You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.846 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Playthrough Thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Playthrough Thread
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 21 22 23 24 25  Next Page »
Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-10-17 01:07 PM CT (US)         
I've been getting back into playing through scenarios, and I thought it'd be a cool idea to have a place where we share the scenarios that we play in our spare time. It should be a good way to show different designers some hidden gems out there that could inspire some new ideas. Feel free to just mention which games your playing, give a summary or recommendation, crosspost your reviews from the Blacksmith, or even any scenarios you want people to playtest for you. It should be fun.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
AuthorReplies:
Bassi
Squire
posted 06-26-18 10:39 AM CT (US)     771 / 846       
Crashes for me before the bitmap is even shown

My AoC Workshop
Make Build & Destroy great again!
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 06-26-18 01:12 PM CT (US)     772 / 846       
Hmm, didnt have any issues with the other guys. So your WK is up to date, right? Dont have much of an idea at the moment what could be the issue

I just made a test campaign consisting of a random map auto generated and nothing else. I wonder if you can load this succesfully? test file

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 06-26-2018 @ 01:18 PM).]

Bassi
Squire
posted 06-26-18 04:12 PM CT (US)     773 / 846       
Thanks for the test file. That one works … :/

My AoC Workshop
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 06-26-18 04:24 PM CT (US)     774 / 846       
Considering multiple playtesters managed to play it makes it difficult to imagine what the issue could be, though. I am not sure what is actually loaded by the game when you click onto a campaign;incompatible triggers or some id conflict of some sort is the only thing I could speculate on. Even then, the UP scripting triggers are quite inoffensive, for example my Nicaea scenario can be loaded directly in HS with no crashes;the triggers are inert instead of crashing. Another avenue could be mapping issues;there are no mountains stacked on the edge of the map but there is some usage of the invisible tiles trick with hundreds of flags on one tile. Besides some ctrl+b usage the map isn't so exotic with crazy PTC tricks, though. I wonder if I should attempt more testing, such as one file with all triggers gone and another with the map copied to plain grass? Or maybe await some other players and see how widespread it is.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Bassi
Squire
posted 06-26-18 04:34 PM CT (US)     775 / 846       
I think I will have to re-install WK. Maybe it works then.
there is some usage of the invisible tiles trick with hundreds of flags on one tile.
I do not think that causes the crash, but in general I'd recommend to use an object called DEBRI (which has no graphics) to create invisible tiles.

My AoC Workshop
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-05-18 04:05 PM CT (US)     776 / 846       
Having played through all of the contest entries (and finally having installed WK in order to do so), I've had a few goes at River Raids. Very fun mission on a gorgeous map, although some terrain changes in the latest WK update meant that all snow grass was replaced by snow road and all dirt 2 with mangrove shallows (should be a simple fix with AoKTS, hopefully). I won on moderate by taking Smolensk, Polotsk, and the Khazar khan's treasure, and am about to try on hard. A few comments:

- The map is stunning, as aforementioned. Particular highlights for me were the player's camp in Staraya Ladoga, as well as the waterlines and the steppes and forests surrounding, although all of the map is excellent.

- I encountered a bug where saving and loading the game makes blacksmith techs vanish from the interface. Fortunately, I was able to win without needing to save and load.

- The use of UP-effect modding was excellent. From unit and building stat changes to training times and custom tech trees it thoroughly improved the experience. Particularly welcome were the edits to longships, which remained effective on the water but were much less oppressive towards land assets than the vanilla ones are. Another good change was the way techs worked. With the high HP on units and higher costs all around it demands a considerable strategic choice between recruiting more units and improving their armor/attack/other abilities.

- The heroes that spawn from the Khazar wonder are not renamed. Not sure if it's a bug or intended, but it did break immersion a bit to see a ton of Subotais and Attilas running around centuries before/after they lived. It was a nice surprise gameplay-wise, though, and very nearly sniped off my treasure carts.

- The Varangian huts seem to have spawned too many units, with the result that some were trapped underneath. I could be mistaking a free placement trick for this, though.

- Some buildings didn't have the proper ownership changes applied to them; when you conquer Polotsk you can see a house of theirs in Pskov and several farms around the southeast mill of Smolensk. A Khazar feudal age mill remains near Pskov.

- Is there a purpose to being able to train trade carts at your market? If not, might as well disable them to avoid player confusion.

- Sometimes I encounter a bug, after having watched the opening cutscene, where Knut Thorhallson fails to disembark. The ships are then removed, causing him and his company to die. If I skip the cutscene this does not happen, but the condottiero unit representing him in the Varangian camp is not renamed.

- Balance-wise I'm not sure that all unit options are created equal. Throwing axemen are far and away the best unit option available, and once massed and upgraded a bit are essentially unstoppable. I recruited some berserks as well to serve as frontline units and because the regeneration was attractive as a means of keeping your foot on an opponent's throat. I thought about some huskarls to fight the Khazars with, but with the boosted attack of enemy cav archers/mangudai, their high pierce armor was less of a big deal and my longships had already picked off most mounted archers anyway. I suppose I should reserve judgment until I play on hard, though. Having the varying options was nice - huskarls as raiders, berserks as hard-hitting tough guys, Nordic swordsmen as a cheap option, woad raiders as a fast one, and throwing axemen as a ranged core for your army.

Excited to play again on Hard!

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 08-06-2018 @ 08:31 AM).]

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-05-18 06:09 PM CT (US)     777 / 846       
Additionally, some of the tributes do not seem to come through. You don't receive food from Polotsk or lumber from Smolensk, even though the text indicates that you do.

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-06-18 09:04 AM CT (US)     778 / 846       
I played again on Hard. My approach was not incredibly different, although the stronger enemy units meant that I had to tread more lightly. You can really get yourself into a nasty pickle if you take Polotsk and Smolensk too early, as raiding their dropsites/docks/markets provides you with much-needed income to mass and upgrade troops. The meager (and bugged, see prior post) one-off tributes that you receive from conquering them do not suffice nearly as well, so it is essentially in your best interests to avoid taking at least one of these until you're at max pop and upgrades (as completing objectives is necessary to raise your pop cap). I had to micromanage raids on Kiev from three directions for a while to destroy enough lootable buildings to mass up a large enough army of fully upgraded throwing axemen to attempt another objective. No way I was touching Khazar territory when they had hordes of light cavalry, buffed cataphracts, cavalry archers with 13 (!) base attack and mangudai with 16 (!!!) base attack running around.

Once I hit max pop with fully upgraded throwing axemen, I went after the Varangians. For the most part they weren't too tough to deal with as long as you plant your throwing axemen in a dense area and wait for the enemy to die while focusing down the enemy heroes when they arrive. One drawback is that it is possible to kill all enemy heroes before you've pillaged their large yurts, although fortunately I destroyed Jarl Hogni's yurt to loot 10,000 gold before all enemy heroes were dead, as I attacked from west to east.

With my additional numbers due to increased prestige, I was able to take Kiev's well upgraded army head-on, opting once more to go full throwing axes. This playthrough cemented my conviction that they are easily the best unit choice - the ranged melee attack means that the only enemy units that can really damage them are archery units, and they take down buildings--even stone gates and fortifications--extremely fast (tangential multiplayer insight - they're one of the only castle age units capable of getting through stone walls in any sort of timely manner). Kiev fell easily to this army - the spreading of fires from building to building was a nice touch.

If I have the time to play the mission again anytime soon, I want to try going after the Khazars, as I didn't touch them at all this playthrough. I have the feeling that it's not feasible to do so until you have a large, fully upgraded army (i.e. after 3 objectives are completed), but it seems more challenging than taking on the three Slavic towns + the Varangians, or at the very least will demand an army composition that doesn't consist of a single unit type (throwing axes and huskarls would probably by my go-to, although given the extremely high attack value of the Khazar ranged units and castle age huskarls having only 6 base pierce armor heavy losses are still probably inevitable). I did like that on Hard the Khazar horse archers would fight back against your longships, making sniping them off from the river a less viable proposition due to their high damage output.

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 08-07-18 02:57 PM CT (US)     779 / 846       
Heya hockeysam, great to see a good report on my scenario! There was one very solid playtester at AoEZone who helped a great deal but not much from the others. It seems you enjoyed it despite the bugs since you played it several times. Im going to have to go over your post and make a todo list with an update it seems;banging my head against the wall here on some of those bugs, which I thought I had tested and squished into oblivion already...! Glad you liked the map design still, I thought it looked much better in earlier versions but I found some issues with mass deployment of shoreless water related to (smooth) unit movement near them so I had to cut back and delete a lot of finished areas with tears streaming down my face as I did so. After that I couldnt satisfy myself anymore with how it looked. Will make a more comprehensive reply later but after a quick skim I would say all the bug reports seem accurate and the balance correct;the unit choices are not so balanced, I have to admit.

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-07-18 06:12 PM CT (US)     780 / 846       
Glad you find the report helpful. It really was an enjoyable mission, and despite the bugs the experience was something new, novel, and thoroughly intriguing.
Glad you liked the map design still, I thought it looked much better in earlier versions but I found some issues with mass deployment of shoreless water related to (smooth) unit movement near them so I had to cut back and delete a lot of finished areas with tears streaming down my face as I did so.
The achilles heel of shoreless water is the difficulty that transport ships have in unloading on its shores. I usually try and stick some shoreless shallows nearby to mitigate the issue when dealing with an area that is designed to be disembarked on.
Will make a more comprehensive reply later but after a quick skim I would say all the bug reports seem accurate and the balance correct;the unit choices are not so balanced, I have to admit.
Balance is no easy task. After nearly two decades, this game still continues to receive balance patches

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 08-07-18 10:17 PM CT (US)     781 / 846       
some terrain changes in the latest WK update meant that all snow grass was replaced by snow road and all dirt 2 with mangrove shallows (should be a simple fix with AoKTS, hopefully).
Done! I pushed an update out which should fix this. Fixing bugs and balancing will take a few days at least. Using TS to swap the terrain was a breeze, but I didn't do much testing on the update so that infernal program had better not have done anything evil to my file that I didn't notice...
No way I was touching Khazar territory when they had hordes of light cavalry, buffed cataphracts, cavalry archers with 13 (!) base attack and mangudai with 16 (!!!) base attack running around.
The Khazar are absurd! This was by design but maybe I overdid it. My thinking was the scenario should depict how the nordic peoples had the river control, so the player should generally feel in control and safe there. However I wanted the player to not be walking around on land, so the idea was to make the nomads too tough to realistically defeat. This is why their objective involves raiding some treasure rather than killing them all off. The cav archers have insane attack so the huskarls cannot hard counter them, while still performing like huskarls against the townsfolk archers. Much of the scenario was inspired at the time by my recent reading of 'the emergence of rus' by jonathan shepard and it seemed the norse wouldn't dare attempt a land incursion into nomad territory without atleast 10,000 men(IIRC). In order to create a situation where the player is forced to stay to the river an overwhelmingly strong land enemy seemed called for. Hopefully them being an optional enemy you never need to face solves the problem of them being too strong, since you could always avoid them.
I encountered a bug where saving and loading the game makes blacksmith techs vanish from the interface. Fortunately, I was able to win without needing to save and load.
The one bug I probably cannot solve. Maybe another trigger array to detect when the player is selecting the blacksmith and refresh which technology he is able to research. Unfortunately custom tech trees via trigger seem to be unready for prime time with multiple huge bugs affecting it. I believe there is some code which checks what techs are valid and it keeps wiping out the trigger changes with updates of its own to the tree, if I recall scripter correctly.
The heroes that spawn from the Khazar wonder are not renamed.
Huh, I'm sure I had rename triggers working at some point but maybe I just forgot. Will be fixed.
The Varangian huts seem to have spawned too many units, with the result that some were trapped underneath. I could be mistaking a free placement trick for this, though.
Not intended, maybe I will make some patrol triggers so they dont stand around piling up.
Some buildings didn't have the proper ownership changes applied to them; when you conquer Polotsk you can see a house of theirs in Pskov and several farms around the southeast mill of Smolensk. A Khazar feudal age mill remains near Pskov.
Whoops, got lazy
Is there a purpose to being able to train trade carts at your market? If not, might as well disable them to avoid player confusion.
Somehow I overlooked that completely! Will disable
Sometimes I encounter a bug, after having watched the opening cutscene, where Knut Thorhallson fails to disembark. The ships are then removed, causing him and his company to die. If I skip the cutscene this does not happen, but the condottiero unit representing him in the Varangian camp is not renamed.
This threw me into some confusion, but I think I know whats up. I was in the last changes removing shoreless water and I bet I altered the spot he was intended to land at. By this time I was skipping the cutscene always so that explains why I missed it. Not sure why his rename trigger isn't working, one definitely exists for it.
Additionally, some of the tributes do not seem to come through. You don't receive food from Polotsk or lumber from Smolensk, even though the text indicates that you do.
Hmm, I thought I had that in the bag. Will have to look into it and also buff the tributes. I did realize later on I had made a situation where its possible to simply farm the villages, or rather its the best option. Thats why I implemented the fires burning buildings down;it used to be possible to kill off the village troop production buildings only, then sit around and farm their undefended economic structures freely. The fires ensure the objective is fulfilled if they cannot make military anymore.
I did like that on Hard the Khazar horse archers would fight back against your longships, making sniping them off from the river a less viable proposition due to their high damage output.
This is something I was trying to do, have the horse archers only fight back against boats and not aggressively hunt them down in the first place. I'm not sure how but somehow it sortof works. I don't understand the AI here however, its just luck mostly.
One drawback is that it is possible to kill all enemy heroes before you've pillaged their large yurts, although fortunately I destroyed Jarl Hogni's yurt to loot 10,000 gold before all enemy heroes were dead, as I attacked from west to east.
Yeah its annoying, you can get penalized for killing off the leaders first and miss out on the loot.
The use of UP-effect modding was excellent. From unit and building stat changes to training times and custom tech trees it thoroughly improved the experience. Particularly welcome were the edits to longships, which remained effective on the water but were much less oppressive towards land assets than the vanilla ones are. Another good change was the way techs worked. With the high HP on units and higher costs all around it demands a considerable strategic choice between recruiting more units and improving their armor/attack/other abilities......Having the varying options was nice - huskarls as raiders, berserks as hard-hitting tough guys, Nordic swordsmen as a cheap option, woad raiders as a fast one, and throwing axemen as a ranged core for your army....
I was quite fond of how I could make a varied army now of only infantry! Three units are normal infantry, one a stand in for archery and the fast unit a stand in for cavalry. Making longboats ineffective against land targets was inspired by Ragnars Raids;they were a bit OP when massed up there. I wanted the longboats to be a unit that control the sea, not the land, too.

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-08-18 09:35 AM CT (US)     782 / 846       
Re: the Khazars - making them that strong was definitely a a good choice. I saw in the AoEZone thread that one tester was complaining about how the two strongest enemies are the ones nearest you, and found it a bit shortsighted that he essentially ignored the hints/dialogues and didn't bother to explore the river to probe out the softer targets. Not a very Viking way to lead a raid

Turkic horsemen such as the Khazars and the Pechenegs were in many ways the boogeymen of the Rus and Varangians traversing the Volga, Don, and Dneiper routes. On one occasion, a Viking fleet returning from raiding Serkland (Abbasid lands, in this case on the shores of the Caspian Sea) was destroyed by the Khazars near Itil in disgust at the pillaging that they had done.

The way you set up the objective to capture the treasure, which essentially involves sacrificing droves of warriors in order to delay the Khazar counterattack while the carts slowly roll away, was quite fitting.
Not intended, maybe I will make some patrol triggers so they dont stand around piling up.
There is also AI code that you can add to make existing units scatter around somewhat (and control the distance, I believe). You might remember that behavior from the ES standard RM and campaign AIs. It could make the Varangians a bit weaker as their forces will be somewhat more far-flung, though.
This is something I was trying to do, have the horse archers only fight back against boats and not aggressively hunt them down in the first place. I'm not sure how but somehow it sortof works. I don't understand the AI here however, its just luck mostly.
From what I understand, if an AI land unit has greater range than a ship, or has equal range and equal or greater attack, it will fight back against a ship when attacked. You may recall that in the vanilla game, AI ranged units will shoot at fire ships that attack them or something near them, but run away from longer-ranged, more powerful ships like galleys and cannon galleons.
Yeah its annoying, you can get penalized for killing off the leaders first and miss out on the loot.
Maybe add a trigger system that detects which huts are still standing and distributes the tribute accordingly?
Making longboats ineffective against land targets was inspired by Ragnars Raids;they were a bit OP when massed up there. I wanted the longboats to be a unit that control the sea, not the land, too.
Good idea. One of the main flaws of Ragnar's Raids/Ironside was the power of longships - once they could be massed, there was no incentive to produce any other type of unit until your invincible fleet of longships had wiped out everything within range of the shoreline.

Your edits to the ships really accentuated the power of the multiple arrows - even with that low base attack of 3, their damage output remained fitting (and balanced, for the purposes of the scenario) owing to how many arrows they unleash. Multiple arrows have always been a cool game mechanic to me because they allow a unit, once massed, to break the typical cycle of counters. Longships can defeat fire ships with relative ease, while chu ko nu defeat typical archer counters such as paladins, huskarls, and eagles.

A slightly more minor issue, as it did not affect gameplay, was that I noticed several small mistakes within the scenario text and dialogues.

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 08-08-2018 @ 09:51 AM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 08-08-18 02:40 PM CT (US)     783 / 846       
Another good change was the way techs worked. With the high HP on units and higher costs all around it demands a considerable strategic choice between recruiting more units and improving their armor/attack/other abilities
This touches on somthing in vanilla AoC with the blacksmith techs being incredibly cheap. The fletching\padded archer armor upgrades are no brainers, as are defence and ranged upgrades as appropriate to unit choice later on. This is in contrast to wheelbarrow\handcart which are the games best technologies from a strategic perspective;mastering when to research these two with their higher costs takes a good deal of skill and experience to get down. I imagine the game would be significantly better if many more techs offered more strategically difficult choices than just those two. At the moment its mostly timing on when to spend the resources that is the primary consideration.

Something I forgot about was that the player could research Druzhina in earlier builds. This thematic tech fit in well, but juvenal reported a bug where researching it causes his units to damage themselves with area effect damage, something trirem and I couldn't replicate but I decided to remove it to be safe.
Re: the Khazars - making them that strong was definitely a a good choice. I saw in the AoEZone thread that one tester was complaining about how the two strongest enemies are the ones nearest you, and found it a bit shortsighted that he essentially ignored the hints/dialogues and didn't bother to explore the river to probe out the softer targets. Not a very Viking way to lead a raid
Haha, to be fair the warnings, scout reports and hints didn't exist in that build. Still, Its rather amazing you could play 5-6 times and not change up your tactics...
There is also AI code that you can add to make existing units scatter around somewhat (and control the distance, I believe). You might remember that behavior from the ES standard RM and campaign AIs. It could make the Varangians a bit weaker as their forces will be somewhat more far-flung, though.
Interesting, didnt know you could control the distances. The varangians used this AI logic earlier on but the way they put their units on the very edge of the landmass constantly didnt look very nice. Would be cool if I could get them to have 1 or 2 tile spacing only, maybe.
Maybe add a trigger system that detects which huts are still standing and distributes the tribute accordingly?
Indeed I probably should add it to the todo list
A slightly more minor issue, as it did not affect gameplay, was that I noticed several small mistakes within the scenario text and dialogues.
Since you didn't mention this previously, I was starting to get my hopes up that it was all good on this front! Only the objectives\hints\history has been put through spell checker to find the mistakes a computer can spot;I will have to give the other dialogues a manual look through sometime

By the way, I wonder if you noticed I implemented the faux economy we once discussed quite some time ago in this thread? The AI villages bustle around gathering resources and building structures, while hunters and fishing ships can be spotted working but they don't actually harvest anything and the resources deplete at the slowest rates possible. Instead all AI units have their cost set to 0 so they can train them freely as population and .per file allows. I thought it helps the immersion a little bit not to see every player with 30,000 score off the bat, and maybe casts an illusion that the villages are actually playing.

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 08-08-18 03:42 PM CT (US)     784 / 846       
This is in contrast to wheelbarrow\handcart which are the games best technologies from a strategic perspective;mastering when to research these two with their higher costs takes a good deal of skill and experience to get down. I imagine the game would be significantly better if many more techs offered more strategically difficult choices than just those two.
There was another cool feature of the scenario's (albeit limited) tech tree, by the way. As you know, experienced players using melee units usually prioritize armor upgrades before attack upgrades (living longer/actually reaching your target = landing more hits, which is worth more than an extra attack point or two). However, for ranged melee units such as mamelukes, throwing axemen, and gbetos, it is better (unless fighting majority ranged armies) to take the attack upgrades first as it increases their ranged damage output. The central role of throwing axemen in this mission made this an interesting choice - do you take the tech first that is better overall for the various units in your army, or do you focus on the strength of your core of ranged melee units? Great stuff.
Something I forgot about was that the player could research Druzhina in earlier builds. This thematic tech fit in well, but juvenal reported a bug where researching it causes his units to damage themselves with area effect damage, something trirem and I couldn't replicate but I decided to remove it to be safe.
Interesting. I've never seen this when playing as Slavs in HD, so I wonder if it's an issue with the way the tech was implemented in WK, or if UP changed something, or if forcing techs can create issues. Far be it from my abilities to pinpoint the technicalities of it
Interesting, didnt know you could control the distances. The varangians used this AI logic earlier on but the way they put their units on the very edge of the landmass constantly didnt look very nice. Would be cool if I could get them to have 1 or 2 tile spacing only, maybe.
I'm not 100% on that so don't quote me on it. Could also be related to TC location, which means that without a TC it could go haywire. If it doesn't work out, I suppose a more blue collar solution would just be to have triggers task units a couple tiles away from the exterior of each yurt.
Since you didn't mention this previously, I was starting to get my hopes up that it was all good on this front! Only the objectives\hints\history has been put through spell checker to find the mistakes a computer can spot;I will have to give the other dialogues a manual look through sometime
I think that the only issues that I found in the objectives/hints/history were minor punctuation errors (one of the objectives lacks a period at the ending, for example). Taking a few minutes to give it a manual scan probably couldn't hurt, I guess.
By the way, I wonder if you noticed I implemented the faux economy we once discussed quite some time ago in this thread? The AI villages bustle around gathering resources and building structures, while hunters and fishing ships can be spotted working but they don't actually harvest anything and the resources deplete at the slowest rates possible. Instead all AI units have their cost set to 0 so they can train them freely as population and .per file allows. I thought it helps the immersion a little bit not to see every player with 30,000 score off the bat, and maybe casts an illusion that the villages are actually playing.
I knew something was up when I saw deer and farms with 30k food content, haha. Didn't know the rest was more extensive than near-instant training. The visual behavior of the AI towns was top-notch. I guess you had the Khazars train villagers from dropsites?

One other thing, by the way - I noticed that the AI would always train fishing ships before it trained galleys, leading to an infinite cycle of fishing ships being trained and sunk while no galleys were produced when the player is threatening the enemy docks with their longships. If you want to change that, you can just add (not (town-under-attack)) to the fishing ship training rules in the AI, which will cause them to produce galleys to defend until their docks are no longer threatened, in which case they will then train fishing ships.

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 08-09-18 06:55 PM CT (US)     785 / 846       
Didn't know the rest was more extensive than near-instant training.
Actually, AI unit training times are far higher than in vanilla Instead they have half a dozen barracks, stables, etc stacked on top of each other. There are triggers to detect when the 'top' building of the stack is razed, and it instantly removes the other, still full health buildings. This seems to be completely undetectable ingame. The point of this is to make the AI train units in squads, hopefully not sending the trickle of death normally associated with AI unit deployment. They sally out in groups far more than normal, anyhow. I believe each difficulty setting has its own unit training speeds.
I encountered a bug where saving and loading the game makes blacksmith techs vanish from the interface. Fortunately, I was able to win without needing to save and load.
I couldn't replicate this bug with either starting inside the editor or starting from campaign selection. Saved and reloaded multiple times including going back to main menu with various different combinations of techs and they were always available upon loading in. Oh boy...well, I dont know that I could fix it anyhow even if I could replicate it.

I pushed an update out that addresses all points except OP throwing axemen. Building ownership, tributes, Knut Thorhallson, varangian units spawning inside huts, fixing+buffing tributes. Hut loot being linked to enemy leaders might come later.

An issue still in the game is cartography. Its disabled, but the player can see the villages when they surrender, including out of play areas. Doesnt look so nice.
One other thing, by the way - I noticed that the AI would always train fishing ships before it trained galleys, leading to an infinite cycle of fishing ships being trained and sunk while no galleys were produced when the player is threatening the enemy docks with their longships. If you want to change that, you can just add (not (town-under-attack)) to the fishing ship training rules in the AI, which will cause them to produce galleys to defend until their docks are no longer threatened, in which case they will then train fishing ships.
Thanks, this worked! Although they can still make one fishing ship to scout with, I guess. This was actually working as intended, as the lesser of two evils;when the AI had galley training listed higher in its per file it would train them constantly, which resulted in an annoying battle of attrition.

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 09-01-18 10:18 PM CT (US)     786 / 846       
2. Do not waste time and ressources on trying to overthrow the Golden Horde -- concentrate on defending your city instead.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. HARD MODE ENGAGED.

Scenario too EZ please buff.

No really, that was quite a fun scenario. I played the first time on moderate and exploited a massive navy right off the bat. This ended up giving the mongols a heap ton of problems and in some cases I even blocked their advance physically and other times they kept running back when shot at. The onagers they brought sometimes fired on my ships but often didn't or could be focused down. I didnt need the reinforcements;they went unused as the purple enemy died on the walls.

Second time I decided to just try and kill the enemy on hard as seen above. This time I even avoided using navy until half way through and massively spammed walls, including out in front of the palisades. I walled up on blues side of the river, and went across with two attacks as they went around the long way, allowing my fairly weak army to destroy their camp in two goes. After that I built up in the blue area and got ready for a big all out push with castles, bombard cannons, geneose crossbows and trash. They spawned in a wave of siege onagers and siege rams after the castle went up near their walls but my bombards came through and their SO didnt get any big shots off. After that they got ground into the dust by a relentless advance, and once I got inside their base they didnt offer much solid resistance anymore.

The map design is really great, and I quite like the region selected. I always found those greek trading city locations in the black sea intriguing. I was quite saddened to hack apart the town for trees. The layout of the fortress town is very interesting to look at. I used fish traps exclusively with no farming in the back area. Very bold to give the players stone walls, castles, and river crossings boats can get into, but I still really like the scenario even if its cheesable. I might try a no boats challenge (except enough to kill the sea towers) and maybe no walls challenge too.

Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09-01-18 11:06 PM CT (US)     787 / 846       
Regarding spreading out soldiers, if your goal is to keep soldiers from clumping around their creation buildings, there are a few AIs that set sn-task-ungrouped-soldiers to 1 every minute or so. After a couple seconds, they'll set sn-task-ungrouped-soldiers back to 0. The effect is that they'll spread out and wander around for a couple sections and then stop where they are when the SN is set back to 0. If this is the SN you're talking about, I don't think there's a way to control the distance. The SN that seems relevant, sn-defense-distance, seems to control something else or doesn't do anything at all. I forget which.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
Bassi
Squire
posted 09-02-18 02:21 PM CT (US)     788 / 846       
Hahahaha! Good job, Cata! I knew this would happen, but was quite sure that Sam would be the first one to defeat the "unstoppable" Horde!

My AoC Workshop
Tarsiz
Squire
posted 09-10-18 10:48 AM CT (US)     789 / 846       
I played the "Rise of Genghis Khan" scenario by Filthydelphia when I had a couple of hours in front of me (not much happens on the boat between Iceland and Denmark so time I had indeed…). Having been reading the books about the Khan by Conn Iggulden in recent times, it made the experience all the more enjoyable.

I played it on Hard and passed it on the first try, although it took me roughly 2-2.5 hours game time to finish it.

The first phase of the mission, where you have only a handful of villagers and are limited to 10-15 pop, is the toughest part. You need to micro your units carefully and send your injured units back to your priest to heal as every single mangudai is precious. Once you reach the next stage of the game (after calling the first feast), you usually have a tech and army advantage and it becomes much easier. The pace of the game is also greatly increased as you're able to take the offensive.

I feel like this reflects the early years of Temüdjin as they are written by Iggulden. He was struggling with his ragtag band of outcasts until he got the support of the Kereyits and was able to destroy the Tatars: all the rest was then much easier (according to the books).

Guard towers being so strong on HD and the tech advantage of the Jin make them very hard to raid (I didn't even make a serious attempt) but the Xixia can be attacked.

A few remarks:
- Temüdjin respawning is a good thing (scenarios when you need to keep your hero alive usually end up as regicide games where you hide them in your castles), but it can be abused to defend yourself against enemy raids: you don't need to keep units at home as Genghis will respawn and kill them eventually. A timer on his respawn would fix that!
- Enemy attacking often try to attack the unbreakable yurt you click to throw the feasts, making their raiding useless. Maybe the hurt could be given to the grey player and have the enemy players been allied to them so that they only attack stuff that can damage you (yurts for pop or villagers)

Overall I really liked the mechanics of the scenario, the emphasis on micro and the small size of the skirmishes. Microing against Hard AI is a pain in the a** but I enjoyed the scenario a lot!

To remain in a Mongol phase I'll play Bassi's Siege of Caffa next.
Al_Kharn the Great
Squire
posted 09-11-18 10:48 AM CT (US)     790 / 846       
Thanks, Tarsiz. Glad you liked the scenario.

Filthydelphia Creations
Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
Complete Campaign Collection
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 09-19-18 06:15 PM CT (US)     791 / 846       
And I thought the vikings were great navigators

Last week I was curious if I could make Siege of Caffa harder. Its not that difficult even with a no boats no walls rule. So I went into the AI files and doubled all AI unit production, and increased their resource cheat values by a factor of 10. This playthrough was much different! I barely won, and a few minutes more would probably be toast:

I was exploiting walls like a madman and had a huge fleet, but their final attack waves were so insane even my galleons went down in flames. Then they just started ripping the town apart and I could barely hold on. Great stuff! Been awhile since I got such a rush out of winning a scenario

Tarsiz
Squire
posted 09-20-18 06:35 AM CT (US)     792 / 846       
I played the Siege of Caffa too, quite enjoyed it!
I haven't given it as many tries as Kataphraktoi seems to have, though.

Played it twice (on hard), won at the second try after having a better idea of how the scenario worked. When playing online, feudal age is where I'm good at, doing damage with a small group of units while keeping my eco running and balancing it to prepare my transition to the castle age is where I win (or lose) games, I'm not especially good at late game or booming, so I'm struggling in scenarios where there is a lot of stuff going on since the beginning.

It's a bit like that in the Siege of Caffa, the city is big, you have units everywhere and enemies start attacking you early and from all angles. After getting a better idea of what is going on, though, it is fairly straight forward. In hybrid land/water maps, ships rule because they are so much more powerful than land units compared to their cost (when you think of it, the blast radius of demo ships is insane). Get some walls, make a few demo shots on the Golden Horde siege units and galleons take care of the rest while you build up in the back and get water control. Withstanding the final attacks was a bit more hairy and longer than expected, which was good given that many scenarios have this problem that the difficulty is high at the beginning but usually strictly decreasing.

I enjoyed the feeling of the economy approach, you don't have much ressources and little starting villagers. Ressources are scarce (the feitoria was a nice idea) as it should be for a city that is under siege.

The map looks really nice and the eye-candy does not hamper the playability of the scenario.

Overall, a very enjoyable and balanced scenario, I especially liked the duration (my attempt took me 45-50 in game minutes, perfect time for a scenario I think). Once thing I was expecting and did not get was a reference to the Black Plague. But that's just detail.
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 09-20-18 07:42 PM CT (US)     793 / 846       
Alright fellas, Siege of Caffa for WololoKingdoms is up on the blacksmith! New features:

No lag spikes!
Reworked river design to prevent warships from dominating the crossing.
Slightly more prone to crashing! (wait, thats not good...but its probably ok!)
Slight tweaks to the player town, reverted most off grid objects there to being back on a grid

The old ruined bridge had fallen into disrepair under frequent Tatar raids and formed a stumbling block for nomad and sailor alike

I really wanted to play the scenario without the periodic lag spikes especially seen when purple attacks, so that is what this conversion is for. I doubt anyone reading hasn't but please play the HD version at least once to see how its supposed to look first. I would also appreciate knowing if you so much as successfully opened the scenario or played it since we had a little tiny bit of issues with WK scenarios so far. Plus this one is tainted with HD...

Bassi
Squire
posted 09-21-18 03:14 AM CT (US)     794 / 846       
Very nice! Just in case someone wonders: The modified conversion Cata created was "approved" by me and the upload happened with my permission.

My AoC Workshop
Al_Kharn the Great
Squire
posted 09-21-18 05:08 PM CT (US)     795 / 846       
And I thought the vikings were great navigators
Welp. AI with transport ships...

For the most part, I was pleased with how well the HD AI was able to use transport ships in that scenario. Maybe your mileage may vary but I did get it to attack consistently throughout the scenario, attack multiple islands, etc. just with AI. Nothing was scripted.

Filthydelphia Creations
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 09-21-18 05:47 PM CT (US)     796 / 846       
I should have added an extra comment there;It was pretty good at landing troops, surprisingly so to the point I wondered if you were using triggers to do it. When the player doesn't build palisades on the beach terrain it works well. I played it 3 or maybe 4 times, it was fairly good but could have used some more randomization in attack patterns. (not sure how you could pull that off in a .per file, way beyond my AI skills)

Al_Kharn the Great
Squire
posted 09-21-18 09:26 PM CT (US)     797 / 846       
I should have added an extra comment there;It was pretty good at landing troops, surprisingly so to the point I wondered if you were using triggers to do it. When the player doesn't build palisades on the beach terrain it works well. I played it 3 or maybe 4 times, it was fairly good but could have used some more randomization in attack patterns. (not sure how you could pull that off in a .per file, way beyond my AI skills)
The landings are done by AI, not triggers. I am sure others like Leif Ericson know better than me how to maximize/randomize the AI's attacks, but it was the best I could do with my knowledge. Randomization (to a limited extent) may be possible, though, but not through the script directly...

That's one of the things I figured out about the AI when designing the scenario and trying to figure out ways to coax the AI into certain behaviors to actually get the landings to work properly. I discovered that triggering created map revealers for the AI would nudge the AI to attack at those locations. I specifically say nudge because the AI would still consistently attack closer buildings known to them before farther away ones, but once the closer buildings were destroyed, I could encourage attacks to other locations by revealing them to the AI. In the scenario, I used this to progressively create new map revealers at the Player's monasteries which I expected to still be standing as other monasteries closer to the AI were destroyed. This required an assumption that the AI would not discover monasteries prematurely.

Theoretically, I could have randomized these reveals, but the AI still favors closer buildings known to them than further ones, so it would not have appeared random and was subject to the AI's exploration. Honestly, once I got a reasonable and consistent pattern of attacks from the AI, I did not want to mess with it for the sake of randomization. Even more importantly, the attacks were balanced and sensible from a game progression standpoint (starting at the monastery on the island, moving to the secondary base, then to either the monastery on the main landmass or the other island monastery).

Another interesting thing I discovered was a solution to what I believe has plagued scenario designers who failed to get functional landings from the AI. At some point (perhaps after a certain number of landings or time), the AI stops using transport ships. I could not identify a reason for this, but it was consistent behavior. The AI seemed to simply no longer recognize the transports as transports and left them parked and empty on the water.

My work-around was to spawn additional empty transport ships for the AI. Interestingly, the AI immediately loads units into these new transport ships, while continuing to ignore the ones they previously had. I set some triggers to spawn new transports whenever more than a certain number of units were on the AI's starting island (I knew if there were X # of units on the island that the AI had stopped transporting units consistently).

I know you weren't as big of a fan of Last Stand at Orkney but I am pretty proud of what I was able to figure out and get the AI to do with the deliberate nudging. The AI was very basic otherwise (the key attack instructions below; the rest of the AI was to control training ships). The attack instructions were the same as what I used for Ironside, which Promi helped me on previously (he recommended the timer system).

(defrule
(up-timer-status 10 != timer-running);
=>
(set-strategic-number sn-total-number-explorers 0)
(set-strategic-number sn-wall-targeting-mode 1)
(set-strategic-number sn-percent-enemy-sighted-response 90)
(set-strategic-number sn-enemy-sighted-response-distance 42)
(set-strategic-number sn-minimum-attack-group-size 2)
(set-strategic-number sn-maximum-attack-group-size 12)
(set-strategic-number sn-percent-attack-soldiers 100)
(attack-now)
(enable-timer 10 5);
(set-stance 1 enemy))

It's a testament to the AI system ES made that such simple code using attack-now is capable of good use of transport ships, even if it needs a little nudging at times.

Filthydelphia Creations

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 09-21-2018 @ 09:31 PM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 09-21-18 11:47 PM CT (US)     798 / 846       
I dont think there is anything wrong with scripted attacks, by the way. I used a lot of trigger based AI in my first two scenarios, and its effectiveness can be enhanced by certain UP effecting modding such as increasing AI units attack radius so they initiate conflict better - its somewhat immersion breaking to just see AI units standing around in your vision in vanilla when they should be doing something.
I know you weren't as big of a fan of Last Stand at Orkney but I am pretty proud of what I was able to figure out and get the AI to do with the deliberate nudging.
I did give it a 4.2 in my (unpublished) review and Siege of Caffa got a 4.6, so its not like I didnt like it. Its a good scenario.
Another interesting thing I discovered was a solution to what I believe has plagued scenario designers who failed to get functional landings from the AI. At some point (perhaps after a certain number of landings or time), the AI stops using transport ships. I could not identify a reason for this, but it was consistent behavior. The AI seemed to simply no longer recognize the transports as transports and left them parked and empty on the water.

My work-around was to spawn additional empty transport ships for the AI. Interestingly, the AI immediately loads units into these new transport ships, while continuing to ignore the ones they previously had. I set some triggers to spawn new transports whenever more than a certain number of units were on the AI's starting island
That is interesting, I will have to remember that if (when) I make a vikings scenario where the AI has vikings. Luckily in my RiverRaids its the player with this unfortunate task of controlling transport ships...
Honestly, once I got a reasonable and consistent pattern of attacks from the AI, I did not want to mess with it for the sake of randomization.
I'm just saying this hypothetically for next time, but I think at that point you could mix in scripted attacks from an additional vikings AI to good effect. You could direct these attacks at the places and in the times the other viking AI didnt strike. Have them not share LOS to avoid messing their attack patterns up.

Although, I think all this talk of randomization, or variety, is missing a larger issue I would have with the scenario. That is the pacing, with the enemy starting to field longboats and more variety of troops only when the player chooses to age up. I found it much easier to just collect the three relics while relying on palisades and the monks being safe being them, converting some infantry to kill off the rams. I think it would make more sense for the enemy to start attacking in more strength on a fixed timer instead, so the player is rewarded for developing quicker and thus responding to it better.Right now it seems the player is punished for playing quickly and being able to levelup sooner.

[This message has been edited by Kataphraktoi (edited 09-24-2018 @ 06:15 PM).]

Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09-22-18 06:45 PM CT (US)     799 / 846       
That map revealer trick is pretty smart. Unfortunately, AI boat attacking and transporting behavior isn't very customizable, but it did work quite well in Orkney. Most of the Userpatch improvements apply to land attacks instead of boat attacks. There are ways to physically micro particular units with Userpatch, but I haven't mastered how to do that yet.

With the idle transports, I've read that it happens when the AI cancels an attack. Doing that causes the transports to idle for the rest of the game. There's probably a way with Userpatch to delete any idle transport ships, but it would potentially also delete idle transport ships that are still usable by the AI.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 09-30-18 03:15 PM CT (US)     800 / 846       
Regarding spreading out soldiers, if your goal is to keep soldiers from clumping around their creation buildings, there are a few AIs that set sn-task-ungrouped-soldiers to 1 every minute or so. After a couple seconds, they'll set sn-task-ungrouped-soldiers back to 0. The effect is that they'll spread out and wander around for a couple sections and then stop where they are when the SN is set back to 0. If this is the SN you're talking about, I don't think there's a way to control the distance. The SN that seems relevant, sn-defense-distance, seems to control something else or doesn't do anything at all. I forget which.
Thanks, I just got this figured out and implemented and its much better than permanently leaving it on, though I still wish I could limit it a bit more. Setting it to 1 for a single second every few minutes seems to do well.

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 10-06-18 06:28 AM CT (US)     801 / 846       
@Pitt/Great_Artiste/Mash - Please tell me someone has a rec or screenshot of Mash getting defeated by wolves

The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
(id: Great_Artiste)
posted 10-06-18 07:34 AM CT (US)     802 / 846       
Now I wish I had it...

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
Mash
Huskarl
(id: Mashek)
posted 10-16-18 02:56 AM CT (US)     803 / 846       
@Pitt/Great_Artiste/Mash - Please tell me someone has a rec or screenshot of Mash getting defeated by wolves.
Sorry, I just saw this! I noticed there were a lot of recorded games in my folder. I will go through them and see if I can't find the one.

Best. Ending. Ever.
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
(id: Great_Artiste)
posted 10-16-18 05:51 AM CT (US)     804 / 846       
I want the wonder one.

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
kud13
Squire
posted 07-08-19 09:11 PM CT (US)     805 / 846       
This thread needs a bump.

Jumped back into HD last week, started by playing Al_Kharn's 2 Viking scens- Ironside and Valhalla's Edge. Reviews pending when I have some time to collect my thoughts, but generally, I enjoyed Valhalla's edge (I followed the map and walled off the bears in Greenland early... Also, I chopped down every tree on my starting island before leaving and I left Gro home in Faroes to keep chopping), and Ironside I made too difficult for myself by losing my fishing ships to Italian towers, so the game was super-slow due to having to manage food and wood production to sustain an army and a navy with just 4 villagers. I also made is difficult by trying to take on Byzantean Fast fires in a naval war, when the more cost-efficient way would probably have been to smash Spain's navy, free Haraldr to get access to throwing axemen and drown the fast fires from land. May replay that to test the balance before giving it a score.

Next I want to replay Bassi's Ancient America scenarios (and play the bonus one) before reviewing that campaign, and then jump into Hammister's work. I dabbled in "thrones of Iberia" a bit and it looks like an interesting model, so I'm gonna jump in from the earliest work- "Lord of the Steppe"/

[This message has been edited by kud13 (edited 07-09-2019 @ 12:11 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 21 22 23 24 25  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames