You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.48 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project: Tristan & Iseult
Bottom
Topic Subject:Project: Tristan & Iseult
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Filthydelphia
Squire
(id: Al_Kharn the Great)
posted 03-09-14 08:44 PM CT (US)         
DOWNLOAD SCENARIO HERE

TRAILER ON YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDkosCOcY8w

"This love wounds my heart
with a sweet taste, so gently,
I die of grief a hundred times a day
and a hundred times revive with joy."

- Bernart de Ventadorn (1130-1190)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Experience a vivid re-telling of history's greatest story of forbidden love.

An AoE II HD Forgotten Empires campaign.

Teaser available at the Blacksmith!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Screenshots
Tintagel Castle
Watery cave in the Irish mountains
An Irish monastery
Cornish docks
The rocky beaches of Cornwall
The forests of northern Cornwall
A guarded cove
The town of Tintagel
The castle gardens

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 06-03-2014 @ 04:29 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 03-09-14 11:04 PM CT (US)     1 / 48       
Screenies look good. I really like the creativity you've used- several objects are used effectively in ways that one would not think of immediately!

Design style (as ever) is distinctively yours, too. It's truly a nice mix of overall minimalism with clever placement of GAIA objects and other pieces of the editor to create a captivating result. Well done and I'll try to get to playing soon!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
Pitt_Man
Squire
(id: Dark_Reign)
posted 03-09-14 11:53 PM CT (US)     2 / 48       
Nice shots. Perhaps a break in the cliffs for the waterfall and a different terrain next to the dirt1 at the Irish Monastery (to get rid of that ugly line where it turns) will give it that little bit of a nicer look

I'll be downloading your teasers for sure

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 03-10-14 08:43 AM CT (US)     3 / 48       
Perhaps a break in the cliffs for the waterfall
Good points. Also, come to think of it, the waterfall object on the cliff seems a tad off. Perhaps if you used the free placement feature (press ctrl+s once for off-grid placement of units, twice for completely free placement of all objects, and a third time for back to normal) to move it so that it covers the whole cliff, it would look better.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-10-14 05:53 PM CT (US)     4 / 48       
Good points. Also, come to think of it, the waterfall object on the cliff seems a tad off. Perhaps if you used the free placement feature (press ctrl+s once for off-grid placement of units, twice for completely free placement of all objects, and a third time for back to normal) to move it so that it covers the whole cliff, it would look better.
I am staring at my screen dumbfounded with my jaw dropped.

Was this always possible? Oh my god. How did you know about this? What else is there that I don't even know about with this editor?!

Wow. What else could I have done with map design if I knew this was possible? Holy crap!

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 03-10-2014 @ 05:54 PM).]

Mike Oxhard
Squire
(id: Arnas)
posted 03-10-14 06:04 PM CT (US)     5 / 48       
The off grind feature is a new addition to the UserPatch, since you run AoF, you automatically have UserPatch installed.

Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-10-14 06:11 PM CT (US)     6 / 48       
I just can't believe I made so many scenarios without that tool. It sure beats trying to get things right with map copy!

Wow. I really don't know what to say.
Mike Oxhard
Squire
posted 03-10-14 06:21 PM CT (US)     7 / 48       
I know.. I had the same reaction when Sam told me.

John the Late
Knight
posted 03-10-14 07:03 PM CT (US)     8 / 48       
As Sam said, you have really created a recognisable style of design. Well done. Will definitely download.
Pitt_Man
Squire
posted 03-10-14 07:44 PM CT (US)     9 / 48       
I was away from AoKH for a few years and then came back to this knowledge. I was astounded and excited too

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 03-10-14 08:53 PM CT (US)     10 / 48       
It's a rather new addition- as others have said, it was only included in the UserPatch by Scripter64 (completely free placement feature is barely a year old). To make a slight correction to what Arnas said, while AoFE does use the UserPatch, AoF does not (Skybox coders replicated many features of UserPatch and created some of their own for AoF) due to certain compatibility issues with the code (and the fact that Scripter64 is not working on AoF).

But yeah, all in all, it's a rather incredible addition that makes scenario design much easier (and more fun at points)!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-10-14 09:19 PM CT (US)     11 / 48       
I have an updated teaser ready to go that finishes Part II. I don't want to upload it as a separate submission. I will update it as soon as the original submission is on the Blacksmith.
Dead_End
Cavalier
posted 03-11-14 07:44 AM CT (US)     12 / 48       
Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-11-14 04:43 PM CT (US)     13 / 48       
Thanks, Dead_end!

Just submitted the updated trailer that finishes up Part II. The addition is a stealth sequence.

HockeySam:

Do you think this scenario would fit the criteria for 'historical' for your design contest? I know the story of Tristan & Iseult is folklore in the same vein as the Arthurian legends or the Viking Sagas but, as with those, there's significant historical veracity for the legends.

I assume your intention was to not have completely original, designer-created fictional material for the contest; that is, it wasn't your intention to prevent a portrayal of a ten century old legend that was derived from historical events and persons partially but not completely shrouded in time.

If given a thorough history section backed by research on the historicity of the legend and a setting and story grounded in the historical 10th-11th century Cornwall and Ireland (with a few modifications for the medium and the audience), would this scenario be justifiable historical for the contest?

You did consider Haiku of the Ronin sufficiently historical and while it featured a historical character in Matsuo Basho, the story and the character of Soji was entirely my creation.

I can see either argument for admitting or disallowing this scenario but I would prefer to submit this scenario since I feel it will be a stronger and more accessible entry in the contest (this one actually has action!). Plus from what you've seen of my other campaigns, I do really try to infuse a lot of the history and culture into my works.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 03-11-2014 @ 05:08 PM).]

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 03-11-14 08:58 PM CT (US)     14 / 48       
I do believe it fits the criteria. Though technically a legend, most medieval legends are rooted in factual events (King Arthur for example, who is widely accepted to either be a Roman auxiliary commander or a Briton chieftain who defended his land against the Saxons and Angles). If a story is timeless and important enough that it spreads across cultures (Tristan and Iseult was popular enough that it spread from Crusader minstrels to Ayyubid courtiers during the 12th century, and you can find similar continuities in several other stories such as Norse Sagas and Greek epics), then it surely carries some weight, despite unavoidable exaggerations. Likewise, even the biblical story of the Great Flood is present in nearly every culture across the globe and developed independently among those cultures, so there surely must be some truth to it. Great epics like the Iliad and Aeneid have also been rooted in truth.

So in short, yes. It is only one scenario, right?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-11-14 10:57 PM CT (US)     15 / 48       
Yes it is only one scenario.

New screenshot:

Jousting!

Yes, you actually joust. One pass at a time and it will take good timing to topple your opponent.
Knaber
Squire
posted 03-12-14 07:13 AM CT (US)     16 / 48       
Good luck!
Nice screenshots and trailer
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 03-12-14 08:50 AM CT (US)     17 / 48       
Looking good! I was going to make a scenario based on the book by Joseph Bédier at one point but never got around to it, so it's nice to see someone putting the tale into a scenario at last!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
rewaider
Squire
posted 03-17-14 05:29 PM CT (US)     18 / 48       
Nice screenshots. However you could put a kind of fences in "The Joust" area.

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith
Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-17-14 06:03 PM CT (US)     19 / 48       
Nice screenshots. However you could put a kind of fences in "The Joust" area.
No. While I am already being a little anachronistic with having jousting in the scenario, the tilt (the wooden barrier between the jousters) originates from the 16th century, well after the time-frame of the scenario.

A 13th century joust from Codex Manesse:

Besides, a barrier won't work for what I'm trying to do with the joust gameplay-wise. It's tricky enough to get the AI to do a single pass, jab with the lances, and keep going straight. Keeping them from running over the stumps to represent a fence is impossible.
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 03-18-14 00:58 AM CT (US)     20 / 48       
The "freeze unit" effect (which sets a unit to no-attack stance) would come in handy in that situation, considering that it would then allow you to control the joust process completely with triggers (mostly task object).

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-18-14 04:58 PM CT (US)     21 / 48       
HockeySam:

I'm using change ownership instead.

There are some strange aspects to the jousting but they're probably just limitations of the game. For example, sometimes the jousters get only one hit in (good) while other times they manage to squeeze two hits in even though I have a fixed timer for them to disengage. Also, they sometimes don't disengage cleanly. Instead, one jouster does a 90-degree turn going perpendicular to the other jouster and pauses for a beat before passing the other jouster (collision/pathfinding issue, I guess). Oddly, this stuff occurs randomly.

I'm not too worried about it, though. I think players realize that the game has some limitations. I'll fool around with it before release but the system is currently functional to allow the player to participate in jousts.

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 03-18-2014 @ 05:15 PM).]

Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-20-14 07:06 PM CT (US)     22 / 48       
It's finished but HockeySam's contest deadline isn't until May.

Who wants to playtest?

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 03-20-2014 @ 07:11 PM).]

Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-21-14 09:23 PM CT (US)     23 / 48       
No one?
Pitt_Man
Squire
posted 03-22-14 06:57 AM CT (US)     24 / 48       
Send it my way

Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-22-14 07:43 AM CT (US)     25 / 48       
Sent. Thanks.
Whoracle
Worst Designer Ever
posted 03-25-14 02:17 AM CT (US)     26 / 48       
Forbidden love, eh? Reminds me of something I used to work on many years ago.

This looks great and very promising. Looking forward to downloading it.

/\NDANU "WHORACLE" TRISATY/\
~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~
Member of StormWind Studios & BlackForest Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-29-14 10:22 PM CT (US)     27 / 48       
You can play it now. I'm not going to make any major changes to it. Only bug fixes and any small recommendations/changes offered by playtesters. I won't be releasing it until after HockeySam's contest.

If you want to playtest it, tell me and I'll email you the campaign.
Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 03-30-14 05:07 PM CT (US)     28 / 48       
I did make a change. I changed the encounter with the Irish Prince Morholt. Now he cannot be killed unless you use the momentum of repeated cavalry charges to wear him down.
Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 04-14-14 10:43 PM CT (US)     29 / 48       
Mike Oxhard
Squire
posted 04-15-14 05:45 AM CT (US)     30 / 48       
That's awesome! Can't wait until you finish it!

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 04-15-14 09:05 AM CT (US)     31 / 48       
Trailer looks really good. I definitely won't be surprised if this one ends up in the upper echelon of entries!

Once again, really impressed by the amount of creativity that you put into your design- it's one of the more unique styles I've ever seen!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Basse
Squire
posted 04-15-14 02:37 PM CT (US)     32 / 48       
Good trailer! Although I think it was a little slow/long
Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 04-18-14 12:53 PM CT (US)     33 / 48       
Added a total of 8 minutes of narration voiceovers and intro and victory cinematics
John the Late
Knight
posted 04-18-14 01:20 PM CT (US)     34 / 48       
Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 04-18-14 01:26 PM CT (US)     35 / 48       
Only for the narrations. The character dialogue is unvoiced.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames