You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.71 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Playable Age of Kings beta is Finally Here + Version History:
Bottom
Topic Subject:Playable Age of Kings beta is Finally Here + Version History:
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 03-07-06 06:30 AM CT (US)         
This page has been dedicated to the Beta & Alpha versions of Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings.

The Age of Kings Alpha/Beta Images Archive proudly opens it's doors
http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=st&fn=3&tn=36353&st=recent&f=3,36353,0,5
Please, upload your images in the archive, that you have found from the alpha or beta version from this game!

If, everything goes well, this page will grow, and grow.
It's my destiny to make the game playable for all others interrested in this game, so that the people can get a real-life experience of the beta stages of the game.

The follwing Beta versions Are playable, known, and downloadable:
version: 00.97.09.07.0222
language: Russian

Download link game files part 1:
Description: These are the bulk of the files necessary for the beta version of AoK. The graphics files are in the second part, and these are mainly the files one would need to make the game playable, which it is. The language files are in Russian, however that is easily fixed.
You will be needing WinRAR to decompress it, and it can all be extracted to any folder you like.
Version: beta Filesize: 44.78 MB
source: Whisper.net (Shadowflare's website)
Link: http://thewhisper.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=1

Download link game files part 2:
Description: These the graphics and other data files needed to complete the installation. The files are useful to modders who wish to extract the old beta graphics.
Extract these into the same folder as you put the first part, and the game can then run without trouble.
Version: beta Filesize: 52.29 MB
Link: http://thewhisper.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=2

Download link game files part 3:
These files make the game playable, and in enlish language.
Password: populous
Link: http://www.savefile.com/projects2.php?fid=8865151&pid=936375
Current versions:

1.00 - 1.C:
These are the normal versions, with minor updates.
Version 1.C, the latest patched version is the best one, with updated game funtions:
Availability:
> Official version (1.00): a bit dificult.
> Patched versions (1.A - 1.C): normal

Unknown:
Pre-Official:
This version has still the command button functions, and units from the beta's, but all icons, many graphics are nearly complete.
Availability:
Very Rare (Currently no download link available)

Uknown:
Improved Beta:
this version looks like the older beta's, but there are still many objects that look like the same as the normal AoK. many icons, and interface controls have a better look, that older beta's.
Availability:
extremly rare (Currently no download link available)

Beta: 00.97.09.07.0222:
This version is the only version available for download above here.
The game has a very cheap interface buttons set, and the complete source code looks like the one of the older age of empires 1. Almost every object has it's beta look.
Walls, gates, villagers, many trees, bamboo, fishes, and some other things look still like the current versions of AoK.
---
The older versions are unknown for us.
if all people on AoK heaven support this research in search for the lost beta's, we will get a much bigger chance to get a new beta.
I suggest people to search not only with google, but with other searching machines to, because the width of the search action will be more effective.

Any screenshot, image, documentation is welcome.

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 04-11-2006 @ 07:13 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Trisolo
Squire
(id: scenario_t_c)
posted 03-16-06 08:46 AM CT (US)     36 / 71       
SD = Scenario Design = the name of this board

And why did you register a new account?

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 03-16-2006 @ 08:49 AM).]

HGF Ancient Warr
Squire
posted 03-16-06 09:08 AM CT (US)     37 / 71       
To be honest, this is my oldest acount.
At the beginning, I didn't liked my name.
And because the ModPack discussion is viewed very poorly, I decided to post it in the best viewed board.
Also, I have found many "real size" images on the internet of this alpha vwersion, and I'm not compiling it to .slp's
Farlander
Squire
posted 03-16-06 10:15 AM CT (US)     38 / 71       

Quote:

You aren't complaining at all. I can imagine it. Uploading a game, that YOU even can't play. But don't worry. One of my friends at home is a good expert in removing game CD protections. Including yours. as you can see in my signature, I also unlocked the russian beta.

Actually, I could play it...

Here's the story. I live in Moldova. It's not far from Russia. I'm a russian myself. Anyway, piracy in the ex-USSR countries is more developed than in the west and the government rarely punishes for piracy... so, I saw a disc of Age of Kings. Thought it was released (though it wasn't at the time I saw the disc), so I bought it. And it appeared to be the beta. CAuse I have the CD and such, I could play it fine. Then I posted screens from the beta somewhere here on the site (after I found it and found out that people here want very much to see the beta). Then Jason Bishop from Wildfire games provided me the server so I could upload the game, and I did, and then he gave it to Shadowflare. I had the beta working with both the beta disc AND the normal AoK disc, so I uploaded the INSTALLED version of the beta... and I didn't have any idea at all that it wouldn't run without CD for someone... if I knew that it wouldn't work, I would upload what was on CD itself, and with some programms everyone could play without any no-CDs...

Farlander
Squire
posted 03-16-06 10:24 AM CT (US)     39 / 71       
BTW, I've got my hands on WarCraft 2 pre-release version, wanted it to upload to wildfiregames too, I've tried to upload it several times on wildfiregames, but something was wrong. Told Jason about that, but he didn't send any response... I'll try to contact him again now....
Trisolo
Squire
posted 03-17-06 00:51 AM CT (US)     40 / 71       
@Farlander

I've heard a bit about that, too. I would want to thank you once again for sharing that beta version with all of us.

@AW

Quote:

To be honest, this is my oldest acount.

01-17-2006 is earlier than 09-26-2005 ?

Quote:

And because the ModPack discussion is viewed very poorly, I decided to post it in the best viewed board.

I don't think that is a good enough reason though.

No matter what, you should use your original account to edit the main thread and add the source information ASAP.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 03-17-2006 @ 00:52 AM).]

azure skies
Squire
(id: ThUnDeR77)
posted 03-17-06 01:30 AM CT (US)     41 / 71       
Lol. Thank God they got rid of the "Shhh WHHOO" noise. Thats annoying as HELL.

Gosh, the graphics bite.
*winces*

[This message has been edited by Thunder77 (edited 03-17-2006 @ 04:14 AM).]

PaulC2001
Squire
posted 03-17-06 03:51 AM CT (US)     42 / 71       
My comp tells me I'm not compatable with directdraw, whatever that is. I tried using the windows 98 compatability settings, but no.
azure skies
Squire
posted 03-17-06 04:51 AM CT (US)     43 / 71       
Here are some that I found.
(Im going to edit and add more as I find them)

Idk, I thought this was kinda funny because 1. all of the gates 2. cav archers trapped in pally walls (pointless...) 3. the language at the top 4. tiny resolution 5. command buttons by the minimap are beta-like 6. the tiny forage bushes. [JPEG, (113.92 KB)]

Is it just me, or do the turtle ships look weird? [JPEG, (145.37 KB)]

Hard to see. But the horsemen are obvious. [JPEG, (71.73 KB)]

That same weird asian beta! Tiny resolution, beta-like command buttons. If you'll notice, the proportions suck. Look at the trade cart and the market/watch tower, female villager and the horse in the stable, etc.

Have these been posted? I dunno. This first one looks almost official, except the archers, tower, gate, house, and resource images.
[JPEG, (103.10 KB)]
[JPEG, (111.02 KB)]
(Sidenote-If you play with the url and change the 0029.jpg to lower 20 numbers, you'll run into some D2 pics. )

This one is hard to see... and rather... uh confusing.

Wtf @ water?!

I like these ones because their graphics are... consistant? I believe these are alphas as well.
[JPEG, (259.27 KB)]
[JPEG, (244.28 KB)]

OT, but heres a gallery of the new DS game. Or is it for a PHONE? Why else would the screen be shaped like that and be called "AoK Mobile"... and have you press numbers for selections? IM CONFUSED.

PS-
WTF?

[This message has been edited by Thunder77 (edited 03-17-2006 @ 05:32 AM).]

Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 03-17-06 07:54 AM CT (US)     44 / 71       
@ Thunder77:
> Some images are of the official alpha, others are the versions of other countries, and some are MOD's, te one with the strange knights is the pre release, and some others ???
Also, thanks for you submission.

@TC:
Hey yes! Your'e right! my first talk here, was in the frame number and Graphics resources topic.

Trisolo
Squire
posted 03-17-06 08:21 AM CT (US)     45 / 71       
@Thunder

I have that PS2 version. The graphic is resized and super ugly(not to mention very difficult to play).

DS, mobile and PS2 version were on news before.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 03-17-2006 @ 08:23 AM).]

azure skies
Squire
posted 03-17-06 04:01 PM CT (US)     46 / 71       
Lolz, sorry for looking like a moron. I only knew about the DS one, not about PS2 and mobile. Watev, I <3 my compy AoK and have no reason to cheat on it

The ones I found most interesting were the alphas3, the first beta one I posted1, and one of the first ones I posted with the caption about the obvious horsemen2.

1Theres a couple of things: the screenshot is obviously set up with the scenario editor (torch, resources), and the age that it is in.

2It has everything new in it except horsemen. Official bomby cannons and trebs, but beta horsemen. Weird.

3I thought maybe the alpha watch towers are the official Tower of the Flies and The Accursed Tower. Maybe not, since the scenario looks rather... "set up".

I also like how on the alpha and betas, the food symbol is an ear of corn.

[This message has been edited by Thunder77 (edited 03-17-2006 @ 04:17 PM).]

WhiteTreePaladin
Squire
posted 03-18-06 08:30 AM CT (US)     47 / 71       

Quoted from Thunder77:

I also like how on the alpha and betas, the food symbol is an ear of corn.

Some of the beta objects are still in the game and visible only with Modpack Studio. The status bar with the ear of corn is one of them.

-WTP-

Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 03-26-06 06:21 AM CT (US)     48 / 71       
@ Thunder77:
When I looked better to the images, I saw that there were big changes.
Take the Asian one as a example:
They have changed all interface buttons, and also the source code!
Those guys know realy much about this game.

@ All:
Do you know that most slp ID numbers of many interface resources are located in the executable?!
Trying to find the unit icons slp ID number: convert 50730 to a heximal "Long" and searchit in the executable. Changeing this number will have the effect that all units get other icons. Try setting it to 50709! all units will have building icons.
Enjoy experimenting!

@ Oliver:
How do you mean that you have abandoned me?!

Trisolo
Squire
posted 03-26-06 06:41 AM CT (US)     49 / 71       
@AW

Quote:

When I looked better to the images, I saw that there were big changes.
Take the Asian one as a example:
They have changed all interface buttons, and also the source code!
Those guys know realy much about this game.

I am an Asian, and I don't see those changes in the PC version game I'm playing. Those Japanese pics are displaying the game on another platform.

Quote:

Trying to find the unit icons slp ID number: convert 50730 to a heximal "Long" and searchit in the executable. Changeing this number will have the effect that all units get other icons. Try setting it to 50709! all units will have building icons.

Doing it with GeniED2 or MPS would be even easier, IMO.

Quote:

How do you mean that you have abandoned me?!

He was making a joke and he was referring to the whole offical-release-version-scenario-designing-community by "you all" instead of yourself.

Member of Tsunami Studios
Scenario T.C.: “Yes, the traitors can’t be terminated.”
Richard Ames: “Scenario_t_c should take care of them in a succinct but humorous fashion.”
Don Jorge de Leon: “Ave Trisolo! Vive Trisolo!”

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 03-26-2006 @ 06:46 AM).]

The X King
Squire
posted 03-26-06 07:03 AM CT (US)     50 / 71       
Yes, scenario_t_C is right. It's the japanese version of age of kings for the ps2. ( if you want to get it from amazon try this link: http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005Y6QC/qid=1143374148/sr=8-12/ref=sr _8_xs_ap_i12_xgl14/250-4065736-3168224 , but it isn't really worth, the ps2 version sucks and you can get it probably in your language too) All the icons have been resized/changed because the ps2 cannot display high resolutions.

Edited content: We cannot encourage, discuss, link to, or post in support of activities, methods, and/or techniques involving software piracy. It is only by my consideration of your otherwise responsible conduct that your account is not banned.- Anastasia

Anyway, for beginners this is the best way instead of letting them search for themselves on the way trough virus-infected homepages

~~~Member and Admin at DGDN~~~
Beta Asian Monastery Mod 4.5 | Old Stone 4.5 | Sacred Entrance Mod 5.0 | Stonehenge Mod 4.5 | Weapon Stack Mod 4.5
Battle of Mayapan 4.0 | The Paladin of Destiny 4.2
'Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.'

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 03-27-2006 @ 09:24 AM).]

Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 04-03-06 05:44 AM CT (US)     51 / 71       
@ The X King:
I can't read this language.

@All:
Thanks to PHATFISH, I'm now making the alpha version landscape.
I'm now cutting in his images, thanks to this, I can make now .slp's for the alpha version.
I mean with that cutting: edit it in paint shop pro.

Trisolo
Squire
posted 04-03-06 06:37 AM CT (US)     52 / 71       
That language is Japanese.

Richard Ames: “Scenario_t_c should take care of them in a succinct but humorous fashion.”
Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 04-03-06 07:01 AM CT (US)     53 / 71       
Thanks TC.
Hey, isn't this that site where that Banned member talked about?!

Also, What's changed in your newest version of geniedt?

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 04-03-2006 @ 07:02 AM).]

Trisolo
Squire
posted 04-03-06 08:11 AM CT (US)     54 / 71       

Quote:

Hey, isn't this that site where that Banned member talked about?!

I have no idea who the banned member is.

Quote:

Also, What's changed in your newest version of geniedt?

which version are you referring to? I thought I always write the new function next to the download link, although I am writing one.....(don't tell me you hacked into my computer and stole it)

Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 04-03-06 08:41 AM CT (US)     55 / 71       
to be honest, I know very much about computers, but I never hacked! (I even don't know HOW to do it) Also, I would never do something that's such horrible!

And the guy I meaned was: Holy Knightcs

EDIT:
Hey, Did you told that you were writing a new version of geniedt?
Did you discovered new stats or something?!
or are you buzzy with writing a wizard program that let make you step by step a new unit.

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 04-03-2006 @ 08:44 AM).]

Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 04-04-06 06:34 AM CT (US)     56 / 71       
Farlander
Squire
posted 04-04-06 07:06 AM CT (US)     57 / 71       
Hey, guys. I was searching for some older beta version... found on one russian site what they said was the beta, though after I dled it I found out that in reality it was normal AoK with voices and videos chopped out... darn...

Btw, doesn't anybody find that many things in this current beta we have are a lot cooler than what we have in AoK now? Like the ships, for example...

Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 04-04-06 07:08 AM CT (US)     58 / 71       
Hey guy: Try http://aokisle.de/aokisle1/!!!
Download: (ensemble studios wallpaper)
http://aokisle.de/aokisle1/banners.zip
animations:
http://aokisle.de/aokisle1/animgifs.zip

more images&files:

@Farlander :
I'm now going to make new slp's from the images I got.
Can you get more. ("real-size" images are even better for making slp's you know )

Try the Site:
http://www.agearena.de/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 04-04-2006 @ 07:33 AM).]

Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 04-05-06 05:12 AM CT (US)     59 / 71       
@ Farlander:
Check your e-mail or whatever it is called.
Farlander
Squire
posted 04-06-06 07:00 AM CT (US)     60 / 71       
An interesting screen I found....

Just look at the pond in the middle! http://icontact.chat.ru/rts/aoe22max.jpg

Edit: you know what, I saw many screens that were putted on this thread.... which could be found all over the internet. And I have one question... why, oh why, they remade (and made worse) such nice graphics?! I mean, early AoK screens are better than the AoK nowadays...

Edit 2: some other screens I found (dunno if they've been posted here alreay, I didn't look through all the screens in this thread)

http://www.gameland.ru//magazine/si/023/096b/1.jpg
http://www.gameland.ru//magazine/si/023/096b/2.jpg
http://www.gameland.ru//magazine/si/023/096b/3.jpg
http://www.gameland.ru//magazine/si/023/096b/4.jpg

They were taken from this preview: http://www.gameland.ru//magazine/si/023/096b/1.asp

Well, this is a russian preview, but, there are some interesting things. There were intended FIVE resources. Not only food, wood, gold and stone, but ore too. And, gold wasn't meant to be gathered with villagers like stone, for example, but... it would be given to us by the computer for our civilization's different succeses during the game.

[This message has been edited by Farlander (edited 04-06-2006 @ 07:25 AM).]

Farlander
Squire
posted 04-06-06 08:08 AM CT (US)     61 / 71       
I found another old preview (of the same gaming magazine), here: http://www.gameland.ru/magazine/si/033/014/1.asp

First, link to screenies from this preview:

[JPEG, (166.32 KB)]
[JPEG, (163.55 KB)]

Second, here's what Age of Kings could be like... if it was released earlier in a form of alpha\beta (now I'll list only what we didn't see in current AoK...) Almost each civilization would be unique... for example, mongol's bases would consist of many different yurts which could be packed and transported to some other place, some could capture enemy buildings, capture villagers and take them as slaves... there were more then 150 available technologies, but they weren't cheap, meaning that player needed to research only what he needed the most. Gold was gathered not as we gather it now, but as taxes from villagers and trade. Trade was far more advanced. Trade routes could be made, something like global trade was available, and also there could be concurents in trade, and much more. All nature would regenerate. Trees would grow again, if we won't kill all the deers on the map, for example, new ones will be born, farms wouldn't be exhausted, just there's a matter of harvest there. Also, what was written in that preview.... fire could... spawn to other buildings! Not only fire would slowly destroy the damaged building, but it could transfer to other buildings if not repaired by villagers quickly! Also some spies or something were planned, which could sneak into enemy base and set a building on fire... (as far as I understand that spy thing transformed into petard of current AoK). Also, in that preview was written that Ensemble was thinking to raise player limit from 8 to 16....

So... what can I say? I suppose ensemble should've worked on AoK a year more and release a ****ing great game... I mean, what was written in that preview can be called even better than AoM and AoEIII!!!

[This message has been edited by Farlander (edited 04-06-2006 @ 08:37 AM).]

Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 04-07-06 05:15 AM CT (US)     62 / 71       
I don't know how I can thank you!!!!! Farlander!!!
Those images are "True size" images that allow us to create our own slp's!!!!
You, and PHATFISH get a royal place on my list!
With your images, I can make some buildings, and some of the landscape slp's

Also, looking at the names of the pictures allow us to use more searching words!
Any other image or animation is welcome!

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 04-07-2006 @ 05:22 AM).]

rofl
Squire
(id: SonicShadow)
posted 04-07-06 05:53 PM CT (US)     63 / 71       
The third download link, the one for "part 3", seems to require a password to download. Is that intentional?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 04-08-06 07:13 AM CT (US)     64 / 71       
The password is: populous
rofl
Squire
(id: SonicShadow)
posted 04-10-06 09:26 PM CT (US)     65 / 71       
Sorry if I missed it, but if it isn't anywhere earlier in the thread, would you consider sticking the password up by the download link?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ancient Warrior
Squire
posted 04-11-06 07:14 AM CT (US)     66 / 71       
I have added the password to the topic!
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 04-11-06 10:01 AM CT (US)     67 / 71       

Quote:

You, and PHATFISH get a royal place on my list!

What list? Royal?

HGF Ancient Warr
Squire
posted 04-12-06 06:19 AM CT (US)     68 / 71       
Of course, there is no real list.
I mean, that you, and that other one did something great for me.
When I say this, take it as a compliment.
mindyber
Squire
posted 04-21-06 04:00 PM CT (US)     69 / 71       
Hey Ancient Warrior, i was wondering if you happen to have these old farms,water,slinger,or sand in it? Heres the URL:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1173774/OldAoEII.jpg

Has anyone been to this site? It talks about the early developement of AoEII and has pictures of some character they made in 3D Studio Max. Check it out.

URL:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000307/pritchard_01.htm

Mindyber

[This message has been edited by mindyber (edited 04-21-2006 @ 07:23 PM).]

The X King
Squire
posted 04-26-06 01:25 PM CT (US)     70 / 71       
samari_tycoon
Squire
posted 04-28-06 10:15 PM CT (US)     71 / 71       
I got a question. Is there any way to get these buildings and units into a mod Pack?

Only the good guys win...
Not because they nice but because they get to write it down in the books.

In other news check out this my first sig add...
Its to good old uh, halo the conquerers forums, if you like halo, and you like AoK then go on down!!

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames