You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The AI in my scenario is too docile
Bottom
Topic Subject:The AI in my scenario is too docile
SafeKeeper
Squire
posted 01-31-20 03:41 PM CT (US)         
So I'm making a B&D scenario where you're supposed to launch a surprise attack into a barony and need to advance quickly because the enemy civ starts off with a small army and few villagers, but has many resources and a large gold income, so that they relatively quickly will outproduce you. There's also a second immobile civ with strong units guarding important sites.

Problem is, the regular civ doesn't attack. It sends its villagers and trade carts to work, naturally, and builds some military units, including battering rams, but never goes on the offensive.

The AI has resource sites and buildings all over the map, but I'm not sure if that's the problem. I took away all their town centres but one to see if that was the problem, but I'm not sure if that had too much effect either.

Anyone have an idea what I could do to make the AI more aggressive?
I'm attaching the scenario if anyone wants to give it a go (HD edition), but it'd be nice if anyone had some general advice. Cheers!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/v3tmulz6h85fpw2/Falckwick.aoe2scenario/file

(In general, the scenario is pretty WIP and unbalanced and has no proper intro or anything, but it's fully playable. Basically you have 15 minutes to bolster the Two Fangs fort (the orange fort to the SE of your town) by sending units there until war begins. You can trigger hostilities early by selecting the City Wall tower at the entrance to your town. Then expand west, securing as many adjacent towns as you can before the palisade east is breached, at which point you'll sign a truce with Blue and Cyan, leaving you to focus on saving your own town. Again, pretty WIP, I'm submitting it only for AI feedback ).
AuthorReplies:
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 01-31-20 05:46 PM CT (US)     1 / 2       
Hey, unfortunately I don't have the time to play through the scenario at the moment, but I had a quick glance at it!

I'm guessing that you are using the standard AI for the scenario? What I would do is create an AI specifically for the scenario, either from scratch or by borrowing from AIs made for other B&D scenarios. That way you have a lot more control over how the enemy behaves. It can seem like a bit of a daunting task if you've never done it before, but it doesn't take all that long to get a hang of the basics. If you want to, you can take a look at the B&D AIs in my campaign "The Relics of Athalėn", I believe there are 4 different ones there. And those, in turn, borrow a lot from an older campaign called "The Frankish Throne", which I can also recommend for its AIs.

What you can do, then, is to use triggers to signal the AI to become more agressive. Say, at the 15 minute mark you use the effect "Set AI Signal" and pick, say, #10. In the AI script, when the AI reads that signal, you can tell it to "attack-now", or change its general attack strategy, for instance telling it to start attacking every 10 minutes and with larger armies than before, and so on.

I recommend using a program called ScriptEd, which unfortunately doesn't seem to have been uploaded to the Blacksmith. You can find it here!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |Æ| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |Æ|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalėn (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
SafeKeeper
Squire
posted 01-31-20 06:44 PM CT (US)     2 / 2       
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I think I'll end up going for a custom AI script, but I'm hoping there's some obvious mistake I'm making that it'd be easy to fix :P . Is there an AI code that makes the AI really defensive once they have collected every relic on the map? Because they start out controlling all three relics in the game.

I'll try out ScriptED, thanks for the advice .
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames