.

Advanced Genie Editor
    Lord Basse
    posted 03-14-13 03:07 PM CT (US)     99 / 186       
    The colours have never really bothered me. The movement of the new fire does, however. It looks more like a liquid, as if it was taken from a Worms game.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 90,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    John the Late
    Knight
    posted 03-14-13 03:25 PM CT (US)     100 / 186       
    That and the amount of fire (!!) is what bugs me.
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 03-14-13 04:01 PM CT (US)     101 / 186       
    Haha, I posting hoping he would bite on that. He's confirmed at least dat file modding.

Lord Basse
    posted 03-14-13 04:39 PM CT (US)     102 / 186       
    Another nifty tidbit from the developer:
    We were playing a custom multiplayer scenario designed in the original game from a number of years ago. (Actually a pretty darn well designed one too. There's some really great stuff out there)
    ... meaning backwards compatibility is ensured!

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    Basse
    Squire
    posted 03-14-13 04:52 PM CT (US)     103 / 186       
    Yeah, I sort of calculated that out when they said all campaigns were still in game. I doubt they would want to re-make all the scenarios just for a re-mastered version
    danielpereira
    Squire
    posted 03-14-13 06:08 PM CT (US)     104 / 186       
    In the same way that you can play AoK scenarios on TC.
    Impeached
    VIP (Reverie World Studios)
    (id: MeGaIdIoT)
    posted 03-14-13 09:37 PM CT (US)     105 / 186       
    Yay, free publicity for eternal blood! :-p

me
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 6  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames