You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.890 replies, Sticky
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Exchequer: Review Requests, Guidelines, and Tutorials
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Exchequer: Review Requests, Guidelines, and Tutorials
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 23 24 25 26  Next Page »
Possidon
Slayer
posted 08-03-15 03:51 PM CT (US)         

Welcome to The Exchequer!

This is a place for forummers to exchange comments, reviews and critique for files which they have downloaded and played. Here you can request reviews for your files, talk about file's you've recently downloaded and learn about how to write reviews and the rewards that come with it. Anybody can write a review for a requested file, you don't have to have any special requirements. It's not just for official reviewers.

WHY SHOULD I WRITE REVIEWS?

There are great things about writing reviews. Reviews are very useful for the file uploaders because it shows them what other people think about their files. It allows them to see what is good and bad about their files, and the reviews also offer constructive criticism that will include suggestions on how to improve the file in a future update. Reviews are also helpful for downloaders because it gives the downloader an idea of what to expect when they download the file.

Rewards
When a reviewer reaches a certain milestone they may earn rewards for their achievements:

• 10 reviews: the ability to choose a custom title for your forum profile.
  • 25 reviews: become eligible to receive Official Reviewer status, and the denotation as such in one's Blacksmith profile.
  • Every subsequent 10 reviews (e.g. upon reaching 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 etc), the ability to choose a new custom title for forum profile.

• BECOMING AN OFFICIAL REVIEWER

Once a forummer has written 25 approved reviews they are eligible to become an Official Reviewer, although this is not guaranteed and may require further improvement on the reviewer's behalf. Official reviewers should be the most dedicated reviewers, writing detailed and constructive reviews that help improve the files they review. All reviews that are rated 4.0 or above by official reviewers will appear in The Blacksmith's Best Files list. Requests to become an official reviewer should be sent via email to HockeySam.

ACTIVE THREAD REVIEWERS
    (In order of number of reviews)

Possidon (41), Cataphract887 (198), Lord Basse (128), Mashek (125), Jatayu (84), HockeySam18 (82), Popeychops (66), Julius999 (31), Great_Artiste (28), kud13 (15)

OFFICIAL REVIEWERS
    (In order of number of reviews)

Possidon (241), Tanneur99 (229), Cataphract887 (198), Lord Basse (128), Mashek (125), BrandNewCar (91), Jatayu (84), HockeySam18 (82), Panel (76), Popeychops (66), CerberusXXL (36), Angel Jerusalem (34), Devestator (33), Stephen Richards (31), Julius999 (31), RoboPaul88 (26), DTrungle (25), RF_Gandalf (24), Angel Rasher (23), Angel Park (22), The Downward Spiral (22), Mr Wednesday (20), AnastasiaKafka (20), Cherub Lobby (20), Berserker Jerker (18), Mayank Sharma (12), Dark_Warrior_1_ (11), Ingo van Thiel (8), Matei (7), Cat (6), Gordon Farrell (5), Angel SpineMan (4), Cherub thurdl01 (2)

REVIEW REQUESTS LIST

The list below consists of a number of requests and/or downloads recently reviewed. Requests are marked R and updates U. Anybody is free to review whichever file they want, but should be aware that the designers at the top of each list are waiting the longest for a review. Files that have received a review in the time of request in this thread will be removed from the list unless a second opinion is requested.

Cinematic Scenarios:

Showcase Scenarios:

Single Player:
    R Alba gu Brath, by Possidon: No Reviewer
    R Cavern Pirates - Captain's Revenge, by rewaider; No Reviewer
    R Project: Just Juice, by Lil_Lebowski; No Reviewer
    R DOOM, by HELLKNIGHT61; No Reviewer
    R Wrath of the Traibs, by Possidon; No Reviewer

Multiplayer:
    R Ardar Diplomacy, by croatianboss; No reviewer
    R The Lord of the Rings, by croatianboss; No reviewer

Mod Packs:
    R Wheel of Time: End of the Third Age - Beta, by Seonid; Reviewer: Mashek
    R Realism Mod v1.12 - 250 pop limit, unit/tech edits, by Keisari Tapsa; No Reviewer
    R Still in the Dark Age, by Mr Mew; No reviewer
    R Hero Expansion Redux, by Possidon; No Reviewer'
    R Tower of London, by Pepp; No Reviewer
    R Avignon Palace, by Pepp; No Reviewer
    R Duomo di Siena, by Pepp; No Reviewer
    R Borderland Empires, by Khan Ivayl; No Reviewer
    WAIFor's Amusement Mod 2.4, by WAIFor; Reviewer: Possidon 4.0
    Dover Castle, by DeathPreacher; Reviewer: Possidon 4.5
    Spartan Warrior, by Achesun; Reviewer: Possidon 5.0

Utilities:
    R Notepad++ AI Editor, by beladar; No Reviewer
    R Custom Icons Pack, by Possidon; No Reviewer

AI Files:

Random Maps:

Recorded Games:

FILE UPDATES AND OBSELETE REVIEWS

Please edit your review after an update. A designer can ask for the removal of all reviews after an update if he feels that they do not represent the actual version of his submission. Reviews that address issues that are fixed, altered or ameliorated do not serve the visitors of our site. A review has to be a valuable tool for the designer and the downloader.

RECENT UPDATES/ REVIEWS TO EDIT
    (In order of date of the update)

Please read the REVIEW GUIDELINES

Without trying to enforce the Review Guidelines as something as law, they are still a very important part of the review system here at Age of Kings Heaven, and are used to create consistency between reviewers at the Blacksmith in order to establish fairness and equality for reviews. With the Review Guidelines’ recent update all reviewers need to take into account the new addition of rules when reviewing. However, Angel SpineMan’s primary objective for reviewing in the Old Guidelines still applies today:

“This article will provide a description of how to write quality reviews for Age of Kings Heaven that are scored consistently between reviewers and are helpful to both the file's creator as well as the potential downloader.”

In some cases, a small percentage of reviewers tend to review files according to their own rules, leading to inconsistency between reviews at the Blacksmith, which is neither helpful nor fair to anyone. To have reviews at the Blacksmith that are fair and helpful, reviewers have to follow some rules to score consistently.

If you have any questions about reviewing, please do not hesitate to post in this thread!

Single Player Campaigns and Scenarios

There are many invaluable lessons to learn when becoming a good reviewer, and a few other things besides that will result in a good and fair review. Some things are self-evident when reviewing a file; in general, do not review game styles you do not enjoy and review files according to the date of its release. There are many files back in 2000-2002 that received a score of a high 4, which would not fit the standards of today. You have to take into account the standards of the day, and rate accordingly. In addition, if the scenario is designed for original Age of Kings, review it playing AoK.

Below you will find a general breakdown of each category from a review for your convenience.

PLAYABILITY is about the fun you had while playing a scenario, and here you need to mention what affected your enjoyment in a positive and/or negative way.

BALANCE is about how easy or difficult a scenario was for you. You should mention which difficulty you played on when reviewing, although this is not mandatory. A good approach to reviewing a file would be to start with moderate and later change to standard, to see if the scenario was too easy or too hard or well-balanced overall; before ending off with hard difficulty. However, reviewers will need to take into account that not all files are difficulty-level-dynamic. In general, remember that you are rating the file according to your own skill level and not that of others.

CREATIVITY covers every aspect of a scenario. Remember that a file does not need anything new to achieve a high score.

MAP DESIGN scores compared to a random map which rates 2.0. Anything worse or better than a random map may be rated up or down accordingly. Some tips for rating this category is that you rate what you see during game play, which means no Marco and Polo. The map size and how much of the map was used should not affect the rating.

STORY/INSTRUCTIONS is a little more interesting than some. Probably the most common detail reviewers tend to overlook is that this category covers two aspects of any scenario, story and instructions. Not just one or the other. If the file is lacking in one then you can make note of that in the review and mark down accordingly. However, this does not pertain to multiplayer scenarios, whereby a story is not mandatory. In general, the presence of a functional story (while not necessarily being a good story) with instructions should be midpoint, a 3. From there you should be able to give an accurate overall rating for this category.

Non-Playable Scenarios

For files such as those where playability is void and map design is the only feature of the file (e.g. entries to the Totally-Terrain Contest), the category should therefore be used to take a look at the technical and creative qualities of the map design, while referring to how that design pushes the boundaries of realism in an AOK environment. One particular thing to note here is that just because the file is all about pretty map design, that doesn’t mean it cannot feature any creative features that might breathe life into the design, such as towns brought to life by wandering villagers, people going about their everyday lives, and other unique devices besides. Basically, anything that goes into making the map more alive and as such realistic should be taken into consideration. As the file will likely feature little anything else other than map design, a single overall rating between 1 and 5 will be fine.

Scenarios without Fighting

An exception to the balance category is when the author of a particular file did not intend any fighting, or very little of, to feature in the scenario. From the review guidelines:

One important note about scoring the balance category for scenarios is that where no fighting takes place, such as some puzzle scenarios and some RPG-style scenarios, is that just because the player cannot die in such scenarios, that doesn't mean the scenario isn't balanced. Difficulty can also be present via puzzles or other devices, and the balance of these should be taken into account.

For files such as the Pretty Town Contest entries whereby there is a great degree of walking and nothing else much, reviewers should therefore take into account the author’s intention. If it was intended that you walk around and gaze at the beauty and wonder of a landscape, then you need to rate on that account.

Rating Cut-scene Style Scenarios

Cut-scenes rate like any other scenario, the defining factor being that most cut-scenes do not allow any interaction for the player, requiring only that the player sits down and watches. One thing to note is the change of the category BALANCE to PACING, which primarily denotes the flow of the cut-scene. Well timed sequences with good flow should score strongly here, while cut-scenes with little structure or planning, sound effects appearing out of sync and the like, should score poorly.

Modification Pack Script

A Modification Pack Script (MPS) is mainly an item for the player, which has a limited use for designers; the content will not always suit a designer’s endeavours in scenario design and is very limited to its audience. Keep this in mind when you rate mod pack scripts for USEFULNESS/NOVELTY and QUALITY/INSTRUCTIONS. The main categories are USEFULNESS and QUALITY for the overall rating of a MPS. Use NOVELTY and INSTRUCTIONS to correct the category rating. Still, for a perfect rating the MPS has to excel in all four categories.

Utilities

There is no official guideline for reviewing utilities, but for some ideas you can go here. A utility is a tool for the designer and has hardly any use for the player; keep this in mind when you rate utilities for USEFULNESS/NOVELTY and QUALITY/INSTRUCTIONS. Often you cannot rate the novelty factor because the file is another eye candy map of Lord of the Rings, a Volcano, Waterfall, Trigger Guide, Tutorial or collection of battle sounds. In other words, nothing new. Originally the fifth category was Creativity but this was too close to Novelty, better to have the two rated together if possible. When you feel Novelty does not apply, you can replace it with Creativity. The four categories are of equal importance for the overall rating of a utility.

Random Map Script

Review Thread History

Luke Gevaerts started the Review Request Thread 03/30/2002. Tanneur took over 11/30/2002 until 7/11/2009. Mashek then hosted the thread until 05/19/2012, when it was taken over by Panel until about 01/10/14. After Panel stepped down as staff, it was left alone for about 6 months without being updated until Possidon took over the thread where it was completely revamped and turned into The Exchequer.

[This message has been edited by Mash (edited 08-03-2019 @ 08:03 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
    HockeySam18
    Dúnadan
    posted 04-16-18 12:22 PM CT (US)     841 / 890       
    I'm judging it by my last playthrough in 2008, but I remember it being great fun and well-executed. It's a scenario I'd love to replay for sure, although I fear it will have aged somewhat particularly as I had some concerns with the map design and a number of bugs. For me, it's the playability and story that made this scenario.
    It's a superb showcase of modding used well, I thought. I, too, loved the way the story was told, and the way the designer offered the player a slew of vastly varied gameplay experiences was rather cool.

That part where you have to defend the cave is borderline sadism on the part of the designer, though

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1
    Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 04-16-18 12:41 PM CT (US)     842 / 890       
    No worries chaps, I will definitely play Fury of Rustolf eventually here ;-) That statement was more reflective of how I would in the past dismiss out of hand any scenario that used datamodding, and still am not interested unless there is good reason to believe the hassle will have payoff.

I have only played a single file from the entire cinematics category, Legends of Chila, which was more amazing than I ever would have expected. Although the first cutscene I can ever remember actually truly enjoying was the one in Relics of Athalon. I notice a good deal of didnt play\never heard of it comments on the list by me seem to be cinematic files.

I have to concede the argument related to Ulio, as I cannot think of any counter argument to the concept of its excellent usage of the map in regards to gameplay. I had somewhat forgotten\overlooked this despite using it in a few reviews myself, and only considered pure beauty with the 4\5 map score advocacy. Even though I do consider this utilization fairly normal and something every designer should execute on a basic level, I have to admit that is not the case whatsoever. Too many maps have insane walking times or "the eyecandies" damage the playability in some way.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 04-16-2018 @ 12:48 PM).]

HockeySam18
    Dúnadan
    posted 04-18-18 01:47 PM CT (US)     843 / 890       
    Beyond that, it's quite impressive how Ingo managed to make his maps function well on the macro and micro levels. Every area has a place, and some even play multiple roles.

Take Gyda's Challenge, for example. The central portion is a fairly intricate combination of paths, shallow crossings, and other physical features that create an immersive B&D experience. The player actually feels like they're fighting in the Norwegian landscape in winter, and there are various ways to reach each opponent (and for them to reach you), which makes for well-paced B&D gameplay with a lot of replayability.

Then, consider how that landscape works into the FF portions, with the player micromanaging their messengers and using the terrain features to their advantage as they travel from Vestfold to Gyda's manor and back. Fast forward to the sequence where Master Jan appears in the west and has to race to Vestfold before he is hacked to bits by Eirik's scouts. Which route do you take home? Where in the landscape are enemy units lurking? If you've played the scenario before, you can just send an army to the place where he shows up when the time comes, but assuming you don't know that, you're in for a fast-paced experience.

A somewhat refined version of that concept appears in scenario 2 of Ulio, where you choose from multiple paths to travel along to the battlefield and then do so again when you are escaping from Aguric's castle. I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to view that sort of thing as a sort of untouchable sacred standard, but in the sphere of map gameplay utility in scenario design, Ingo's creations remain clearly elite.

Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 04-18-18 05:13 PM CT (US)     844 / 890       
    That statement was more reflective of how I would in the past dismiss out of hand any scenario that used datamodding, and still am not interested unless there is good reason to believe the hassle will have payoff.
    I have always thought this was an issue. Data modding is just annoying enough to be off-putting. On the other hand, in almost every case a designer who knows about and decides to use data-modding is probably good enough that what they make is worth a try (bearing in mind that in reality it is only a few seconds of inconvenience).
    I have only played a single file from the entire cinematics category, Legends of Chila, which was more amazing than I ever would have expected.
    Legends of Chile is one of very few AoK cinematics which don't form part of a larger work and are yet worth bothering with. However, VonCorgath's Day of the Red Moon is the very next one I'd recommend. Then there are Crasher's Immortal Prey and NewIdea's Eurona's Curse which are worth the time. If you can accept the extra annoyance of data modding, Matty's The Old Man And the Sea is technically interesting even though it's a bit boring. I don't think I'd recommend any others.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
    Member of Stormwind Studios
    Mash
    Huskarl
    (id: Mashek)
    posted 04-19-18 03:37 AM CT (US)     845 / 890       
    Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 04-23-18 06:26 PM CT (US)     846 / 890       
    "Wreck of the Santa Maria" by Al Kharn was reviewed and received a 3.8 a good if simple scenario in the vibrant jungle setting. Interesting concept to defend a shipwreck turned fort. Some balance issues as I found it possible to AFK for over 30 minutes with no special tricks on Hard, also very long game length. Not bad at all for being made on a weekend whim.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    (id: matty12345)
    posted 04-24-18 10:45 AM CT (US)     847 / 890       
    It's a superb showcase of modding used well, I thought. I, too, loved the way the story was told, and the way the designer offered the player a slew of vastly varied gameplay experiences was rather cool.

That part where you have to defend the cave is borderline sadism on the part of the designer, though
    I'd be curious to how well it holds up today. I did more work on that scenario than many of mine own, and while I really can't claim any credit for it, I felt it was a few crippling flaws short of a masterpiece. The story was about as good as AoK RPG stuff gets (which isn't high praise but still), the gameplay may have bordered on gimmicky at times but was definitely varied and unique, and the dat file stuff was pretty good. Most of the campaign was considerably harder than it had any right to be, and I'd be surprised if most people made it past the cave sequence you mentioned, which was I think one of the more memorable scenario moments ruined by absurdly hard balancing. There is also a troll who flings fireballs who is incredibly good at one shotting your hero on a bridge, some ship crashing mechanics, and other unreasonably hard parts.

Of all the campaigns out there though, it would be top 25 in ambition if not quality.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    Andanu Trisatya
    Squire
    posted 04-26-18 06:19 PM CT (US)     848 / 890       
    I don't think I'd recommend any others.

████████
    ████████
    /\NDANU TRISATY/\
    The Least Skilled Member of StormWind Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
    kud13
    Squire
    posted 04-28-18 11:51 AM CT (US)     849 / 890       
    I reviewed the "Ivan the Great" campaign, which is available both here and on the Blacksmith. While 4.2 may be a bit generous, as a mostly B&D player, I appreciated extra effort put into instructions and mixing up objectives for what's otherwise a fairly typical but enjoyable campaign.

In the next few months I should have a bit more free time, so I'm hoping to get a bunch more reviews done. One of the first things on my shortlist is Battle of Saraighat and both of Shuvro's scenarios

[This message has been edited by kud13 (edited 04-28-2018 @ 11:54 AM).]

Mash
    Huskarl
    posted 04-30-18 04:30 PM CT (US)     850 / 890       
    Good work, keep them coming!
    While 4.2 may be a bit generous
    The 5 for playability is perhaps higher than what others would give the campaign (I imagine it would average a 4), but playability and balance are so subjective as they reflect the personal experience of the reviewer.
    Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 05-10-18 08:46 AM CT (US)     851 / 890       
    Requesting a review for "Yesterday the Sun Shone" Being its translator, I am probably too close to ethically put one on. And no, I dont know much german, I used google translate to bulk translate the meaning, then rewrote everything to look smooth.

Bassi
    Squire
    posted 05-10-18 01:02 PM CT (US)     852 / 890       
    Ah! It's finally online! One of the best agearena scenarios from one of the best designers out there. Everyone should play it!

My AoC Workshop
    Make Build & Destroy great again!
    kud13
    Squire
    posted 05-12-18 12:19 PM CT (US)     853 / 890       
    "Siege of Lahore" was reviewed and received a 3.8
    Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 05-12-18 02:27 PM CT (US)     854 / 890       
    Good work kud, I tend to agree with that one. Maybe reversing the playability and balance with similar reasoning. Myself I just spammed infinite hussar and group attacked from multiple directions to slowly wear down the enemies buildings and this cripple their troop generation. Using monks to get a million elephant archers definitely makes sense, though.

kud13
    Squire
    posted 05-13-18 01:37 AM CT (US)     855 / 890       
    yeah, I tend to actually like amassing armies of converted units (usually elephants) so it never affects how I feel about subjective playability- I enjoy doing that. But balance-wise, it just feels like an obvious exploit.

[This message has been edited by kud13 (edited 05-13-2018 @ 01:37 AM).]

Mash
    Huskarl
    posted 06-19-18 09:24 AM CT (US)     856 / 890       
    I have finally finished writing my review for Tannenberg 1410 giving it a well-deserved 5.0. I really struggled to settle on a rating for map design after I had awarded a 3 for 'Hastings', but in the end I thought it still holds up very well aesthetically while being excellent in the context of the game play. Now to move on to some more recent files.
    The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    (id: Great_Artiste)
    posted 06-19-18 09:39 AM CT (US)     857 / 890       
    Dear lord that's one massive wall of text you have

Well written though

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 06-19-2018 @ 09:52 AM).]

Mash
    Huskarl
    posted 06-19-18 04:57 PM CT (US)     858 / 890       
    I think it's a little under 1,500 words, which is very easy to hit when you have a lot to say. Nevertheless some scenarios deserve larger reviews.
    HockeySam18
    Dúnadan
    posted 06-20-18 11:32 AM CT (US)     859 / 890       
    Very, very, very well-written. A pleasure to read

Cataphract887
    Squire
    posted 06-20-18 03:47 PM CT (US)     860 / 890       
    The MCrnigoj held up fairly well in gameplay over the years thanks to their good difficulty even if it can be a tiny bit exasperating to learn how to play, but the satisfaction of winning the battle makes it all worth it. A good story element helps insulate against aging too. The map design for me is well, meh, but OK, whatever it isn't so necessary for these battle scenarios.

Very meaty review too, I think you broke down how the scenario works so well quite accurately.

The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    posted 07-23-18 05:59 PM CT (US)     861 / 890       
    Does anyone know if there's a scenario exploring guerilla warfare in AoK? I know part 4 or 5 of aMa's uh Crusader (?) has what I found to be one of best gameplay experiences in AoK, touching the fight from behind the enemy lines.

Any ideas? I am looking for potential inspiration or concepts I could use and perfect ^^

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

[This message has been edited by Great_Artiste (edited 07-23-2018 @ 06:00 PM).]

Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 07-23-18 06:29 PM CT (US)     862 / 890       
    There's a good sequence at the start of Great Emperor's The Way of the Warrior. The whole scenario is excellent, but the first objective might be the kind of thing you're looking for.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
    Member of Stormwind Studios
    The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    posted 07-24-18 01:10 AM CT (US)     863 / 890       
    I'll look into it. Thanks Julius (long time no see)

Possidon
    Slayer
    posted 08-12-18 04:22 PM CT (US)     864 / 890       
    Kataphraktoi
    Squire
    posted 08-12-18 07:18 PM CT (US)     865 / 890       
    Good to see YSS reviewed! Glad you enjoyed the translation work too
    I suppose a highlight of the scenario's creative side is the voice acting which has been recorded specifically for this scenario. Unfortunately, as this scenario was designed in German, so to is the voice recordings. This proves to be extremely annoying for this English language translation, as they are still included in the download file and therefore as I put all the sound files into the sound folder, they continue to play through the scenario. I found this distracting and quite annoying.
    You will have to blame me for this, as I decided to include the german audio for immersion purposes. Personally I quite like it, but I suppose that's an acquired taste;I consume more media delivered in non-english languages than my own so I am quite used to this experience.

HockeySam18
    Dúnadan
    posted 08-12-18 09:17 PM CT (US)     866 / 890       
    I also liked it very much. I don't know German well enough to understand spoken dialogue at that pace, but I could nevertheless tell that the voice acting was quite well done. Most of the German scenarios that have been translated and released over here are like that, and quality voice acting, even if not intelligible, is an atmospheric plus in my eyes.

Bassi
    Squire
    posted 08-13-18 03:39 AM CT (US)     867 / 890       
    Yeah, we used to help each other with that on agearena. So, a lot of German scenarios have 5-10 different people doing the various roles.

My AoC Workshop
    Make Build & Destroy great again!
    The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    posted 08-13-18 08:34 AM CT (US)     868 / 890       
    To me, the German voice and English "subtitles" were one of the best features of the translated AgeArena works

Possidon
    Slayer
    posted 08-19-18 07:07 PM CT (US)     869 / 890       
    Kataphraktoi
    Squire
    posted 08-23-18 12:46 PM CT (US)     870 / 890       
    Alba Gu Brath
    Decent scenario, my thoughts fall along the lines of the review for the first despite the bug fixing. Above all else it was remarkably easy. I had used my elite cavalry to eliminate their onagers and trebs and the rest of their units melted ineffectually. Then having all blacksmith upgrades I pushed across the river with my starting units and encountered a decent stack of units, and left my men to fight while I was queuing up pikemen\skirms at home expecting to need to reinforce. Suddenly I got a message saying the battle was won, as it seems my men won without me doing much, or spending my 8k gold plus other resources. I had built two TCs and a good economy but this buildup went unused.

The opening buildup does serve a purpose in getting the player acquainted with the area but is very lengthy at 45ish minutes. Also the final cutscene gets the player thinking an epic battle would commence to cap things off which would have been a great cherry on top. The map design looks nice though the trees can get in the way a bit.

HockeySam18
    Dúnadan
    posted 09-02-18 05:05 AM CT (US)     871 / 890       
    I've posted reviews to five of the six DtS'18 entries. The exception is regarding Hellknight61's entry, as I am honoring the author's previous request that I not review a work of his that I was unable to fully complete.

The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    posted 09-04-18 01:36 PM CT (US)     872 / 890       
    I need some help with putting a screenshot in the Blacksmith file description :/

Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 09-04-18 01:52 PM CT (US)     873 / 890       
    From memory, it's right around the place where you select the file on your computer to upload. What issues are you having?

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
    ´ `  |_\
           |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
    ______|______
     \        /
       .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    posted 09-04-18 02:55 PM CT (US)     874 / 890       
    I phrased it poorly. I want to include a picture or two in the text about my scenario (not the screenshot section). I tried [Image URL not allowed: with%20the%20direct%20url%20and%20it%20shows%20nothing.]

Possidon
    Slayer
    posted 09-05-18 09:17 AM CT (US)     875 / 890       
    « Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 23 24 25 26  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames