You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1611 replies, Sticky
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Designer's Tavern IV - Ask questions and discuss scenario design!
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Designer's Tavern IV - Ask questions and discuss scenario design!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 42 43 44 45 46  Next Page »
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 07-04-15 04:56 PM CT (US)         

Welcome to the Designer's Tavern! After switching owners twice before and undergoing some time-consuming renovations, the tavern is now in our capable hands. Who are we? That's a good question! We are HockeySam18 and Mr Wednesday, your benevolent oligarchs hosts! Established by SonicShadow in 2005, taken over by Matt LiVecchi in 2009, and passed on to Lord Basse in 2010, the tavern is a place for the SD&M community to sit down, relax and have a sip of an imaginary pint of ale. This is the place for general discussion on scenario design; talk about whatever you want as long as it's related to scenario design, downloads in the Blacksmith, and the like. If you want to say something totally unrelated to scenario design, the Town's Crier is a fine place to go to instead.

Seminars_on_Designing_and_Trigger Tricks

Have a new discovery you want to share with the world? A design trick, a good way to design a fortress, or a trigger system? Perhaps you feel the need to address what you think is a problem with designing? Contact us via email or post a reply with the article! It doesn't have to be something brand new, but it shouldn't be something of common knowledge either, like "A Guide on Painting Water on your Map" (though that can propagate some interesting discussion in of itself)! Write a paragraph or three, add a screenshot and send it off, and we'll make sure it gets up here.

Past seminars:

Designing a realistic forest, by HockeySam18

Current seminar:

Utilizing off-grid placement to its full potential, by Mr Wednesday

Off grid placement is the most powerful tool to come along since Data editing. I opened AoKTS three times when doing my PTC entry, compared to hundreds or thousands of times when doing The Quiet Dawn. While all the effects I used in Smile No More (and that screenshot) were technically possible before, the simple truth is no one would ever have done them. When covering the Asian monastery to get only the statue, I could select trees that had the exact shape as the outline of the statue (or close enough) and essentially just paint over the stuff I didn't want. To do that once with AoKTS would have taken probably a couple days. I did it in dozens of spots.

Designers haven't really picked up on the full power of this yet I don't think. AoK has always had a very limited set of graphics, and we use the closest approximation to represent everything we don't have.

Except now, people need to start thinking of all the graphics as just 2D images. If any part of a graphic can represent what you want, or any combination of parts, you can make it happen. In that screenshot, the obvious choice for a treehouse is the Outpost. The sea tower is the next thing you logically think of. But the best looking part might be the Archery range, which is a perfect example of using one quarter of a graphic or less, and essentially making the rest disappear.

The only thing that matters anymore is the front image essentially, which consists of whatever parts are showing from all the images.

I'd caution that 99% of this is depth perception, so watch the shadows, where the bases hit the terrain, etc. Make sure there isn't anything showing that breaks the illusions you are creating.

Playtesters and Other Requests:

Feel free to ask here, I will add your request to the topic post if it doesn't get fulfilled quickly. Go ahead and link your project thread as well if you like!

Help with AI Scripting for Custom Scenarios

For anyone struggling with AI scripting, this tool by Jan dc allows you to generate a competent AI tailored specifically to the needs of your custom scenario.

Current Projects and Screenshots:

We'd love to see screenshots and hear teasers from your current projects or whatever you've felt like working on. Feel free to post them and we'll start up a list below!

- Storm on the Steppe - by HockeySam18

- The Battle of Senc Tor - by Aristeides

- Wrath of the Traibs - by Possidon

- Aethelflaed Modification and Campaign - by Mash

- Paradise Lost Remastered - by Devastator

- Pirate's Treasure - by PresterJohn

- Barbarossa - the campaign - by Paul_TD

Tavern Staff:
Owners - HockeySam18 and Mr Wednesday
Patron and Resident Viking - Leif Ericson
President of the Board - Dead_End
Board Members - Popeychops and John the Late
Chef - Major Helper

"Hot" Barmaids:
Prester John
Miathemother

Menu:
Steak and ale pie
Rack of lamb
Grilled venison
Roasted iron boar
Spam
Vegetable medley

Drinks:
Glass of wine
Pint of ale
Bucket of ale
Tub of mead
Cider
Tea
Coffee
Guarana

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 07-27-2017 @ 08:49 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 04-03-18 03:52 PM CT (US)     1506 / 1611       
Well, maybe 'impossible' was a bit much as Edhuns "Imperial Regalia" does not lag, but it also doesnt have AI trying to send massive armies at one another across the map as is often the case in build and destroy. Probably if the unit counts are low and all the AIs are passive with triggers being used to start fights, it might be OK. I wouldnt dare try spending so much time on it myself for fear of getting stuck with a big issue, but maybe it could work out.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
ArnulfFloyd
Squire
posted 04-04-18 01:24 AM CT (US)     1507 / 1611       
Thanks, Cata, for hints, I've thinks as if bought AOKHD + expansion to make a RPG-style campaign but not open-world, I am interested in continuing my campaign for Userpatch 1.5, three aditional scenarios are planned but not so long based on my lore for make to be enjoyed, I think a B&D, a RPG and a FF, each wih many tricks which I've learned here, but scenario design not is so good as playing campaign, random map scenarios, I work slowly because I am a just player. Another question: How to do make as music running according to duration of a certain

P.S: I believe as I must make scenarios not on large maps because I create these for my fun than audience, maybe I in summer try AOE2HD + DLCs because Al_Kharn the Great's and Bassi's masterpieces which intrigues me

[This message has been edited by ArnulfFloyd (edited 04-06-2018 @ 09:44 AM).]

Cataphract887
Squire
posted 04-11-18 06:36 PM CT (US)     1508 / 1611       
Oh my goodness, looks like the postimage.org site is going down in flames. That sucks because imgur just plain doesnt work for me at all. Time to find a new image hoster lol

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
(id: Great_Artiste)
posted 04-11-18 11:35 PM CT (US)     1509 / 1611       
Let me know if you find anything. I gave up on Imgur after it couldn't upload a pic for 10min.

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 04-12-18 05:22 AM CT (US)     1510 / 1611       
Im dusting off my dropbox account and giving them a try. Didnt use it for image hosting yet, just backing up save games.

Rico_jolla
Squire
posted 04-14-18 01:49 PM CT (US)     1511 / 1611       
Just 2 designer questions:

1) I have a monk moving from A to B.
The problem is that as he sees a wounded unit passing by, he goes after it trying to heal it.
I should have him with 0 heal range, or with disabled healing.
I tried everything: tribute away heal range, or heal speed, reduce range (negative range) ...no solution until now...

2) how can I change the cost of a building without modding?

Thanks

~--------------------------~{±}~--------------------------~
¤›> PROPHETS OF DOOM <‹¤
o›> Project Thread: https://tinyurl.com/y93q84s9
~---------------------------~÷~---------------------------~
MrMew
Huskarl
posted 04-14-18 07:18 PM CT (US)     1512 / 1611       
I don't think you can change the cost of a building without mods.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
scripter64
Wolved
posted 04-15-18 10:30 AM CT (US)     1513 / 1611       
You can use up-effect (scx) or effect_amount (rms) to change cost values using these attributes:
#const ATTR_FOOD_COST 103
#const ATTR_WOOD_COST 104
#const ATTR_GOLD_COST 105
#const ATTR_STONE_COST 106
There can only be 3 cost types for each object. If you need to change existing object cost types, you can MUL_ATTRIBUTE an object cost (FWGS) by -1 to create a cost type or -2 to remove a cost type. Here's some examples for rms:
effect_amount MUL_ATTRIBUTE VILLAGER_CLASS ATTR_WOOD_COST -1
effect_amount SET_ATTRIBUTE VILLAGER_CLASS ATTR_WOOD_COST 10
- create a wood cost on the first available cost slot
- set the wood cost to 10W
- result: villagers will be 50F, 10W

effect_amount MUL_ATTRIBUTE VILLAGER_CLASS ATTR_FOOD_COST -2
effect_amount ADD_ATTRIBUTE VILLAGER_CLASS ATTR_WOOD_COST 50
- remove the food cost (cost amount remains unchanged on the slot)
- create a wood cost on the first available cost slot, which was the food cost
- add 50W to the wood cost to the 50 from the previous food cost
- result: villagers will be 100W

effect_amount MUL_ATTRIBUTE VILLAGER_CLASS ATTR_FOOD_COST -2
- remove the food cost (cost amount remains unchanged on the slot)
- create a wood cost on the first available cost slot, which was the food cost
result: basically swaps the 50F to 50W
To make a monk less likely to find targets nearby, you could reduce its line of sight (#const ATTR_LINE_OF_SIGHT 1) and search radius (#const ATTR_SEARCH_RADIUS 23) to something very low, like 1 or maybe 0 (not sure if that works lol). Alternatively, for human monks, setting player resource 90 (amount-heal-range) to -1 should disable automatic healing.

[This message has been edited by scripter64 (edited 04-15-2018 @ 11:02 AM).]

hotchip
Squire
posted 04-15-18 04:03 PM CT (US)     1514 / 1611       
How can I make a unit have +5HP every 5 seconds?

I know a map in which you have a king with -for example- the name "Arbalest" if you kill this king, all your arbalests will dissapear. How can I do this?

Im trying to replicate the Cba hero that everyone plays on steam's aoe hd for the regular aoe. Dont know if it already exists.
Rico_jolla
Squire
posted 04-16-18 03:11 AM CT (US)     1515 / 1611       
Ty Scripter I will give it a try.

Hotchip:
Easy.
Remember that when you don't select a unit or an area in the triggers, the effect may affect ALL the player's units on the map.
If you specify just a type of units, all these units on the map.

So 1) a looping trigger that increases HP by 5.
This will make total life > max HP. If you want to update also max HP, refer to the UP-effect tutorial.
2) trigger with condition destroy objects on the king, and as effect, remove object (select player, arbalest, no area and no object selected)

¤›> PROPHETS OF DOOM <‹¤

[This message has been edited by Rico_jolla (edited 04-16-2018 @ 03:12 AM).]

Cataphract887
Squire
posted 04-17-18 08:33 AM CT (US)     1516 / 1611       
Does anyone know how I could fix market prices? I tried force researching guilds on a timer but it only works once anyhow. I thought I saw some AI that did just this on the smithy before and cannot find anything. Maybe even if you just remember a scenario that had this mechanic and reminded me of it I could reverse engineer it from there. That rulick defense scenario has this mechanic so it must be possible too although thats HD.

Al_Kharn the Great
Squire
posted 04-17-18 08:43 AM CT (US)     1517 / 1611       
You're talking about keeping the resource prices at a certain level? You'd have to have an AI which buys and sells whenever the resource price is lower than or greater than your preferred price level. This AI would probably need infinite resources.

Filthydelphia Creations
Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
Complete Campaign Collection
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 04-17-18 08:50 AM CT (US)     1518 / 1611       
Thats what I thought, but I cannot locate an AI that does this. Im pretty sure ive seen this in scenarios\campaigns before but cannot recall which one so I can look at how its AI file works

Al_Kharn the Great
Squire
posted 04-17-18 09:25 AM CT (US)     1519 / 1611       
It's simple. I am at work right now but look at any AI that specifies the AI using the market and I'm sure you'll figure it out with some thought and logic.

Filthydelphia Creations
Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
Complete Campaign Collection
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 04-17-18 09:29 AM CT (US)     1520 / 1611       
You dont know how bad I am at AI

But OK, if you say its common I will examine the AI I have laying around and see how it works.

Bassi
Squire
posted 04-17-18 09:31 AM CT (US)     1521 / 1611       
I guess something like this could work:

(defrule
(commodity-buying-price wood <= 50)
(can-buy-commodity wood)
=>
(chat-local-to-self "Keep Wood Prices high")
(buy-commodity wood)
)

My AoC Workshop
Make Build & Destroy great again!
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 04-17-18 09:40 AM CT (US)     1522 / 1611       
Thanks bassi, I will check that out in a bit

This did work, although I think I have to invert it, as what I want is for it to be cheap to buy wood\food always. Tinkering with that now.

Got it fully working, thanks guys XD

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 04-17-2018 @ 10:21 AM).]

Rico_jolla
Squire
posted 04-21-18 06:05 AM CT (US)     1523 / 1611       
Hey Scripter,
I try to do it with Outposts, to make them cost 100W + the usual 10S

up-effect 1,6,598,104,-2
up-effect 1,6,598,104,-1
up-effect 1,6,598,104,100

but it doesn't have any effect...where do i take it wrong?

¤›> PROPHETS OF DOOM <‹¤

[This message has been edited by Rico_jolla (edited 04-21-2018 @ 06:14 AM).]

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 04-21-18 02:51 PM CT (US)     1524 / 1611       
I want to have bombard cannons stay still (Stand ground), but fire ocassionaly via task trigger, but the change stance effect doesnt seem to work... Any ideas?

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

scripter64
Wolved
posted 04-21-18 04:14 PM CT (US)     1525 / 1611       
To make an outpost cost 100W, 10S, you can just do "up-effect 1,0,598,104,100,1" (last ,1 was missing there). Since an outpost costs 25W, 10S, it already has a wood cost, so you can just SET_ATTRIBUTE (0) the ATTR_WOOD_COST (104) to 100.

Artiste, in what way is it not working? Are they backing away from targets due to minimum range or just going aggressive? Is the stance change actually occurring from the buttons you see when selecting it? Maybe no-attack stance will help?

[This message has been edited by scripter64 (edited 04-21-2018 @ 04:18 PM).]

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 04-21-18 05:19 PM CT (US)     1526 / 1611       
I set them to Stand ground and they went aggressive. We're talking HD btw.

Bassi
Squire
posted 04-21-18 05:21 PM CT (US)     1527 / 1611       
If you want the cannons not to attack you need to change their stance to "passive", not to "stand-ground".

My AoC Workshop
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 04-21-18 05:25 PM CT (US)     1528 / 1611       
Thanks

How about the one where unit only attacks what's in range?

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 04-21-2018 @ 05:26 PM).]

Bassi
Squire
posted 04-21-18 05:26 PM CT (US)     1529 / 1611       
How about the one where unit only attacks what's in range?
That's "stand-ground".

My AoC Workshop
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 04-21-18 05:28 PM CT (US)     1530 / 1611       
hmhm. And passive?

Perfect. It's working, thanks mate!

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 04-21-2018 @ 05:31 PM).]

Rico_jolla
Squire
posted 05-11-18 04:09 AM CT (US)     1531 / 1611       
Hello, is there a way to "put an axe" in the hand of every villager through UP?
I just want a trick to turn all the vills to lumberjack so they look like they hold an axe, is it possible? thx

¤›> PROPHETS OF DOOM <‹¤
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 05-11-18 09:52 AM CT (US)     1532 / 1611       
Try upgrading the base villager ID to the lumberjack ID for that player? I dont know what would happen if that lumberjack was actually in fighting though, if ES had an animation for it, or maybe it would use the chopping animation. Curious.

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 05-11-2018 @ 09:56 AM).]

dragontheworld
Squire
posted 05-11-18 02:43 PM CT (US)     1533 / 1611       
Hey guys! I was working on a scenario of mine when I faced a trigger problem; the goal is to capture 2 relics and kill a certain hero. Now the problem is when I capture the 2 relics, the obj would cross out. Now if I haven't killed the hero and lose the relics, the obj would still be crossed out, so I designed this.

Trigger 1: Obj 1 (Obj:yes, Start: on, loop:no)
condition:Accumilate attribute: player 1, relics, 2
effect:Display instruction: yes!
effect:activate trigger 4
effect:activate trigger 5
-------------
Trigger 2: Obj 2 (Obj:yes, Start: on, loop:no)
condition:destroy object
effect:Display instruction: yes!
-------------
Trigger 3: all obj (Obj:no, Start: on, loop:no)
condition:destroy object
condition:Accumilate attribute: player 1, relics, 2
effect:Declare victory
////////////////////to solve the problem///////////
Trigger 4: obj 2 helper 1 (Obj:no, Start: off, loop:no)
condition:own fewer objects, player 1, others, relics, 1
effect:display instruction: no!
effect:activate trigger 1
effect:dectivate trigger 4
effect:dectivate trigger 5
-------------
Trigger 5: obj 2 helper 0 (Obj:no, Start: off, loop:no)
condition:own fewer objects, player 1, others, relics, 0
effect:display instruction: no!
effect:activate trigger 1
effect:dectivate trigger 4
effect:dectivate trigger 5

///////////////////THE RESULTS/////////////
Loop: obj constantly crosses out and instruction are looping
"yes""no""yes""no""yes""no""yes""no""yes""no"

any suggestions? thanks in advance
Julius999
Imposter
posted 05-11-18 07:05 PM CT (US)     1534 / 1611       
I think the problem is that relics don't count for 'Own Objects'.

You could try this (no looping triggers):

Victory trigger:

Obvious conditions and effects.

Two triggers to display objectives:

Relics Objective (Obj:yes, Start: on)
objectives text: Possess two relics.
condition: Object in area: detect a flag or something
condition: Timer 5

Kill Objective: (Obj:yes, Start: on)
objectives text: Murder that annoying hero.
condition: Destroy object

Triggers to turn relics objective on and off

Get relics (Start: on)
condition: Accumulate attribute 2 relics.
display instructions: "Hurrah! We have two relics!"
create object: create a flag for the objectives trigger to detect
activate trigger: Have got relics?

Have got relics? (Start: off)
condition: Timer 1
activate triggers: Still got the relics; Insufficient relics

Still got the relics (Start: off)
condition: Accumulate attribute 2 relics.
deactivate trigger: Insufficient relics.
activate trigger: Have got relics?

Insufficient relics (Start: off)
condition: Timer 3
display instructions: "Egad! We no longer have two relics!"
deactivate trigger: Still got the relics.
activate trigger: Get relics
remove object: Remove the flag that the objectives trigger detects
activate trigger: Relics Objective

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 05-12-18 12:04 PM CT (US)     1535 / 1611       
Is there any way to increase the current size of a map without map copying+generating?

dragontheworld
Squire
posted 05-12-18 01:36 PM CT (US)     1536 / 1611       
I would've never figured it out, lol. thanks a lot Julius.
Julius999
Imposter
posted 05-12-18 05:21 PM CT (US)     1537 / 1611       
Is there any way to increase the current size of a map without map copying+generating?
AoKTS is able to do this.
I would've never figured it out, lol. thanks a lot Julius.
You're welcome. I hope my suggestion works. I didn't actually test it.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
Mash
Huskarl
(id: Mashek)
posted 05-27-18 04:57 AM CT (US)     1538 / 1611       
I've had this bizarre bug for a while now since updating with the latest Userpatch (unsure if that is actually the issue). Basically the longboat won't move even though I've checked all triggers are running smoothly and activate the correct player and unit. I even tried a galley instead of the longboat and that won't move either. The triggers in question were working before updating UP, but this was before I had to reinstall the game after a series of other issues.

scripter64
Wolved
posted 05-27-18 04:26 PM CT (US)     1539 / 1611       
Hi! Just tested with the Task Object trigger and it seemed to work with both human ships (longboat and galley) and the default AI's ships. If the ship being moved is an AI controlled ship, it may be something that the AI script is doing to block it or maybe there's another looping trigger halting it. Does the owning player have a custom AI? Is the ship idle permanently? Is the trigger looping?

[This message has been edited by scripter64 (edited 05-27-2018 @ 04:43 PM).]

Mash
Huskarl
(id: Mashek)
posted 05-29-18 07:52 AM CT (US)     1540 / 1611       
Hey Scripter! The ship is AI-controlled (immobile AI) and is tasked by triggers as part of an opening cut-scene. I had no such issue with the ship moving before encountering those driver-related issues a month or so ago when I reinstalled the game from scratch. The task object effects seem to work fine for boats in other scenarios. I just did a large test: it will not task object or patrol while under ownership of player 5 (the original owner of the longboat) or any other player; I tried creating and tasking the unit by triggers instead and no luck, even create a dialogue "Activated" within that trigger to ensure it was firing correctly. The dialogue appeared but no longboat movement. I even tried redoing the part of the ocean under boat but nothing too. Very strange indeed.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 42 43 44 45 46  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames