You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.139 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » This website is dying everyday more!.. :-(
Bottom
Topic Subject:This website is dying everyday more!.. :-(
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-23-19 08:47 AM CT (US)         
=== ONE STEP CLOSER TO DEATH FOR EVERY SECOND ===

I wanted to add a new thread about this problem. If you think that this thread is unnecessary Moderators can close this thread but I wanted to add this thread.

The problem is that this website is dying everyday more. For example: The last forum message was written 4 days ago in SD and D part. ( 19 May - 23 May )

The new forum messages rarefy everyday more. Sometimes only one person writes a message in SD and D part in whole one week. Also people write messages in other forum parts very rarely.

In addition the download numbers decreased very much for most of new blacksmith files. Most of new blacksmith files have very low download numbers. Most of people stopped visiting this website.

Also people started to submit new files less frequently than previous times. People are submitting less new files than previous times.

Most of serious and important scenario designers or mod designers stopped making new files. Most of them became retired.

Most of members became less active than previous times. For example: "Welcome, HELLKNIGHT61. There are 2 guests and 1 other member online..."

Sticky threads don't have any new messages for many weeks.

Also contests, bets and some other activities aren't being applied anymore.

This website is losing blood. :-(

SO: If you agree me how could we resurrect this website? Do you have any solution about this problem?

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 05-23-2019 @ 08:58 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 07-28-19 05:31 AM CT (US)     106 / 139       
Good news, everyone! I've been reliably informed that recent technical changes to the site have drastically reduced the server load and greatly reduced the costs of running the site, while maintaining the exact same services.
Great to hear!
Do you think that making the site look more active by writing more regular features and stuff might help make the site look less dated?
I think an update to the design and a mobile-compatible website are the most important things to start with, but once (if) that is implemented, more and more regular features would certainly help!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 07-28-2019 @ 05:31 AM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 07-31-19 05:06 PM CT (US)     107 / 139       
Now if only the administration here could resist from taking anti-community measures like deleting that Open AoE Project thread.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 09-14-19 05:16 AM CT (US)     108 / 139       
This topic is also dying everyday more!.. :-(
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 09-18-19 04:28 AM CT (US)     109 / 139       
Then post more!

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 09-18-19 08:20 AM CT (US)     110 / 139       
Are there anybody who knows the amount of total message writer and total active lurker by not posting messages in this website?

The number of people who still post new messages = ?

The number of people who still lurk actively but don't send new posts = ?
SafeKeeper
Squire
posted 09-20-19 07:24 AM CT (US)     111 / 139       
It's an ancient game, and forums everywhere have been losing steam for a long time anyways. I'm just amazed this community has existed for as long as it has .
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 09-24-19 04:16 PM CT (US)     112 / 139       
This community just needs to have more outreach to the Steam community, really, if more people from Steam actually knew what the **** AoKH was then it'd be great again.

SafeKeeper
Squire
posted 10-03-19 07:50 AM CT (US)     113 / 139       
If nothing else, more of the Steam community people should know of this place for all the wonderful content on here, both scenarios/campaigns and everything from AI files to guides and utilities .
devagrawal09
Squire
posted 11-09-19 00:17 AM CT (US)     114 / 139       
Okay I have an idea. And before everyone hits me with angry replies and sentiments, hear me out.

What if, we all move?

Few reasons -

1 - Discord is where EVERY gaming community is. I know we are not exactly gamers. People on this website are artists and inventors. We should take advantage of Discord's popularity and awesomeness. Imagine - someone posts some new beautiful map design, scenario idea or mod pack, and gets instant feedback.

2 - We are not going to be with AoC forever. DE is almost out (or out already depending on when you are reading this), and it has features we will miss out on if we stick to AoK's blacksmith and not leverage Steam Workshop. I know it is not the best place to put content, but we can check for plagiarism etc.

3 - This website is OLD. Like really, really old. I am a web developer, and I have seen websites that use newer web-servers and are considered "old". I mean just see the blacksmith download page, which still predicts download time based on internet speeds that were atleast 15 years ago (cgi-bin is about 20 years old). I'd say this website needs a serious redesign, but read #1 and #2.

@HELLKNIGHT61 I feel you. I registered on this website about 10 years ago, and I have been super on and off. Many times I have totally forgotten about AoKH's existence, but some good old memories bring it back up in my browser. Today I opened it after many months, just because I was looking at some AoE2DE videos, and I started thinking "I wonder what AoKH thinks about DE". To my surprise, the community turned even more inactive, and very few people are talking about DE. I still care for this community, or I would have never wrote this comment.

The community is dying because we are clinging to a dying tree. Let's rebuild this community. AoK is not just a competitive game, it's an art form. Do not let this art form go extinct. Give it a new life.

Lemme know what you think

|E)\/
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 11-09-19 05:02 AM CT (US)     115 / 139       
@devagrawal09 "Definitive Edition" is the "last hope" to resurrect this website. Old scenario and mod designers may return to create new files for this new game in both here and steam and epic. Also new scenario and mod designers may occur due to this new game's new features.

All professional scenario and mod designers stopped creating new files. Maybe they can start to work again after DE. Maybe DE's new features cause new scenario and mod designers along with old good ones. These are my last hopes to resurrect "all" websites. Because the steam community is also dying. ( Age of Empires 2 HD "Campaigns" part. ) Noboby sends new campaigns in steam community in these days. For Examples: Bassi, Al_Kharn, Hammister, Thanathor, Lord Basse, Julius etc... All of them don't create new files anymore. They may continue creating new files after DE. This is my last hope.

If DE doesn't work for the resurrection nothing will work for the resurrection in anytime.

- This is your last chance kid! ( Mafia 2 )
bassi_aoc
Squire
posted 11-09-19 05:07 AM CT (US)     116 / 139       
Noboby sends new campaigns in steam community in these days. For Examples: Bassi, Al_Kharn, Hammister, Thanathor, Lord Basse, Julius etc... All of them don't create new files anymore. They may continue creating new files after DE. This is my last hope.
I am going to release new custom campaigns very soon. And I know of at least one popular designer who will do so also.
devagrawal09
Squire
posted 11-11-19 01:55 PM CT (US)     117 / 139       
"Definitive Edition" is the "last hope" to resurrect this website
I realize that, but I don't this this website is worth resurrecting. And when I say "website", I mean the website, not the community.

If you have watched Thor Ragnarok, I'll make an analogy. AoKH is this community, not this website. The community is dying because the website is dying. The community should move on to new websites and apps (like Discord and Steam). Discussions should be held on discord channels and steam forums, and new maps/mods should be shared on steam workshop.

|E)\/
Filthydelphia
Squire
(id: Al_Kharn the Great)
posted 11-11-19 04:17 PM CT (US)     118 / 139       
There is a flurry of excitement and activity on the aoe2 reddit community and across all the AoE-related streams and YouTube channels, as well as gaming streams more generally. Hell, pewdiepie streamed AoE2 just a few days ago! Media like PCGamer have articles on the upcoming release.

A premier AoE2 website would be consolidating all these streams and media articles, hypothesizing on strategy for the new civs, doing historical backgrounds on the new civs and campaigns, and so forth. Basically, all the things this website did way back in 1999 that made it a successful community.

Instead, there's crickets. Hell, AoE Definitive Edition was released on Steam earlier this year and aoe.heavengames.com didn't even announce the release until about a week later. If the site owners and moderators don't have the resources to invest in this site precisely when interest in Age of Empires is at its highest point in 20 years, then this website will not have a revival.

Filthydelphia Creations
Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
Complete Campaign Collection
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 11-15-19 07:22 AM CT (US)     119 / 139       
The steam announcement: better late than never - maybe if MS cared enough about AoE DE we would have posted more news and quicker. Also AoEH did make quite a few newsies which included an interview at gamescom, links to previews and screenshots, date announcements and even a contest with official definitive edition merchandise to name a few things - prior to the release. We did much, much more than AoKH on this topic, though I agree it could have been even better.

You'll only see a marginal increase in activity here with the release of AoE2 DE.

I like AoE2 DE quite a bit, once again especially the building graphics and the music tracks are phenomenal. Some of the new features are very welcome. I do miss a lot of contrast in especially the units, they can be hard to distinguish. I hate the particles, they slow everything down and no option to turn it off. I'm watching quite a few expert matches on youtube and find them very entertaining.

Will I buy AoE2 DE? Nope, there are still quite a few things which are neglectic in AoE DE, and unless they fix that I'll stick to playing the HD version.

Mike Oxhard
Squire
(id: Arnas)
posted 11-17-19 04:51 AM CT (US)     120 / 139       
I've recently watched a video that explains how old internet forums are basically archives by now so it's really astonishing to know there's still activity here. The closest thing to a forum people use these days is reddit, with AoE2 subreddit having like 61k users (with like 500 people currently online)

Also, I think with the release of DE there might be a slight boost in activity.

[This message has been edited by Mike Oxhard (edited 11-17-2019 @ 11:31 PM).]

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 11-17-19 06:07 PM CT (US)     121 / 139       
Definitely has been, I think we're doing good to reach out to the Age of Empirs.com forums and be more known.

Sebastien
Dark Samurai
posted 11-18-19 02:45 AM CT (US)     122 / 139       
Instead, there's crickets. Hell, AoE Definitive Edition was released on Steam earlier this year and aoe.heavengames.com didn't even announce the release until about a week later. If the site owners and moderators don't have the resources to invest in this site precisely when interest in Age of Empires is at its highest point in 20 years, then this website will not have a revival.
This is what happens when you've got one seraph who does some stuff very occasionally and the other, who does literally nothing and other staff who just waddle along hoping and praying (myself included - oh trust me, I could have done a lot more too). Don't forget one of the Serapths is your FE team HockeySam. If even he doesn't care about posting a new article celebrating the release of aoe2:de, then you can't blame other people for not doing the same. That's not aimed at anyone in particular; people get busy. But there lies the issue. And zero motivation - that too.

That being said, the MAIN issue is just the HG brand and dated website, none existant upper management or support. It's been the same for the last 10 years or so, nothings changing and it sapped everything from the site. Everybody lost interest due to constant fear of the site closing and totally none involvement from the people who actually own the sites. TONS and TONS of suggestions, bullet point lists of what need to be done, ideas, brainstorming; all that shit, trust me, we've been through it all... will any of it come to fruition? Probably not. Most likely, not. Trying to work with 20 year old software - not fun. Unless Soccy decides to blow the dust off his fingers and actually put time back into the site, it's all the same from now and forever. He's been putting time and effort into keeping the site afloat. That's about it.

The site doesn't even use it's own hosting for images. Half the site is broken image links because nobody had access to upload images directly to the site. Team changes never communicated that or worked together in the past. No such thing as Trello or Slack back then. It would probably solve some issues/help move things along.

That's just the way it is. There's no point sugar coating it anymore, it should/could have been better... but what can we do? Like other people mentioned, most people move to other sites; Reddit, Discord etc. The blacksmith became redundant with the Steam workshop and now with DE having it's own system it's even more redundant (though easier to adapt perhaps to aoe2e). Most scripters moved to aiscripters, most RMS people moved away and all the new maps are now hosted on aoemaps website. This is solely a site left for the designers; who's community is much much smaller than the other scenes (like tournaments and multiplayer).

At most; the only thing we can do right now is make articles/.tutorials or some other stuff. Probably can still release manually installed scenarios for DE2. That's the BEST we can do. Don't expect any website updates or new code. There was talk of doing some video series and different things, we even had the AOKH FB at one point. But it's all just pointless, if it's going to be gone in 1-5 years.

Anyway. Most of this community has moved to the AOKH discord and I would suggest others to do the same if you still want to carry on with this community moving forward for the next 5-10 years.

You can do so here.

If you want to support AOKH, there's no point in complaining, don't moan, don't point out the obvious (we know, it's been dying for years). Just post. Share work. Log in. Disable your adblock for AOKH. That's it. Simple. If everybody does that, activity increases, staff become more involved and motivated and ad income increases; therefore, ensuring the longevity of the site further. Could this be the resurgence? Well let's see. Both sides are needed to make it work. This is more than just some old website, it's a full on community that's been together for longer than real life friendships in some cases. Do we need AOKH to still exist?...no. But if you're still wanting it around then the above is the solution.
A premier AoE2 website would be consolidating all these streams and media articles, hypothesizing on strategy for the new civs, doing historical backgrounds on the new civs and campaigns, and so forth. Basically, all the things this website did way back in 1999 that made it a successful community.
I agree. Totally. There are new people in other communities and all should band and form a new site, independant of HG. For everything history/design/rms/scenario/ai/modding etc focused (not trying to compete with aoezone for multiplayer).

Although it's MS that could fund a lot of this and have proper community managers and marketing team etc that do a lot of this stuff (like Firefly software does), but Ageofempires.com is horrible to use tbh and I suppose the staff are limited to what they can do.

A new dedicated fansite to AOE2E to do all this stuff on would be the best solution. I've actually been toying with the idea myself and actually tried to purchase AOKH at one point to save it from oblivion, but I had no response. Though, setting up a new site with all the best people on the team to do all those videos, articles and things would be amazing, but it would most likely need at least some support or funding; like paypal donations, advertising revenue, private funding, patreon etc. Even at this point if AOKH did a Patreon or something, I still feel like it'd be pointless because we're still restricted to what we can actually do.

You know, most new sites these days, news sites and fan sites. They're funded, they make money from advertising, a lot of their staff are actually PAID. They're usually backed by some corportate money OR atleast, have an upper management which knows what they want to do with the sites and put there own time into it. AOKH USED to have that, like,...20 years ago. Not anymore. Nobody makes any money here, it's just the fans of the game keeping it afloat cus they don't want to see the site they've grew up on for the last 10-15 years die. Attacking the staff or 'AOKH' in general is really unfair tbh. Everybody has been disappointed, trust me. To turn it around completely requires it to become a part time job, and I don't think people are willing to do that for the sake of it. Having something fresh would be more suitable and motivating.

Edit:.., now I have the urge to start buying domain names for some reason

[This message has been edited by Sebastien (edited 11-22-2019 @ 01:42 AM).]

PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 11-18-19 04:07 AM CT (US)     123 / 139       
A post from the heart, describing the situation perfectly - this is exactly how I feel and I guess most of the staff. There is no communication from the owners and we are pretty much powerless to do something in regard to reviving. I've lost nearly all motivation to post even though I do still visit HG often just to glance or read upon creative projects or whatever, also here on AoKH, because this game is simply awesome and always will be.

We all long for the glorious days of old when this place was bursting with activity. Times are ever changing, but not so for HG.

Mike Oxhard
Squire
(id: Arnas)
posted 11-18-19 05:48 AM CT (US)     124 / 139       
Wow, well said. An interesting point of view from a staff members perspective.

Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 11-18-19 08:53 AM CT (US)     125 / 139       
Thank you, Seb, for the info and perspective. The good news is there are a lot of new players interested in designing, they're just maybe not aware of this site.

Speaking of and on a positive note...

I don't know how freely you guys want the Discord link posted on the web, but this guy was curious to find scenario designers:
https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/dy0fep/scenariocampaign_creators/

Filthydelphia Creations

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 11-18-2019 @ 08:59 AM).]

fabian159
Squire
posted 11-18-19 10:49 AM CT (US)     126 / 139       
I discovered this site and forum a while ago, when I was making scenarios for AoC. I rediscovered it again when I made scenarios for HD years ago, and rediscovered it again with DE (even though I don't have the computer to run it). I've always taken what information I needed and left. So, I don't have the same legitimy as you, but newers can talk too !

This discussion is very interesting for me. I'm the admin of a little forum where we play text games on the forum. It's a little community and we passed through the same problem recently. Everybody went to Discord, and the forum is quite dead, but the community is still active. The forum is still used as archive or for posting specifics things. What I learned : the important is the community, wherever it is.

You almost say everything already ! I would just like to comment few things.
- As said, ergonomy here is really poor and it should be easier to start from scratch elsewhere something more user-friendly.
- The AOE community is completely sparse beetween all sites but this is not a problem ! For me, AOKH is the site of absolute reference about scenario building, editing and modding. Steam Workshop discussions don't have an inch of your level. On the official forum, subforum for that don't even exist. You could (and should) play on that.
- You should value what is useful now. With userpatch, Woobly, HD and DE, we need clarity. You have amazing stuff in your database (that I don't always play as english is not my native tongue) but we can't filter if it's for AoC, HD or DE ! The real question is : what is mainly played actually ? I think HD and DE is far, far, far ahead of the rest. You should focus on that too. Leaving a space for the rest, of course, but prior that. I think people will favor recent stuff over ancient stuff.
- As I understand, the very core of your site is building custom (utilities, mods, scenarios), share it, review it and get help for all that stuff. IMO the Steam Workshop is your friend. I'm not sure of what I say, but if you create a group on Steam, could the "group" release stuff ? Like a AOKH stamp of quality. Something like this ? Moreover, Steam groups are good. You have forums, announces and more. Creating an AOKH group could allow you to master what is AOKH or not in the Workshop, bring people to AOKH,... As all creators these days publish on the Steam Workshop, you should be there too.
- Maybe the response is not having "all in one place" but an ecosystem : Discord, Steam group, this forum and linking each other.
- Finally, publishing guides and articles would really be a plus. The last entry in the University is 2017 ! This for me says AOKH is dead. But creators are still alive, and could share their incredible knowledge to the mass. As someone said, letting everybody write, having people review it before publishing seems good.
Filthydelphia
Squire
posted 11-18-19 11:05 AM CT (US)     127 / 139       
- You should value what is useful now. With userpatch, Woobly, HD and DE, we need clarity. You have amazing stuff in your database (that I don't always play as english is not my native tongue) but we can't filter if it's for AoC, HD or DE ! The real question is : what is mainly played actually ? I think HD and DE is far, far, far ahead of the rest. You should focus on that too. Leaving a space for the rest, of course, but prior that. I think people will favor recent stuff over ancient stuff.
This is a really good point and AoE Heaven did add a separate category on their Granary for DE-specific scenarios and campaigns.

In fact, currently if you submit a file, when you select Version, DE is not an option.

Filthydelphia Creations

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 11-18-2019 @ 11:40 AM).]

Pitt_Man
Squire
(id: Dark_Reign)
posted 11-18-19 02:05 PM CT (US)     128 / 139       
Well there's no better time to try. I'm more than happy to help where I can but I have limited access and don't know my way around the site's coding structure (there's a LOT of old content in there). Just need someone from the staff to help point me in the right spot.

Was super disappointed about the site's lack of trying to capitalise on the release of HD. Let's not do it again.

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         

[This message has been edited by Pitt_Man (edited 11-18-2019 @ 02:06 PM).]

BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 11-18-19 02:33 PM CT (US)     129 / 139       
Discord superceedes the forums, imo. The AoKH discord is more active than the website, can host scenarios, easy to use and manage, etc.

It's a little less organised, but it supports private messaging and group chats, there's already several discords for AoKH design teams and friends, so there's no real reason to use the forums now other than for the archive.

Luke
Squire
posted 11-19-19 08:22 AM CT (US)     130 / 139       
A post from the heart, describing the situation perfectly - this is exactly how I feel and I guess most of the staff. There is no communication from the owners and we are pretty much powerless to do something in regard to reviving.
Been there. Not surprised to hear that nothing's changed in close to two decades.

It's nice to see some of the old crew chime in, though. How've you guys been?

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

Age of Kings Heaven · Outside Discussions
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 11-19-19 09:10 AM CT (US)     131 / 139       
Luke, hey! <3

Personally, I see a lot of people who still seem to care, which means the site isn't totally dead. The problem is the people who care are never in the position to effect change.

Changes are coming, on some level. Nothing will ever change at an ownership/management level so I guess the site will always remain somewhat disfunctional. But within the ability we have to control the site for ourselves, it makes sense to have some uninterested and inactive staff step down, and promote a few people who have shown an interest in updating the site and producing news and content.

Those of you who lament the current state of things and have a few hours a week to spend making it better should send me an email.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
Lord Basse
posted 11-19-19 03:24 PM CT (US)     132 / 139       
I second basically everything Seb said. It's been a few years since I was part of staff, but even then we were discussing ways to bring back life to the site. Some of it did come about, but the major stuff (like a site redesign) never got anywhere beyond bullet points. A big reason why was the lack of communication from HG central command, and the fact that AoKH staff are basically just managers; what they can do to change the design of the main page and forums and such is pretty limited. If I am not completely mistaken, things like FTP access to the main site have even been reduced since my time, meaning that staff nowadays can do even less to update the site than a couple years ago.
Changes are coming, on some level. Nothing will ever change at an ownership/management level so I guess the site will always remain somewhat disfunctional. But within the ability we have to control the site for ourselves, it makes sense to have some uninterested and inactive staff step down, and promote a few people who have shown an interest in updating the site and producing news and content.
This is encouraging to hear! If I can do anything to help, please let me know.
It's nice to see some of the old crew chime in, though. How've you guys been?
Nice to see you pop in, Luke! Haven't seen you around in years.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 11-19-19 05:35 PM CT (US)     133 / 139       
This is encouraging to hear! If I can do anything to help, please let me know.!
Keep compiling and updating your DE editor buglist. That's a thread we can probably sticky in the future. Let's keep track and cross of issues if they get addressed, and it can be a really useful resource.

If you design for DE, as you discover things that are new, write a brief article about it for the university. Stuff like that. Ultimately what drives this site is user created content, and blame the staff and HG as much as we want, the staff are only a fraction of the users. People came her because this was a resource for aok. If everyone uses this site to share knowledge about the DE, it can be a lot more useful again.

Ideally mods can be focused on approving content and managing where it goes, while the community itself can make the content. We need new SD and Modding FAQ's for the definitive edition, walkthroughs of the campaigns, scenario design articles, steam workshop features, etc. No one can do all that, but if everyone who posted in this thread did one thing, we would have a mini resurgence on our hands.

Particularly, look at the UP sticky Tanks put together. Content like that aimed at DE could quickly make this the place for a new wave of old designers who opened their editor and couldn't figure out how new stuff worked, not to mention the waves of brand new wannabe designers that will be coming that need to learn the basics as well.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
Pitt_Man
Squire
(id: Dark_Reign)
posted 11-20-19 01:53 AM CT (US)     134 / 139       
Using my superior editing skills, I knocked up something, is there any reason we can't have something like THIS? By changing a few little features makes it a lot more up-to-date. Obviously a lot higher quality than this, but you get the idea.

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 11-20-19 08:53 AM CT (US)     135 / 139       
The site could definitely use a more modern look.

To put it in perspective, those two knights fighting in the top left corner of the forum are actually I believe from beta art released before AOK came out in 1999.

Lord Basse
posted 11-20-19 11:03 AM CT (US)     136 / 139       
Well, that particular part I think we should keep, precisely because it is as ancient as the game itself. The site as a whole could definitiely do with a redesign, in terms of pure graphics for sure (the example shot looks really quite good, D_R!), but I think the more important part is structure-wise. Having two sidebars locked to the sides of the screen doesn't look nearly as good nowadays, when everyone has a widescreen monitor, as it did back in the early 2000's. Scaling down the middle "box" (where news, polls etc. are shown) to 60-70% of the current size, or something to that effect, would do a lot to improve the look of the site without ever touching on the grpahics themselves.
Keep compiling and updating your DE editor buglist. That's a thread we can probably sticky in the future. Let's keep track and cross of issues if they get addressed, and it can be a really useful resource.
Will do. I have gotten a number of new issues since I last updated it here, and I could do a bit more to give it a nicer design.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
MrMew
Huskarl
posted 11-20-19 09:49 PM CT (US)     137 / 139       
Would we at least like to make a post on reddit, reminding everyone we exist? Let them know we have this large database or resources, experiences modders and designers.
And if new members do join it's best to answer them even if the answer is no. It is the absolute worst to join a community, ask a question and never have it answered. Engagement is key.
Furthermore if you are on a different community site you can link resources for any help other people need, they might even start poking around the rest of the site then.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 11-20-19 09:57 PM CT (US)     138 / 139       
I definitely want to spread the word on Reddit, but hopefully in a week or so some updates will be happening here and we can have something to actually post about on Reddit.

kud13
Squire
posted 11-21-19 10:57 AM CT (US)     139 / 139       
As a user, one thing I really wanna see is a guide for how to convert scenarios/campaigns from older versions to DE, and how to troubleshoot any issues related to that.

Given the expertise of the people on this site, that's probably something we can offer to the wider DE community that'd be in highest demand.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames