You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.483 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » creating your own game...
Bottom
Topic Subject:creating your own game...
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 14  Next Page »
tribal_warrior
Squire
posted 11-07-01 07:17 PM CT (US)         
we got this BIG forum, and we got lots of talented people. what we need to do is band together adn work on possibly putting out our own version of a war game. imagine the type of custom map editor, the ideas... all we need is people skilled in:
webdesign- c++ - programming - art (both 3D and sketch) - we work up an idea taht mixs the best of everything. maybe get some sketchs drawn up, work out the bugs, get a basic design... and get it to a company. there are companys out there who will do that.
I KNOW it would be hard. uf not next to impossible, but i have followthrough, and i know everything is possible. what is the general public's view on this?

C[xxxxx];;;;TRIBAL-DESIGN-TEAM;;;;>
www.welcome.to/tribal-design-team
CURRENT PROJECT: "The Assasin"
AuthorReplies:
Falcon Campaign Creations
Squire
posted 11-08-01 03:52 PM CT (US)     1 / 483       
Ok, now.

When I first read the post, I did not notice the poster,and I thought that it is nice idea, and everything. I decided to agree, if any help is needed. Then I noticed the poster. He is my team member (Well, I am his actually), and then I thought: "Well, who else is going to suggest something like that!". Way to go tribal_warrior, I am all the way with you. Whereever this Van may go, and whatever it may hit.

Kristo Vaher
Falcon Design
Member of Tribal Design Team

vegeta9533
Squire
posted 11-08-01 03:57 PM CT (US)     2 / 483       
coooool!!!! except for the fact im not talented enough to do that....

~\/-_~/\-_~\/-_~/\-_~\/-_vegeta9533_-\/~_-/\~_-\/~_-/\~_-\/~
Da Warriah
Squire
posted 11-08-01 04:00 PM CT (US)     3 / 483       
When I first read the post, I did not notice the poster,and I thought that it is nice idea, and everything. I decided to agree, if any help is needed. Then I noticed the poster. IT WAS TRIBAL_WARRIOR!!! whoa...it wont work.. just kidding...

RTS Empire
DA WARRIAH
tribal_warrior
Squire
posted 11-08-01 04:01 PM CT (US)     4 / 483       
just send ideas. thats all. my bro is a good artist he could draw sketchs of building, units etc. just sned in ideas. any help is over and above!ideas, tips, join up. anything!

tribal_warrior
Squire
posted 11-08-01 04:02 PM CT (US)     5 / 483       
e-mail is: micah137@juno.com

thurdl01
Squire
posted 11-08-01 04:48 PM CT (US)     6 / 483       
Actually, I've had an idea for an RTS running around my head for over a year, an idea with at least three elements that I have seen in no other game.

But then again, I'm saving this idea for when I win the lottery and use my millions to start my own software firm

tribal_warrior
Squire
posted 11-08-01 05:48 PM CT (US)     7 / 483       
oh come on- we are all sharing ideas. i am thinking maybe somethign centered around dark ages of europe. featuring: britons, saxon, anglos, jutes, picts etc. i have done some history check ups on them and have been working on units and buildings. each country will have special attributes, (picts are known for their visciousness, so they swing faster etc...) how does that sounds for a basic?

svede
Squire
posted 11-08-01 05:57 PM CT (US)     8 / 483       
Im still learning c++, but have some experience with programming and have design lots of ideas for RTS's...I also have a RTS programming book, by Kawick, one of the original aoe programmers
laffingdonkey
Squire
posted 11-08-01 06:06 PM CT (US)     9 / 483       
will this be a DOS game or a windows game? if its DOS i would be glad to lend a hand

'If theres anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.'
tribal_warrior
Squire
posted 11-08-01 06:12 PM CT (US)     10 / 483       
we got something going guys. svede in c++, kristo (flacon) in designing... i need people's e-mails. i can get a website up. we will need: people with ideas on:
units, technologies, building, map editor, drawings (sketchs) etc. how about adding realistic stuff to it like, only catapults and siege towers can shoot over walls. thats realistic. (siege towers, my own idea. like a trebuchet, it can be mantled and dismantled, except you set it up near walls and it blasts enemys on the other side with arrows.) very historical. besides, who ever heard of an archer shooting over a wall and hitting an enemy? ideas? website?

laffingdonkey
Squire
posted 11-08-01 07:34 PM CT (US)     11 / 483       
what about me?

'If theres anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.'
tribal_warrior
Squire
posted 11-08-01 10:02 PM CT (US)     12 / 483       
most likely windwos. but we will need stuff from everybody. see above notes for stuff we need. history on the countrys... units thought up etc.

Cobra
Squire
posted 11-08-01 10:13 PM CT (US)     13 / 483       
I wish i was skilled enough with some of those things, or had the time to do the others, but maybe i can help anyways.

Dona nobis pacem
II
V
II}(+){II
A
II
Visit Cheeseland and its Forums Today‡Jackassery and Nonsense welcome
‡‡1000th Post in Last Thread
Cobra
Squire
posted 11-08-01 10:15 PM CT (US)     14 / 483       
make this thread in Modpack to, so those artist can jump on

Dona nobis pacem
II
V
II}(+){II
A
II
AirworthyBruteo2000
Squire
posted 11-08-01 10:41 PM CT (US)     15 / 483       
I really wanna help but i probaly ain't talented enogh to deal with this stuff. What kind of age would this be? You know 1999 stuff Or 100 a.d stuff... Please i wanna help. SOunds cool
Cobra
Squire
posted 11-08-01 11:30 PM CT (US)     16 / 483       
I'll see if i ca help something though.

Dona nobis pacem
II
V
II}(+){II
A
II
Squire
posted 11-09-01 08:12 AM CT (US)     17 / 483       
Well, about that graphics and designing stuff. If something would even begin to work out, then I have decided that all objects (well, most) would be done in 3d, no matter if the game is in 2d or not. And we cannot begin to think about some cool features that other games haven't. First we have to build the code and engine, and then make it work, so that we could build at least a building and some units. Then we will start developing. Otherwise, it will fail miserably...
thunderbird980
Squire
posted 11-09-01 08:27 AM CT (US)     18 / 483       
A good idea,but it takes very long to design a game...
I would like to help,but I'm not good enough!
The only good skill I have is the AOK-mapeditor!
I am still learning HTML(and happy if I get a "Hello" at the site )
Ok,maybe I can help with the ideas!
My e-mail adress is thunderbird@freenet.de

*Map Designer**A member of Hypro Studios*
~creator of Magical Arena~
current projects:a campaign(no title yet)!
ICQ member116398717
New zone name:BOTB_Phoenix Old zone name:thunderbird980

[This message has been edited by thunderbird980 (edited 11-09-2001 @ 08:28 AM).]

tribal_warrior
Squire
posted 11-09-01 11:08 AM CT (US)     19 / 483       
ok. what does everyone think of: the dark ages of europe for a setting. ALSO: of getting a website up. need your imput. also, i think the game should be completely in 3D. and also, more realistically would be to have large, very large armys. like instead of a band of 30 men being "a good sized army", how about 60 to 100. i don't know. has anyone ever played "Shogun: Total War". if you have, the you have seen large battles of sometimes thousands against thousands in a 3D world.

i can get a site up.
will post it in Modpack

das
Squire
posted 11-09-01 12:30 PM CT (US)     20 / 483       
Well, I think we could create ultimate wargame on all wars from Greek-Persian War to Afghan War, through Roman Conquests, Charles Martel's defence of France against Muslims, Crusades, Hundred Years War, War of Roses, Italian Wars (France and Spain in Rennaisance are fighting for Anjou's succession), Thirty Years War, Great Northern War, Seven Years War, War of American Independence, Napoleonic Wars, Crimean War, WWI, WWII, Arab-Israeli Conflicts (the shortest conflicts in whole history, some kind of modern blietzkrieg - "lightining war"), and many, many, MANY more!
Squire
posted 11-09-01 01:17 PM CT (US)     21 / 483       
Hey, did anyone at least turned attention to my post? First we have to create the engine and code. Then we will combine it with graphics and other things. All these scenarios and story will go into discussion during final stages. And who will create the engine/code anyway?
Aztec_Brave
Squire
posted 11-09-01 03:12 PM CT (US)     22 / 483       
Holy "****!" If something like this would be made then heavengames would no longer be just a massive gaming site. BUT! I think that this will take some time and I don't see the chances of anything good happening. I can chip in an idea though:

The game is in the middle ages (or dark ages as has already been suggested). You start with a hero and a few people. As for buildings you would have a small house of your own and a few workers. The building style would be VERY different from AOK. Here you have only a few bulidings to build BUT you can build improvements to them, improve them etc.

EG.
Small house upgrades:
+ Mill: What does a mill do? What it does in reall life.
+ Animal ranch: Breed various aniamals, the breeding can be greatly improved with further udgrades.
+ Stables: For better horse breeding, these stables set up a place for horses to go for upkeeping and in weather conditions that don't allow them to graze outside.
+ Pasture: Every pasture would give the animals a place to graze and spaces the animals out more.
+Cattle shed: Same thing as the stable, but for cattle.
+Field: Well what the heck do fields do? Duh!! There would be several to choose from.
O.k You get the upgrades thingy I hope. There IS more to this list but I need to get to other stuff now.

Of course you can hope to find neutral guys who will join/fight/ignore you. Your fame, popularity and chance will decide there actions. In time some may grow to make towns and cities, found new ones etc. The game would offer VERY advanced diplomacy and you would often see it in the form of merchants, wonderers etc.

Ther's more but I can't be bothered to post now.

svede
Squire
posted 11-09-01 03:12 PM CT (US)     23 / 483       
@falcon -i agree...

Tribal, while i continue to learn c++, i am alos currently helping to program an online game..

thanx
svede

emtilt
Squire
posted 11-09-01 03:31 PM CT (US)     24 / 483       
i have done 3d and 2d graphics and i would be willing to help with that kind of stuff as much as is needed.
tribal_warrior
Squire
posted 11-09-01 03:35 PM CT (US)     25 / 483       
a website is in its very beggining stages. we need a name. like "dreamer studios" or something. ok. the SITE WILL have pages that discuss:
-units
-buildings
-technologies
etc.
there will be a forum in it so that we can discuss more stuff. swedish republik graphic art is designing the website and the logo. (after we get a name). who knows, maybe we can get something up w/ heavengames.com.

OK- falcon. about the engine/code. we NEED someone who can offer to do that.

das- thats definitely an idea, but does anyone think it would sound like EE?

Squire
posted 11-09-01 03:48 PM CT (US)     26 / 483       
Kuulge, mis te arvate et ma teeks ühe talumehe valmis. Sellise low-polygon versiooni? Teate see niisama, nalja pärast. Oleks lahe näha et MIDAGI vähemalt tehtud on...

Oops, sorry it's Estonian...

Anyway, what do you think if I'd do at least one unit as a 3d model right now. Think it would be a simple villager, and as it is for a game, it would be low polygon... At least there would be something done from the project...

laffingdonkey
Squire
posted 11-09-01 04:00 PM CT (US)     27 / 483       
Laffing Donkey Studios programming section would be glad to host your guy's stuff (site in sig, if oyu want) . Plus I'd like to help too.

[edit]I would like to help with the engine code[/edit]

[This message has been edited by laffingdonkey (edited 11-09-2001 @ 04:03 PM).]

Aztec_Brave
Squire
posted 11-09-01 04:00 PM CT (US)     28 / 483       
I can post some more stuff up:

Units:
I think it would be interesting to create untis like in Alpha Centauri or Cavewars. Select object for one hand (Idealy weapon), for the other hand (shield, second weapon, or second part of 2 handed weapon), various armour parts (skull, torso, legs, arms, hands, neck etc.) Later on you could mount them (usualy horses but you could have donkeys available and some civs. could get camels). Apart from that you have specail units (monks, traders etc).

Buildings: Look in my old post.

Technologies:
You get guys thinking, thinking hard. These guys usually need good places to live and work. Instead of directly directing the research you would just specify a field of research and GO!

Please take these ideas into consideration. And if possible I could (maybe) join the studio.

tribal_warrior
Squire
posted 11-09-01 04:42 PM CT (US)     29 / 483       
historically accurate units: heres some ideas:

archer (obviosuly)
spearman (possibly stringer than AoK spearman. in aok, a female villager can take them down)
axeman (anti-infantry)
swordmen (basic unit)
thane (your champion)
black archer (flame arrows, have big bonus vs. buildings)
squire (scout cavalry)
knight (sword wielding mounted soldier)
heavy knight (lance wielding- see frankish paladin)
assasin (a crowssbowman with low HP's and high AP's)
thief (has the ability to steal gold from trade carts by "attacking it, won't harm it but will be BIG nuisnace to enemys)
trade carts (enemys and ally's tarde without attacking the otehr trade carts, however they can steal with thiefs)
special units:
Britons: longbowmen (more historically accurate)
Anglo: Crusader (heavy fot soldier)
Saxon: Raider (high AP's)
Jutes: Cavalier (AP's of Hvy. Knight but cost less)
Picts: Cruithne Warrior (rapid swinging swordsmen)

is this an ok unit list? you will be able to make all units (besides special of other countrys) unlike AoK where if you upgrade to champion, you can't make any more man-at-arms.

laffingdonkey
Squire
posted 11-09-01 04:45 PM CT (US)     30 / 483       
Just my two cents, I think that focusing on writing an engine should be a priority if this game is ever going to get off the drawing board. Get a good central module done first, so that ideas can be coded in easily.

Gawain
Squire
posted 11-09-01 04:52 PM CT (US)     31 / 483       
Is someone going to tell them, or shall I?

USMC
Squire
posted 11-09-01 04:54 PM CT (US)     32 / 483       
Darn you guys! These are all nice ideas and suggestions, but who are we? Rookies. How many games have we produced? Zero. Get it? We cannot create an RTS with cool RPG elements right away!

Now, about the Engine and Code stuff. Well, we certainly need a programmer, more experienced, the better. I have an idea on the engine stuff. I know that there are a lot of game engines (including editors) out on the net. Maybe we will find something very good for us there? Some of these editors are really good, and have all the doors open. What I mean is that only thing the editor will do is that he will give us his environment (3d "world" and it's engine, mainly opengl or direct3d), so we don't need advanced programmers. We need a programmer for the simple work really.

Ok, now. Could someone please get out into net and start digging for these development tools, game design programs, engines and so. Some links are here:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Games/Game_Creation_Systems / http://directory.google.com/Top/Games/Game_Design /

These links offer hundreds of these things, some freeware some not. So somebody has to search it all through...

laffingdonkey
Squire
posted 11-09-01 04:57 PM CT (US)     33 / 483       
*raises hand* I'll do it!

oh and I could set up a forum on LDS within minutes if you want.....

Squire
posted 11-09-01 04:57 PM CT (US)     34 / 483       
Another thing guys...

I would like to know if any of you own MSN Messanger, so we could chat about this thing better...

BE SURE TO READ MY PREVIOUS POST!!!

Aztec_Brave
Squire
posted 11-09-01 04:58 PM CT (US)     35 / 483       
What will us dreamers do in the meantime. Anyway I think the engine is 'just' a set of commands, the units need a LOT of thinking through, then making balancing etc.

Also about the list by Tribal warrior. Those few civs willnever be enough (Still Friggin hard to make, especially as mainly newbs. are doing this so far). We could do with guys like Goths, Vandals, Norse, Byzantines, Arabians.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 14  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames