AOE2: The Conquerors
(Original CD Version)
with 1.0C Patch, and
AOE2: HD (Steam, 2013).
J. BURNELL's ORIGINAL SUMMARY:
This is a short scenario which tells the tale of the true meaning of Christmas. It follows the story line, as it is in the Bible with a few changes, creating some "modern" aspects to the well known traditional story.
There is no fighting or death in this scenario (it's about Christmas), and the game is mostly in the form of cutscenes.
I appreciate that this has been done before on Age of Empires II, (by AnastasiaKafka, I believe) so I am not trying to be original or anything like that, but I made this for last Christmas for my friends, but have only just finished it now. I also wanted to make a game that depicted more of the actual story than just the birth of Christ itself.
Once again, thank you for downloading,
INSTALLATION FOR AOE2:TC ON WINDOWS:
1. Copy the .cpx file from the Zip file that you downloaded to your C Drive's main "Age of Empires II\Campaign" Folder. The mission comes in the form of a Campaign with only one scenario.
2. Move all the sound files in the Zip file's "Sound" Folder into your computer's main "Age of Empires II\Sound\scenario" Folder.
INSTALLATION FOR AOE2:HD:
Paste "The Christmas Story HD.aoe2campaign" file into your computer's Age2 HD folder's
Paste the .mp3 sound files into your Age2 HD folder's "resources/en/sound/scenario" folder.
If you are playing AOE2 on another version than English, you might need to paste the sound files into the corresponding language path (eg. "resources/fr/sound/scenario" for French)
RAKOVSKY'S DESIGN NOTES:
In 2009, J. Burnell submitted his "A Christmas Story" scenario that he made on his Mac
to the AOK Blacksmith, but it only worked on Macs. He asked in his comment section if
anyone could give suggestions on making it work on Windows.
MePy on the "Age of Empires II Gold Edition for Mac OS X" Discord Server fixed it to
work on Windows on AOE2:TC.
I liked the Scenario a lot, and it worked on my AOE2:TC 1.0C program. When I tried to
play the Campaign in the AOK(HD)(2013) Steam version, the Campaign did not show up in
my list of Campaigns. So MePy sent me the Scenario folder. I fixed a flaw in the Magis' Chat
dialogues and also addressed the problem that shows up when you play the AOE2:TC
scenario in AOE2: HD when the Advisor unit doesn't move when Herod wants to talk with
him in the palace's south room. See the README file for more information on that glitch.
RAKOVSKY'S GAMEPLAY NOTES:
- Set the Game Speed to Normal
- Turn your Game's Music level to 0 in your Options menu because the Scenario's special background music runs using "Sound" files.
- The Yellow Battering Ram between the magi and Bethlehem must represent the star.
- Sometimes the gate out of the beginning city (Nazareth) didn't open, so I needed to restart the Scenario. If that happens to you, replay the opening part slowly. Wait until the message saying to go to the Temple before you move the units there. You can also click on the priest when you get to the Temple. Then Wait there until a Roman soldier rides over and talks about the census. A small area of the map is revealed to the northeast, which is where you need to go to find the inn where you will ask to stay.
- In the final scene in the manger, music plays and the characters stand still. After a while, the game ends on its own, so you must wait instead of resigning in order to get to the Victory screen.