You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.113 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » This website is dying everyday more!.. :-(
Bottom
Topic Subject:This website is dying everyday more!.. :-(
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-23-19 08:47 AM CT (US)         
=== ONE STEP CLOSER TO DEATH FOR EVERY SECOND ===

I wanted to add a new thread about this problem. If you think that this thread is unnecessary Moderators can close this thread but I wanted to add this thread.

The problem is that this website is dying everyday more. For example: The last forum message was written 4 days ago in SD and D part. ( 19 May - 23 May )

The new forum messages rarefy everyday more. Sometimes only one person writes a message in SD and D part in whole one week. Also people write messages in other forum parts very rarely.

In addition the download numbers decreased very much for most of new blacksmith files. Most of new blacksmith files have very low download numbers. Most of people stopped visiting this website.

Also people started to submit new files less frequently than previous times. People are submitting less new files than previous times.

Most of serious and important scenario designers or mod designers stopped making new files. Most of them became retired.

Most of members became less active than previous times. For example: "Welcome, HELLKNIGHT61. There are 2 guests and 1 other member online..."

Sticky threads don't have any new messages for many weeks.

Also contests, bets and some other activities aren't being applied anymore.

This website is losing blood. :-(

SO: If you agree me how could we resurrect this website? Do you have any solution about this problem?

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 05-23-2019 @ 08:58 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Vampirus Mortem
Squire
posted 05-23-19 11:37 PM CT (US)     1 / 113       
With all of the pretentiousness I've seen around here in previous years it really shouldn't come as a surprise. The majority of players are in the Steam Community now which has it's own forums, and anyone who buys the game from Steam would already have an account with which to post there.
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-24-19 10:40 AM CT (US)     2 / 113       
aok.heavengames.com [ Birth Date 1999 - Death Date May 2019 ]

Death Reason: Malaria ( Steam Community Bacteria )
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 05-24-19 10:08 PM CT (US)     3 / 113       
Post more and it'll be less dead.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-25-19 02:31 AM CT (US)     4 / 113       
I am not "enough" here alone to resurrect this website. In addition people usually don't prefer interesting with or answering to my threads.
Basse
Squire
posted 05-25-19 03:59 AM CT (US)     5 / 113       
A lot of people are still lurking, but not posting as much as they used to. It happens from time to time. The activity of this forum varies wildly from year to year
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-25-19 04:32 AM CT (US)     6 / 113       
I think that 2019 is the most passive year for this forum. ( New file numbers, new forum message numbers, download numbers of new files, other activities like contests, bets etc... )

I registered this website in 2014. This website was really active in 2014 and 2016.

2015 was also a little passive.

2017 and 2018 was also passive but these years were much more active than 2019.

My rankings:

1-) 2014 ( Most active )
2-) 2016
3-) 2015
4-) 2017
5-) 2018
6-) 2019 ( Most passive )

ALSO: Most of the time I encounter with this message: "Welcome, HELLKNIGHT61. There is no one else online..."

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 05-25-2019 @ 04:35 AM).]

Mahazona
Squire
posted 05-25-19 10:00 PM CT (US)     7 / 113       
Most of serious and important scenario designers or mod designers stopped making new files. Most of them became retired.
people are busy with real life modding/gaming is something done in free time.
Im not making units now for 2 main reasons
1.lack of inspiration
2.people using HD are just stealing stuff we make.
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-26-19 02:42 AM CT (US)     8 / 113       
I think that some people finished their student life and they started business life. So they may be more busy than their student life in their business life. In addition people work 10 - 14 hours per day and 6 days for a week in some countries like China, India, Japan, Turkey etc...

Some people upload aok.heavengames.com files into steam community without file author's permission but this illegal process also may be helpful for the file author who don't have any steam community account or who don't have Age of Empires 2 game in steam library because more new people will see author's file and more new people will download author's file. But the steam uploader must reference the name of the original file author and the original file author's aok.heavengames.com link.

The other reason is that there are too many better alternatives are available instead of making new triggers and maps in 2019. Some people can't raise their heads from CS GO, Dota 2, PUBG, Fortnite, Zula etc... People prefer watching Game of Thrones instead of adding a new condition to their triggers.
Mahazona
Squire
posted 05-26-19 04:40 AM CT (US)     9 / 113       
People prefer watching Game of Thrones instead of adding a new condition to their triggers.
Whats wrong with that?Not everyone makes scenarios or plays them.
this illegal process also may be helpful for the file author
NO it does not,if someone wants to download mods they can do it from here they dont even need to register.
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-26-19 05:03 AM CT (US)     10 / 113       
I didn't want to mean that watching Game of Thrones is wrong. I wanted to mean that Game of Thrones is a good alternative instead of making a new scenario. So watching it can prevent making new scenarios for example. ( Due to less time stock )

Most of Age of Empires 2 community members are only available in steam community. These people are only using steam community. They never visit here and they never download anything from here. They are only using and downloading from steam community. So I think that these illegal processes are good ways to reach Steam Community's more specific Age of Empires 2 community.
Zetnus
Squire
posted 05-26-19 09:06 AM CT (US)     11 / 113       
I think part of it is the emergence of Discord servers as a place where people have AoC-related discussions instead. At least for the RMS part of the forum (which was never very lively in the first place), no one posts questions here anymore if they can get a faster answer on Discord (or reddit or whatever). It's still a good place to post guides and things for people to be able to search for and read in the future though.

........//\
......./ / / \ Check out my Blacksmith submissions as well as my stuff in the Steam Workshop.
....../ / /\\ \
...../ /_/_\\ \ Proud guardian of the Updated New RMS Guide <<<version 3 is out<<<
..../_____\\\ \
....\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ and the Random Map Scripting Links and FAQ thread.
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 05-26-19 11:12 AM CT (US)     12 / 113       
I think part of it is the emergence of Discord servers as a place where people have AoC-related discussions instead. At least for the RMS part of the forum (which was never very lively in the first place), no one posts questions here anymore if they can get a faster answer on Discord (or reddit or whatever). It's still a good place to post guides and things for people to be able to search for and read in the future though.
There is an AoKH Discord server that we started here.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 05-26-19 06:34 PM CT (US)     13 / 113       
It's mainly that AoE2 dialogue is split across Discord, Reddit, steam, etc. This forum is antiquated and is lacking seemingly basic features. For new players Reddit or steam are just more likely places to end up. This forum has nostalgia and extremely knowledgeable members, but little else.

Instead of being sad that the website is 'dying', realize that HG has been dying for 15 years, and the good news is AoE2 discussion will always continue on elsewhere.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-27-19 10:08 AM CT (US)     14 / 113       
I understood the reason of the less new forum messages. ( Due to Reddit, Steam, Discord etc... ) But unfortunately download number also reduced if we compare with previous year. Also the new file number reduced. Lastly contests, bets and other activites etc... are also died.

I think there is only one possible chance to ressurrect this website. Someone must assassinate and kill "steam community" secretly and silently by using a silencer. Someone must follow and ambush "steam community" secretly and silently before killing it with silencer. ( JOKE )
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 05-27-19 11:50 AM CT (US)     15 / 113       
Contests need contestants. If there was enough interest in any contest I would be happy to run it.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 05-27-19 05:17 PM CT (US)     16 / 113       
Yeah, it is. There's not a lot that can be done about it.

This is a nostalgia site. It was huge back in the day, when this forum technology was cutting-edge. We have a download section which is the rival of anything else on the internet, with the curation of so many detailed reviews acquired over so much time.

But we're not cutting-edge any more. All our staff are volunteers with busy lives. Each year we lose more members of the community to age, responsibility, or apathy. Each year, fewer people join.

I accepted that when I became Seraph, I would almost certainly be the last Seraph of AoKH. Let's enjoy it until then.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
Andanu Trisatya
Squire
posted 05-28-19 03:04 AM CT (US)     17 / 113       
I don't think there's any issue here. If it's about download numbers, you can just upload your works on Steam. If it's about discussions, you can just find and converse with people on Discord or similar platforms.

This website has stood long enough and has now served its purpose. Instead of taking any possible extreme measures to rejuvenate the level of activity, like Popey stated it's better to enjoy everything that's left while you still can.

Me? I may disappear from time to time but I'll never leave. And for me the Blacksmith will always be the only place to submit whatever I manage to produce in my spare time.

████████
████████
/\NDANU TRISATY/\
The Least Skilled Member of StormWind Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-28-19 07:56 AM CT (US)     18 / 113       
@Mr. Wednesday = You must put a "minimum participant limit" until the end of registration time comes. If contestant number can't pass the minimum participant limit after the end of registration time comes you can cancel the contest or you can extend the end of registation time until obtaining new contestants.

@Andanu Trisatya = I want to give you an example but please don't think that this is an offense: "A Prologue to a Prologue" has only 7 downloads! Yes!.. Only 7 downloads!.. ( One downloader is me. ) I think that you must upload this file to steam community by using "AoE II HD Compatibility Patch". In addition you say that I must try to enjoy from this website. You are right. There is no problem about enjoying with it but I think that the Moderators and Staffs will also stop interesting with this website a few years later. So this website will be hundred percent static ( much worse than today ) a few years later. If this situation continues a few years more I think that every members ( also Moderator and Staffs ) will stop interesting with this website. So this site will be hundred percent passive. Nobody can't send any new files or reviews if this site becomes hundred percent passive.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 05-28-2019 @ 07:57 AM).]

Dave3377
Squire
posted 05-28-19 03:40 PM CT (US)     19 / 113       
It does die down quite a bit from time to time, but it often comes back in spurts. I thought it was dead a number of times, but just look at the activity this post has generated.

I personally lurk on here 2-3 times a day 4-5 days a week. I just post less often. I am also sporadic in working on modding, but I do a lot behind the scenes before posting anything. I do worry that I will never finish the mod I've been brain storming and playing with this past year, but it is fun either way.

Honestly, I've been lurking on here since 2001 with even some multi-year hiatuses.
Vampirus Mortem
Squire
posted 05-28-19 09:15 PM CT (US)     20 / 113       
The popularity of AoE 2/AoK itself is limited and probably has about 5 more years at most before hardly anyone plays the game. Despite a Definitive Edition, HD, mods, and all the patches, there simply hasn't been enough to energize the community. I retired from playing Aoe 2 years ago myself save for a few skirmishes with mods every now and then or custom campaigns.

As wisely put by Popey this is now mostly a nostalgia site by now where any remaining Aoe 2 players can find downloads and other content from any point in time, such as the early 2000s scenarios by Ingo Van Thiel that we all enjoy, or unit slps for modders.

Not to call any particular person out, but speaking personally, this forum became a little toxic in some areas a few years back, especially when politics and religion started getting discussed more often and user cliques became more common, with newcomers feeling more and more left out. AoKH wouldn't be the only site dedicated to an older game that went this direction though neither is it the worst.

[This message has been edited by Vampirus Mortem (edited 05-28-2019 @ 11:46 PM).]

HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-29-19 01:11 PM CT (US)     21 / 113       
Unfortunately I discovered this website too late. ( 2014 ) If I had discovered this website 15 years or 10 years earlier than 2014 I think that I would be a very successful and famous scenario designer. I discovered this site too late. I sent my first file here in July 2014. I think that I reached my "highest" level and experience now ( May 2019 ) to create new scenarios ( due to the lessons of my previous experiences ) but unfortunately this site is nearly dead. So even if I create very good scenarios with my current level and experience only very few people will download them here. ( Due to website's passiveness ) If I had registered this website in 2004 ( or before ) with my current experience and level I think that I would be an extremely successful designer but now it is too late due to website's death.
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
posted 05-29-19 03:03 PM CT (US)     22 / 113       
Not to call any particular person out, but speaking personally, this forum became a little toxic in some areas a few years back, especially when politics and religion started getting discussed more often and user cliques became more common, with newcomers feeling more and more left out. AoKH wouldn't be the only site dedicated to an older game that went this direction though neither is it the worst.
Just for the record, this isn't true in my opinion at all. Religion and politics have always been limited to TC, and even then usually to specific threads. TC gets its activity from GSD and SD forummers, not the other way around. People find this site because they want to play aok in some form, and then usually migrate to TC once they stop playing but still enjoy the company of the other members of The forum.

TC, for all the complaints about it, helps extend the lifespan of the average forummer, not lessen it. And if it is clicky now, it was ten times so back a decade ago. While I totally agree it is sometimes a toxic place, it certainly isn't responsible for the inevitable decline In activity.

AoKH has largely survived as a Scenario design and modding site, because we have never been cutting edge for game strategy. But now most designers are simply using steam to cut AoKH out of the process.

The good news is the site is still running and there are still staff happy to do the minimal tasks to keep it going. I am willing to post some contests and see what the reactions are. PTC may bring a lot of old designers out of the woods for one last hurrah, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is an up tick in activity.

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 05-29-2019 @ 03:05 PM).]

Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 05-29-19 05:40 PM CT (US)     23 / 113       
Not to call any particular person out, but speaking personally, this forum became a little toxic in some areas a few years back, especially when politics and religion started getting discussed more often and user cliques became more common, with newcomers feeling more and more left out.
We know that some people don't want those topics in their face. It's been a difficult balancing act between the people who want to talk about them, and the people who want to avoid talking about them.

As Matt said, we've limited TC to specific threads for a long time now. I don't really see what other compromise we could make.

Obviously I don't want to alienate anyone. But I'm not sure what we could do differently. I've deliberately forced say-a-word to stay open because we sometimes get posts from people who aren't TC "regulars". It was how I first got into TC.

There used to be cliques, a long time ago. I don't think there are enough of us left to be a clique.

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-30-19 01:24 AM CT (US)     24 / 113       
I don't prefer PTCs personally. But except PTCs I can prefer or join most of other contest types like: Fantasy, Historical, Mini game, DtS, Fictional, Telling a story, Comedy, Drama, AoK Vanilla Contest ( 20th anniversary ) etc...
I don't prefer PTCs because it only occurs from map design. Only map design... I want to use my other elements in the contests.
Pyroptere
Squire
posted 05-30-19 05:48 AM CT (US)     25 / 113       
I agree with Zetnus: "I think part of it is the emergence of Discord servers [...] no one posts questions here anymore if they can get a faster answer on Discord (or reddit or whatever). It's still a good place to post guides and things for people to be able to search for and read in the future though."

Btw don't hesitate to join AoKH discord : https://discord.gg/ETuxSQw
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 05-30-19 05:16 PM CT (US)     26 / 113       
This place is dead mainly because no clear direction has been taken in previous 10 years or so. Also the horrible intrusive ads added at the end of last year are driving people away en masse. To make things even worse there is such a lack of activity and commitment, decision making and above all communication from the top of HG that any chance of reviving this place is now non existent.

Grab your favorite downloads and articles before things go down. Which I fear won't be too long from now.

It's been a fun ride.

HELLKNIGHT61
Squire
posted 05-31-19 02:01 AM CT (US)     27 / 113       
I also hate from those ads. They started to appear last year. They are appearing in the descriptions of my files. They hurt the organization of the descriptions of my files. I suddenly encounter with an ads that is between my 2 description lines.

I think that this website became "Old". ( 75 - 84 years )

1999 --> İnfant ( A few months )
2000 - 2002 --> Adolescence ( 12 - 18 year )
2002 - 2005 --> Young ( 18 - 35 year )
2005 - 2010 --> Mature ( Middle Age ) ( 35 - 50 year )
2010 - 2014 --> Older Mature ( 50 - 65 year )
2014 - 2019 --> Young Old ( 65 - 74 year )
2019+ --> Old ( 75 - 84 Year )
A few years later --> Old Old ( 85+ years )
A few years later again --> DEATH!!!..

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 05-31-2019 @ 02:02 AM).]

Devious Dev
Official Professional Qualified Noob
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
posted 05-31-19 10:06 AM CT (US)     28 / 113       
So this is it, then.
Julius999
Imposter
posted 05-31-19 04:38 PM CT (US)     29 / 113       
For those who (somehow) don't know it, I would recommend trying out AdBlock.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 05-31-19 08:43 PM CT (US)     30 / 113       
Unfortunately we don't have control over them. The site owners decided that new google ads should be delivered to help the site break even. They are intrusive and unpleasant. I do not use adblock in order to see the same experience as regular users.

Today is my 12th anniversary.

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 05-31-2019 @ 08:44 PM).]

rewaider
Squire
posted 05-31-19 09:40 PM CT (US)     31 / 113       
To be fair I'd say that like 90% of what's possible to do with AOK has been done already. So yeah, there's little to none 'fog of war' left to be explored nowadays.
Althought userpatch (1.5, specially) has brought billions of new possibilities, I'd say that this community is way too tired/busy/old to explore all of it all over again. To add it up, most of these new possibilities and pathways are only reachable through a lot of hard work (aka messing with UP-effect)... and lots of testing; and overall mastery of every single other design trick known to men, to back it up with solid and inventive mechanics.

Still, the site could have its last big moment when/if all these year-going projects using the new features of UP finally get released (yeah, I'm a part of the cause as well).

Oh, not to mention that *proceeds to beat the dead horse* HD edition didn't help much either (given the huge potential it once had to repopulate this community). I'm still kinda hopeful for DE tho, in a naive kind of way.

The truth is, designing scenarios in AOK is probably one of the least efficient ways you can spend your time on, due to its archaic interface and map editor. Is it fun? Of course, but it's probably one of the least productive ways to spend your free time on (specially if you're a crazy bastard that likes designing scenarios with thousands of triggers).

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 05-31-2019 @ 09:51 PM).]

Mahazona
Squire
posted 05-31-19 10:21 PM CT (US)     32 / 113       
I'd say that this community is way too tired/busy/old to explore all of it all over again
Indeed most of the old players have real life issues and less time to do anything else.
On the unit making building making front we dont have new members coming to fill the gaps of old modders,Even in HD side there is hardly anyone making new content.
panel
Squire
posted 06-01-19 00:36 AM CT (US)     33 / 113       
I think that some people finished their student life and they started business life. So they may be more busy than their student life in their business life.
That was certainly the case for me.

I still lurk around though, maybe once a month. And it's great to see many familiar names are still active. This place will always have a special meaning for me and I'll always come back to check up on it, so this topic caught my attention.

So I don't think it's dead, not even dying.

when I was very active and part of the staff (around 2012-2013) the SD&D forums were not extremely animated, so it's no surprise 6 years down the line activity went down a little bit from what it was. Same with download numbers, it's impossible to rival Steam. But it's about quality not quantity. And as Matt said, i am pretty sure this is still the place that holds the most knowledgeable and experienced people when it comes to designing in AOK.

Actually i think your topic motivated me. I'll be boosting my activity on here from now on

btw Popey, great to see you in orange
The Great Artiste
Serial No. 44-27353
(id: Great_Artiste)
posted 06-01-19 04:27 AM CT (US)     34 / 113       
As much as this site is old it's still sad that FE aren't at least mentioning it to the wider public. They apparently forgot their roots.

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 06-01-19 05:22 AM CT (US)     35 / 113       
Thanks, panel! It's been almost two years

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames