You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.113 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » This website is dying everyday more!.. :-(
Bottom
Topic Subject:This website is dying everyday more!.. :-(
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-23-19 08:47 AM CT (US)         
=== ONE STEP CLOSER TO DEATH FOR EVERY SECOND ===

I wanted to add a new thread about this problem. If you think that this thread is unnecessary Moderators can close this thread but I wanted to add this thread.

The problem is that this website is dying everyday more. For example: The last forum message was written 4 days ago in SD and D part. ( 19 May - 23 May )

The new forum messages rarefy everyday more. Sometimes only one person writes a message in SD and D part in whole one week. Also people write messages in other forum parts very rarely.

In addition the download numbers decreased very much for most of new blacksmith files. Most of new blacksmith files have very low download numbers. Most of people stopped visiting this website.

Also people started to submit new files less frequently than previous times. People are submitting less new files than previous times.

Most of serious and important scenario designers or mod designers stopped making new files. Most of them became retired.

Most of members became less active than previous times. For example: "Welcome, HELLKNIGHT61. There are 2 guests and 1 other member online..."

Sticky threads don't have any new messages for many weeks.

Also contests, bets and some other activities aren't being applied anymore.

This website is losing blood. :-(

SO: If you agree me how could we resurrect this website? Do you have any solution about this problem?

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 05-23-2019 @ 08:58 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 06-01-19 06:38 AM CT (US)     36 / 113       
This old person ( aok.heavengames.com ) had had a serious "atherosclerosis" before I have opened this thread. Some doctors made some coronary artery stents to remove atherosclerosis. Doctors made 36 stents until now. I hope that they will make at least 50 stents totally.
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 06-01-19 10:35 AM CT (US)     37 / 113       
This place is dead mainly because no clear direction has been taken in previous 10 years or so. Also the horrible intrusive ads added at the end of last year are driving people away en masse. To make things even worse there is such a lack of activity and commitment, decision making and above all communication from the top of HG that any chance of reviving this place is now non existent.

Grab your favorite downloads and articles before things go down. Which I fear won't be too long from now.
If it really is this bad (which wouldn't surprise me, honestly), is there anyone in a position to download/copy the whole of the Blacksmith, stats and all, so that it can be hosted on a separate website should HG go down? Popey?

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
Devious Dev
Official Professional Qualified Noob
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
posted 06-01-19 10:38 AM CT (US)     38 / 113       
I believe I've read in the past that Seraphs do have FTP access here. If so, Popey likely could back everything up, though if he's actually allowed to do that is a whole other question.
rewaider
Squire
posted 06-01-19 11:24 AM CT (US)     39 / 113       
Well, if it's not possible then at least the remaining active designers from here could download bckup copies of their own scenarios, mods and file descriptions to their pcs and then keep it to possibly upload them somewhere else in the future (if another aok scenario/mods related site ends up being created after the end of aokh).
Not the best option, of course, but it's better than losing it all I guess (as there's still a surprisingly high portion of the good ol' days designers lurking in here from time to time).

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 06-01-2019 @ 11:26 AM).]

Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 06-01-19 06:38 PM CT (US)     40 / 113       
If so, Popey likely could back everything up, though if he's actually allowed to do that is a whole other question.
I've suggested this in the past, and I'm very explicitly not allowed to. The discussion has been to manually trawl through and back them up with a script.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 06-02-19 02:42 AM CT (US)     41 / 113       
It was huge back in the day, when this forum technology was cutting-edge.
I've been here since before the release of AoE2 and... the forums were always antiquated. I think it was already decided back in like 1998 to abandon the actual UBB software updates (which the forum runs on) and to do all the coding by hand. That means the forum missed out on every single forum improvement since then, unless staff volunteers coded it in themselves. This is why the forum is lacking extremely basic functions that were already common even back in 2000, like being able to search through a forumer's individual posts, or through post contents. When you can only search for thread starters and topic titles in a specific sub-forum, your search function is basically useless.

A lot of competitors had more modern forum software, but basically AoKH managed to tie a good portion of the player base to its site, and in particular the 'creative' player base that made scenarios and mods, etc. This is what kept the site so active for so long, compared to other AoK sites, imo. (All the ones that started at the same time as AoKH and were focused more on multiplayer communities have long since disappeared.)
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 06-02-19 06:07 AM CT (US)     42 / 113       
I think that this forum is not still dead due to its "base stocks". This forum has perfect base stocks. You will ask that what does base stocks mean. It means that this forum has too many good designers, modders, members and file archives from the past. These older people continue to visit this forum sometimes because they have pasts with this forum. So they don't want to cut their connections due to their pasts. Also they are wondering this forum's current situation by visiting this forum.

But new people and new players never interest with this forum. Only the old people, who came from the past, are interesting with this forum because they have pasts with this forum. They have memories with this forum. They are still wondering this forum. If these old people don't have any pasts with this forum or start to interest ( or play ) with Age of Empires 2 today they never interest with this forum due to better ( for them ) alternatives. This forum's base stocks ( old members and file archives ) make this forum still not dead.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 06-02-2019 @ 06:09 AM).]

Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 06-02-19 04:28 PM CT (US)     43 / 113       
I've been here since before the release of AoE2 and... the forums were always antiquated
Wow. Given that I was 6 back in 1999, I didn't realise. That's incredibly poor.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
Darth Sarek
Squire
posted 06-05-19 01:29 AM CT (US)     44 / 113       

Nervous whispers continue to spread through the crowd, accented by occasional shouts of despair. Some try to offer encouragement, hope, while others reluctantly admit their surrender to apathy, and yet others, nihilism.
“Is this the end? The end of all life?”
“Was there ever any truth to be found here? Was there ever any life at all?”

Above them on a hill, shrouded in darkness, stands a mysterious cloaked figure. He looks upon them pensively, sorrowfully. His presence goes unnoticed amidst the growing tensions below.

A group of veterans, worn and weary from their years of dedication, stand in a circle amongst the crowd, exchanging woeful glances. Suddenly, a strange feeling passes over them, a faint tingling in their bones, a gentle breeze across their backs.
Popeychops turns to Lord Basse. “Did you…” he stammers, as Basse nods quizzically.
“I sense something,” he says slowly. “A presence I have not felt since…”
He turns to look at the hill, just as the tip of a cloak slides into the shadows atop it, leaving it empty. The men look at one another, a spark of… anticipation… growing in their chests.

“The time draws near,” the figure whispers to himself, as he retreats from his lookout. “Soon, everything shall change. Soon, I shall make my return…”
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 06-05-19 01:59 AM CT (US)     45 / 113       
Hello!.. I am remembering you greatly! We both joined AoK Vanilla Contest 2014 and DtS 2016 in the past! Where have you been in this long time period? You were a successful scenario designer until you become retired like other successful designers.
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 06-05-19 02:51 PM CT (US)     46 / 113       
This forum is antiquated and is lacking seemingly basic features.
Sometime back in 2002ish I went over to apolyton for civ2 content. I was blown away by their high tech site which had excellent private messsaging support and every feature a forum could have. 15+ years later and these forums are still exactly the same...

BTW I dont have internet or easy email acess and wont for many months, so I am kinda out of it and also out of any contest considerations. Maybe someday I will finish and upload a stalled project but until someday arrives I shall be inactive.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 06-05-19 04:02 PM CT (US)     47 / 113       
Ahh, I was wondering where you went!

Also, no internet means no distractions! You could work on an entry for that time, then just upload it the one day you have internet.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
alincarpetman
Cavalier
posted 06-08-19 06:54 PM CT (US)     48 / 113       
This topic has been brought up at AOEH as well.
As the staff knows this subject comes up every year or so and there is a long discussion but not much is done.
As some have noted, HG failed to evolve when it needed to do so for a variety of reasons, some of which are behind the scenes and can't be discussed by staff.

Some have suggested hiring new tech people to make the needed updates but HG's software is unique, custom and complicated - so if an outsider were to attempt fixing the problems they can expect a complex situation even if they can comprehend what needs to be done and how.
There may be someone in this world who could tackle the project - if you know anyone maybe they can discuss it with the staff, it's worth at least clarifying what's going on.
You can contact any staff with serious tech inquires or paid/volunteer offers and they will forward it to the techs.

At this point the options seem to be:

1 Some type of funding/fundraising effort to hire old and/or new tech people to fix and update the site and forum software, or hiring volunteers willing to invest time into such a project.
- HG uses Zope (CMS), FTP, Dhtml, Html, CSS, PHP, Perl, Javascript, Jquery and Radiant on some sites. Further info is confidential and only the techs know.

2 Archive the site and keep it up for downloads and info - make the entire site including forums easily searchable to the public with a text box so players can find the good info in both the forums and website pages.
- A curated archive by staff is also possible but may be a lot of work to dig through and find useful info.
- Utilize Archive.org's Wayback Machine to archive as much of the site as possible.

3 Copy and move the content to other sites (which might eventually make the HG archive unnecessary):
- Old and new downloads can be uploaded at Moddb and/or Steam with old comments/links copied and pasted in each entry.
- Game info, stats, tables, guides, etc can be added to the Wikia sites.
- Discussion is at Reddit, Discord and multiplayer game clients but in a limited form unlike a traditional forum.

4 Create a separate new website & forum. HG was/is a good source for some RTS and City Building games that don't have any other online presence, and currently there is still a mix of genres and games present on the site.
- At the very least a "Microsoft RTS Series" website could be made for the 6 games AOE1, AOE2, AOM, AOE3, RON & ROL that were published by MS as most of those are the most popular here on HG.
- (I think MS with all their money should be running a detailed website for all their games but that's another story.)
- Over the years there were attempts at broader subgenre-based communities - Rtsguru and Citybuildergames.com both went offline for various reasons.
- Researching other game forums and their software to see what options are out there is a start, there might be some decent free/open source options by now.

5 Any other ideas?

The other problem is nowadays game info is scattered across multiple websites:

1 Official Publisher/Developer Forums/Stores - Forum & Game Info (Threads have unlimited timespans, if an official forum exists)
2 Fan Sites & Forums (Heavengames Forum) - Forum & Game Info (Threads have unlimited timespans)
3 Steam Forum/Store - Forum & Game Info (Threads have unlimited timespans)
4 Mod Database - File & Mod Downloads & Limited Mod Discussion (Comments only, no threads)
5 Reddit - Temporary Discussion (Threads are archived after 6 months)
6 Wikia - Game Info
7 Wikipedia - Historical Info
8 Various Youtube videos - Streaming/Video Gameplay, Game Info & Limited Discussion (Comments only, no threads)
9 Twitch - Streaming/Video Gameplay
10 Discord - Online Multiplayer Gameplay Chat
11 Voobly, Gameranger, Hamachi, LAN, etc - Online Multiplayer Gameplay Clients & Chat

So there is no single, centralized source for a particular game's info/community - you have to utilize a dozen or more multiple sites and services for various reasons.
The only other website besides Reddit that has subforums for every game is Neoseeker, but it has also declined or isn't used.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on the subject which hopefully will clarify the situation

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 06-08-2019 @ 07:56 PM).]

Julius999
Imposter
posted 06-08-19 09:17 PM CT (US)     49 / 113       
Why does HG still have this aura of secrecy it has had for many years? By now it is surely obvious that it does not own anything of any commercial value that anyone would bother to steal.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 06-09-19 03:36 PM CT (US)     50 / 113       

Also, no internet means no distractions! You could work on an entry for that time, then just upload it the one day you have internet.
Yeah, I have been making more progress on certain projects over a few months than I made in years! Unfortunately it was non AoC stuff.

Say, I think I owe you an overdue apology. Back when we had that altercation in the exchequer, I said your map Spires wasn't great. Thats not true, and it is great, even though I stand by the gist of what else I said. That is definitely one of the maps I will need to surpass if I ever end up submitting an entry designed to win a PTC.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 06-09-19 04:05 PM CT (US)     51 / 113       
That's kind but not necessary, I never took it personally. All in all, I ended up leaving the file up instead of taking down because it drew so much discussion.

And hey, if you enter PTC, you can compete against me directly.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
alincarpetman
Cavalier
posted 06-09-19 10:04 PM CT (US)     52 / 113       
Why does HG still have this aura of secrecy it has had for many years? By now it is surely obvious that it does not own anything of any commercial value that anyone would bother to steal.
One reason is that some of the tech info has to be confidential so hackers and spammers don't abuse the site, so staff are asked not to give away certain info for security reasons.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 06-09-2019 @ 10:04 PM).]

Darth Sarek
Squire
posted 06-09-19 11:18 PM CT (US)     53 / 113       
Hello!.. I am remembering you greatly! We both joined AoK Vanilla Contest 2014 and DtS 2016 in the past! Where have you been in this long time period? You were a successful scenario designer until you become retired like other successful designers.
Yes, I remember you too! I'm glad to see you are still active here.
It has been a while. I simply got busy with life: family, work, the usual. But I am eager to get back into designing.

It does sadden me to hear people talk about this community dying. I've been working on some pretty cool ideas, and I hope there will still be people interested enough to enjoy it. I was hoping to make a grand entrance with my latest plans, but I'm not quite ready yet. But I figured I should start making an appearance anyway, before everyone I once knew is gone!

p.s.
My comment above was a bit over-dramatic, but I was just having some fun. I know my scenarios needed a lot of improvement. I still need hone my skills, and prove myself once and for all. The PTC will be the perfect chance for me to enact my vengeance!
Ingo van Thiel
Squire
posted 06-10-19 07:52 AM CT (US)     54 / 113       
Ok... as the seraphs are saying so to, it really looks like the HG websites may be becoming inactive, which would be sad news. Lots of memories!

Still. One fun memory, people announced the death of Age of Kings as early as 2001, when Empire Earth came out. Now we are an amazing 18 years past that point. Check out this old post: http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,10352,,all

My new double album, "Song Machine Vol. 1 and 2" with 24 of my songs is online now on Spotify, iTunes, Amazon and most other online services. Check it out, it's published under my name.

[This message has been edited by Ingo van Thiel (edited 06-10-2019 @ 07:53 AM).]

panel
Squire
posted 06-10-19 02:30 PM CT (US)     55 / 113       
Ingo Van Thiel excuse my fanboy-ism, but if not for your Ulio campaign i probably would have never started designing in AOK. The things i learned from your work transcended map design and helped me even in my profession which is also design related. Hats off to you.

Your music is dope too, came across something on youtube and your name stood up, a band playing live. Sounded good to me.
panel
Squire
posted 06-10-19 02:33 PM CT (US)     56 / 113       
And one more thing... if two guys who have probably not opened AOK for years (for me it's been almost five) are now here and commenting on this thread... it's probably not dead yet.

I'm replaying Ulio as we speak! It's great fun still, hasn't aged a bit.
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 06-10-19 02:43 PM CT (US)     57 / 113       
These threads come up semiregularly, and the truth is yes HG is dying. However, everything ends. A 35 year old man and an 85 year old man are both dying, technically. One is just closer.

HG ownership chose a long time ago not to bother to try being relevant and successful in the game website arena. So as soon as that decision was made, the site was dying. When I signed up in 2006 that was already the case. It's been the case all along. Yes, it's closer now. But I wouldn't be very surprised if the site was still more or less the same in 2020, 2021, 2022, etc.

Ingo van Thiel
Squire
posted 06-10-19 04:13 PM CT (US)     58 / 113       
Thank you panel Glad you like both my games and my music

My new double album, "Song Machine Vol. 1 and 2" with 24 of my songs is online now on Spotify, iTunes, Amazon and most other online services. Check it out, it's published under my name.
Al_Kharn the Great
Squire
posted 06-10-19 09:10 PM CT (US)     59 / 113       
Huge announcement of AoK: DE at E3 on Sunday!

Filthydelphia Creations
Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
Complete Campaign Collection

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 06-10-2019 @ 09:14 PM).]

Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 06-11-19 00:54 AM CT (US)     60 / 113       
Yup, it's up on the news (sorry it's a day late)!

Moving forward I'm going to try to keep our coverage current.

HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 06-11-19 01:11 AM CT (US)     61 / 113       
I have some questions about Age of Empires 2: DE.

1-) If we paste our campaign's files into DE's folders will our old cpx, cpn, scx, and scn files work in DE perfectly with DE's graphics?

1a-) Is it compatible with User Patch 1.5 scenarios and Data Mod scenarios that also have used User Patch 1.5 in the past?

1b-) Is it compatible with HD or HD's expansion scenarios and Data Mod scenarios that also have used HD or HD's expansion scenarios in the past?

1c-) Is it compatible with steam HD or steam HD's expansion scenarios and Data Mod scenarios that also have used steam HD or steam HD's expansion scenarios in the past?

1d-) Is it compatible with CD Age of Empires 2 or CD Conquerors's expansion scenarios and Data Mod scenarios that also have used CD Age of Empires 2 or CD Conquerors's scenarios in the past?

2-) Does it will be enough to resurrect Age of Empires 2 scenario designers ( like Ingo van Thiel ) and mod designers for creating new files? ( NOT remastered files NEW files )

3-) Does it will be enough to resurrect Age of Empires 2 Community here or other websites?

4-) Will it cause to "reduce activity" of standard steam HD players, standard CD Age of Empires 2 players and standard UserPatch players due to having a better alternative?

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 06-11-2019 @ 03:11 AM).]

Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 06-11-19 01:14 AM CT (US)     62 / 113       
Are you asking God these questions? How is anyone supposed to have any idea about any of those things yet from a trailer?

Mahazona
Squire
posted 06-11-19 05:32 AM CT (US)     63 / 113       
You have to wait till its released.
Lord Basse
posted 06-11-19 06:41 AM CT (US)     64 / 113       
Nice to see you popping in, Ingo! Gotta chime in with panel, all of your campaigns still hold up really well. TKBM remains one of my favourites!

@alincarpetman

I'd contribute to a crowdfunding campaign to modernize HG. I don't know what money one could pull in, but a running Patreon campaign could be an option, allowing members to contribute to the running of the site (and possibly allowing them to remove those ghastly ads in betweens posts...)

For a game like AoE2, which still has tons of active players, it really shouldn't be that impossible to run a site like AoKH with more activity than we currently have. The main problem would likely be to modernize the forums and everything that has been archived here for the past two decades. Building a new site from scratch would probably be easier, but it wouldn't be the same.

If HG/AoKH were to modernize, it would have to embrace the new landscape that has emerged around the game. Have the Blacksmith provide seemless links to the corresponding Steam Workshop download page, allow for multiple high resolution screenshots for each file, etc. Declutter the front page and make it mobile compatible, ideally make an app for the whole site. Introduce some kind of seamless YouTube and Twitch embedding. Update the graphical design of the site while keeping the feel and colour scheme of the old site. Try to draw in both the casual players from Steam, more hardcore players AoCZone, and so on. In other words, a ton of work. But it could be done. And if AoKH is to survive it might be what is necessary.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 06-11-19 01:49 PM CT (US)     65 / 113       
I might have missed the answer somewhere, but what steps are being taken if any to preserve the data hosted on the blacksmith? If the website goes down next week is that stuff gone forever?

Im redownloading some of my files I didnt even have on my PC, but if the whole file section goes missing that is going to be a real blow. It shouldnt be that much data to store the "Best of AoKH" if files over 50MB are excluded

So I read the thread and it seems backups are just in a discussion phase. Quite frankly if you have direct access to the data I would recommend simply making a covert copy before anyone has a chance to physically stop you. The opinions of HG central wont matter after the fact.

Anyway I have to quote this
Not to call any particular person out, but speaking personally, this forum became a little toxic in some areas a few years back, especially when politics and religion started getting discussed more often and user cliques became more common, with newcomers feeling more and more left out. AoKH wouldn't be the only site dedicated to an older game that went this direction though neither is it the worst.
And strongly agree. Religion and politics need to be strongly banned, they have no place in AoC. Im not going to get worked up over it now though. Although its sad to see AoKH dying I wouldnt exert any effort to keep the culture of HG alive.

[This message has been edited by Kataphraktoi (edited 06-11-2019 @ 01:59 PM).]

Lord Basse
posted 06-11-19 04:43 PM CT (US)     66 / 113       
So I read the thread and it seems backups are just in a discussion phase. Quite frankly if you have direct access to the data I would recommend simply making a covert copy before anyone has a chance to physically stop you. The opinions of HG central wont matter after the fact.
If the EXCO remain as elusive and unresponsive as they usually are, yeah, I can't say I would oppose this. It would be far better if they got their act together, but seeing as they have basically left HG coasting for years now, I think that is highly unlikely.
Not to call any particular person out, but speaking personally, this forum became a little toxic in some areas a few years back, especially when politics and religion started getting discussed more often and user cliques became more common, with newcomers feeling more and more left out. AoKH wouldn't be the only site dedicated to an older game that went this direction though neither is it the worst.
This is the main reason I stopped frequenting the TC, this and the overflow of pony/anime memes... although to be fair I had been a lurker for a while when this started becoming an issue. It does seem like things have improved these days, though, with such topics being confined to their own threads.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 06-11-2019 @ 04:44 PM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 06-11-19 05:08 PM CT (US)     67 / 113       
Alright guys so I spent the last 4 hours making a manual backup of the most important files as I see it. This is obviously entirely inadequate and an automated backup needs to be performed but at least if the website vanishes overnight I have this.

all campaigns rated 3.5 or higher
all scenarios rated 3.5 or higher
all showcases rated 3.5 or higher
all cinematic rated 3.6 or higher
all projects rated 3.5 or higher

The total is 3.01 GB with 782 files. I have it on a HD and a flash drive and will duplicate the contents to all drives I have. The size is smaller than I even expected so uploading it wont be too bad if needed.

Lord Basse
posted 06-11-19 05:22 PM CT (US)     68 / 113       
It's a lot better than nothing at all! Could you send me (or just post) a download link to a zip of the whole thing? It would be good to have multiple backups around if worse comes to worst. MyAirBridge is a great site for big files like these.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 06-11-19 05:28 PM CT (US)     69 / 113       
Is the email in your profile valid? I am ready to send it I think but im waiting for this crappy laptop to finish compressing the files into one zip. Old AMD quad cores :/

[This message has been edited by Kataphraktoi (edited 06-11-2019 @ 05:38 PM).]

Lord Basse
posted 06-11-19 05:38 PM CT (US)     70 / 113       
You upload without an email adress or anything by clicking the "send files via link" button, third button down on the left.

Yep, I still use it.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 06-11-2019 @ 05:38 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames