You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by HockeySam18

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Removing a scenario from Blacksmith
Bottom
Topic Subject:Removing a scenario from Blacksmith
Nomad519
Squire
posted 06-22-19 08:25 PM CT (US)         
Hi everyone,

About 10 or so years ago when I was a bored youngster I made and uploaded my attempt at a campaign - the AI scripting was my first foray into what would later become my profession - programming.

Anyway, I'd like to take the scenario down since, frankly, its kind of embarrassing. I can't find the button for deleting it anywhere on the site, can anyone help?
AuthorReplies:
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 06-23-19 09:15 AM CT (US)     1 / 2       
Let me tell you a story.

So back in 2003 I discovered this site. Ulio was the 'new thing', and I played it and was amazed. I then sorted the blacksmith by rating and started randomly downloading high rated scenarios. Then I came across Tannenburg, and well...my noob mind exploded.

I made a few horrible hack attempts at big FF battles in that style, the least atrocious of which I decided was worthy of submitting here. Looking back...it's not a particularly horrible scenario, but it's certainly not good either.

I flirted with taking that scenario down for years. As I got so much wiser in mine own eyes as a designer, I made new amazing things. Each of which was surely the Pinnacle of Entertainment(tm), my magnum opus. Within a year or two, I realized it was not as good as I thought it was, and I proceeded to ponder removing it from the blacksmith.

This leads me up to 2017, and the PTC. My entry, I decided, was simply the best the editor could be used to achieve. The judges were impressed too, and gave me a score of 146/150. That's almost perfect. The thing is, almost perfect was only good enough for third place! Almost perfect was worse than good, it was abject failure. I sulked about the tiniest mistakes I had made, obsessed over throwaway comments the judges had made that probably weren't anything more than nitpicks to justify one point differences in a tight competition.

I decided to take the scenario down, rework it as another scenario, and this one would be perfect. Somehow, real life got in the way, and I never took it down. Now a couple years removed, I'm glad I didn't. My scenario design journey is available for anyone to see, including those embarrassing first efforts. Other legendary designers have similar file collections. You can browse the blacksmith and find a time when Julius made noobish fantasy self important cutscenes, Lord Basse's English was a bit wonky and his jokes were lost in translation from Swedish, and Mashek made cold and dark scenarios (well, some things stay the same).

So...leave your scenario up. We all have an embarrassing first scenario! It just adds to the character of the site.

Of course, if you really want it removed, I can take it down for you. Just post the link.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 06-23-2019 @ 09:15 AM).]

Nomad519
Squire
posted 06-23-19 02:56 PM CT (US)     2 / 2       
Haha you got much further in scenario design than I did :P

To be honest, I just briefly dabbled in scenario creation when I was like 12. I'll probably never actually get around to making anything else (my interests lie elswehere now), although I still check out the latest top rated scenarios.

I guess I'm really self conscious about it, but then again I was a literal child. Guess I'll leave it up and hope someone has a laugh playing it.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames