You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.890 replies, Sticky
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Exchequer: Review Requests, Guidelines, and Tutorials
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Exchequer: Review Requests, Guidelines, and Tutorials
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 22 23 24 25 26  Next Page »
Possidon
Slayer
posted 08-03-15 03:51 PM CT (US)         

Welcome to The Exchequer!

This is a place for forummers to exchange comments, reviews and critique for files which they have downloaded and played. Here you can request reviews for your files, talk about file's you've recently downloaded and learn about how to write reviews and the rewards that come with it. Anybody can write a review for a requested file, you don't have to have any special requirements. It's not just for official reviewers.

WHY SHOULD I WRITE REVIEWS?

There are great things about writing reviews. Reviews are very useful for the file uploaders because it shows them what other people think about their files. It allows them to see what is good and bad about their files, and the reviews also offer constructive criticism that will include suggestions on how to improve the file in a future update. Reviews are also helpful for downloaders because it gives the downloader an idea of what to expect when they download the file.

Rewards
When a reviewer reaches a certain milestone they may earn rewards for their achievements:

• 10 reviews: the ability to choose a custom title for your forum profile.
  • 25 reviews: become eligible to receive Official Reviewer status, and the denotation as such in one's Blacksmith profile.
  • Every subsequent 10 reviews (e.g. upon reaching 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 etc), the ability to choose a new custom title for forum profile.

• BECOMING AN OFFICIAL REVIEWER

Once a forummer has written 25 approved reviews they are eligible to become an Official Reviewer, although this is not guaranteed and may require further improvement on the reviewer's behalf. Official reviewers should be the most dedicated reviewers, writing detailed and constructive reviews that help improve the files they review. All reviews that are rated 4.0 or above by official reviewers will appear in The Blacksmith's Best Files list. Requests to become an official reviewer should be sent via email to HockeySam.

ACTIVE THREAD REVIEWERS
    (In order of number of reviews)

Possidon (41), Cataphract887 (198), Lord Basse (128), Mashek (125), Jatayu (84), HockeySam18 (82), Popeychops (66), Julius999 (31), Great_Artiste (28), kud13 (15)

OFFICIAL REVIEWERS
    (In order of number of reviews)

Possidon (241), Tanneur99 (229), Cataphract887 (198), Lord Basse (128), Mashek (125), BrandNewCar (91), Jatayu (84), HockeySam18 (82), Panel (76), Popeychops (66), CerberusXXL (36), Angel Jerusalem (34), Devestator (33), Stephen Richards (31), Julius999 (31), RoboPaul88 (26), DTrungle (25), RF_Gandalf (24), Angel Rasher (23), Angel Park (22), The Downward Spiral (22), Mr Wednesday (20), AnastasiaKafka (20), Cherub Lobby (20), Berserker Jerker (18), Mayank Sharma (12), Dark_Warrior_1_ (11), Ingo van Thiel (8), Matei (7), Cat (6), Gordon Farrell (5), Angel SpineMan (4), Cherub thurdl01 (2)

REVIEW REQUESTS LIST

The list below consists of a number of requests and/or downloads recently reviewed. Requests are marked R and updates U. Anybody is free to review whichever file they want, but should be aware that the designers at the top of each list are waiting the longest for a review. Files that have received a review in the time of request in this thread will be removed from the list unless a second opinion is requested.

Cinematic Scenarios:

Showcase Scenarios:

Single Player:
    R Alba gu Brath, by Possidon: No Reviewer
    R Cavern Pirates - Captain's Revenge, by rewaider; No Reviewer
    R Project: Just Juice, by Lil_Lebowski; No Reviewer
    R DOOM, by HELLKNIGHT61; No Reviewer
    R Wrath of the Traibs, by Possidon; No Reviewer

Multiplayer:
    R Ardar Diplomacy, by croatianboss; No reviewer
    R The Lord of the Rings, by croatianboss; No reviewer

Mod Packs:
    R Wheel of Time: End of the Third Age - Beta, by Seonid; Reviewer: Mashek
    R Realism Mod v1.12 - 250 pop limit, unit/tech edits, by Keisari Tapsa; No Reviewer
    R Still in the Dark Age, by Mr Mew; No reviewer
    R Hero Expansion Redux, by Possidon; No Reviewer'
    R Tower of London, by Pepp; No Reviewer
    R Avignon Palace, by Pepp; No Reviewer
    R Duomo di Siena, by Pepp; No Reviewer
    R Borderland Empires, by Khan Ivayl; No Reviewer
    WAIFor's Amusement Mod 2.4, by WAIFor; Reviewer: Possidon 4.0
    Dover Castle, by DeathPreacher; Reviewer: Possidon 4.5
    Spartan Warrior, by Achesun; Reviewer: Possidon 5.0

Utilities:
    R Notepad++ AI Editor, by beladar; No Reviewer
    R Custom Icons Pack, by Possidon; No Reviewer

AI Files:

Random Maps:

Recorded Games:

FILE UPDATES AND OBSELETE REVIEWS

Please edit your review after an update. A designer can ask for the removal of all reviews after an update if he feels that they do not represent the actual version of his submission. Reviews that address issues that are fixed, altered or ameliorated do not serve the visitors of our site. A review has to be a valuable tool for the designer and the downloader.

RECENT UPDATES/ REVIEWS TO EDIT
    (In order of date of the update)

Please read the REVIEW GUIDELINES

Without trying to enforce the Review Guidelines as something as law, they are still a very important part of the review system here at Age of Kings Heaven, and are used to create consistency between reviewers at the Blacksmith in order to establish fairness and equality for reviews. With the Review Guidelines’ recent update all reviewers need to take into account the new addition of rules when reviewing. However, Angel SpineMan’s primary objective for reviewing in the Old Guidelines still applies today:

“This article will provide a description of how to write quality reviews for Age of Kings Heaven that are scored consistently between reviewers and are helpful to both the file's creator as well as the potential downloader.”

In some cases, a small percentage of reviewers tend to review files according to their own rules, leading to inconsistency between reviews at the Blacksmith, which is neither helpful nor fair to anyone. To have reviews at the Blacksmith that are fair and helpful, reviewers have to follow some rules to score consistently.

If you have any questions about reviewing, please do not hesitate to post in this thread!

Single Player Campaigns and Scenarios

There are many invaluable lessons to learn when becoming a good reviewer, and a few other things besides that will result in a good and fair review. Some things are self-evident when reviewing a file; in general, do not review game styles you do not enjoy and review files according to the date of its release. There are many files back in 2000-2002 that received a score of a high 4, which would not fit the standards of today. You have to take into account the standards of the day, and rate accordingly. In addition, if the scenario is designed for original Age of Kings, review it playing AoK.

Below you will find a general breakdown of each category from a review for your convenience.

PLAYABILITY is about the fun you had while playing a scenario, and here you need to mention what affected your enjoyment in a positive and/or negative way.

BALANCE is about how easy or difficult a scenario was for you. You should mention which difficulty you played on when reviewing, although this is not mandatory. A good approach to reviewing a file would be to start with moderate and later change to standard, to see if the scenario was too easy or too hard or well-balanced overall; before ending off with hard difficulty. However, reviewers will need to take into account that not all files are difficulty-level-dynamic. In general, remember that you are rating the file according to your own skill level and not that of others.

CREATIVITY covers every aspect of a scenario. Remember that a file does not need anything new to achieve a high score.

MAP DESIGN scores compared to a random map which rates 2.0. Anything worse or better than a random map may be rated up or down accordingly. Some tips for rating this category is that you rate what you see during game play, which means no Marco and Polo. The map size and how much of the map was used should not affect the rating.

STORY/INSTRUCTIONS is a little more interesting than some. Probably the most common detail reviewers tend to overlook is that this category covers two aspects of any scenario, story and instructions. Not just one or the other. If the file is lacking in one then you can make note of that in the review and mark down accordingly. However, this does not pertain to multiplayer scenarios, whereby a story is not mandatory. In general, the presence of a functional story (while not necessarily being a good story) with instructions should be midpoint, a 3. From there you should be able to give an accurate overall rating for this category.

Non-Playable Scenarios

For files such as those where playability is void and map design is the only feature of the file (e.g. entries to the Totally-Terrain Contest), the category should therefore be used to take a look at the technical and creative qualities of the map design, while referring to how that design pushes the boundaries of realism in an AOK environment. One particular thing to note here is that just because the file is all about pretty map design, that doesn’t mean it cannot feature any creative features that might breathe life into the design, such as towns brought to life by wandering villagers, people going about their everyday lives, and other unique devices besides. Basically, anything that goes into making the map more alive and as such realistic should be taken into consideration. As the file will likely feature little anything else other than map design, a single overall rating between 1 and 5 will be fine.

Scenarios without Fighting

An exception to the balance category is when the author of a particular file did not intend any fighting, or very little of, to feature in the scenario. From the review guidelines:

One important note about scoring the balance category for scenarios is that where no fighting takes place, such as some puzzle scenarios and some RPG-style scenarios, is that just because the player cannot die in such scenarios, that doesn't mean the scenario isn't balanced. Difficulty can also be present via puzzles or other devices, and the balance of these should be taken into account.

For files such as the Pretty Town Contest entries whereby there is a great degree of walking and nothing else much, reviewers should therefore take into account the author’s intention. If it was intended that you walk around and gaze at the beauty and wonder of a landscape, then you need to rate on that account.

Rating Cut-scene Style Scenarios

Cut-scenes rate like any other scenario, the defining factor being that most cut-scenes do not allow any interaction for the player, requiring only that the player sits down and watches. One thing to note is the change of the category BALANCE to PACING, which primarily denotes the flow of the cut-scene. Well timed sequences with good flow should score strongly here, while cut-scenes with little structure or planning, sound effects appearing out of sync and the like, should score poorly.

Modification Pack Script

A Modification Pack Script (MPS) is mainly an item for the player, which has a limited use for designers; the content will not always suit a designer’s endeavours in scenario design and is very limited to its audience. Keep this in mind when you rate mod pack scripts for USEFULNESS/NOVELTY and QUALITY/INSTRUCTIONS. The main categories are USEFULNESS and QUALITY for the overall rating of a MPS. Use NOVELTY and INSTRUCTIONS to correct the category rating. Still, for a perfect rating the MPS has to excel in all four categories.

Utilities

There is no official guideline for reviewing utilities, but for some ideas you can go here. A utility is a tool for the designer and has hardly any use for the player; keep this in mind when you rate utilities for USEFULNESS/NOVELTY and QUALITY/INSTRUCTIONS. Often you cannot rate the novelty factor because the file is another eye candy map of Lord of the Rings, a Volcano, Waterfall, Trigger Guide, Tutorial or collection of battle sounds. In other words, nothing new. Originally the fifth category was Creativity but this was too close to Novelty, better to have the two rated together if possible. When you feel Novelty does not apply, you can replace it with Creativity. The four categories are of equal importance for the overall rating of a utility.

Random Map Script

Review Thread History

Luke Gevaerts started the Review Request Thread 03/30/2002. Tanneur took over 11/30/2002 until 7/11/2009. Mashek then hosted the thread until 05/19/2012, when it was taken over by Panel until about 01/10/14. After Panel stepped down as staff, it was left alone for about 6 months without being updated until Possidon took over the thread where it was completely revamped and turned into The Exchequer.

[This message has been edited by Mash (edited 08-03-2019 @ 08:03 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
    Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 04-10-18 04:07 PM CT (US)     806 / 890       
    The map scoring guidelines indeed have a reference to mapping boosting playabilty, and I have used this on a number of occasions myself, most notably in Siege of Medieburg which was close to a random map though cleverly designed to offer fun gameplay. Even so that was really just an excuse to boost the score on a scenario without much technical value due to liking it;the usage here with Ulio while valid still has some appearance of a last desperate clutching at straws to keep the score up
    I personally wouldn't bother reviewing it because it already has been copiously reviewed and there are newer files that I would rather invest the time in reviewing first, but I likely would not object if someone reviewed it as a 4.0 or something similar. This is one campaign that, when viewed as a whole, probably has not aged particularly well.
    I might have done so a year+ ago, but although the arguments made here by me along these lines I no longer have any intention of going back and reviewing these titles I did review a few of the worst of the Best of AoKH like "Last Hope of the Great East" but I realized there is no point downrating the best scenarios until the even worse and more dated scenarios below them are also downrated. So the task is just too big to tackle. Might sound strange coming from me, but I am now rather busy with projects elsewhere to be churning reviews like I once did

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 04-10-2018 @ 04:37 PM).]

Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 04-10-18 06:27 PM CT (US)     807 / 890       
    The Blacksmith average score for Ulio would survive a review or two in the 4.6-4.8 range, I think. It has so many 5.0 reviews already.
    I would both rate Ulio a 4.8 and call it a better campaign than some files I would give a 5.0, indeed possibly the best campaign of all time. Those numbers are not directly relativistic;many of the scores are heavily based on technical value. There is a great deal of apples, oranges and pears in those review scores, and one file having a higher score than another file does not necessarily mean I think its an inherently better or more fun file. Some files like Winter Storm are held down quite a bit by a few glaring issues but I still think they are amazing files worthy of playing and emulation. You might find this a completely absurd statement above, but I find a 5\5 review system to be so vague and imprecise you cannot really demand that the scores align completely perfectly with overall value, especially when the value of a certain score could exceed 5;for example, Ulio is a 6\5 in story, clearly. Doesn't help its score though.
    I agree to an extent, but even with a range of 1.0 to 5.0 (on which the vast majority of scenarios made with any effort score 3.0 to 5.0) I think there is one anchoring principle: 5.0/5.0 should reflect a file which is one of the very best in its class. What else is full marks for? I don't think the reviewer should try to score each of the five categories in perfect isolation and without taking into account what the overall score will be; the overall score can help inform on which side of a particular line a debatable category should be scored. I think it was Tanneur who remarked that the hallmark of good reviewing was often being surprised by the overall score, and I always thought that was bonkers.

I don't think there is a class of files in the Blacksmith that is bigger than single player playable scenarios/campaigns, and in that class Ulio is surely among the best. I think that raises a strong presumption in favour of giving it 5.0.

There might be exceptional cases where this principle should be departed from, for a scenario which is a masterpiece apparently from one real flaw - although I think the scoring of When The Wheel Breaks was not a good choice for invoking this idea, and nor would Ulio be.

I did also like Tamerlane a lot, especially the first playable scenario and the Delhi scenario. Undoubtedly it was one of the best few scenarios/campaigns throughout the early years of the Blacksmith. I think there is more of an argument than there is with Ulio that it doesn't stand out quite as strongly now. For example, the opening cutscene scenario is a bit odd.
    I did review a few of the worst of the Best of AoKH like "Last Hope of the Great East" but I realized there is no point downrating the best scenarios until the even worse and more dated scenarios below them are also downrated. So the task is just too big to tackle.
    I've never played it, but the contrast between your review and Possidon's is interesting!

The old campaign which I always harp on about as being over-rated is The Nexus. When you read the reviews of the likes of Possidon and some idiot called Lord Basse, the impression is quite impossible to match up with reality.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
    Member of Stormwind Studios

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 04-10-2018 @ 06:32 PM).]

Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 04-10-18 07:16 PM CT (US)     808 / 890       
    I did also like Tamerlane a lot, especially the first playable scenario and the Delhi scenario. Undoubtedly it was one of the best few scenarios/campaigns throughout the early years of the Blacksmith.
    Yeah of course, I have played this campaign atleast half a dozen times over the years. It was one of my first 10 downloads from the smithy, I remember some of those. spring 2001 I think;fresh off ES and the saxonrevolt. Quest, Tamerlane, TKBM, Rage of the Drunk Fisherman, Moses:Liberator of the Hebrews...not much of a fan of those last two. My impressions early on were more of a mixed bag, and right from the start there were super high rated files I didnt like one bit. The Nexus has random maps in it, though I dont clearly remember playing it offhand.

Tamerlane was a good play back in those days when I was an even bigger noob than I am now, and it was an appropriately balanced game back then. Problem for me is, I have changed drastically in skill over the years and last time I played it in '17 it was just boring because it was easy. The B&D sections are the problem, where they dont really put up much resistance except to make it tedious to win is all. The last three or was it four maps were absurd. Like the one with three enemies and you can kill two;you can just ASAP two castles, and focus only on mangudai and easily kill off all attackers and their siege without much losses. I finished this one on hard in a little over an hour ingame and im sure a more energetic player could have blitzed this much sooner. Its easy so the balance seems low, and the easiness makes it boring which reduces playability. After that has happened I am no longer of the mindset to be generous with the other scoring either. I should emphasize im not a good player by voobly standards, but the skill of players has only gone up over the years and those B&D are standing still.

I was playing some of the mrcinoj scenarios lately and they put up a good challenge still, even the 2001 HYW. Maybe thats because it was not B&D though.
    Lord Basse
    Who again? I sometimes see this name in the active user list but he never posts. Forgot how, I guess.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 04-10-2018 @ 07:56 PM).]

Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 04-10-18 09:01 PM CT (US)     809 / 890       
    Where do you stand on The Quest?

I think that one is a sacred cow. But I think maybe the Blacksmith is allowed one sacred cow - it was uploaded on Christmas Day 1999! Also it was the first scenario that I downloaded when visiting AoKH in, I think, early 2005.

Purely on its merits it still stands up as a pretty good scenario, perhaps 4.0 level. It also gets some reflected glory from The King's Best Men.

Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 04-10-18 09:22 PM CT (US)     810 / 890       
    I think The Quest is pretty good, a model scenario to imitate. I dont recall its B&D ever being as amazing as the first part, but its ok there. Ive discussed it a few times around here or the playthrough thread. I never thought too deeply about rating it but something in the mid 4.5 actually. I find the scenarios based on story age the best, since that far predates the game and is a timeless skill. The main appeal is indeed its characters and the tie in with TKBM which I actually slightly prefer to Ulio even though its hard to call. Its characters left a deeper impression on me than the person of Ulio himself, although his story on the whole is indeed epic. Hockeysam made a nice post recently on The Quest which I pretty much agree with. Maybe 4\4\5\4\5 from me there.

Tamerlane has story too, but too many times the author put in some "humorous" dialogue that just makes me facepalm nowadays. The overall text is rather skimpy too, in winning messages and descriptions etc. There really isnt much there if you add it all up and do a word count, I think.

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 04-10-2018 @ 10:56 PM).]

ArnulfFloyd
    Squire
    posted 04-11-18 02:10 AM CT (US)     811 / 890       
    I am fascinated by Tamerlane, but unfortunely dialog sucks because comical way follow by author, also all scenarios are limited in scope and aimed at large audience, resulting in most fastidious campaign ever.

King's Best Men seem well-crafted but as of Ingo's scenarios and campaigns has flaws in map design, I not give 5.0 to them because these present us early AOC era when people trying create ambitious works but many failing in certain parts which struggle me
    Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 04-11-18 12:45 PM CT (US)     812 / 890       
    You say every scenario is a struggle

I need to redo that coastal terrain article from scratch. Maybe divide it up even more into beach, river, water itself. It was never received nearly so well as the first article on steam too.

HockeySam18
    Dúnadan
    posted 04-11-18 01:06 PM CT (US)     813 / 890       
    The dialogues in Tamerlane were certainly somewhat juvenile from time to time, although the only insufferably cringe-worthy bit for me was the Britney Spears tangent in the third playable scenario. After my first playthrough of the campaign, I promptly dispatched that particular sound file to the recycle bin where it belongs.

I'm glad that you found my write-up on The Quest memorable enough to reference, Cataphract. It was one of my first downloads as well, and, although rudimentary, got a lot of things fundamentally right. One of Ingo's great strengths was his unfailing ability to craft a believable world that yields a good amount of immersion value.
    The old campaign which I always harp on about as being over-rated is The Nexus.
    Even at the time that it was released, The Nexus was inexplicably overrated. I struggle to see any category in which it could have compared favorably with other top campaigns released at the same time, or even with the original ES campaigns, for that matter.

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1
    ArnulfFloyd
    Squire
    posted 04-11-18 02:23 PM CT (US)     814 / 890       
    If A Letter from Duke is released as a scenario, I give +4 because was cool due to many tricks, I winning second time since autumn with 1 or 2 lost units, not seems too hard for me as I believe. Regarding also Tamerlane, I played campaign without music because I don't like pop music, I considers as author maybe put a good classic rock song and a mature dialogue, Tamerlane is so much better than was released in 2000 to praise of many players and designers, but since were release superior campaigns and scenarios, are discovered cool tricks and important improvements received from Userpatch and HD AOK, but this is my opinion, my dear

[This message has been edited by ArnulfFloyd (edited 04-11-2018 @ 02:40 PM).]

Al_Kharn the Great
    Squire
    posted 04-11-18 03:15 PM CT (US)     815 / 890       
    There was some irrational exuberance about SCN Punk in their day. I think the historical passion for The Nexus was colored by that.

Filthydelphia Creations
    Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
    City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
    Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
    Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
    Complete Campaign Collection
    ArnulfFloyd
    Squire
    posted 04-11-18 04:04 PM CT (US)     816 / 890       
    I've observing how Tamerlane and many old campaigns from that era are rated 5.0 but reviewing nowadays we can found as them including flaws, because were created in AOK, many include heroes with original names resulting then in flawed pieces. I know since 2010 as map editor due to engine was already out-dated despite releasing HD version, many things not are fixed compared to a indie studio as Taleworlds always improve base game over years but modders can create good versions. Regarding AOKHD editor, veterans Al-Kharn the Great and Bassi make a "renaissance" aimed at AOKH audience than community from here and I believe as these deserves good ratings than many Steam uploads because are cool...
    Bassi
    Squire
    posted 04-11-18 04:46 PM CT (US)     817 / 890       
    I think you are a bit too hard on the old material. It's kind of like blaming a Charlie Chaplin movie for not having Dolby Surround sound.
    As for Tamerlane in particular, do not forget that this campaign was released at a time when you could consider yourself lucky when you found a Custom Campaign to work somewhat properly. Judging from the scenarios you could otherwise download, Tamerlane was a firework of creativity. Of course, the campaign is no longer necessarily a 5.0 at all levels measured by today's standards. But that's a trivial, unsurprising realization. What makes the campaign so significant is the impact it has had and still has on many designers.
    I find it completely unnecessary to go to court with these campaigns again in the form of a review. I would suggest the following: Why not instead write an article (or a series) that has the old classics on the subject? Here you could put together a good overview over all sorts of classic campaigns and report in detail, which still play well, even for today's standards, and which have not aged so well. I think that could be an exciting text, much more useful than a series of reviews.

My AoC Workshop
    Make Build & Destroy great again!
    Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 04-11-18 05:00 PM CT (US)     818 / 890       
    That is a good suggestion, Bassi. However, I think there is some place for re-visiting old files to correct clear outliers, bearing in mind that from time to time people may arrive at the Blacksmith looking for files that are good.
    There was some irrational exuberance about SCN Punk in their day. I think the historical passion for The Nexus was colored by that.
    That can't be the whole story though.

Someone said this in 2006:
    "I played twice in a row. I did not eat, drink or sleep. When you've played 10 times you still get that sense of enjoyment you got the first time you played."

Someone said this in 2007:
    "The first two scenarios look like they were made a year or so before the third and the rest. They're much more flat and undetailed that the rest, but they still have the elevations making them realistic. This can be used as a trick. The player starts playing, find the story very interesting but the map quite mediocre. But as the story developes, the map design does the same and it all comes to its climax, the player is totally captured by the whole campaign."

Someone said this in 2008:
    "The map was excellent, and looked very realistic."

Someone said this in 2010:
    "I played again and again without getting bored. [...] One of the Best Campaigns in the Blacksmith! A MUST Download!"

What happened to all these people?

Bassi
    Squire
    posted 04-11-18 05:09 PM CT (US)     819 / 890       
    What happened to all these people?
    They wanted more enjoyable scenarios, but all they found was sea rocks 1 and 2, broken carts, flower patches and path 1-4.

My AoC Workshop
    Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 04-11-18 05:12 PM CT (US)     820 / 890       
    I hear one of them made a scenario or two that turned out to be quite popular.

Bassi
    Squire
    posted 04-11-18 05:24 PM CT (US)     821 / 890       
    Hahaha! Ah, I see!
    MAP DESIGN: 5-
    !? This was never a 5, not even in 2000. The Nexus' good reputation is really a special case I don't fully understand.

My AoC Workshop
    Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 04-11-18 05:26 PM CT (US)     822 / 890       
    I find it completely unnecessary to go to court with these campaigns again in the form of a review. I would suggest the following: Why not instead write an article (or a series) that has the old classics on the subject? Here you could put together a good overview over all sorts of classic campaigns and report in detail, which still play well, even for today's standards, and which have not aged so well. I think that could be an exciting text, much more useful than a series of reviews.
    Not that it matters with current activity levels, but people are coming to the blacksmith to find good works to play, and for myself I for years simply clicked "Best of AoKH" and then attempted to find something interesting to play. It quickly becomes evident even back when I started, and even moreso over the years, that one does not simply download every single file and enjoy each one. There are plenty of duds in there;"Last Hope of the Great East" as already mentioned is a 2.4 from me, "Penitence City" is on the first page of the scenarios list sporting a 5.0 beneath Gyda's Challenge but is mediocre at best, and the campaigns first page has the notorious "The Nexus" which no one should have the misfortune of being recommended to play early on. People are actually coming to the blacksmith for potentially their first time and have a chance to get a rather poor experience out of it. These files make us all look bad. I always relied on the reviews and scores to find good materiel myself so I think it helps for them to be accurate. Anyhow as mentioned I have no time or intention to review Tamerlane etc.

That looks more aggressive than intended.

Something I really like about the steam workshop is they have a rotating selection of top works on display with their thumbnail so you can see whats up. The files featured get big views and many downloads while there. The problem is an AI algorithm decides who is featured and it doesnt work very well with random stuff in there. This would be pretty cool on the blacksmith to combine with some good curation, so highly playable files could have a spotlight shone on them from time to time. I feel like stuff gets buried as soon as its out of direct sight pretty easily.

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 04-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM).]

Al_Kharn the Great
    Squire
    posted 04-11-18 06:49 PM CT (US)     823 / 890       
    You could make a curated best of list and ask for it to be featured on the main page somewhere. Maybe other veteran designers and players would do the same.

I also haven't seen any Top 10 campaigns set in Japan or Top 20 RPGs, etc lists posted here. There's other ways to get things featured.

Filthydelphia Creations
    Possidon
    Slayer
    posted 04-12-18 08:09 AM CT (US)     824 / 890       
    Way back in like 2009 Julius99 hosted a survey type thing to see what people voted the top 50 best scenarios of all time. Many year have passed since then, and many more great scenario. I've been thinking about hosting another one to see what differs today, maybe something might outdo Ulio for the top spot. Do you guys think I should do it?
    Popeychops
    "Cool" Huskarl
    posted 04-12-18 12:11 PM CT (US)     825 / 890       
    That would be an incredible thing to revisit, especially if we could get more ballots or more completed ballots. IIRC two nominations was enough to make it on last time.

Member of BlackForest Studios
    Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
    and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
    "Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
    "Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
    "You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
    Al_Kharn the Great
    Squire
    posted 04-12-18 12:24 PM CT (US)     826 / 890       
    I never even heard of Revenge of the Templar.

Filthydelphia Creations
    The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    (id: Great_Artiste)
    posted 04-12-18 12:30 PM CT (US)     827 / 890       
    It's an RPG set in Paris, after the Templar Purge. You're supposed to revenge your fallen comrades by asaasinating the three guilty "judges". It's a beautiful scenario tbh

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 04-12-2018 @ 12:31 PM).]

Jatayu
    Squire
    (id: Sword_of_STORM)
    posted 04-12-18 12:45 PM CT (US)     828 / 890       
    I'll see what I can do Jatayu
    Thanks, GA. I'm looking forward to your review.

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
    `
    Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
    ि
    StormWind Studios
    The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    posted 04-12-18 01:08 PM CT (US)     829 / 890       
    I had a quick glance at it, all the way to where the main B&D starts. So far I'm amazed what you managed to produce in your first HD try as well as in a such a short amount of time. I'll try and get you a review over the weekend, but dont quote me on that please

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 04-12-2018 @ 01:09 PM).]

Jatayu
    Squire
    posted 04-12-18 01:30 PM CT (US)     830 / 890       
    Way back in like 2009 Julius99 hosted a survey type thing to see what people voted the top 50 best scenarios of all time. Many year have passed since then, and many more great scenario. I've been thinking about hosting another one to see what differs today, maybe something might outdo Ulio for the top spot. Do you guys think I should do it?
    This is quite interesting and I don't really remember it but I'm happy to see my Atlantis scenario on this list. I do remember most of the campaigns on the list that I played - McCringoj's historical scenarios, War of Troy, Ocean blue, etc. Good times.

The controversial campaign "The Nexus" surprisingly makes it to this list as well ( I never played it, so no comments ), alongside Christmas Morning, which I recall as being one of the most charming scenarios in AOK and holds up surprisingly well even today.

`
    ि
    StormWind Studios

[This message has been edited by Jatayu (edited 04-12-2018 @ 01:31 PM).]

Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 04-12-18 01:36 PM CT (US)     831 / 890       
    I dont think the proposed list will do any good because its just another link in a sea of links, but my brief thoughts on the last top 50. These surveys only hold a great deal of weight when a very large chunk of the community participates.

1. Ulio by Ingo van Thiel
    its great

2. The King's Best Men by Ingo van Thiel
    possibly my personal favorite

3. The Revenge of the Templar by Xavill
    played this many times, possible the first very convincing city

4. Vlad Dracula by Great Emperor
    I dont remember it well, but I dont think I loved it

5. Halfdan and the Inheritance of the Ynglings by Gunter (translated by Stephen Richards)
    very good scenario, dont remember the ending clearly

6. When The Wheel Breaks by Ingo van Thiel
    its great

7. Sabato Returns by Berserker Jerker
    Much better than the first, thats for sure. Its pretty decent

8. Tannenberg 1410 AD by Marko Crnigoj
    an all time great

9. Macbeth by Dave_Earl
    not a fan, dont get the love for this one

10. Legends of Chila by Oliver
    played it in '17 for the first time, its actually good

11. Sabato's Holy Grail by Berserker Jerker
    played it a few times and liked it

12. Towton 1461 AD by Marko Crnigoj
    classic of course

13. Crusade - The Beginning by Sceletar
    good example of how not to do it

14. Atlantis - The Lost Realm by Jatayu
    it seemed ok, I didnt finish it

15. Piece by Piece 1 by SD Community
    16. Piece by Piece 2 by SD Community
    never tried it

17. Hattin 1187 AD by Marko Crnigoj
    all time classic

18. Heroes of Meadowkeep by Cespenar
    pretty decent, dont remember it too clearly though

19. ACSC - Immortal Prey Prologue by Crasher
    never tried it

20. Chrombasia - The Two Relics by aMa
    one of the best ever but didnt finish it yet

21. Ocean Blue by Hawk_Daght
    tried it recently, couldnt get into it. no opinion really

22. Piece by Piece 3 by SD Community
    never tried it

23. The Quest by Ingo van Thiel
    very good, one of the highest in terms of simple enjoyability

24. Tamerlane - Prince of Destruction by Mark Stoker
    I liked it near its release, its boring now

25. Hundred Years War by Marko Crnigoj
    Been replaying this lately, its good

26. Nyctophobia by Mark Stoker
    all time great

27. Wrath of the Dark Lord by Dark_Warrior_1_
    I think I played it but I cannot remember anything about it without loading it up

28. Truly Countless Bodies by Bleedteal
    all time classic, really nice scenario

29. The War of Troy by Sceletar
    dont like it one bit

30. Siege of Prethonia by Mashek
    who what? is this the laggy precurser to blood of the bear?

31. Cupid's Poisoned Arrows by Boosh
    never heard of it

32. The Prophecy by Silver Serpent
    rings a bell but I think I only played it once

33. The Fury of Rastulf by Courtjester1
    datafile required. nope, no thanks

34. I Hate Snow by Sissi
    never heard of it

35. The Quiet Dawn by matty12345
    never heard of it

36. Final Hour by Yogurt
    an all time classic

37. The Last Samurai by CerberusXXL
    this franchise was dope as hell back in the day

38. Wolfcastle 2 by Andres_age
    hmm doesnt ring a bell

39. Gyda's Challenge by Ingo van Thiel
    all time classic, wow is this rated low

40. Sabato the Witch by Berserker Jerker
    has no business on a top 50, I give it a 3.0-3.5

41. Against Thee, Wickedly by Luke Gevaerts
    very good, but isnt it unfinished? I cant remember this so clearly

42. Bouren by AoC_Dave
    kill me now before I have to read any more of its dialogue

43. ACSC Day of the Red Moon by VonCorgath
    never heard of it

44. RISK - Hundred Years War by King Bob VI
    I played this a million times, didnt like it in a '18 run :-(

45. Christmas Morning by Yogurt
    dont like cinematics, never watched it

46. The Nexus by The Downward Spiral
    shift+delete

47. The Swallowed Realm by Shadows
    I had fond memories of this franchise and they were all destroyed in a recent playthrough

48. Prince of Persia I by ENOTH
    all time classic, still kinda good. the last scenario kinda wasnt

49. Land of Chaos by Andres_age
    doesnt ring a bell

50. A Different World by Crasher
    its great

I am surprised at some of the classics not mentioned on this list. But maybe they are not good as my kneejerk reaction would say.

Besides that I am not particularly interested in actually rating every scenario in a list with objective ratings. For example I highly recommend Siege of Medieburg for a play, but it does not warrant more than a 3.8 in my book.

The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    posted 04-12-18 02:41 PM CT (US)     832 / 890       
    I feel the need to put this in my sig...

Also, dude! Land of Chaos? Never played that? I downloaded it after reading about it (I think BS spotlight?). I loved it. It has great replayabillity as well. Afaik one of the first "taunt to select your storyline" scenario.

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 04-12-2018 @ 02:41 PM).]

Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 04-12-18 03:03 PM CT (US)     833 / 890       
    Well, I have this "to be played" folder that has about a million files in it...and somehow it only grows as time goes on. Its hard to get to them all ;-)

The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    posted 04-12-18 03:34 PM CT (US)     834 / 890       
    Just saying you should priorotize this one.

Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 04-12-18 06:10 PM CT (US)     835 / 890       
    The weirdest thing about that top 50 is there are no Lord Basse scenarios.

Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 04-12-18 06:45 PM CT (US)     836 / 890       
    The AgeArena has many fantastic gems that are unknown to AoKH as well, such as Andi W's "Yesterday the sun shone" which would easily rank up in the top half of a 2009 top 50 list. I have that file translated on my PC but am still awaiting word from the man himself to publish it.

Jatayu
    Squire
    posted 04-15-18 11:51 AM CT (US)     837 / 890       
    I had a quick glance at it, all the way to where the main B&D starts. So far I'm amazed what you managed to produce in your first HD try as well as in a such a short amount of time. I'll try and get you a review over the weekend, but dont quote me on that please
    I know you said don't quote, but yeah, I hope you finished the scenario..

`
    ि
    StormWind Studios
    The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    posted 04-15-18 11:52 AM CT (US)     838 / 890       

Sorry

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 04-15-2018 @ 11:53 AM).]

The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    posted 04-15-18 12:38 PM CT (US)     839 / 890       
    Okay I got to the attack part... and then lag. It's sooo much laaag. Sorry mate I can't finish it. Map design was pretty decent but you had lots of blank areas with grass/dirt3. In terms of gameplay, very nice with mixed styles

Mash
    Huskarl
    (id: Mashek)
    posted 04-16-18 08:39 AM CT (US)     840 / 890       
    I was going to say earlier but decided I didn't really have the energy for a discussion: in my mind Ulio would still receive a 5 for map design because although it may not be a 100/100 design anymore it sits comfortably around the mark of 80/100, which still denotes a 5 if you see it that way. I also tend to see maps on their own accord and with little regard to how they compare to the top designs, although you still need to have a good gauge on what actually constitutes good map design when reviewing this way. Ulio is a 5 but it doesn't have to be a 5 comparable to more recent works, which I'm sure outclass its map design quite handily. It simply reflects the effort and skill the designer has put into it to making it an enjoyable design that works very well in context to the rest of the game. In other words, the map design isn't the best and it doesn't have to be to score a top mark here, but it's still very, very good with everything considered.
    Just to be clear, its perfectly valid and an OK review I would approve of if its your personal taste in the end there... About my review on Wind of the North;its certainly overly-exuberant, and its quite possible both playability and balance could be rated lower by someone else.
    I didn't think you needed to explain yourself there. It was a very good review and an enjoyable read - no complaints! I definitely appreciate the 5.0 rating, although I was initially very surprised by it. This was in fact due to my own gut feel that playability and balance (both being heavily subjective) would receive a 4. I was also shocked with Possidon's 4 for map design, guessing he would rate the aforementioned categories down, but I certainly didn't disagree with his thoughts.
    I thought it was really excellent, definitely a 5 for map design in my opinion.
    I appreciate that!
    30. Siege of Prethonia by Mashek
    who what? is this the laggy precurser to blood of the bear?
    It's a shame because the remake was released three months after this list!
    33. The Fury of Rastulf by Courtjester1
    You're missing out. I'm judging it by my last playthrough in 2008, but I remember it being great fun and well-executed. It's a scenario I'd love to replay for sure, although I fear it will have aged somewhat particularly as I had some concerns with the map design and a number of bugs. For me, it's the playability and story that made this scenario.

I've just updated the campaign page to fix all the black boxes that have appeared. I'm surprised there are only two reviews for this scenario, given all the attention and hype it received back in its day!
    39. Gyda's Challenge by Ingo van Thiel
    all time classic, wow is this rated low
    It's one of the often overlooked files in his portfolio, but it was always one of my favourites.
    43. ACSC Day of the Red Moon by VonCorgath
    never heard of it
    I know you don't care too much for cut-scenes, but this one was particularly entertaining and in hindsight probably should have won the 2006 Cut-scene Contest. Immortal Prey by crasher took the mantle.

We should probably revisit this top 50. I would be interested to see what's changed, if anything at all.

[This message has been edited by Mash (edited 04-16-2018 @ 09:16 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 22 23 24 25 26  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames