You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2962 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Your works of art.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Your works of art.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 83 84 85  Next Page »
Pitt_Man
Squire
(id: Dark_Reign)
posted 08-09-13 07:15 AM CT (US)         

We all love AoC. Why else would we be here? Why else would you be reading this thread?
With the seemingly less projects dominating the 1st page of SD&M, whether it be your work is not far along enough to post in the "Current Projects" thread, or even to have a thread of its' own. Why not give us a snippet of what you're working on?! Campaigns, Scenarios, Mods, anything!

It could be your big project, a side project, if you're just kicking back playing an RM or MP game or your favourite Campaign.
Even just messing around in the editor or Poser? I would love to see your raw works, or what you're up to in the world of AoC. Think of it as an "Instagram" for Age of Empires.

Take a screenshot of whatever you're working on (or playing with) in the editor or modding program, and share it with the community. No editing required to get rid of the editor's menu or your cursor, no theme, no voting. Just the sharing of...
Your works of art.

Need a place to host your images?
No registration needed-
Image Host+Imgur+Tiny Pic

Registration needed-
Image Shack+Photo Bucket+Flickr

Enjoy!

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         

[This message has been edited by Dead_End (edited 04-27-2016 @ 12:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Sebastien
Dark Samurai
posted 12-10-18 09:17 PM CT (US)     2941 / 2962       
Snow and snow dirt and plenty of broken walls; Mash?

Never would I have guessed!

[This message has been edited by Sebastien (edited 12-10-2018 @ 09:18 PM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 06-19-19 05:17 PM CT (US)     2942 / 2962       
Boy, I was just looking at old posts here and literally forgot I made the last few screenshots I put here...

Anyhow today its a project I am finally giving up on, or really gave up on a long time ago because so few units in the game have a japanese\asian vibe, especially the villagers.

Its pretty rough but maybe its enjoyable enough to share

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Kataphraktoi (edited 06-19-2019 @ 05:18 PM).]

Mahazona
Squire
posted 06-19-19 09:31 PM CT (US)     2943 / 2962       
Looks nice you can remake this on the senguku mod once its out.
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 06-19-19 11:03 PM CT (US)     2944 / 2962       
Nice scene. I particularly like how you've subtly obscured the sharp edges of the farm terrain with plants and such.

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1
Mash
Huskarl
(id: Mashek)
posted 06-20-19 03:05 AM CT (US)     2945 / 2962       
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 08-12-19 04:22 PM CT (US)     2946 / 2962       
I recently went on a binge and reread most of this thread. It's too bad so many screenshots are down, because this thread is otherwise a pretty great collection of ideas and styles.

It would be nice to see more people posting here again!

On a side note, is there anyone not entering or judging the PTC that might be up for playtesting my entry? Not done yet, of course, but I could use someone to bounce a few screenshots off in the meantime.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
rewaider
Squire
posted 08-15-19 06:00 AM CT (US)     2947 / 2962       
I recently went on a binge and reread most of this thread. It's too bad so many screenshots are down, because this thread is otherwise a pretty great collection of ideas and styles.
Imgur for the win. Got screenshots from like 2012 still up in there. While sites like photobucket and such seem to take them down after a short while

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-17-19 04:30 PM CT (US)     2948 / 2962       
@Kata:

Did you try using Flags and upgrading them to bridges? That might work better than yurts, if it works at all.

Nice work using UP effects as part of the design.

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 08-21-19 05:55 PM CT (US)     2949 / 2962       
I dont recall, but I did try a wide variety of objects. Only true buildings both worked and didnt crash though. Flags would definitely be preferable since the palisades or yurts can end up being inadvertently destroyed even though it looks like a bridge

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Kataphraktoi (edited 08-21-2019 @ 05:56 PM).]

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-24-19 07:23 AM CT (US)     2950 / 2962       
Another suggestion -

Task Object with number set to 1 is a true teleport effect, although it only seems to move one unit per effect (to be tested), even if using a Set Area.

My thinking here is you can create a bunch of bridges hidden somewhere in the sea, or out of the used map space, and then teleport them in onto the cliffs, using flags as a guide for locations then removing them after teleporting. Buildings only change terrain appearance once -- when they're built, so there's no worry of water appearing wherever it goes.

I tested it out, and was able to move a Bridge onto a cliff using the teleport effect and selecting the bridge with Set Area -- In this example, I painted a broad Area under multiple bridges, but only one was moved:

It may be a little tedious to do a Teleport for each individual bridge, but the plus-side is it's a true teleport, ignoring terrain restrictions or tile occupancy:

Second idea I had was to use Flags, set the Dead Unit ID to that of a Bridge and kill the Flag in-game, but the problem here is that the bridge appears as Foundations (which poses some interesting effects in itself).

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 08-24-2019 @ 07:39 AM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 08-25-19 03:32 PM CT (US)     2951 / 2962       
Good to know, I didnt realize task object:1 was a teleporter. That will be helpful for a variety of things.

I tried it out a bit with wooden bridges to avoid the water they place, though I dont think its any faster to do than the UP Scripting replace method

[This message has been edited by Kataphraktoi (edited 08-25-2019 @ 03:33 PM).]

Julius999
Imposter
posted 08-25-19 03:41 PM CT (US)     2952 / 2962       
Interesting screenshot. It looks post-apocalyptic.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 08-25-19 03:48 PM CT (US)     2953 / 2962       
Ya, its an underground kingdom that fell into ruin and dried up some ages ago. But it doesn't look underground at all with that lighting;too bright. I need to figure out something fancy with controlling units within the fog of war and also color the fog of war maybe but I have been busy elsewhere and didnt look into it yet. I know one method but it reduces the framerate to 0 so I need to find something else.

[This message has been edited by Kataphraktoi (edited 08-25-2019 @ 03:49 PM).]

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-25-19 04:11 PM CT (US)     2954 / 2962       
You can set GAIA resource 230 to -53754, followed by adjusting resource 233 from a range of 0-255 to affect the revealed area color palette. Try setting it to 10 and you'll get this:

or 11, which seems slightly lighter;

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 08-25-2019 @ 04:38 PM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 08-27-19 11:30 AM CT (US)     2955 / 2962       
This bridge teleportation is better than I gave it credit for;sure, it takes longer to implement but it leaves behind no hitboxes from the walls or yurts used. I think its going to be a very commonly used thing in my maps now.

That pallette modification looks promising, thanks! I was wondering what those pallete resources could do.

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-27-19 12:14 PM CT (US)     2956 / 2962       
I'm writing up my findings on Fog Colours here. I plan to eventually have every colour with an example image of how it could look in-game, though a lot of colors are pretty much the same and don't have much of a unique look in-game to others.

One thing I've noticed about Teleport task object -

It seems to me that buildings don't paint a terrain until you see them for the first time. If I teleport an unseen building in, then it gets terrain underneath.. Are you having this issue with your bridges?

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 08-29-19 11:34 AM CT (US)     2957 / 2962       
Oh, now that I was playing with the fog I remembered I tried it when it first came out;a red fog for a burning city and a light blue fog for a cold morning. Its a bit tricky to do anything too amazing since the coloring is so limited on this game. Still, its great to have another tool to try using

That screenshot with better lighting:

For those wondering, it looks smoother ingame. The lines come from compression errors

Here using the other fog effect I mentioned, but you can see how brightly any object is colored within it:

Lastly a mundane bridge using the teleportation;works so good and none of that icky water on the sides or desert on the ends:

Im not a fan of the ridge down the middle, but its necessary to be wide since so many units are pathing across it here.
It seems to me that buildings don't paint a terrain until you see them for the first time. If I teleport an unseen building in, then it gets terrain underneath.. Are you having this issue with your bridges?
Weird! No, I am not seeing this. I just tested it out on this laptop which has a very recent WK build on it too. The bridge I teleported in was across the map and it didnt change the terrain.

[This message has been edited by Kataphraktoi (edited 08-29-2019 @ 11:51 AM).]

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-31-19 12:23 PM CT (US)     2958 / 2962       

Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 08-31-19 12:26 PM CT (US)     2959 / 2962       
@Tanks, I've been trying to create something in that vein for a potential scenario using data editing but it is quite tricky. I assume you did that with UP effects?

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 09-02-19 01:08 PM CT (US)     2960 / 2962       
Yep! Just a little bit of UserPatch magic ~

I have a Mining Camp out of shot, pre-placed.
The rocks they're mining are Stone Mines in-editor, but in-game they immediately get upgraded to Rocks.

Next to that, the stone miners are slowed down for aesthetics and the trading cart is flat out immobilised to counter the AI's tendencies to wander it around, even on 'None' personality.

The real treat is the Mining Camp, it gets immediately upgraded to a Farm (this causes the mining camp to inherit the Farm's empty graphic, and doesn't change the core ID of the camp so stone miners will still deposit there.) then I used UP's 'Teleport' trigger to move the mining camp to the tile to the right of the cart (to bring the edge of the cart as close as possible to the 'edge' of the now-invisible mining camp-farm-hybrid, again just for detail.). By teleporting the Camp in, I'm avoiding a terrain paint override from the Camp, to keep the dirt trails.

Finally, I have up-effects to set the storage amount of stone on Stone Mines to 32000, so they won't run out any time soon.

I could expand this to maybe try giving the mining camp legs to follow the cart around, but I don't know if that'd work or where I'd apply it. This is just for the PTC, I don't really need it to serve gameplay, so I haven't gone that far.

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 09-02-2019 @ 01:25 PM).]

Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 09-02-19 01:49 PM CT (US)     2961 / 2962       
Nice! I was trying to make a playable version where the cart would acts as a truly mobile TC. The trick works, except you can't right click on the cart with your foragers, which is pretty annoying. Basically the idea is to use the cart as a baggage train for an army: as you march your food is depleated at a steady rate, meaning you have to actively forage for food as your army marches towards its goal, as well as protect both the baggage train and the foragers. You could also implement rationing choices, i.e. increased rations --> morale boost --> food depleated faster etc. One drawback is that the map have to be pretty huge for this mechanic to get some practical use, and I don't really have an idea for a map where this makes sense at the moment.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 09-03-19 02:12 PM CT (US)     2962 / 2962       
If the carts stop at pre-determined locations, you could have an invisible mill at each spot and just have the carts park there, then use NPC gatherers tasked to resources near the mill (I don't know if it'd be possible for a player to right click the mill once it's invisible, so I think that trick would only work with normal villager behaviour of going to the closest drop site)

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 09-03-2019 @ 02:13 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 83 84 85  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames