You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.76 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Fantasy Scenario Contest 2019
Bottom
Topic Subject:Fantasy Scenario Contest 2019
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 06-11-19 08:09 AM CT (US)         

Hello all, and welcome to AoKH's Fantasy Scenario Contest! The theme of this contest is Fantasy (shocking!), but that might take in more than you expect. Historical fiction with a slice fantastical, mythologies, legends, low fantasy, high fantasy, book adaptations, original stories, all are fair game! If you are interested and considering entering, please be sure to read all of the rules below before committing your name in a reply.

Submit all entries to the Single Player Scenarios category in the Blacksmith, then post here to let us know the scenario is to be considered an entry. All entries must be submitted by 11:59 PM EST, November 30th. It must meet the requirements listed below to be eligible for judging. Otherwise, you will face disqualification. As an added note, we will be approving the files in the Blacksmith as they appear, so don't worry about the long deadline. Our goal is to run the contests this year simultaneously with long deadlines, hopefully encouraging people to enter whatever they feel like and plan their designing hours accordingly.

In addition, please keep in mind that this contest is a newer addition to AoKH's lineup, and as such we encourage you to voice any concerns you have with the rules or format.

Rules
1. Cut-scenes are allowed, but must be contained within the scenario. Scenarios must include at least some playable portions.
2. One entry per person or per team only. Yes, team designs are allowed
3. The use of Userpatch and AOK:HD are allowed.
4. The Use of The Forgotten Expansion, African Kingdoms, and Rise of the Rajas is permitted.
5. Graphical or data mods are allowed. If your scenario uses an original modification, include it in the download file. If your scenario uses an existing mod (eg. Age of Chivalry or Tales of Middle Earth, please include a link in the file description to the download).
6. There is no trigger limit. However, the use of extra triggers will not necessarily warrant a higher score.
7. The use of custom soundtracks and sound effects is permitted and encouraged. If using custom sound files, please specify somewhere on which speed the scenario is to be played, as otherwise the soundtracks might overlap if the scenario is played on a speed other than what the designer intended, which will cause points to be deducted.
9. Please submit your scenario in campaign (.cpx) format.

Fantasy Theme
As noted, the scenario must be considered to contain some fantasy element. If you are having trouble deciding if your scenario qualifies, consider the following examples:

Scenarios that would be allowed:
1. A LOTR or Game of Thrones adaptation
2. A scenario based around Norse, Egyption, Chinese, Aztec, or Greek Mythology (among others)
3. A Robin Hood or King Arthur scenario
4. Ulio or The Kings Best Men (or I should say something like these, please no plagiarism)
5. Historical Fantasy, such as a Merlin based England scenario

Scenarios that wouldn't really qualify:
1. A highly historical version of Badon Hill
2. Religious scenarios
3. Historical fiction with no real fantastical elements. A Trojan War scenario which features the Greek gods would be allowed, for example, while something like the movie 'Troy' is mostly just pseudo-historical fiction.

Judging
All entries will be judged based on categories slightly altered from the review guidelines, as follows:

Enjoyment (15) - Simply, how much fun is the scenario to play?
Balance (5) - When played on the suggested settings, is the scenario well balanced? If there is more than one difficulty setting, do the levels scale appropriately? An easy or terribly hard scenario may still score full marks, if the judge feels his enjoyment was not hindered by lack of challenge or multiple saves/reloads.
Creativity (5) - Covers the creative elements you incorporate into your map, story, gameplay, and design. Creativity should be judged roughly as it is scored in a blacksmith review.
Scenario Design (15) - Covers your map design skills, your soundtrack, your bitmap, your presentation, the flow, the polishing...simply put, it's the skill on display at making scenarios!
Story (10) - Similar to the blacksmith, but with particular focus on how the fantasy elements of the story were implemented, or how the original story was adapted, the legend was re-imagined, etc.

(total of 50 possible points)

Prizes
To be confirmed...

Judges
1. Popeychops
2. Kataphraktoi(?)
3. DeviousDev
4. Lord Basse

Some fantasy scenarios for inspiration:

Contestants: (contestants with finished entries in bold)

• HELLKNIGHT61
  • The Great Artiste
  • HockeySam18
  • Vardamir
  • Leif Ericson
  • TheRealGuardian
  • Talon Karrde
  • iLikeHell
  • Mr Zurkon

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
    ´ `  |_\
           |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
    ______|______
     \        /
       .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
      `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 09-16-2019 @ 08:42 AM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Andanu Trisatya
    Squire
    posted 06-25-19 04:34 AM CT (US)     36 / 76       
    Are we allowed to register a day before deadline? I want to see how my project goes on first before deciding whether to enter this contest or not.

████████
    ████████
    /\NDANU TRISATY/\
    The Least Skilled Member of StormWind Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 06-25-19 05:46 AM CT (US)     37 / 76       
    Yeah, you can register anytime before the deadline. Registering earlier just helps build excitement and commitment.

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    HockeySam18
    Dúnadan
    posted 06-25-19 05:53 PM CT (US)     38 / 76       
    At the risk of parroting the question posed in the other thread, how is everyone progressing?

I just started today, so that question is definitely not a thinly veiled brag

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But the good name never dies of one who has done well." - Hávamál

"Hockey is the only sport left for true men." - ax_man1
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 06-26-19 06:00 AM CT (US)     39 / 76       
    I'm almost 200 triggers in, but they're all for one small section of the scenario. I feel like this section might account for half of my triggers.

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 06-26-19 08:33 AM CT (US)     40 / 76       
    I haven't started my entry. I think that I will start my entry after finishing my "Doom Episode 3/5" scenario that is the third episode of my single player Doom campaign project. After finishing my "Doom Episode 3/5" scenario I think that I will start my entry that is for this contest.

I am working on my "Doom Episode 3/5" scenario now. Its 75 percent was completed until now.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 06-26-2019 @ 08:34 AM).]

Lord Basse
    MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
    posted 06-26-19 05:58 PM CT (US)     41 / 76       
    I have so far done absolutely nothing. I'm currently focusing on my PTC entry. But I do have a basic concept for a scenario which I will try to get to work... and more importantly, try to make fun to play!

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
    OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    Kataphraktoi
    Squire
    posted 06-29-19 08:14 PM CT (US)     42 / 76       
    I need to withdraw my hat from judging considerations. My apologies

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
    Slave25000
    Squire
    posted 06-30-19 10:03 AM CT (US)     43 / 76       
    Are we allowed to also put in a little 5 min tutorial map before the actual scenario? Just to explain a few things with the actual entry?
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 07-09-19 10:19 AM CT (US)     44 / 76       
    NEWS: I have finished my "Doom Episode 3/5" scenario. I have sent my file both here and steam. It is available in steam now. It will be available here a few days later. ( If the personel approves it )

So I will start making my Fantasy Contest entry 7 - 10 days later. I have more than one Doom topic in my mind. So I couldn't resolve the most ideal my Doom topic for this contest. So which topic I should choose for this contest?..

I have "10" different ideas. But I can only choose one of them. So what do you suggest me?..

IDEA 1: "The Sheriff's wizards open a new teleportation portal gate to Hell planet accidentally while they are trying to call dangerous gins to kill Robin Hood. Robin Hood has to close to the portal by using his archery skills...

IDEA 2: "Christoph Kolomb explores Hell planet in 1495. He explores there by finding an old Martian teleportation device in Mexica. Humans start to massacre and exploit Demons. Humans make Demons their slave. Humans continue exploiting Demons until 22nd century. Demons start to struggle against Humans for their independence in 22nd century..."

IDEA 3: I will start to make my "Doom Episode 4" scenario as both a contest entry and both the fourth episode of my single player DOOM campaign project.

IDEA 4: The story will be about "HELLKNIGHT61". Player will control a Hell Knight in the whole game. Player will play my story. ( HELLKNIGHT61's story ) Hellknight61 will teleport into the World from his planet Hell accidentally and its life will very change. ( Psychological story about ostracisation )

IDEA 5: The story will be about Demons, Vampires and Humans war. These 3 civilizations will fight against each other. Player will be able to control only one race. Player will choose his or her race in the beginning of the scenario. Player can choose one of 3 races in the beginning.

IDEA 6: The story will be about Spiderdemon vs Cyberdemon civil war. There will be 2 alliances... Spiderdemon's alliance or Cyberdemon's alliance... Player will choose his or her alliance in the beginning of the scenario. Player can choose one of 2 alliances in the beginning.

IDEA 7: I will make a classic DOOM scenario with a fast paced gameplay like Doom (2016). There will be many weapons and monsters.

IDEA 8: I will make a DOOM 3 style Doom scenario with a slower paced, horror based and slow methodological gameplay like Doom 3 (2004). This game will be more survival horror based like Resident Evil 1.

IDEA 9: The story will be about the Spider's adventures. Player will control only a single Arachnotron in the whole scenario. Player will use strong plasma gun against enemies.

IDEA 10: I will make Doom 2's story. The Demons will invade World. Humans will try the save the World from Demons.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 07-09-2019 @ 10:26 AM).]

Talon Karrde
    Squire
    posted 07-09-19 07:42 PM CT (US)     45 / 76       
    I may perhaps overestimate myself (and, more importantly, the time available to me!) and try my hand at creating something for this contest.

Bah.
    TheRealGuardian
    Squire
    posted 07-09-19 11:35 PM CT (US)     46 / 76       
    HELLKNIGHT61, I personally like the sound of your "Idea 5", not that my opinion matters too much.
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 07-10-19 06:56 AM CT (US)     47 / 76       
    Do it Talon. Even if you don't win, the contest is all about us having fun with a creative project, so it's worth it.

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 07-10-19 06:57 AM CT (US)     48 / 76       
    Also, can the judges respond to Slave's post above? I don't want to make a judgment call since I'm a contestant.

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    Darth Sarek
    Squire
    posted 07-10-19 10:48 PM CT (US)     49 / 76       
    HELLKNIGHT61, all of those ideas sound cool. I like number 7 or 8 the most, although number 4 sounds very interesting as well.
    Popeychops
    "Cool" Huskarl
    posted 07-11-19 04:14 AM CT (US)     50 / 76       
    Are we allowed to also put in a little 5 min tutorial map before the actual scenario? Just to explain a few things with the actual entry?
    Including the tutorial in a small section of the main map will definitely be allowed.

As a separate scenario, I think that would be an unfair advantage as we're not allowing cutscenes in separate scenarios.

You'll have to have a change objects trigger to ensure that the player receives their units and buildings when the tutorial is finished.

Member of BlackForest Studios
    Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
    and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
    "Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
    "Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
    "You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 07-17-19 12:05 PM CT (US)     51 / 76       
    NEWS: "Doom Episode 3/5" was both released HERE and steam community.

I was at summer vacation in real life in the last week. Because of this reason I was inactive in the last week. So if you are convenient can you write your idea number here? You don't need to write any comments. Writing the idea number only is enough for me.

For Examples:

Forum Member 1: "İdea 2"
    Forum Member 2: "İdea 5"
    Forum Member 3: "İdea 8"
    Forum Member 4: "İdea 4"...

If I can't obtain enough feedbacks about your idea numbers I will use a different method ( like gamble ) to choose my idea for making my contest entry.
    Lord Basse
    posted 07-17-19 02:08 PM CT (US)     52 / 76       
    Generally, if you cannot decide between multiple ideas, just pick one and start working on it. If it works, keep going, if not just pick another one.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 07-18-19 06:23 PM CT (US)     53 / 76       
    Agreed. Another point is that you know a lot more about your ideas than we do, so you're more qualified to decide. We would be voting based on incomplete information.

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 07-19-19 01:50 AM CT (US)     54 / 76       
    In fact I want to use your vote numbers for my mathematical calculation. I have a mathematical formula to choose my topic.

FORMULE: "The total value of all idea numbers one by one / The amount of all ideas"

For example about our current formule value: 5 ( Real Guardian ) + 7 ( Darth Sarek ) + 8 ( Darth Sarek ) + 4 ( Darth Sarek ) / 4 ( The amount of all ideas ) --> 24/4 = 6

The formule brought me Idea 6 for now. If other people give me their numbers I will add their numbers to my formule. Otherwise I will choose one of my ideas by myself like Lord Basse have said.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 07-19-2019 @ 06:19 AM).]

Al_Kharn the Great
    Squire
    posted 07-19-19 01:02 PM CT (US)     55 / 76       
    These ideas are not on a continuous scale. You say #6 is in the lead even though not a single person voted for it.

Filthydelphia Creations
    Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
    City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
    Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
    Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
    Complete Campaign Collection

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 07-19-2019 @ 09:18 PM).]

Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 07-19-19 07:17 PM CT (US)     56 / 76       
    Math is fun, but it's not as good at picking your topic as you are.

I'm saying this as someone who has used math to make decisions in the past because I was unsure about my creative or decision making abilities. Trust me, you'll make a better decision than your formula.

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 07-20-19 01:40 AM CT (US)     57 / 76       
    I will choose my "Idea 1" "Robin Hood". Because Robin Hood is the my most downloaded campaign both here and steam. People are downloading the files that have "Robin Hood" title. My Robin Hood file has 660 downloads here. My Robin Hood file has nearly 3000 downloads in steam. ( If we add my all steam Robin Hood upload subscribe numbers one by one from the beginning until now )

SO: If you don't give me enough ideas I will definitely choose Robin Hood. ( Idea 1 ) Because it has the most potential download number. If you give me your ideas I will choose the idea that has most votes from you. ( If there are more than one most voted ideas I will choose the idea that has earliest message forum time post. )

TIME LIMIT: I will give you a little more time to obtain your ideas. After the time limit finishes I will choose your the most voted idea or I will choose my Idea 1 Robin Hood.

*** EDIT (24 July) ***: The voting is now closed. I have chosen my "Idea 1" for this contest. I will make a Robin Hood topic Doom entry for this contest. The entry's name will be "Robin Hood's Doom".

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 07-24-2019 @ 03:40 AM).]

iLikeHell
    Squire
    posted 08-05-19 05:39 AM CT (US)     58 / 76       
    Sign me up
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 08-05-19 03:19 PM CT (US)     59 / 76       
    Nice! Added.

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    Possidon
    Slayer
    posted 08-11-19 05:23 AM CT (US)     60 / 76       
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    (id: matty12345)
    posted 08-12-19 09:53 AM CT (US)     61 / 76       
    If I get the PTC entry done early I might do a Middle Earth scenario in a few weeks and enter a half baked entry.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    Possidon
    Slayer
    posted 08-12-19 11:47 AM CT (US)     62 / 76       
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    (id: matty12345)
    posted 08-12-19 04:05 PM CT (US)     63 / 76       
    Yeah, new version should be out long before then.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    Mr Zurkon
    Squire
    posted 09-09-19 01:46 AM CT (US)     64 / 76       
    I'll give this a go. I've never released or even finished a scenario before but I've got a good feeling about this one.
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 09-09-19 09:50 AM CT (US)     65 / 76       
    Nice! Added you to the list.

How's everyone's entries going?

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 09-09-19 12:42 PM CT (US)     66 / 76       
    Hi!.. I started to make my entry. But unfortunately I had to divide my entry to 2 different scenarios. First scenario is hundred percent cinematic nonplayable cutscene scenario. It is a cinematic historical scenario that is about Robin Hood's story until Robin Hood reaches the elevator of Nottingham Castle. I have finished the first nonplayable cutscene scenario but I haven't started to make the main playable scenario yet. By the way the second playable scenario will be the rest of first cinematic scenario. So the first cinematic scenario is very important to understand the story.

I know that my cutscene scenario may cause some problems due to being a single seperate scenario from the main scenario but I had to make it into a different map due to cutscene scenario's technical issues. So my entry will have 2 scenarios. ( Historical cinematic nonplayable cutscene + Main playable scenario )

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 09-09-2019 @ 12:43 PM).]

Lord Basse
    posted 09-13-19 08:55 AM CT (US)     67 / 76       
    I'm going to have to withdraw my name from the running. Realistically I won't be able to finish a map worth submitting in the next few months. I will gladly help with the judging, however.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    Talon Karrde
    Squire
    posted 09-14-19 01:21 PM CT (US)     68 / 76       
    Oof, well it's going. The part that I really wanted to make (map-wise) is done, but after nearly two decades of not doing trigger work that aspect is a pain. So the map may be about 40% done, triggers way less than that. Man I miss the triggers in Empires: Dawn of a Modern World, specifically where you could give every effect in a trigger its own timing.

I'll definitely try to finish it for the deadline though, as there are some ideas in it of which I'm quite proud.

Bah.
    adamproxdude33
    Squire
    posted 09-16-19 05:24 AM CT (US)     69 / 76       
    can you withdraw my entry too
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 09-16-19 07:22 AM CT (US)     70 / 76       
    My biggest fear, that is about this contest, is that I will be the only person who sends an entry for this contest. I hope that I will be mistaken about my fear. My bad voice taunts me sometimes about this contest.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 09-16-2019 @ 07:23 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames