You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1611 replies, Sticky
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Designer's Tavern IV - Ask questions and discuss scenario design!
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Designer's Tavern IV - Ask questions and discuss scenario design!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 43 44 45 46  Next Page »
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 07-04-15 04:56 PM CT (US)         

Welcome to the Designer's Tavern! After switching owners twice before and undergoing some time-consuming renovations, the tavern is now in our capable hands. Who are we? That's a good question! We are HockeySam18 and Mr Wednesday, your benevolent oligarchs hosts! Established by SonicShadow in 2005, taken over by Matt LiVecchi in 2009, and passed on to Lord Basse in 2010, the tavern is a place for the SD&M community to sit down, relax and have a sip of an imaginary pint of ale. This is the place for general discussion on scenario design; talk about whatever you want as long as it's related to scenario design, downloads in the Blacksmith, and the like. If you want to say something totally unrelated to scenario design, the Town's Crier is a fine place to go to instead.

Seminars_on_Designing_and_Trigger Tricks

Have a new discovery you want to share with the world? A design trick, a good way to design a fortress, or a trigger system? Perhaps you feel the need to address what you think is a problem with designing? Contact us via email or post a reply with the article! It doesn't have to be something brand new, but it shouldn't be something of common knowledge either, like "A Guide on Painting Water on your Map" (though that can propagate some interesting discussion in of itself)! Write a paragraph or three, add a screenshot and send it off, and we'll make sure it gets up here.

Past seminars:

Designing a realistic forest, by HockeySam18

Current seminar:

Utilizing off-grid placement to its full potential, by Mr Wednesday

Off grid placement is the most powerful tool to come along since Data editing. I opened AoKTS three times when doing my PTC entry, compared to hundreds or thousands of times when doing The Quiet Dawn. While all the effects I used in Smile No More (and that screenshot) were technically possible before, the simple truth is no one would ever have done them. When covering the Asian monastery to get only the statue, I could select trees that had the exact shape as the outline of the statue (or close enough) and essentially just paint over the stuff I didn't want. To do that once with AoKTS would have taken probably a couple days. I did it in dozens of spots.

Designers haven't really picked up on the full power of this yet I don't think. AoK has always had a very limited set of graphics, and we use the closest approximation to represent everything we don't have.

Except now, people need to start thinking of all the graphics as just 2D images. If any part of a graphic can represent what you want, or any combination of parts, you can make it happen. In that screenshot, the obvious choice for a treehouse is the Outpost. The sea tower is the next thing you logically think of. But the best looking part might be the Archery range, which is a perfect example of using one quarter of a graphic or less, and essentially making the rest disappear.

The only thing that matters anymore is the front image essentially, which consists of whatever parts are showing from all the images.

I'd caution that 99% of this is depth perception, so watch the shadows, where the bases hit the terrain, etc. Make sure there isn't anything showing that breaks the illusions you are creating.

Playtesters and Other Requests:

Feel free to ask here, I will add your request to the topic post if it doesn't get fulfilled quickly. Go ahead and link your project thread as well if you like!

Help with AI Scripting for Custom Scenarios

For anyone struggling with AI scripting, this tool by Jan dc allows you to generate a competent AI tailored specifically to the needs of your custom scenario.

Current Projects and Screenshots:

We'd love to see screenshots and hear teasers from your current projects or whatever you've felt like working on. Feel free to post them and we'll start up a list below!

- Storm on the Steppe - by HockeySam18

- The Battle of Senc Tor - by Aristeides

- Wrath of the Traibs - by Possidon

- Aethelflaed Modification and Campaign - by Mash

- Paradise Lost Remastered - by Devastator

- Pirate's Treasure - by PresterJohn

- Barbarossa - the campaign - by Paul_TD

Tavern Staff:
Owners - HockeySam18 and Mr Wednesday
Patron and Resident Viking - Leif Ericson
President of the Board - Dead_End
Board Members - Popeychops and John the Late
Chef - Major Helper

"Hot" Barmaids:
Prester John
Miathemother

Menu:
Steak and ale pie
Rack of lamb
Grilled venison
Roasted iron boar
Spam
Vegetable medley

Drinks:
Glass of wine
Pint of ale
Bucket of ale
Tub of mead
Cider
Tea
Coffee
Guarana

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 07-27-2017 @ 08:49 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 05-29-18 06:04 PM CT (US)     1541 / 1611       
After several false starts I think now the issue has been found. Test situation:

So the trigger is tasking a player2 galley+longboat under ownership of an immobile AI into a beach tile and as you can clearly see the galley handles this no problem while the longboat sits there. I found this same issue in mash's scenario when the longboat couldnt be tasked into his beach there.

Replicated in normal userpatch1.5;my WK build with the exact same test worked fine for both units, however. I am not sure how to check what userpatch version is being used exactly, though.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 05-29-2018 @ 07:20 PM).]

Mash
Huskarl
(id: Mashek)
posted 05-29-18 08:22 PM CT (US)     1542 / 1611       
Thank you for looking into the issue in-depth Cata and for posting the screenshots. That issue definitely makes sense now. I can confirm there was no such bug with the previous version of UP. It's possible that this is a side effect of 1.5.
scripter64
Wolved
posted 05-30-18 08:48 AM CT (US)     1543 / 1611       
Will look into this, thanks!
scripter64
Wolved
posted 05-30-18 04:51 PM CT (US)     1544 / 1611       
K, the issue is caused by the fix for longboats idling on beach terrain due to having an improper unload ability in the a.g.e. unit tasks list. Will work on an alternative method of fixing the issue shortly. Sorry for the trouble!
scripter64
Wolved
posted 05-30-18 07:30 PM CT (US)     1545 / 1611       
K, a fix has been released to public beta for this issue. If you'd like to try it, please download here: http://userpatch.aiscripters.net/guide.html
UserPatch v1.5 Beta has been released (20180531-020000)! This update fixes several compatibility issues for WK and AI terrain handling for dock construction and gathering across terrain zones. In addition, a previous fix for longboat idling has been adjusted in order to ensure that scenario trigger tasking works as expected. Thanks to TriRem for the terrain report and Mash and Cataphract887 on AoKH for the longboat report! The multiplayer sync id has been updated, so all players in a game must have this build (6136) to play in multiplayer.
If you have time, please let me know if it works as expected.

[This message has been edited by scripter64 (edited 05-30-2018 @ 07:56 PM).]

Mash
Huskarl
(id: Mashek)
posted 05-31-18 10:09 PM CT (US)     1546 / 1611       
I justed tested the new patch and can confirm the update fixes the aforementioned bug! Many thanks, Scripter.
scripter64
Wolved
posted 05-31-18 11:28 PM CT (US)     1547 / 1611       
Thank you for confirming the fix
Trisolo
Squire
(id: scenario_t_c)
posted 06-29-18 02:54 AM CT (US)     1548 / 1611       
This may not be very relevant, but recently HawkAoC has gone through a hacker's attack and is now moved to www.hawkaoe.net

We will then proceed forward with the Chinese translation of the campaigns as mentioned before.

Member of Tsunami Studios
Scenario T.C.: “Yes, the traitors can’t be terminated.”
Richard Ames: “Scenario_t_c should take care of them in a succinct but humorous fashion.”
Don Jorge de Leon: “Ave Trisolo! Vive Trisolo!”
Rico_jolla
Squire
posted 07-22-18 05:32 AM CT (US)     1549 / 1611       
Display Instruction question:

So, when you display instructions, you have slots 0, 1, 2.

When an instruction without sound is played, there can be 2 or 3 instructions at the same time on the screen.

When a sound is played, the sound of the former instruction has to expire until the latter instruction is displayed.

There seems to be a "queue" of these instructions that wait to be played.
It puzzles me because sometimes when instruction 1 is over...instruction 2 (pending)...doesn't play!
After some times, when a third instruction kicks in, then the second instruction is "fetched back" for some reason and played.

...someone help me to get the logics of this, pls?

~--------------------------~{±}~--------------------------~
¤›> PROPHETS OF DOOM <‹¤
o›> Project Thread: https://tinyurl.com/y93q84s9
~---------------------------~÷~---------------------------~
rewaider
Squire
posted 07-22-18 05:52 AM CT (US)     1550 / 1611       
You're talking about HD or regular AOK?
Cause in HD it's buggy as hell indeed.
In regular AOK it should work without a problem. Even better if you're running it with Userpatch, since you can use the "stop sound effect".

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith
Rico_jolla
Squire
posted 07-22-18 06:09 AM CT (US)     1551 / 1611       
Oh sorry for not specifying it.
Regular Aok, with latest UP.

No, the "stop sound" just stops the sound. It is not desirable to cut in half an important dialogue.

I don't understand the priority system: sometimes old messages are skipped and then come back later on "with the excuse" of a new message.

Sometimes their sound is not played... so... ????

Little edit to the question before (damn you were to fast to answer, I didnt have the time to edit the post! hehe)
-Is there a way to make a regular unit self-healing like a hero?
-I have an facultative objective to complete. If I win it, the objective is ereased with a horizontal line, then deleted by the list, with his stupid sound.
BUT if i dont comply it, i try to just delete it from the list by deactivating the trigger...and it makes the stupid sound such as I succeeded! How can I make it go away silently?

thx

~--------------------------~{±}~--------------------------~
¤›> PROPHETS OF DOOM <‹¤
o›> Project Thread: https://tinyurl.com/y93q84s9
~---------------------------~÷~---------------------------~
rewaider
Squire
posted 07-22-18 06:25 AM CT (US)     1552 / 1611       
No, the "stop sound" just stops the sound. It is not desirable to cut in half an important dialogue.

I don't understand the priority system: sometimes old messages are skipped and then come back later on "with the excuse" of a new message.

Sometimes their sound is not played... so... ????
I believe it works better if you "clear instructions" (txt area) before displaying the next one.
But in most cases the "play sound" effects is much easier to deal with... Not to mention that it doesn't eats up a part of your screen (for texts).
-Is there a way to make a regular unit self-healing like a hero?
You can do that in two ways.
1 - By making a looping trigger with the "heal" effect for every 3 seconds.
2 - By using the up-effect or attribute to change the unit's properties to HERO unit.
and it makes the stupid sound such as I succeeded! How can I make it go away silently?
It's impossible, as far as I know.

My Blacksmith
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
(id: Great_Artiste)
posted 08-02-18 08:42 AM CT (US)     1553 / 1611       
Anyone knows where I could find a Taunt to trigg AI? Checked the blacksmith with no luck...

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
rewaider
Squire
posted 08-02-18 09:08 AM CT (US)     1554 / 1611       
Where it's always been...

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 08-02-2018 @ 09:09 AM).]

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-02-18 09:10 AM CT (US)     1555 / 1611       
I searched...

Thank you

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-02-18 12:53 PM CT (US)     1556 / 1611       
Hmm I checked it out, but with this method (AI checking resources) I only can have 4 taunts. Or is it so?

rewaider
Squire
posted 08-02-18 01:44 PM CT (US)     1557 / 1611       
If you want to use the taunts multiple times (each one), yes. Else you can just go with the AI signals.
Now with userpatch I believe you can tribute some hidden resources as well.

My Blacksmith
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-02-18 01:59 PM CT (US)     1558 / 1611       
So how should I set it up for lets say, taunted skills?

rewaider
Squire
posted 08-02-18 02:05 PM CT (US)     1559 / 1611       
Using the resources.
If you need more taunts, then create the system for more AIs.

My Blacksmith
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-02-18 02:13 PM CT (US)     1560 / 1611       
So if I use 2 players with the AI in LB's utility I can set up...8 taunts?

rewaider
Squire
posted 08-02-18 03:25 PM CT (US)     1561 / 1611       
Yeah.
If you wanna use each one of them multiple times yes.

My Blacksmith
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-02-18 05:26 PM CT (US)     1562 / 1611       
Thank you

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-03-18 10:55 AM CT (US)     1563 / 1611       
I own Rewaider a bucket of ale. Waiter!

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
posted 08-05-18 04:52 AM CT (US)     1564 / 1611       
How can I avoid overlapping when using 2 AIs for taunts? How can I avoid one ai's wood trigger firing when I only want the other AIs wood trigger to fire?

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 08-05-2018 @ 11:04 AM).]

carbonara
Squire
posted 08-14-18 01:15 PM CT (US)     1565 / 1611       
Hi Guys,

Has anyone else encountered issues with transport ships not unloading when attacked ?

I'm doing something for a fixed force scenario where the computer enemy lands troops at a beach. It works fine when the player doesnt attack the transports but sometimes if they get hit by a stray scorpion bolt some of them wont unload.

Any ideas to make it 100% accurate with the unloading as it affects the balance of the scenario if some of the ships dont unload ?

At the moment I have various triggers for each ship setup like this:

Computer player, immobile AI

Trigger 1
LOOP
Condition: Desired transport in desired area (inverse)
Effect: Task desired transport to desired area

Trigger 2
Condition: Desired transport in desired area
Effect: Deactivate trigger 1
Effect: Unload desired transport

Many Thanks in advance for any help.
rewaider
Squire
posted 08-14-18 03:22 PM CT (US)     1566 / 1611       
Add in a "Units garrisoned" (1) and "object in area" (near the beach) condition into trigger 2 and then make it loop. You can remove the "desactivate trigger" effect as well. Oh, and add a timer (2-3) too
It should work this way as far as i remember

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 08-14-2018 @ 03:23 PM).]

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-16-18 06:30 AM CT (US)     1567 / 1611       
I've been knee-deep in ideas and discussions with TeeJoe, in regards to working together on a multiplayer rpg project for HD (With all DLCs)

Second to that I'm also coming up with a plan to gradually work on a rework of Silent Evil to HD, as the original port had appauling performance on HD and I never got around to fixing it, so I'm going to make some form of "Redux" just for Steam.

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 08-16-2018 @ 06:32 AM).]

Hammister
Squire
posted 08-17-18 09:59 AM CT (US)     1568 / 1611       
Since I found no other place to do this: I just wanted to say hello. I´m hammister and kinda enjoy designing scenarios and campaigns for aoe2 since the beginning of this year.
On this amazing website I found so many hints, articels and tools. It is so amazing and of course helpful!
Thank you very much for all the effort you guys are doing to keep the aoe2 community growing.
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-17-18 01:42 PM CT (US)     1569 / 1611       
Welcome, Hammister! I've had a brief look at some of your work on the Steam Workshop - very impressive for less than a year in the scenario editor! Hope you stick around with us here

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1
Bassi
Squire
posted 08-18-18 02:09 PM CT (US)     1570 / 1611       
Hey Hammister! Good to have you around here!

My AoC Workshop
Make Build & Destroy great again!
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-19-18 02:29 PM CT (US)     1571 / 1611       
Welcome to AoKH

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 08-27-18 11:31 PM CT (US)     1572 / 1611       
So I'm hoping someone smarter than me can tell me how this is possible to do;
;spearmen
(defrule
(unit-type-count-total 93 < 2)
(can-train 93)
=>
(train 93)
(chat-local-to-self "spearmen")
)
;pikeman
(defrule
(unit-type-count-total 358 < 2)
(can-train 358)
=>
(train 358)
(chat-local-to-self "pikeman")
)

As you can see the AI wants to train pikemen because it has less than two, but everytime it goes to queue one up it selects a spearman instead. Apparently ES didn't make the AI handle having the same unit line available multiple times. Both players are being effected by the same UP Effect.

The only idea I have to address this is to make a looping set of triggers that gives the AI access to only pikemen for a minute, then only spearmen, pikemen again etc to infinity.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 08-31-18 10:42 PM CT (US)     1573 / 1611       
Spent a whole afternoon wrestling with random condition chance generators and am completely stumped. Here is my test setup;

trigger initiate; off, no
condition;if treb in area (the 'on' switch for testing)
activate trigger left
activate trigger right
activate chance failed

trigger left; off, no
condition;timer 2
condition;chance -50%
create object palisade on the left road
create object stone wall on the right road
activate trigger chance success
print;left

trigger right; off, no
condition;timer 4
condition;chance -50%
create object palisade on the right road
create object stone wall on the left road
activate trigger chance success
print;right

chance success; off, no
disable trigger left
disable trigger right
activate trigger loop sequence
disable chance failed (should prevent the loop if a random number if found)

chance failed; off, no
condition; timer 14
activate trigger initiate (if no random number is found then we start all over again and again until a palisade is created)

loop sequence; off, no
condition; timer 12
remove object; stone wall
remove object; palisade
activate trigger; initiate sequence (this trigger clears the deck for the randomizer to create a new number, more like in 3-5 minutes rather than 12 seconds)

This all actually works fine and dandy. Until I left it running longer and realized it has a huge flaw which no number of revisions and adjustments can prevent. The left and right triggers can actually fire simultaneously!

In this screenshot both triggers fired in the very same instant as I watched. There should be a palisade on the righthand side, but the 'left' trigger activated a fraction of a second earlier and blocked it. Even though they are staggered with timers...

...also after several minutes of functioning the whole system shuts down and wont generate new numbers anymore. I loaded it in TS but there was nothing illuminating there, it gave it a green thumbs up all across the board.

rewaider
Squire
posted 09-01-18 00:01 AM CT (US)     1574 / 1611       
Yeah, the random number condition isn't quite as intuitive as it sounds.
There's indeed a small delay in between the execution of each trigger. I dont know exactly how many milliseconds it is, but its certainly present... Specially because it gets MUCH more noticeable if one is ~700 triggers away from the other.
The only workaround I found to this issue (used in my previous scenario) was to decrease the first percentage a little bit and increase the second one by that same amount. I believe you can even write some sort of equation to even them out nicely - since the first trigger will always override the second one, even if both conditions are met.

If you really need pin point precision, you can always resort to the AI's randomizer tho.

EDIT: If there are only TWO possible outcomes, use just 1 random number condition with a 50 (first trigger, representing the first outcome). Then, below it, create trigger 2 with a 1s timer set to fire for the *second* outcome; and then a desactivate trigger 1 effect.
Going back to the first trigger, create a desactivate trigger 2 effect right after the random number condition.
RESULT: Trigger 1 will fire 50% of the time, desactivating trigger 2 and leading to the first outcome. And the other 50% will be t2's.

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 09-01-2018 @ 00:17 AM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 09-01-18 10:57 AM CT (US)     1575 / 1611       
EDIT: If there are only TWO possible outcomes
Unfortunately I need to call a number between 1 and 15;I made this 50-50 test scenario just to simplify things. It seems like the timer conditions in the triggers with chance conditions are not resetting after being activated\deactivated;they start instant firing without any regard for the timer delay I place on them. I think I am going to need to create a physical timer and ditch the timer condition.
Yeah, the random number condition isn't quite as intuitive as it sounds.
You can say that again. Whelp, I will keep wrestling with it later. I am sure it must be possible to figure out somehow.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 43 44 45 46  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames