You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2962 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Your works of art.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Your works of art.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 48 49 50 51 52 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 85  Next Page »
Pitt_Man
Squire
(id: Dark_Reign)
posted 08-09-13 07:15 AM CT (US)         

We all love AoC. Why else would we be here? Why else would you be reading this thread?
With the seemingly less projects dominating the 1st page of SD&M, whether it be your work is not far along enough to post in the "Current Projects" thread, or even to have a thread of its' own. Why not give us a snippet of what you're working on?! Campaigns, Scenarios, Mods, anything!

It could be your big project, a side project, if you're just kicking back playing an RM or MP game or your favourite Campaign.
Even just messing around in the editor or Poser? I would love to see your raw works, or what you're up to in the world of AoC. Think of it as an "Instagram" for Age of Empires.

Take a screenshot of whatever you're working on (or playing with) in the editor or modding program, and share it with the community. No editing required to get rid of the editor's menu or your cursor, no theme, no voting. Just the sharing of...
Your works of art.

Need a place to host your images?
No registration needed-
Image Host+Imgur+Tiny Pic

Registration needed-
Image Shack+Photo Bucket+Flickr

Enjoy!

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         

[This message has been edited by Dead_End (edited 04-27-2016 @ 12:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Mash
Huskarl
(id: Mashek)
posted 08-05-16 03:59 AM CT (US)     1716 / 2962       
One thing I like in particular is the care that you've taken to place the units in starting positions where unit outlines are avoided, a definite improvement over the previous version.
Yeah, that always annoyed me but I was too lazy to do anything about it. I'll update the file shortly with the newer version.

[This message has been edited by Mash (edited 08-05-2016 @ 04:33 AM).]

Charging_Knight
Squire
posted 08-15-16 11:43 AM CT (US)     1717 / 2962       
Hey guys, a screenshot of my idyllic waterfall-river scene from AOK:HD-AK. Tell me what you think?

Domus Dulcis Domus --- Home Sweet Home...ZzZzZzZzZ
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-15-16 12:07 PM CT (US)     1718 / 2962       
It looks very nice. I particularly like the blend of modded graphics with vanilla ones - it creates a result that is actually quite complementary

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1
Lilthbehr
Squire
(id: Lildbehr)
posted 08-15-16 01:12 PM CT (US)     1719 / 2962       
I love those pine trees, who made them?

AN EVIL TONGUE IS A MAN'S BANE.
(The above poster is right, did you know that?)
Proud associate of Monsoon Studios
Eurotool
Hero
posted 08-15-16 01:40 PM CT (US)     1720 / 2962       
That's a wonderful screenshot! I like the bushes hanging around the river, the animals and all. It's a great mix of conifers and leafy trees, reminds me of the forests we have around here.

Knaber
Squire
posted 08-16-16 01:07 AM CT (US)     1721 / 2962       
@jernside & Mash: Looks really nice both of you!
Stryder90
Squire
posted 08-17-16 08:12 AM CT (US)     1722 / 2962       
Hello, I've been lurking the forum for a long time but (almost) never posted. Since I recently picked up a project I started years ago (this time I hope to finish it ), I wanted to share it with you guys to get some criticism on how to improve.

It's my own version of the siege of Helm's Deep (I know, booooring), I was never really satisfied with the design of the LoTR scenarios you can find online so I decided to create one my own, trying to stay as much faithful as possible to the movies, for a more cinematic experience. I started from scratch many times, but this time I'm quite happy with the result.

Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn keep watch on the Deeping Wall

King Theoden and Gamling walk on the battlements of the keep

The Horn of Helm Hammerhand

The Hornburg

The Deeping Wall is destroyed (yay, triggers!!)

The scenario will feature a morale system, a ladder-based invasion for the assault on the Wall, the possibility for heroes to set up barricades in key position to hold off the uruks and some cinematic events... I hope you liked this small preview, let me know what you think!
Jan dc
Squire
(id: Den cekke)
posted 08-22-16 06:47 AM CT (US)     1723 / 2962       

Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 08-22-16 08:48 AM CT (US)     1724 / 2962       
Looks a little oversized but otherwise a great unit.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
Jan dc
Squire
posted 08-23-16 09:55 AM CT (US)     1725 / 2962       
I'll have to compare it to other units but I can image why'd you think that because of the thick armor. It can be easily fixed though, just need to change one number and render it again.
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 08-23-16 12:04 PM CT (US)     1726 / 2962       
I'm going more by the height actually.

The helmet is very cool. Nice to see you can still make out the unique visor shape on aok scale.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
Charging_Knight
Squire
posted 08-26-16 10:22 PM CT (US)     1727 / 2962       
Hi Stryder, I'm assuming you are using the AOK:AfK edition. I saw that you have very interesting blue shoreless shallows in your scenario screenshot of Helms Deep. I know there was a series of mods with the lighter greenish-blue water mod but these were not compatible and became unusable legacy mods. Any idea where I can get them again? And if you know who implemented them in the Workshop?

Stryder90
Squire
posted 08-27-16 07:32 PM CT (US)     1728 / 2962       
Just a small update, I heavily tweaked the map layout and started working on the trigger part.

The Hornburg and the Glittering Caves

King Théoden reinforcing the main gate

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli defend the Wall
Hi Stryder, I'm assuming you are using the AOK:AfK edition. I saw that you have very interesting blue shoreless shallows in your scenario screenshot of Helms Deep. I know there was a series of mods with the lighter greenish-blue water mod but these were not compatible and became unusable legacy mods. Any idea where I can get them again? And if you know who implemented them in the Workshop?
I'm currently using the HD Textures and graphics pack by Emetann, with textures coming from various artists and compilations. It uses the light water texture you are looking for.

[This message has been edited by Stryder90 (edited 08-27-2016 @ 07:34 PM).]

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-27-16 09:43 PM CT (US)     1729 / 2962       
That's a very creative use of the stelae object.

Tarsiz
Squire
posted 08-29-16 03:03 PM CT (US)     1730 / 2962       
Back to AoE after quite a long time off the game... But great games never get old fashioned, so you return to them eventually. Lost my CD though, so I had to get the "HD" edition on Steam. It has some nice improvements, the water looks a bit enhanced in my opinion and it's also cool to have it widescreen. I've been playing around with the editor, lots of new stuff I'd never heard of before. The waterfall looks nice though, but I still kind of miss my good old AOK editor

Some stuff:

A remote village

A camp in the wilderness

A fortified city

Villages in the fjords

An imperial capital

I've been playing a bunch of games in my life, mostly RPG and RTS. But none of them had an editor both powerful and easy to use as AOE II's toolset...

[This message has been edited by Tarsiz (edited 08-29-2016 @ 03:05 PM).]

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-29-16 03:54 PM CT (US)     1731 / 2962       
Those are some very solid screenshots. You've clearly got quite a good handle on terrain mixing and building and object placement

One word of critique, or, rather, advice that I would give you is to be a bit more judicious with your use of the dead farm terrain. You usually want it to be surrounded by dirt 1 or road terrains in order to mask the sharp square edges that you otherwise get where it meets the neighboring tiles (look, for example, at the dead farm tiles in the 'villages in the fjords' screenshot). Even then, some dead farm tiles are too dark and pronounced to blend well with the dirt 1 or road terrains (those in the 'a remote village' screenshot, for example). When you run into terrain generations such as these, just try shifting the dead farm onto an adjacent tile and see if it blends better. It's a bit of a trial-and-error process.

You've got a lot of great stuff going on here, though. I look forward to seeing more of your work, and welcome back!

Tarsiz
Squire
posted 08-29-16 04:05 PM CT (US)     1732 / 2962       
You are right. It does seem a bit out of place on the first screenshot, which makes sense since it was the first one I made, and I wanted to try this new terrain. I think I used it a bit more carefully on the third screen. Actually I think only dirt 1 works well with it since there seems to be no way to overlap its sharp edges. I will try to fix it!

Thank your for the feedback, and I'll definitely post more screens
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-29-16 05:49 PM CT (US)     1733 / 2962       
Here's an example of what I was talking about when I mentioned mixing it with road terrains as well, if you're interested.

Andanu Trisatya
Squire
posted 08-31-16 06:13 AM CT (US)     1734 / 2962       
Wonder who was the first designer to incorporate dead farm tiles as part of dirt/path map design... I reckon it's Julius?

████████
████████
/\NDANU TRISATY/\
The Least Skilled Member of StormWind Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-31-16 07:19 AM CT (US)     1735 / 2962       
I think so. One in a rather extensive list of impressive innovations that he's brought to AoK scenario designing

Mash
Huskarl
posted 09-02-16 05:25 PM CT (US)     1736 / 2962       
Julius999
Imposter
posted 09-02-16 05:57 PM CT (US)     1737 / 2962       
I don't remember copying it from anyone, but it was quite a long time ago.
One in a rather extensive list of impressive innovations that he's brought to AoK scenario designing
An extensive list of finicky map tweaks, maybe. I like to think I've made the threshold of good map design at least 5% more annoying to achieve.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 09-02-16 05:59 PM CT (US)     1738 / 2962       
Yeah, I copied Julius. I suspect many other did as well!
I think it would be fair to say that dead farm usage is not the only aspect of scenario design to which the above statement applies, honestly.
I like to think I've made the threshold of good map design at least 5% more annoying to achieve.
A gross understatement, I daresay

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 09-02-2016 @ 06:01 PM).]

Mahazona
Squire
posted 09-03-16 06:37 AM CT (US)     1739 / 2962       
Nice unit jan.
Jan dc
Squire
posted 09-03-16 03:11 PM CT (US)     1740 / 2962       
Thank you Mahazona.
Mash
Huskarl
posted 09-04-16 07:45 AM CT (US)     1741 / 2962       
I think it would be fair to say that dead farm usage is not the only aspect of scenario design to which the above statement applies, honestly.
Map copying you jest?
oliver
Squire
posted 09-10-16 07:05 AM CT (US)     1742 / 2962       
Does anybody remember Ana's Japan-inspired Pretty Town map? I remember being deeply impressed by it. It ostensibly went contrary to many of my generation's ideas of good map design. Pure hills of grass 2, pure shallow water, extensive map copy, repetitive trees ... and so beautiful.

Reason I thought of it was being busy organising creative material from the past ~15 years. Not all AoK things are there, but the main ones are. Played L&T this spring, main issue was balance. Can't vouch for the stability of the .dat files either – ah, meh, nevermind, here's a 9 year old screenshot for old time's sake.

EDIT: My God ... it's an unanimated gif! Talk about nostalgia.

[This message has been edited by oliver (edited 09-10-2016 @ 06:38 PM).]

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 09-10-16 07:40 AM CT (US)     1743 / 2962       
The image doesn't show...perhaps the link has an error?

Re the Japanese pretty town map, you're referring to Dragonfly, right? I haven't opened it in a while, but what I distinctly remember about it is, as you mentioned, the degree of innovation that was present in a design that truly exemplified the notion of thinking outside the box, at least for its time.

oliver
Squire
posted 09-10-16 06:47 PM CT (US)     1744 / 2962       
Right, sorry, should work now!

Yes, Dragonfly, that's the name. I think the first impression of a map is very important. If there is something in the design, in the presentation, in the story or the exposition or the initial gameplay, that sets it apart from what you've seen before (in a positive way), then minor errors can easily be forgiven. Game making, even with limited technology, was actually a bit of foundation for me in the years after "design" came to mean activity in other fields of art.
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 09-11-16 08:38 AM CT (US)     1745 / 2962       
I can see it now. The way the armies are arrayed in that image is perhaps one of the most organic and intriguing representations of such a scene in AoK, and the cliff piece adds a lot of flavor to an already vibrant aesthetic. I absolutely love the scene
I think the first impression of a map is very important. If there is something in the design, in the presentation, in the story or the exposition or the initial gameplay, that sets it apart from what you've seen before (in a positive way), then minor errors can easily be forgiven. Game making, even with limited technology, was actually a bit of foundation for me in the years after "design" came to mean activity in other fields of art.
I definitely agree. I tried to achieve something similar in my entry to the contest that is currently running, by opening the scenario with a brief cutscene showcasing the design style that I was trying out for that map and setting the stage for the action without dragging on too long. If you can grab the player's attention in a positive manner right from the start, they tend to be more invested in the whole of the scenario, but it's a tricky balance to strike.

Mash
Huskarl
posted 09-13-16 04:58 PM CT (US)     1746 / 2962       
I do remember when you released that screenshot oliver! Good times and good to see you still around.
Charging_Knight
Squire
posted 09-16-16 04:53 AM CT (US)     1747 / 2962       
My screenshot of the bustling Italian city of Ancona as it gears up for war in a grand alliance with Genoa against the Republic of Venice (ongoing designing). Views?

(edited image)

[This message has been edited by Charging_Knight (edited 09-17-2016 @ 02:06 AM).]

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 09-16-16 12:53 PM CT (US)     1748 / 2962       
Nice design. My one suggestion is to slightly reposition certain objects (the lumbercamp and some ships in particular) to avoid the unsightly outlines that appear when they are placed behind buildings.

Schwarz_Lizard
Squire
posted 09-18-16 05:24 AM CT (US)     1749 / 2962       
Some screens from a scenario that will probably never be released. A horror RPG where you wake up in the woods in the middle of the night and have to figure out what happened, how did you got there and more importantly, how to get home. Things get more and more weird and the situation is dire, as you find secrets that no man should know, will you survive?

The dark forest is a true labyrinth.

Who knows what dangerous creatures lurk in those swamps

If you have been brave enough to visit certain caves, the sulfur vapors will soon choke you to death or even worse

The desolate, pale plains seem to never end, are you damned to wander aimlessly forever?

You may be lucky to find others, but they are rather silent and will often ignore some questions... what do they have to hide?

Foolish are those who dare to disturb the burial sites of the dead, as those who died can't die again.

Will you overcome the wonders and horrors of the Granite City? Or will you be driven insane?

[This message has been edited by Schwarz_Lizard (edited 09-18-2016 @ 05:25 AM).]

Devious Dev
Official Professional Qualified Noob
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
posted 09-18-16 07:08 AM CT (US)     1750 / 2962       
Love them all except the last three. Too many of the same objects pasted everywhere.

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 48 49 50 51 52 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 85  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames