You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2962 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Your works of art.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Your works of art.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 68 69 70 71 72 ··· 80 ··· 85  Next Page »
Pitt_Man
Squire
(id: Dark_Reign)
posted 08-09-13 07:15 AM CT (US)         

We all love AoC. Why else would we be here? Why else would you be reading this thread?
With the seemingly less projects dominating the 1st page of SD&M, whether it be your work is not far along enough to post in the "Current Projects" thread, or even to have a thread of its' own. Why not give us a snippet of what you're working on?! Campaigns, Scenarios, Mods, anything!

It could be your big project, a side project, if you're just kicking back playing an RM or MP game or your favourite Campaign.
Even just messing around in the editor or Poser? I would love to see your raw works, or what you're up to in the world of AoC. Think of it as an "Instagram" for Age of Empires.

Take a screenshot of whatever you're working on (or playing with) in the editor or modding program, and share it with the community. No editing required to get rid of the editor's menu or your cursor, no theme, no voting. Just the sharing of...
Your works of art.

Need a place to host your images?
No registration needed-
Image Host+Imgur+Tiny Pic

Registration needed-
Image Shack+Photo Bucket+Flickr

Enjoy!

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         

[This message has been edited by Dead_End (edited 04-27-2016 @ 12:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Mithril Knight
Squire
posted 08-01-17 09:34 PM CT (US)     2416 / 2962       
Doodling some Polish village/town thing, work-in-progress. I made this composite image to show what I've got mostly.

Tips appreciated, although keep in mind this is the player's town.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 08-01-2017 @ 09:35 PM).]

Mike Oxhard
Squire
(id: Arnas)
posted 08-02-17 07:27 AM CT (US)     2417 / 2962       
A scenario about Poland?! Hyped

I really like the UP and thought I'd mess with the editor and effects after like a year of hiatus. Hopefully my map design skills haven't deteriorated...

Here's a small Hillfort receiving war refugees at night.

[This message has been edited by Mike Oxhard (edited 08-02-2017 @ 07:28 AM).]

Cataphract887
Squire
posted 08-02-17 07:36 AM CT (US)     2418 / 2962       
Mithril knight, thats already a good start. I had some ideas from your request so i hope you dont mind if i put them in a screenshot too.

1.I used the magyar fix mod, but maybe you prefer "vanilla"?
2.Expand and unify the road networks a bit more with some dirt1. Like below the TC it could be connected with a narrow strip instead of being separated completely. What i made was maybe excessive, could be toned with with some dirt2\3 on its edges
3.Add more pine trees and bushes around the town, i tried to tuck them in so hopefully the player could navigate in the B&D still
4.There was a unused open space behind the blacksmith. I put some dirt1 there and a lumberpile. Maybe a little detail or two around like that would be nice
5.Add elevations, i made some little depressions and also some hills to the north and left of town.
6.My lumbercamp is stupidly placed
7.Not using any off grid placement, especially in a HD player owned B&D town.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 08-02-2017 @ 07:58 AM).]

Lilthbehr
Squire
(id: Lildbehr)
posted 08-02-17 12:45 PM CT (US)     2419 / 2962       
A scenario about Poland?! Hyped!
Arnas, you haven't written on the forum for a year... does this mean you are coming back? Or are you sticking to the skype chat?

AN EVIL TONGUE IS A MAN'S BANE.
(The above poster is right, did you know that?)
Proud associate of Monsoon Studios
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
(id: Great_Artiste)
posted 08-02-17 01:39 PM CT (US)     2420 / 2962       
Cata I was wondering, have you ever released a work, besides the two projects you have? I mean such a skilled map designer and player and so on and so on...

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 08-02-17 02:09 PM CT (US)     2421 / 2962       
Its not easy to actually finish something with a well written story, complex triggers, proper AI support, and overall good game design. Much respect to those who can

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-02-17 02:47 PM CT (US)     2422 / 2962       
I agree

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

Mithril Knight
Squire
posted 08-02-17 04:15 PM CT (US)     2423 / 2962       
Thanks for the tips, Cataphract.

I really like the Improved Magyar Architecture Mod, but I don't use it because I design strictly Vanilla, so as to not design with mods distorting my perception of the actual thing.

I did some tweaks and connected the grassy portion in front of the Town Center while I finished the surrounding area, but I need to work on it some more. As for elevation, I like to make elevations that more of less adjust to the real topography of the region. It's really an excuse to go light on elevation for nice building spaces, but yeah.

Anyways, here's another picture of the same area. This is how the mine actually looks like. It's a pretty new excavation.

Edit:
A scenario about Poland?! Hyped
Yeah. I don't see many of those, so I thought why not? It's a little sad that Poland is easily forgotten despite it's importance in the late Middle Ages, although it's understandable once you look up its history, as the country was constantly disintegrating after the rule of one or two kings since the kingdom was first established and, of course, they have no real representation in the game either. The Magyars are similar but have some big differences too, the Teutons are the same but with the wrong architecture, and the Slavs represent the Southern and Eastern Slavs much better than the Western ones.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 08-02-2017 @ 04:29 PM).]

Mike Oxhard
Squire
posted 08-02-17 04:26 PM CT (US)     2424 / 2962       
Arnas, you haven't written on the forum for a year... does this mean you are coming back? Or are you sticking to the skype chat?
It's been a whole year? Wow.
What I've learned from my time here is never make ambitious promises because they tend to not be immune to changing. Well, at least that's the case for me. As of now I'll try to learn some new tricks and whatnot that could potentially enhance scenario enjoyability. And if everything goes well maybe I'll craft something. Who knows.

Tl;dr: not sure

Cataphract887
Squire
posted 08-02-17 05:01 PM CT (US)     2425 / 2962       
Thanks for the tips, Cataphract
Yeah, i kind of got some ideas there when i saw your picture and couldnt resist the urge to make a screenshot. Your points entirely make sense there. Im interested to see a Poland scenario as well actually, i play EU4 and they dominate the region for quite some time with their hussars.

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 08-02-2017 @ 09:56 PM).]

Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 08-02-17 09:13 PM CT (US)     2426 / 2962       
Tl;dr: not sure
Shut up and just come back. I'll be less mean this time.

Sam is seraph now and he will ban me if I bully people. Or egg me on, too early to tell. In the meantime I have to behave.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
Mike Oxhard
Squire
posted 08-03-17 03:23 AM CT (US)     2427 / 2962       
Shut up and just come back. I'll be less mean this time.
Lol. I'm not that noobish to quit after a few rounds of criticism. But gotta say, an idea of a comeback is more temting after hearing such words from you.

[This message has been edited by Mike Oxhard (edited 08-03-2017 @ 03:25 AM).]

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-03-17 01:10 PM CT (US)     2428 / 2962       
Its not easy to actually finish something with a well written story, complex triggers, proper AI support, and overall good game design. Much respect to those who can
You might wish to team up? *winkwink*

Cataphract887
Squire
posted 08-03-17 02:34 PM CT (US)     2429 / 2962       
Im satisfied with making showcase style maps on my own for now

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-03-17 02:47 PM CT (US)     2430 / 2962       
Understood. The door remain open for some other time, just knock before entering please

Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 08-03-17 02:48 PM CT (US)     2431 / 2962       
So I'm debating very hard whether I should tie my PTC entry into a story which would continue in another campaign. Thoughts?

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-03-17 02:51 PM CT (US)     2432 / 2962       
Aren't you notorious for not completing a single thing since "that dawn stuff"?

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 08-03-2017 @ 02:55 PM).]

Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 08-03-17 03:08 PM CT (US)     2433 / 2962       
That is a falsely earned notoriety. Allow me to reeducate you son :P

I completed the Quiet Dawn Part 1, and BJ gets credit for sabato despite never finishing his trilogy.

I completed a PTC entry and a cut scene entry. Both were standalone.

My first scenario was also standalone.

Tales of Middle Earth isnt finished. But then it is also massive, and its not exactly out of the question it could be finished this year. Also, the beta was finished and was quite popular.

Then there are the many individual graphics I have made for other mods and scenarios that were finished.

So you see, it is all basically a lie spread by Julius. One should ask him about Shadows after Sunset. Or perhaps the Merchant, a sws team project that was never released. And I am the only one who wasnt involved lol.

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-04-17 00:39 AM CT (US)     2434 / 2962       
Thank you, teacher *kneels*

Now allow me to apologize for the words of a snake from my mouth, oh the greatest. Follow your magnificent plan and create a campaign mortals shall love and designers fear.

Also note a tongue smiley next to my text.

Cataphract887
Squire
posted 08-04-17 02:26 AM CT (US)     2435 / 2962       
So I'm debating very hard whether I should tie my PTC entry into a story which would continue in another campaign. Thoughts?
Interesting idea. But why not revisit it in earnest after the contest to avoid extra work now? Then you can include it in the campaign with extras that wouldnt fit in with the contest rules.

Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 08-04-17 06:55 AM CT (US)     2436 / 2962       
Also note a tongue smiley next to my text.
You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here?

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-04-17 06:59 AM CT (US)     2437 / 2962       
I'm about to lick...floor in front of your divine figure

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-04-17 08:43 AM CT (US)     2438 / 2962       
You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here?
I just burst out laughing in the middle of a library.

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-04-17 11:24 AM CT (US)     2439 / 2962       
As long as the librarian wasn't 150kg woman with a evil mopps face...

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-05-17 00:05 AM CT (US)     2440 / 2962       

Critique please.

Some things to point out:
I've tried to make sure that every tree and plant is placed in a way that works with the terrain, elevation and surrounding eye-candy. Autumn trees should all have evidence of fallen leaves around them, as should the dead trees. I tried to make it look like there were a couple fallen trees, by lining up jungle trees with a chopped tree and I think it looks good.

I want this area to look like a guy's come out here and put up a dock and a little shed, then his friends come along and pitch some yurts so they have a secluded place to hang out.

Seasonally, I'm not quite sure where it sits. I'm thinking the overgrowth clashes with the amount of autumn/dead trees.
I like having autumn trees here and there, but I don't want it to be too barren and brown.

Update:

I tried to make this coastal area in front of the hill look overgrown and ignored.

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 08-05-2017 @ 00:31 AM).]

Mash
Huskarl
(id: Mashek)
posted 08-05-17 00:26 AM CT (US)     2441 / 2962       
First impressions: not too bad, but there are too many plants (use them sparingly and in a way it compliments map design rather than overwhelms it) and the terrain mixing could better transition (the dirt 1 and desert should blend in with dirt 3 and grass 3 on the outer) to appear more natural and flowing.
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-05-17 00:32 AM CT (US)     2442 / 2962       
Thanks Mash.

Perhaps I could take out some of the more repeated plant rotations, and maybe paint some Grass 2 down instead. I want it to look like thick grass back there.

I'll play with terrains and try to work the desert/dirt a little better.

Update:

I've tweaked the terrain a little at the sand, and I've cleared some of my plants, or bunched them together in little "groups", to lower their spread across the grass. I think it does look better, for sure. I also added some more overgrowth on the bottom left, so the hill looks less bland. Also moved some stumps, and added a pile of stone, largely obscured by the watch tower but just jutting out enough to provide a nice little detail. I want the tower to look old, like it was there long before the other structures, and disused. I'm thinking of putting some kind of rubble underneath or behind it to try emphasising it, but idk.

I've not done any map work in a looong time, phew.

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 08-05-2017 @ 00:53 AM).]

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-05-17 01:38 AM CT (US)     2443 / 2962       
That's a subtle, yet considerable improvement. It's quite clear that you've put a lot of effort into meticulously laying out each detail of that scene, and it shows in the end result. Reminds me of my neck of the woods during the late summer months transitioning into early autumn

The trick of putting bushes on felled trees is a good one. I've seen bushes on stumps before, but not bushes on fallen trees. Nicely done - it's good to see you designing again.

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-05-17 02:19 AM CT (US)     2444 / 2962       
Thanks Sam.

I actually put a bush-on-a-stump alongside the felled trees, but I'm not sure if I like it. The difference in shadows jumps right out and breaks the illusion. It looks disconnected.

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-05-17 08:28 AM CT (US)     2445 / 2962       
Getting shadows to line up for design tricks is an endless vexation (people will note that one faces this issue with certain building combinations as well). In most cases I'm fine with putting up with minor inconsistencies like that in view of the effect as a whole and how it contributes to the greater scene, but I know that's a opinion that varies by person.

MrMew
Huskarl
posted 08-05-17 08:40 AM CT (US)     2446 / 2962       
I may have already somewhat done that...

@BF_Tanks When I force myself into a new perspective its its own style and I kinda wanna see more of it.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 08-05-17 09:46 AM CT (US)     2447 / 2962       
Update:
Looks good. As hockeysam already noted the fallen tree looks clever. The usage of the trade cart seems fairly good, too often those are forced in for no reason. Im a hater of haystacks so theres that. One of my first instincts is to push that dirt2 path one tile more up to the door of the tower. The bamboo on the desert could be rotated a little since its two of the same in a row, or maybe add a third one in between them further in the water maybe so its not such a straight line of plants there. But yeah, its a good looking scene.

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-05-17 12:20 PM CT (US)     2448 / 2962       
@HockeySam:
Yeah, I usually see the thing I'm detailing "as a whole" and shadows are usually my least concern, but in this instance the shadow makes up 33% of the object and by it-self idk, my brain just immediately points it out.

@MrMew:
Sorry, what do you mean by new perspective?

@Cataphract:
Great suggestions, thank you.

Cataphract887
Squire
posted 08-05-17 01:32 PM CT (US)     2449 / 2962       
I got curious about bushes on a stump and tried making some in HD. I think i saw this pulled off decently in a scenario somewhere but cannot remember where. Anyway, some of these look kinda decent and some pretty weird. Maybe they need more support somehow?

Here i tried putting some flowers and grass patch under them to fight against the shadows.

Just to toss some ideas out there. Maybe you could refine it into something much better.

That one on the top, middle seems kindof good.

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 08-05-2017 @ 01:53 PM).]

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-05-17 01:38 PM CT (US)     2450 / 2962       
Im a hater of haystacks so theres that.
They are difficult to use. I usually place them in a way so that the graphic is partially obscured by a building or some other object. I'm not usually a fan of them being out in the open, although for what it's worth the one in Tanks' screenshot fits rather well with the rest of the scene in my opinion.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 68 69 70 71 72 ··· 80 ··· 85  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames