Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Sheep Breeding
Bottom
Topic Subject:Sheep Breeding
masqcrew
Squire
posted 05-23-20 12:24 PM CT (US)         
Hi,

Had an idea to breed sheep. Easy enough to reproduce sheep. Bring two sheep to a certain area and they have a baby ... spawn a sheep.

The problem is triggering a reasonable repeat. I tried "owning" fewer objects in area and then activating the breeding sheep trigger again, but all the player would have to do is move a sheep out of the area and then back in again.

Part of me wants to prevent the player from breeding too many sheep. I could set a timer so that a player can only breed sheep every so often.

Is there another method I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance.
AuthorReplies:
Julius999
Imposter
posted 05-23-20 07:00 PM CT (US)     1 / 10       
It seems like it would make most sense for this to be a gradual process, with the speed depending on how many sheep are in the breeding zone.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
masqcrew
Squire
posted 05-23-20 07:03 PM CT (US)     2 / 10       
Look what you've done. (sarcasm) You've thrown another monkey wrench.

What would be gradual? The reproduction or the time in between? Or something else altogether?

[This message has been edited by masqcrew (edited 05-23-2020 @ 07:03 PM).]

Nowhere
Squire
(id: NowhereT)
posted 05-24-20 05:25 AM CT (US)     3 / 10       
I made a scenario way back (I think an incomplete defend the spot entry) that had a morally questionable breeding mechanism because I didn't like the unrealistic "create villager" method.

It worked on the principle that you sent a man/soldier to the local "brothel" (actually a moored up transport ship - it needed to be garrison-able) and for a few gold pieces he would have an enjoyable few seconds and then emerge with a bastard boy.

Obviously the "lore" was that he collected someone else's son from a few years prior, but I felt it was a more realistic way of building up your troops in a DtS.

I've realised having written this that it's not very relevant to your question, sorry!

Perhaps make the "area" from your method be a huge area - e.g. the whole map? Or lock the gate to the breeding pen periodically?

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
Most Missed Forummer (FotY-2012)
Julius999
Imposter
posted 05-24-20 09:10 AM CT (US)     4 / 10       
About being gradual, I think what you want is a system that doesn't involve sheep multiplying out of all control like a nanobot plague. Try this:

Trigger 1 (looping)
Condition Objects in Area: 2 sheep in the pen
Condition Timer: 5
Effect Change Variable: Increase Variable by 1.

Trigger 2 is the same but applies when there are 4 sheep in the pen rather than 2.

Trigger 3 is the same but applies when there are 6 sheep in the pen.

Trigger 4 is the same but for 8 sheep.

Trigger 5 (looping)
Condition Variable Value: 10
Effect Change Variable: Reduce Variable by 10
Effect Create Object: Sheep in a corner of the pen.
Effect Task Object: Moves newly created sheep.

Of course, you can adjust the numbers to taste and you can make your AoK sheep-breeding simulator arbitrarily more complex.

You can't use variables quite so easily if you are not using DE. However, you can do the same thing in earlier versions of the game by using a resource stockpile that is not being used for anything else (stone for an AI that doesn't gather or build anything, for example).

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 05-24-2020 @ 09:16 AM).]

masqcrew
Squire
posted 05-24-20 12:41 PM CT (US)     5 / 10       
You can't use variables quite so easily if you are not using DE.
I'm using DE so variables aren't a problem. I like how in your version the sheep isn't created until you have a herd of them.

I've even thought about having two pens, and the player would have to herd the flock from one side to the other in order to simulate another generation. That mixed with a timer would probably prevent a sheep explosion.

Work the flock into the story. Certain story elements could open up the sequence of sheep herding triggers.

Thanks for the replies, by the way. (With such an old forum, I wasn't sure what response I was going to get.)
Perhaps make the "area" from your method be a huge area - e.g. the whole map? Or lock the gate to the breeding pen periodically?
Making the area huge is a good idea. Perhaps not the whole map since leaving the area would trigger the sequence again ... AKA ... herding a flock from one area to another.

Are stone gates the only ones that can be locked?

Also, I like your brothel story. Which makes me wonder... Can a scenario creator disable the create villager button forcing the population to grow ... naturally?

[This message has been edited by masqcrew (edited 05-24-2020 @ 12:47 PM).]

Julius999
Imposter
posted 05-24-20 04:22 PM CT (US)     6 / 10       
I suggest you think about how prominent an element it makes sense to have it be. Unless the scenario is all about how an agricultural community uses their sheep-breeding acumen to overcome their foes, you probably don't want it to be fiddly and complicated. You don't want it to be too much of a distraction from the main event.

As you say, the forum is old, but there a handful of people still kicking around who will offer an answer or a comment if one comes to mind.

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 05-24-2020 @ 04:40 PM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 05-26-20 05:04 PM CT (US)     7 / 10       
Age of Mythology has this kind of thing baked into the game, but im not sure it really adds too much gameplay. Maybe make your scenario entirely focused around it, or just not include it at all if its taking design time away from other elements.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Nowhere
Squire
(id: NowhereT)
posted 05-27-20 04:19 AM CT (US)     8 / 10       
Also, I like your brothel story. Which makes me wonder... Can a scenario creator disable the create villager button forcing the population to grow ... naturally?
IIRC in this particular scenario villagers had no purpose other than to be trained into soldiers - so I think I just disabled all buildings (or, knowing me, just gave the player no wood to start with ) to make sure they couldn't build a TC

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
Most Missed Forummer (FotY-2012)
duyhung2h
Squire
posted 05-27-20 10:25 PM CT (US)     9 / 10       
You can use the "Change train location" effect and assign the unit "Villager" into a building that never appear in your scenario (For ex. Granary) and it will only be trained through Granary while disable creating villager originally on TCs.

My aspiring new creation for DE:
Gensokyo: Season of Calamity
El Nath (Winner of ZeroEmpires designer contest)
More are in the work...
masqcrew
Squire
posted 05-28-20 11:56 AM CT (US)     10 / 10       
Age of Mythology has this kind of thing baked into the game, but im not sure it really adds too much gameplay.
I can see where it would get tedious, so it would need to be integral to the story. And perhaps not needed the whole time.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames