You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.54 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Burmese Architecture set
Bottom
Topic Subject:Burmese Architecture set
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
omarrgg
Squire
posted 02-10-19 03:15 PM CT (US)         
hello again community! Im here again for council and feedback, since I have finished the Hun set (published in steam and soon on aokheaven of course hehe) I have started on a next big project, a castle and Imperial age set for the Burmese!, but being sincere I have not the slighlest idea on how to start,, the photos that I have encountered are preaty impresive, but Im not convinced they are from the right period, nevertheless this are my tests:

castle age roofs

imperial age roofs

I think I have already the roofs... the problem is the rest of the buildings haha, and since the buildings from rise of rajas are based on Angkor Wat I would not just change the roofs. plese send me all the feedback you can to help me with this project!!
AuthorReplies:
EBuilder
Squire
posted 02-10-19 06:36 PM CT (US)     1 / 54       
Looks quite good. I don`t understand how you made allt his so quickly but I will try to help .

The second one is based on Ye le Pagoda if I`m not wrong (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiUoN3MtbLgAhU4HbkGHV80A6YQjhx6BAgBEAM&url=https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-detail-roof-building-traditional-burmese-architecture-style-ye-le-paya-pagoda-myanmar-burma-image81713521&psig=AOvVaw2wpEFgK6I11JlGUO37mwhF&ust=1549931139337031) who was made in the third century BC. It isn`t probably the best option to base the architecture set as it is quite before Aoe2 timeline but it was probably changed since then so I think that isn`t a big problem. I feel that you should base most buildings on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thatbyinnyu_Temple#/media/File:That-byin-nyu.jpg

[This message has been edited by EBuilder (edited 02-10-2019 @ 06:37 PM).]

Omkar
Banned
posted 02-11-19 05:57 AM CT (US)     2 / 54       
Wow that's great. Good to see someone trying to complete the missing architectures. Workshop needs Burmese and Ethiopian architecture sets. Also can you please rework the incan set with a bit more proper shades and shadows. Thanks for all your efforts.
Most of your sets don't have shadows. Why don't you just skew the image towards left in proper angles and then replace the colours with the shadow pallete. I think that will be enough.
I think Mahazona knows some facts about Burmese architecture, he was saying something about green roofs, you already have those plans. I think you are on the right path. Keep going, these look awesome.

[This message has been edited by Omkar (edited 02-11-2019 @ 06:01 AM).]

Mahazona
Squire
posted 02-11-19 06:38 AM CT (US)     3 / 54       
https://www.inspirock.com/myanmar/yangon-rangoon/national-museum-a514416441
You can see some good building models here.
Normally red color walled buildings are for the king jand white walled for the queens and concubines.
Red roofs are normal for buildings and green or gold is mainly for religious buildings.

You can see wall tower and palace buildings in the 3d model.
https://www.inspirock.com/myanmar/yangon-rangoon/national-museum-a514416441

Google for mandalay palace and it will give you some good designs to work with.it was the last palace built in 1800 but it will still look very familiar to medieval buildings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandalay_Palace

[This message has been edited by Mahazona (edited 02-15-2019 @ 10:05 AM).]

omarrgg
Squire
posted 02-16-19 04:02 PM CT (US)     4 / 54       
now this is an early test, is still full of errors and im open to any change that you might suggest:

what do you think?? pleas send feedback !!
Charging_Knight
Squire
posted 02-16-19 04:32 PM CT (US)     5 / 54       
Omargg, the Burmese built alot of buildings out of high quality wood/teak. You could use more wood, even in the Imperial Age buildings but with maybe more ornamentation. Also, I think the roofs do not need to have so many layers. One or two is enough, with brighter dark red. They look abit too dull.

Domus Dulcis Domus --- Home Sweet Home...ZzZzZzZzZ
Mahazona
Squire
posted 02-16-19 07:32 PM CT (US)     6 / 54       
I agree with the above comment,too much orange for my taste.
Omkar
Banned
posted 02-17-19 01:12 AM CT (US)     7 / 54       
@omargg Can you please consider completing this set:
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=11522
It has almost all the buildings, just a few towers, mill and house are needed. I can clean up the models and create well anchored slps and add shadows. Can you help make those missing buildings. Please it can serve well for Malays.
Mahazona
Squire
posted 03-02-19 02:54 AM CT (US)     8 / 54       
How is the progress going?
omarrgg
Squire
posted 03-08-19 10:13 AM CT (US)     9 / 54       
weeeell... this took an unexpected turn of events, burmese buildings end up being more a challenge than I could expect so, I will re think the models and present a new propose in the future, however, looking in the game files I found the Wringin Lawang gates from indonesia and I start experimenting so, this is the result, the Majapahit (wrongly called malay on rise of rajas) architecture:

in order: imperial market, castle, imperial Uni

I dont really know it those are acurate, the form of tht castle is mostly to fit the form of the previous south east Asian castle, in fact I inspired me on the images I found and some might even come from later period of the Matram Sultanate, but I think it matches the overall time period of the game.

anyways the set is almost completed so if you have some suggestions I can upload more images and discuss the details of this set
TriRem
Huskarl
posted 03-08-19 10:36 AM CT (US)     10 / 54       
Very interesting buildings I like the color tone of the buildings, more in line with the feudal set than the originals.

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
noble lancer
Squire
posted 03-08-19 04:11 PM CT (US)     11 / 54       
looks like a very nice set! Hard to tell the market and uni at a glance though, might be problematic to play competitive games in these...
Mahazona
Squire
posted 03-09-19 00:10 AM CT (US)     12 / 54       
Very nice and has a cool look to it.
Bala Arizalu
Squire
posted 03-09-19 07:12 AM CT (US)     13 / 54       
Hope Pepp see this, he know alot about Javanese architecture.

[This message has been edited by Bala Arizalu (edited 03-09-2019 @ 07:13 AM).]

Tomcelmic
Squire
posted 03-09-19 10:02 AM CT (US)     14 / 54       
That's fantastic, omarrgg! I'd like indeed to see more about this new set of yours! And I bet I'm not the only one

One suggestion: if you could add here and there some garudas statues instead of the lions...I wonder if it would feel more javanese?
Steve444
Squire
posted 03-09-19 10:19 AM CT (US)     15 / 54       
Hey @omarrgg,
I know this runs away from the post, but did you ever see the Age of Africa's building set of Dire_Wolf? Your Ethiopian set looks like what he tried to do. Maybe you can give him some ideas if you want and if he's still working.

By the way, the Burmese buildings are very good.
omarrgg
Squire
posted 03-16-19 06:56 PM CT (US)     16 / 54       
hello dear comunity, I'v been very buissy so I havent comment a lot here, but there it is the preview on the Majapahit buildings!!

as you can see I used the pagodas roofs and walls to make the set as well as the original south east buildings as a base for this set.

this is almost completed, the only lacking buildings are a pair of towers, the trade workshop and the always troubling mill, I will only make the castle and imperial sets but I wont make any walls as they are very time consuming, hope you understand

as always thanks and hope to read all your opinions and feedback
Mahazona
Squire
posted 03-16-19 07:57 PM CT (US)     17 / 54       
Great work on the buildings.

For the walls you can use the Indian walls or a recolored version of it.Srivijaya/Majapahit are strongly influenced by chola building designs.

[This message has been edited by Mahazona (edited 03-17-2019 @ 01:25 AM).]

EBuilder
Squire
posted 03-16-19 11:16 PM CT (US)     18 / 54       
Wow. Pretty unique design. I love it
denjamin_8921
Squire
posted 03-17-19 04:41 AM CT (US)     19 / 54       
looks great
Pepp
Squire
posted 03-22-19 05:49 AM CT (US)     20 / 54       
I like the feudal style. The only thing off for me is that edifice in the imperial age structures. It looked like it isn't put evenly.

Trivia: the pagoda structures in Rise of Rajah are actually Balinese pura. I recommend you to look for Balinese architecture to learn deeper about Majapahit, rather than the Islamized Mataram architecture.

Also I disagree if someone says that Rise of Rajah falsely called the Majapahit civ as Malay. I believe the civ is called as such because it is pointless to portray every single entity of tribes in medieval Indonesia. That way player may emulate Majapahit, Sunda, Srivijaya, or Langkasuka etc

Creator of AoE III: Struggle of Indonesia

Once tried to mod AoK but failed due to laziness
omarrgg
Squire
posted 03-22-19 10:05 AM CT (US)     21 / 54       
hello Pepp people told me about you and I see why hehe, well first of all those are in fact castle age buildings since I was not planing on making a separate feudal set. I dind't understood the "It looked like it isn't put evenly" part, please elaborate so I can improve them, also can you give me some concrete Balinese architecture examples that I can chack out, as I said earlier this buildings are a mix of the images I could find on internet and Im sure I confused regions and time periods since I know nearly nothing about south east asia and its architecture, but for general purposes a good set need to be a compromise between game style and acuracy, so please send feedback!
Pepp
Squire
posted 03-22-19 06:52 PM CT (US)     22 / 54       
The stupa you put on top of the brick-roofed town center is weird. We never put stupa that way in in later Majapahit era, or actually we barely use stupas at all!

Instead, this style of roof shape which is called Joglo roof is topped by some ornaments like there https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFZUVlAb0XlibG8s9MHMaY2vGfNMNU_ZQOGxumOuSFprqYMHy6

No matter what, I prefer the Balinese style more than the Javanese.

Here you can see an example of Balinese architecture which you may use as the imperial age style https://www.jejakpiknik.com/ubud-palace/

omarrgg
Squire
posted 03-22-19 10:08 PM CT (US)     23 / 54       
sooo, for the imperial set the ornaments of ther roof should be closer to the one on the market and university but grey?
Omkar
Banned
posted 03-22-19 10:24 PM CT (US)     24 / 54       
The Pala Empire of India also influenced Majapahit a lot. I mean thet have structures like these:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/Bajang-Ratu-Gate.jpg?itok=NzQmcFTm
The Bajang Ratu Gate and Wringin Lawang
Pepp
Squire
posted 03-24-19 05:00 AM CT (US)     25 / 54       
I'll leave it to your imagination, but that's the path.

EBuilder
Squire
posted 03-25-19 10:22 AM CT (US)     26 / 54       
Will you redo the set? If you redo it you can use the (great) old versions of the buildings as the feudal age ones
Fedemantoni94
Squire
posted 03-27-19 05:25 PM CT (US)     27 / 54       
You know that this is fantastic.. You're great Omarrgg

#========{O}========#
-\\ Legendary Edition //-
Total conversion coming soon
Enhanced Interface Edition
Sounds of Empires
#========{O}========#
omarrgg
Squire
posted 03-27-19 09:56 PM CT (US)     28 / 54       

Pepp soo is this roof look better? (thanks to Abe for the ornaments!)
Pepp
Squire
posted 03-28-19 07:40 AM CT (US)     29 / 54       
Try to make it brick colored and you're done!

omarrgg
Squire
posted 03-28-19 10:37 PM CT (US)     30 / 54       
Pepp ok, soo what color shoul the tiles be colored??
also if you know anything about Burmese architecture could you give me your opinion on my last attempt to nail the style of Burma:

I tried diferent red tones for the wood parts but the conversion to BTMs and AOE2 pallet made a mess ith them so I end up trying with the orange wood from the viking wonder and it looks pretty much ok to me hehehe (yes I used the same ornamets from the malay buildings since I could not find others that could suit the style)
dontstayafk
Squire
posted 03-28-19 10:54 PM CT (US)     31 / 54       
I recommend using the RGB color 145, 145, 145 as a shadow instead of black because it is transparent.
Omkar
Banned
posted 03-29-19 08:18 AM CT (US)     32 / 54       
Shadow is not a big issue, it can be fixed later. I would rather like to keep the shadows black for the buildings that don't have a separated shadow slp to prevent unwanted unit occlusion on the shadows.
Szaladon
Squire
posted 03-31-19 10:13 AM CT (US)     33 / 54       
I absolutely love your new Burmese barrack. If the rest of the set looks this way it's amazing.

Your Majapahit building set is great. I like the new style of your new university too.

I'd prefer if your castle would be more symmetrical.

[This message has been edited by Szaladon (edited 03-31-2019 @ 10:14 AM).]

omarrgg
Squire
posted 04-02-19 11:54 PM CT (US)     34 / 54       
thanks Szaladon I will be working on it soon

in the mean time this is a preview of the castle and the generl style of the set, please send feedback as always!!
Szaladon
Squire
posted 04-03-19 12:57 PM CT (US)     35 / 54       
The Burmese Castle could look a bit more massive (bulky) IMO.

By the way, do you plan to put some ornaments on the white parts of your Burmese buildings? They seem me a bit bland.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames