You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.95 replies, Sticky
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » AoK Strategy Articles Collection
Bottom
Topic Subject:AoK Strategy Articles Collection
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Qazitory
HG Alumnus
posted 11-29-04 01:41 PM CT (US)         
Qazitory's Hand Picked Articles to AoK:TC Playing 2004
Based on dragons89's The Ultimate AOK Guide concept.

During my years playing Age of Kings, I've seen a lot of different strategies, ways of thinking, civilization specific threads and wonderful recorded games. Since dragons89's old guide was outdated, and most of the links were broken, I decided to create a whole new post collection. The function is slightly different though, I decreased the number of posts in order for the best threads to stand out. Don't worry though, there's still plenty of threads here.
Please note: Some of the articles here are in post archives, which can only be viewed by registered users.

The very basics

The things listed in this section are very basics for playing this game, and if you intend to be any good at this game, you should learn these.

Luring a boar - Boars have 340 meat each. You just can't let it go, especially because it's one of the fastest ways of gathering food.
Game basics - Some basics on villager production, scouting etc.
Economy basics - Here are some tips to keep your economy running
Scouting basics - If you don't find your resources in time, your opponent will.

Newbie Guides

Most of these guides are somewhat old. This means, the strategies in them don't usually work against human opponents any more. However, the ideas in them are still valuable to new players. You learn the basics very well from them.

Newbie Guide to AOK - This guide by Captn_Kidd is a good start. The guide is very old and the strategies definetly don't work anymore, but it's still a good read for beginners.
OEK's Fast Castle Guide - One Eyed King's Fast Castle Guide for the Terminally Slow is a very good read. While the Fast Castle strategy is not a viable one in 1v1 or 2v2 games anymore, it's still an important step when learning the game. It teaches you to run a good economy.
Grumpy Old Farts' Road of Kings - This guide gives a fairly good insight into how to practice starts. I hate to give this piece of advice, but 'take with a pinch of salt'. Not everything is as black/white the guides makes them to be.
Hotkeys - learn to use them right - A first touch to hotkeys in AoE2:TC. Learning hotkeys makes you a better player, no matter how good you're already.
Road to Expert - An excellent guide written by Ralber.
Recommended Civs for a New Player - Not all civs are equally easy to play. Doug Thompson gives advice to new players in choosing a civ to start with. Read the replies as well, there are some good points.
Tips from Gamers:Slugur - Slugur's tips here are of high importance to new players. This is a must read.
Maps overview - ES maps listed with short descriptions and good instructions.

Strategies

Flush

Don't think of it as a Feudal rush anymore. It is the way the game is played. It is not a rush. That's the first hurdle in thinking the game properly. - DaRq_Minos

The history links here include old flushes, which no longer work against real opponents. They've been included mainly to provide insight into why flushing is important, and of course the historical value. If you're impatient or want to read just one article, read the first one.

Modern
The Flush by Stevay - If you read just one article in this whole guide, make sure it's this.
Tips for Flushing - Good tips, especially from Minos.
A basic flush record - An example of a modern flush, by Chichiri.

Slaghter's Mongol Fast Archer Rush - Something different here. Scroll down for Myll_Slaghter's post with the build order and records.

History
A Fast Feudal Rush - The first flush is often contributed to Gutter_Rat. It included a very fast feudal and an attack with archers.
Mongol Power Flush - An interesting concept into using the Mongol hunting bonus to full extent. Forget the archers and the 3 archery ranges and you may get some ideas into your own playing as Mongols.

Fast castle

Fast Castle, while practically useless in 1v1 and 2v2, still holds its place in bigger team games. Fast castles usually have about 16-17 minute knight rushes.

Slaghter's Knight Rush - A 15:10 castle with knights from 2 stables.

Drush
Dark Age Rushing (Drush) is one of the most controversial strategies out there. It's unquestionably a strategy which can be used to gain a powerful advantage by harassing enemy villagers and maybe even killing them with militia, but some say it's just a waste of time and good players know how to counter it.
However, it's been extensively used even on the highest skill levels on the zone. Go figure. (In recent times, especially with the Master of Huns tournament, drushing has become the #1 strat for 1v1 hun wars. - DaVe)

DRUSH - An old guide. However, it has a couple of good points. The modern drush doesn't usually include having many more than a couple of militia.
Drushing by CutthroatSkunk - A pretty nice article on drushing. Should give you a good idea on what your aims are.

KLEW
KLEW stands for Kidd's Lightning Eagle Warrior. It's basically a very fast castle (~14 minutes) followed by a few eagle warriors. On today's criteria, it's not very useful - but a funny strategy to try. The economy is very weak though, so don't expect it to do wonders (read: anything) vs good opponents.
KLEW by Kidd - A copy of the original article.
Mayan Power Klew - An alternative to Kidd's build order

The Douche

Douching involves deleting your Town Center and rebuilding it next to the enemy town center, using it as an attack weapon. Usually done by civs with TC bonii, such as Persians and Byzantines. Usually doesn't work, if the enemy knows what he's doing.

THE DOUCHE - The Dark Age Rush - Out4Blood's short article on how to do it.
Douche databases - Trouble_4_U's excellent posts on Douching. A bit old, though.
A Douche of Islands - Don't take this rec by Annoyomous (aka. TrixR4Kidz) too seriously, but it's nevertheless funny

MUSH/SMUSH

A monk rush was a clever innovation when people were still going for fast castles. Nowadays, trying a monk rush will get you killed by a flusher - but if you get the chance to try it sometime, go for it! It's fun

The Smush - Saracen monk rush by Out4Blood.
Flammifer's Japanese Monk Rush - A well thought out post.

Grush
Grush (Galley Rush) hasn't changed much during the last few years. It's basically the way water maps are played - if you aren't afraid to get your feet wet on water maps, you can't miss these articles.

Crappy Grushing - A very good and detailed guide to grushing. Read this.
Anyone here wanna learn how to GUSH ? - The scenario here practically holds your hand when you do a grush. You just can't fail with it.
Galley Rushing - Another great article of Grushing, by Lightning_CN.
Slaghter's Grush - A Grush build order by Myll_Slaghter (the third post in the thread).
_NeT_AnGeLs_: Grushing - A grush article from _NeT_ clan.

Fireship Rush
The knight rush of water maps. Still viable in 3v3 and 4v4 games.

Slaghter's Fireship rush - A build order for Fireship rush with Persians (the second post in the thread).

Dock First
- Persians are about the only civ that can build a dock before a lumber camp with standard resources. This can give you a very good boost and on migration, it's usually an important skill to learn.

The Sheriff's Persian Dock First by Captn_KIdd - A very good how-to article.
A record by Slamdrew - A demonstration of dock first

Tips and Helpful information

Useful Tips For Every Player - Chichiri's advice here is not just for newbies, but applies to good players as well. He shows some important points, largely ignored.
Booming - A nice guide for learning booming. Make a note to ignore the military aspect of the guide, though.
Little Known Strategies of the Greats - Winston posted a long series of good articles, well worth the read.
ME_Count_Rahl's tips - Sometimes knowing your goals is more important than having all the best strategies memorized.
Sending villagers back to work easier - A helpful hint from Simfish
Swp's Guide to House Starts - Not all civs have the same kind of start: not knowing what to do in the first couple of seconds will cost you tenfold in the future.
MFO: Mental Strategies - A very good and up-to date article by WH_Eclipse
An Arabian Thought Process from an 1800's head - A detailed guide on how to improve your game.

Deathmatch

DeathMatch -- The Basics - Tonto_DaVe explains the basics of DeathMatch, a good read for starters.
DM - Hun Wars - Huns are the most powerful DM civ because of their bonuses, read this and you'll understand why.

Land Nomad

Land Nomad by Intimatum - The most extensive guide I've seen written on this map. Very good stuff. Be sure to read all of Intimatum's posts in this thread, the guide continues even after the initial posts.
Land Nomad - Understanding the Map - An analysis of the map. Gives a good insight into what the map offers.

Tests and Stats

Unit vs unit tests Summary - Gaparr64's tests, practically everything tested you could ever wish for.
The first issue of Some Things to Think About - Sir Marf of Ans did some nice tests, although they're not done in Gaparrian manner, they're still high quality.
Unique units vs their counterparts - Sir Marf of Ans providing yet more excellent tests.
The complete guide to Saracen market - The Saracen Market bonus is definetly the hardest bonus to use in the game. Reading this article should make it a bit easier.
Unit Upgrade Chart - Forging or Scale mail first for Pikes? Find out here.
Economic Upgrades - Very good analysis on economic upgrades.
Unit Tables - Unit statistics database.
How Monks Really work - An extensive research of how converting works.
Rates of Fire - Keep in mind that the Japanese ROF bonus is now a constant, the article is pre-patch.
Trade Carts - Excellent analysis on how much gold trade carts produce.

Civilization Post Collections Summary - Some post collections listed

•Qazitory•
•AoE3 rating: Qazitory
My AoE3:TWC mods: QazUI - Treasure - Main Menu - Low Lag HC - Deck selection•
•Guide my keystrokes, keep my programs alive, protect me from viruses, back up my drive.•

[This message has been edited by TOAO_DaVe (edited 02-27-2010 @ 09:04 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
skizm
Squire
posted 08-25-08 08:39 AM CT (US)     76 / 95       
Nice tutorials!

Regarding the resource table rates: Is picking berries really so competitive with shepherding?

Lately, I've neglected them for farming, but may have to reconsider ..
Belisar
Squire
posted 08-25-08 03:11 PM CT (US)     77 / 95       
I got a question. Or better, i got several questions.

1) Can anybody post a tutorial / build order / anything similar on how to flood knigts? (I mean, 4vs4, you are mid postition. "Normally" you got 1 or 2 stables, make some knights and boom. But on the L-Clan page i found some posts that mention real flooding from 6-8 stables =O which beats the normal thing.)
I probably wouldnt manage 6 stables (I've heard 8 are guys like Chris etc.) but maybe 4.

2) Someone there asked weather the articles on heavengames are still current... The answer was no! That somewhat makes me think...

Thanks. But i guess that noone active here can really answer my questions =( maiby Slaughter knows, but he doesnt show up here anyway i guess.
skizm
Squire
posted 08-26-08 06:55 AM CT (US)     78 / 95       
Here's an article titled '20 Knights in 20 minutes' found within one of the link pages:

http://www.salamyhkaiset.org/aoe2/20_knights_in_20_minutes

Semi-outdated, but entitles some seemingly good foundations for barreling-out horses.

[This message has been edited by skizm (edited 08-26-2008 @ 06:59 AM).]

ivan55599
Squire
posted 08-29-08 04:31 AM CT (US)     79 / 95       
question: why goths have gunpower technology (hand cannooneer, siege cannon), although they were in 5th century?
four hundred babies
Squire
(id: Lord_Fadawah)
posted 09-03-08 02:55 AM CT (US)     80 / 95       
Because that's what the Goths would have used if they'd survived into the 14th century.
beastman chief
Squire
posted 10-18-08 10:32 PM CT (US)     81 / 95       
"The Flush by Stevay - If you read just one article in this whole guide, make sure it's this."

well it's not available anymore how am I supposed to read it.
I mean upload it again if you can please
Aro
AoKH Dictator
posted 10-18-08 10:39 PM CT (US)     82 / 95       
well it's not available anymore how am I supposed to read it.
We underwent a website revamp; we plan on transferring most (if not all) of the articles up here onto our site and then updating this topic.

You can find Steve's Flush Article in our University.

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"
ban_midou
Squire
posted 02-08-09 06:21 PM CT (US)     83 / 95       
Here's an article titled '20 Knights in 20 minutes' found within one of the link pages:

http://www.salamyhkaiset.org/aoe2/20_knights_in_20_minutes

Semi-outdated, but entitles some seemingly good foundations for barreling-out horses.
I have seen this everywhere and i wanted to ask this seemingly very important question:
We all play online with the game speed = fast
So wen u say 20 knights in 20 minutes
what 20 minutes is this....the real 20 minutes or the game time....the one the clock shows on the top???
sly_guy
Squire
posted 02-08-09 08:20 PM CT (US)     84 / 95       
They'd be referring to the game time.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.
ban_midou
Squire
posted 02-11-09 07:18 PM CT (US)     85 / 95       
so lemme get this straight...
if i have the same civilization, do the same steps (and i mean exactly the same steps)

just basically repeating the game in normal and fast game speed, i shud be getting the same result in both cases right..
for eg:
if i start off with a civ , i play with game speed = fast,
same map and game, so resources placements are same, i do the exact same build order and feudal in 12.XX

then with thee same game and civ, i again do the exact same steps, (take it as i have written them down, dont tell me "u cannot be doing the same steps" :P

i shud again be feudalling at the same time ,
or will it differ?

I wud think it may not differ since as the time advancement is slow, so is working rate of the vills)
but i cud be wrong , or maybe half correct!!
Hell Sinky
Squire
(id: Commander Scipio)
posted 02-11-09 08:50 PM CT (US)     86 / 95       
same map and game
If you play an Arabia, then finish, then start another Arabia, the map will not be the same. It will still seem like Arabia, but the resources will be in different locations and cliffs and forests and water, etc.

Unless you use the exact same map saved and replayed over and over again.

"Scipio is more charismatic than you are." -Rocking Doom
"Scipio ... narcissistic ... overly arrogant cuckold ... noble souls and gentlemen, ... spare a second ... basic and ennui existence ... feeble pleasure ... his life more bearable ... monotony of stoic reality." *-Scud
"SCIPIO YOU SUN BITCH" -TOAO_Roland
ban_midou
Squire
posted 02-12-09 05:34 PM CT (US)     87 / 95       
thats basically what i was trying to say..i wont change, just replay the game...having the same map..do the exact same steps..
but in different speeds...
so will i get the same feudal and castle "GAME TIMES"

[This message has been edited by ban_midou (edited 02-12-2009 @ 05:44 PM).]

sly_guy
Squire
posted 02-12-09 06:11 PM CT (US)     88 / 95       
Unlikely, since fast speed requires the same amount of micro in a shorter period of time. (I know I can't, at least...)

That being said, I do believe there are some people who practice by playing on fast speed, and then in the games where it counts, they play on normal speed.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.
ban_midou
Squire
posted 02-13-09 10:51 PM CT (US)     89 / 95       
hypothetically, and for pete's sake, i state it again....hypothetically, IF and really by some miracle of god IF i do the same exact steps in FAST and NORMAL speeds, do i get the same feudal times..... neither am i here to do these things nor is it possible practically to do the exact same things....but i am only asking to know about the mechanics of the game...

lol
Vantek
Banned
posted 02-14-09 11:26 AM CT (US)     90 / 95       
Slow speed:
one villager takes 25 seconds in game time to build
transition from dark to feudal takes 2 minutes 10 seconds game time
working villagers gather about 0,3 resource per game second

Normal speed:

Fast speed:

etc. etc. etc.

Therefore yes, if you miraculously have the same amount of idle time throughout all speeds, you get the exact same progress in game time.

IIRC on slow speed game second = real life second, on normal speed 1,5 game seconds = 1 real life second, on fast speed 2 game seconds = 1 real life seconds. Don't quote me on this though.
tushar
Banned
posted 07-09-09 10:08 AM CT (US)     91 / 95       
Modern
The Flush by Stevay - If you read just one article in this whole guide, make sure it's this.
Tips for Flushing - Good tips, especially from Minos.
A basic flush record - An example of a modern flush, by Chichiri.
I wasn't able to access these three articles and the fourth one(just below these) has attachments(recs) that require registration to download.

[This message has been edited by Tushar (edited 07-09-2009 @ 10:08 AM).]

TOAO_Imperial_5
Squire
(id: DDRMAX2)
posted 07-09-09 10:36 PM CT (US)     92 / 95       
links do need to be updated

I believe you can find a link to steve's flush article a few pages back.

==============
| Imperial_5 |
==============
| Proud Member of TOAO Clan |
| Find me on AoE2HD: TOAO_Fano |
AGT_Ishan
Squire
posted 10-19-12 08:18 AM CT (US)     93 / 95       
KLEW
KLEW stands for Kidd's Lightning Eagle Warrior. It's basically a very fast castle (~14 minutes) followed by a few eagle warriors. On today's criteria, it's not very useful - but a funny strategy to try. The economy is very weak though, so don't expect it to do wonders (read: anything) vs good opponents.
KLEW by Kidd - A copy of the original article.
Mayan Power Klew - An alternative to Kidd's build order
The link for KLEW by Kidd is UNAVAILABLE.

An alternative KLEW link is available here

I do not want to foresee the future. I am concerned with taking care of the present. God has given me no control over the moment following.

--Mahatma Gandhi

[This message has been edited by AGT_Ishan (edited 10-20-2012 @ 02:40 AM).]

s1l3ntOptiCoN
Squire
posted 04-23-13 02:00 AM CT (US)     94 / 95       
nice tips... thank you.
Saegan
Squire
posted 06-14-14 07:24 PM CT (US)     95 / 95       
Unfortunately it appears that the galley rush article link is no longer valid (this is sadly true for a number of the links listed above).

I do want to say that I am very thankful for the majority of the strategy guides on here. They greatly transformed my game and changed me from a noob, to a decent player.

I think the fact that the players and strategies have changed over time and this game is still being discussed over a decade after its creation just illustrates how great this game truly is.

[This message has been edited by Saegan (edited 01-10-2018 @ 10:06 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames