You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.79 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Pretty Town Contest 2019 - Sign up now!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Pretty Town Contest 2019 - Sign up now!
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 06-06-19 09:25 AM CT (US)         

It's baaaaack! AoKH's unquestionably most popular contest is once again upon us, making it once again time to design your pretty towns. The premise is simple: design the most outstanding town or city map you can! Combat and gameplay are absent, in favour of allowing the player (and the judges) to leisurely tour your map and explore all the attractions your busy (or deserted) towns have to offer. If you are interested and considering entering, please be sure to read all of the rules below before committing your name in a reply. Last time this contest was run in 2017 proved to be the most competitive and exciting contest in AoKH's history, with only 3 points separating first from third. Lord Basse and Julius, both former winners, were crowned joint kings, while Mr. Wednesday, another former winner, rounded out the top three. Five other excellent entries would all also score above average. This year can't possibly top that, or can it? Perhaps some of AoKH's former greats will return for one last hurrah to outdo even themselves, or some bright new face will harness the power of three new expansions to claim the most coveted trophy in AoK design!

Submit all entries to the Non-Playable Scenarios category in the Blacksmith, with the initials "PTC19" typed in the submission title. All entries must be submitted by 11:59 PM EST, November 30th. It must meet the requirements listed below to be eligible for judging. Otherwise, you will face disqualification. As an added note, we will not be approving the files in the Blacksmith until the judging phase has passed, so don't worry if your submission doesn't appear. Our goal is to run the contests this year simultaneously with long deadlines, hopefully encouraging people to enter whatever they feel like and plan their designing hours accordingly.

In addition, please keep in mind that this contest strictly follows the guidelines of how the PTC was previously run and judged to keep with the tradition and intended nature of the contest.

Rules

1. No cut-scenes are allowed, except for opening dialogue to set up the scenario. The player must gain access to their unit(s) within 1 minute of in game time.
2. No combat allowed. Player 1 must win the scenario without having to kill or attack anything.
3. One entry per person or per team only.
4. The use of Userpatch and AOK:HD are allowed.
5. The Use of The Forgotten Expansion, African Kingdoms, and Rise of the Rajas is permitted.
6. Graphical or data mods are not allowed.
7. Any mapsize up to 255x255 is allowed.
8. There is no trigger limit. However, the use of extra triggers will not necessarily warrant a higher score. Be warned however, that everything which is allowed can be used to increase your score.
9. The use of custom soundtracks and sound effects is permitted and encouraged. Everything which is allowed can be used to increase your score. If using custom sound files, please specify somewhere on which speed the scenario is to be played, as otherwise the soundtracks might overlap if the scenario is played on a speed other than what the designer intended, which will cause points to be deducted.
10. You must supply at least 1 unit that the judge can scout with. Any unit may be used, though the judges will deduct points for unnecessarily slow units which decrease the enjoyment of the scenario.
11. A story is encouraged to add further interest, however no 3,000 word epics please. Alternatively, you can have a short narrative, a journal from a traveller or a history of the land to get us, the tourist, into it all! Use whatever you like, but make sure to remember that this is a design-oriented contest. That said, everything which is allowed can be used to increase your score.
12. Please submit your scenario in campaign (.cpx) format.

One final note. Everything which is allowed can be used to increase your score. As story, soundtracks, and triggers are allowed, it stands to reason that they will matter. Judges experience everything as a whole.

Judging

All entries will be judged on how they look, however only what is seen will be judged. The categories are simple and are as follows:

Aesthetic (20) - Covers how the map looks and fits into the world in which it is set. Simply, how well does the design work? How real does the world feel? This criteria also takes into account the atmosphere of the scenario and the overall quality of the design.
Creativity (10) - Covers the creative elements you incorporate into your map and designs.
Layout (15) - Covers the layout of your map. How the different districts of your town connect with each other, layout of the countryside, landmarks, monuments, city design and structure, etc. This category is less concerned with the minute details of your map design and more with the overall arrangement of your town or city, and specifically your vision for the scenario map.
Attention to Detail (5) - Covers the clever little details that make your map stand out and the overall polish of your scenario. Judges will reward careful thought and object placement, renaming of objects, etc. Nothing is too insignificant to be overlooked. Marks may be deducted for mistakes such as 'floating objects', split cliffs, overlapping soundtracks, music or sound effects that are far too loud or too soft, etc.

(total of 50 possible points)

Prizes
To be confirmed...

Judges
1. HockeySam18
2. Devious Dev

Past Pretty Town Contest Entries for Inspiration:

Contestants: (contestants with finished entries in bold)

• Lord Basse
  • The Great Artiste
  • Julius999
  • Panel
  • Andan
  • Possidon
  • Mr Wednesday
  • Zetnus
  • Gastropod
  • Darth Sarek
  • Draconian Devil
  • HoraceStapleton
  • Eragon Daniel
  • Jester_Head
  • Igelior

• Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 10-09-2019 @ 10:26 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 06-26-19 06:02 AM CT (US)     36 / 79       
    Good news is that PTC doesn't require much story.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
    ´ `  |_\
           |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
    ______|______
     \        /
       .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    Mash
    Huskarl
    (id: Mashek)
    posted 06-26-19 07:07 AM CT (US)     37 / 79       
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 06-26-19 08:28 AM CT (US)     38 / 79       
    This is a good situation and planning for Lord Basse. Because he will have very enough time to finish his Fantasy scenario contest entry. ( If he wants to create an entry for Fantasy contest like this contest )
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    (id: matty12345)
    posted 06-26-19 08:34 AM CT (US)     39 / 79       
    I'd say I'm 3% done.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    The Great Artiste
    Serial No. 44-27353
    (id: Great_Artiste)
    posted 06-26-19 10:03 AM CT (US)     40 / 79       
    A solid 3% lead over me

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
    Lord Basse
    MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
    posted 06-26-19 05:57 PM CT (US)     41 / 79       
    So I'm about 70-75% done with the map now, and I probably will finish it tomorrow, leaving the rest of the week for finishing touches. Y'all better step up your game!

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
    OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 06-26-2019 @ 05:57 PM).]

Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 06-26-19 10:26 PM CT (US)     42 / 79       
    There's no prize for finishing four or five months early. :P

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    Lord Basse
    posted 06-27-19 08:07 PM CT (US)     43 / 79       
    No, but sitting in a chair and sipping on a cold drink, watching you all struggling to get to the finish line is its own reward!

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    Possidon
    Slayer
    posted 06-28-19 04:18 PM CT (US)     44 / 79       
    My entry is set in the world of my epic scenario Wrath of the Traibs. You don't have to play the scenario to understand my PTC entry but it'd be great if you did.
    HoraceStapleton
    Squire
    posted 06-29-19 11:00 AM CT (US)     45 / 79       
    I would like to sign up for the contest.
    Lord Basse
    posted 06-29-19 05:19 PM CT (US)     46 / 79       
    I am now officially done with my map! Now I just need to do the triggers and I will be finished.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 06-29-2019 @ 05:19 PM).]

Kataphraktoi
    Squire
    posted 06-29-19 08:08 PM CT (US)     47 / 79       
    No, but sitting in a chair and sipping on a cold drink, watching you all struggling to get to the finish line is its own reward!
    It is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another -Livy

Working slowly but steadily on an entry. I had to restart from scratch once already as I naively forgot about some brutal HD Edition bugs. I might finish by the deadline, I hope.

By the way, I have already gotten annoyed with and banned the usage of any more TriggerStudio. Furthermore the construction of rooves of relics and waterfalls of fish will be left to those who enjoy such endeavors.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 06-29-19 11:21 PM CT (US)     48 / 79       
    *looks around*

I believe I am the inventor of both those monstrosities.

HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 06-30-19 02:35 AM CT (US)     49 / 79       
    I hope that Lord Basse will create both Fantasy and Pretty Town Contest entries due to his great planning and speed.
    Lord Basse
    posted 06-30-19 04:47 AM CT (US)     50 / 79       
    That is my aim!

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    Mash
    Huskarl
    (id: Mashek)
    posted 06-30-19 04:46 PM CT (US)     51 / 79       
    I am now officially done with my map!
    You are a mad man, but an awesome one.
    Lord Basse
    posted 07-06-19 08:37 PM CT (US)     52 / 79       
    About 40-50% done with the triggers for my entry now. I won't have much time to work on it in the coming weeks, but I hope to get an hour in here and there.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    Lord Basse
    posted 07-13-19 06:51 PM CT (US)     53 / 79       
    Bumping this a bit to say that I am now about 90% done with my map. I just need a few more hours of trigger work and polishing to have a functional entry. Then all that is left to do will be to write the accompanying story.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    Eragon Daniel
    Squire
    posted 07-14-19 08:56 AM CT (US)     54 / 79       
    Count me in
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 07-29-19 08:43 AM CT (US)     55 / 79       
    Anyone want to report on progress other than Basse?

I'm maybe a quarter done.

Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 07-31-19 12:49 PM CT (US)     56 / 79       
    We need a betting thread, but I don't think Lildbehr is around, and that was his thing, so perhaps we can just place bets here.

I'll start by providing my assessment of the odds for the field.

Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 07-31-19 01:19 PM CT (US)     57 / 79       
    Statistics and Odds: Julius999

Julius enters the 2019 competition having entered 4 of the last five PTC's, wth 2 1st's, 1 1st place tie, and one 2nd place. The lone contest he missed, he also never bothered to sign up for, which shows that when he wants to enter, he likely will finish.

Strengths
    Julius has evolved his style over the last decade. His PTC entries are perhaps the best examples of storybook or 'picture book' towns, in which a guided tour reveals the town 'page by page', so to speak. Perhaps the most unique thing about his style is his uncanny ability to mix minimalistic, understated designs with more than his share of 'wow' moments and clever editor tricks. This seamless blend of ingenuity and simplicity gives his maps a sense of realism few maps achieve.

Weaknesses
    No map can be all things to all viewers, and Julius's style leaves some room to be excelled in a few areas. Twice Lord Basse has been able to defeat/tie him, and both times were with a map that excelled in atmosphere and storytelling. The PTC is largely a designing showcase, and Julius produces some of the best if not the best showcases ever. But occasionally a contestant can produce an entry that becomes a gaming experience and not just a showcase, and depending on the taste of the judges, this type of entry can win out.

Chance of completing an entry: 85%
    Chance of winning if entry is submitted: 50%
    Chance of placing if entry is submitted: 95%

With a whopping 50/50 shot of winning against the entire field, Julius starts off as the clear favourite. His chances of placing are basically assured. It seems unfathomable that three different people could pass him, when only Lord Basse has ever accomplished the feat, and then only 1.5 out of 4 times.

Predicted Score: Julius has averaged a score of 139/150, accounting for corrected scores under the older contests being out of 80. Two of his entries have left only one point on the table. Based on his previous efforts, I expect he will come in somewhere between 141 to 147/150. We can take the middle of that range for an over/under of a projected 144/150 points.

Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 07-31-19 01:54 PM CT (US)     58 / 79       
    Statistics and Odds: Lord Basse

Like Julius, Basse enters the 2019 competition having entered 4 of the last five PTC's, wth 1 1st, 1 1st place tie, and one 3rd place finish. With his entry reportedly almost already done, he is the surest bet to at least submit a file.

Strengths
    Everyone else makes pretty towns. Lord Basse in Agartha made a great scenario that just happened to satisfy the rules of the PTC like no fighting. It's this ability to tell a great story and craft a complete experience within the strict confines of this contest that sets Basse up for another big showing.

His actual design skills should not be overlooked, however. Not one to often lead the way in inventing tricks, Basse nevertheless has spent more hours in the editor than most anyone, and knows all the little tricks from 2009 you maybe forgot. He will also typically have at least a few new and original things in every design.

Weaknesses
    Sagropireia, Smile No More, and Agartha have done the gloomy, empty atmosphere and done it well. It's hard to imagine a 4th scenario of this style really covering any new ground. That means Basse will have to do something different, and he hasn't won with different yet.

His designing skills are without reproach, though his maps when viewed as a screenshot are less visually impressive than some of his main competitors. Can he find a way to reinvent himself once more? Time will tell.

Chance of completing an entry: 99%
    Chance of winning if entry is submitted: 25%
    Chance of placing if entry is submitted: 80%

A 1/4 shot to win it all may actually be a bit low for the Swede, as he has won half the contests he entered, if you count that awkward, sticky tie. If Julius is the clear 1A, Basse is the undisputed 1B. His chances of placing are crazy high, though at only 80% it is conceivable that in a very stiff competition he finishes 4th.

Predicted Score: Lord Basse has averaged a score of 130/150, accounting for corrected scores under the older contests being out of 80. His worst scoring entry was his first, and his best scoring entry his last, showing a definite upward trend. It's very likely he at least surpasses his average on his last three entries of 134. This places him somewhere in the range of 135 to 145 points. Over/under set at 140/150.

Darth Sarek
    Squire
    posted 07-31-19 07:56 PM CT (US)     59 / 79       
    though at only 80% it is conceivable that in a very stiff competition he finishes 4th.
    No, it's inconceivable. He can't finish 4th, because 4th place is always reserved for me... :P
    Possidon
    Slayer
    posted 08-01-19 05:18 AM CT (US)     60 / 79       
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 08-01-19 08:10 AM CT (US)     61 / 79       
    I plan on doing everyone, it just takes time.

Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 08-01-19 10:21 AM CT (US)     62 / 79       
    Statistics and Odds: Darth Sarek

Darth Sarek is one of many entrants who it is hard to gather a lot of information on. He has been around for some time, but only entered one PTC, which resulted in a 4th place finish. PTC15 was notable for two things: the beginning of widespread use of off grid placement (both with UP in the 1st place entry and with HD in the third place entry), and the absence of both Julius and Lord Basse. Both those titans will be in this contest, as is the 2015 winner, but Arnas and CK are gone.

Strengths
    Sarek's first entry to the PTC has to be considered a success overall. 4th place in a contest like the PTC is never bad, and for a first attempt puts him on par with Lord Basse. He also has a 2nd place finish and a 4th place finish in two unrelated contests. In 2015 he was only two points from 2nd, but also only 2 points from 6th. This identifies him as a B level threat, not on par with the scariest names, but generally expected to finish in the top half and compete for 3rd place if a few things go his way.

Weaknesses
    The PTC is the stiffest contest at AoKH, and 'solid', 'good', and 'competitive' maps just aren't going to win. If Darth Sarek wants to take one of the top three spots, he is going to have to take the step from good design work to something inspiring. While it is certainly possible, until he does just that, he won't be a favourite to win.

Chance of completing an entry: 80%
    Chance of winning if entry is submitted: 2%
    Chance of placing if entry is submitted: 25%

With a 1/4 chance to place, Darth Sarek is a name that will show up on a lot of people's top five bets, but probably isn't going to garner any first place votes.

Predicted Score: In 2015 he scored 124/150 points. I see him improving on that score, but only marginally. with a predicted scoring range of 125-129, his over under is set at 127/150 points.

HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 08-01-19 02:07 PM CT (US)     63 / 79       
    After I had seen these posts I started to wonder Mr Wednesday's all ideas that are about all Fantasy contest contestants. I think that we also need betting for Fantasy contest.
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 08-01-19 03:36 PM CT (US)     64 / 79       
    I may come by and enter the fantasy contest if I finish my entry for this one by October.

MrMew
    Huskarl
    posted 08-03-19 09:15 PM CT (US)     65 / 79       
    Darn, no mods.

Time of Tea
    Still in the Dark Age
    Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
    Jester_Head
    Squire
    posted 08-11-19 05:48 AM CT (US)     66 / 79       
    This look fun, i want participate hockysam

Also what is floating objects mean can someone tell, its a mod what?

Sorry 4 my english

[This message has been edited by Jester_Head (edited 08-11-2019 @ 05:53 AM).]

BF_Tanks
    Squire
    posted 08-17-19 04:20 PM CT (US)     67 / 79       
    Whew~ What a frightening line up.

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
    Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
    and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
    Lord Basse
    posted 08-24-19 05:19 PM CT (US)     68 / 79       
    99,9% done with my entry now. With any luck I will have it completed by tomorrow.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    posted 08-24-19 05:53 PM CT (US)     69 / 79       
    Ooooh. compare your entry to Agartha? Better? Worse?

About 70% done my map. Still plenty to do in the trigger department, then bitmap, sound files, etc.

I gotta say I didn't expect to need the whole time allotted, but I've had a lot less time to devote to this than in 2017. An hour here, half an hour there, and I'll probably take right up to the deadline.

Lord Basse
    posted 08-25-19 03:47 AM CT (US)     70 / 79       
    Agartha is grander and has, I think, the better story. But in every other respect I think my new entry is superior. Particularly the town itself, as this might be the best town I have designed so far, for the PTC or anything else. Then again I am probably a bit blind about its qualities after working so much on it... but it's safe to say that I am very pleased with the results!

So you are going to have to cook up something extraordinary if you want to beat me this time around.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    « Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames